PDA

View Full Version : Most non-damaging styling product

Erin1152
September 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hello! :) I invested in a set of wrap snap and go rollers a little while ago. While I am a very sensative sleeper and can't sleep in them, I do have a couple of hours in the mornings to put them in before work. Problem is, when I take them down, in less than an hour my hair is flat again. I was wondering what the least damaging styling product i could use would be? I use Giovanni shampoo and conditioner and I have noticed they have some styling products. I'm not sure if just because it's organic means it won't hurt my hair, though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Rivanariko
September 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Aloe vera gel makes my hair hold braid waves much better than it would by itself, I'd imagine it would have the same affect for rag curls. It doesn't hold like an actual styling gel, so it doesn't give that crunchy, damaging feeling, but it just seems to make my hair a little more pliable.

Also, if you hair is slightly damp before you put it in the curlers, that might help. Not sopping wet, if it will take a while to dry, but maybe just spritz it with a water bottle and comb it through before putting the rollers in. That also makes a difference with my hair. If I try to heat-style my hair I have to use bottles upon bottles of product to hold it and basically turn my hair into a cement block, but if I do it when it's slightly damp and use a little aloe gel and no heat, it seems to cooperate much better.
HTH :)

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I second aloe gel... maybe even mix it w/ a few drops coconut oil... my bun waves come out great when I do this. I use fruit of the Earth Aloe gel, alcohol free, 100% aloe and get it at walmart

Erin1152
September 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Thank you Rivanariko and marikamt! I will put a little aloe in slightly damp hair the next time I try the rollers!

Before I found LHC, I used to heat roll and use hairspray and I would STILL lose the curl after a little while and my hair would just be sticky. Bleh.

It would be so much easier if I would've just been blessed with curly hair. :)

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM
There's also flax seed gel (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14852) that can give you holding power, although I'm not sure how much hold can you really expect from your hair, it's rather straight.

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
If you don't get enough hold from aloe, there are some decent alcohol and silicone free gels out there. I think LA Looks is one brand that didn't have too nasty an ingredients list, when I read it. Definitely not organic, though.

may1em
September 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I use aloe.

Kiss My Face also makes a decent gel, and Giovanni's sunset styling lotion isn't bad (but it's a tiny bit crunchifying).

Check out the Reviews section - there's tons of stuff on there.

Sister13
September 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I've heard about using sugar dissolved in hot water, then cooled + put in a spray bottle. It supposed to dry with decent hold. I haven't tried it.

I also imagine that why some non-LHCers use Sprite/7Up for hold as well.

Cheap, may be worth a try.

Fractalsofhair
September 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Gelatin mixed with water will give you amazing hold(Mohawk hold level. Sadly, it's not vegetarian. So I stick to hair spray when I do my hair all crazy). I'm pretty sure it's non damaging as well. It's protein though.

Flax seed gel, hair gel, pomade(depending on the style), shea butter, hairspray(damaging to a small degree. Nothing like heat styling though!), sugar+water, Aloe gel, and those are all that I know of.

However, when I do my hair, I don't generally go for "soft" curls, but either wild pin curls(which I do use hairspray on), brushed out waves(a bit of gel), mohawk(pomade+glue), and for teased hair, I do use hairspray. Shea butter, pomade, gel and aloe gel all work very well at slicking hair back and preventing frizz.

pilateschick7
September 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I really like Aubrery Organic's styling products available online at Vitacost and in stores like Whole Foods Grocery. This is a link to their website. My favorite product is Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf and Ginseng Moisturizing Jelly. It gives decent hold but not crunchy and smells good. It also comes out easily with cowashing.

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=512

I also love Flax Seed Gelee. I am unable to get consistent results with boiling times and messyness of my homemade gel so I cheat and purchase it. I use Botticelle Botanicals on Etsy. She makes each batch to order with additives of your choosing. I also use the Brulee. Her products give me some of the best curls and hold.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28670457

freecelt
September 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Gelatin mixed with water will give you amazing hold(Mohawk hold level. Sadly, it's not vegetarian. So I stick to hair spray when I do my hair all crazy). I think you can get vegetarian gelatin. That sounds cool though.

Fractalsofhair
September 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I think you can get vegetarian gelatin. That sounds cool though.

Hehe, I do have shorter hair at this point, so it is fun to play with! Vegetarian gelatin, I've never seen anything that does anything other than pectin, which would just make my hair sticky(Though it does make a sort of jello type stuff).