PDA

View Full Version : Torrin's Vintage-y Updo -- Fixing the Front

longgone
September 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
So I've done this one (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#play/uploads/7/8u4neDtqsDk) a few times now and I've managed to get the back under control and neatened up... What I'm having trouble with is getting the front to look decent.... I've watched the video a whole bunch of times and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the reason mine doesn't look as good in the front is that I don't have bangs... What happens is that the rolls on the sides by my ears end up being loose and messy and the top center kinda falls to the sides as it dries (or immediately if it is already dry) leaving me with a sort of part and a very flat look...

Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem or things I might be able to alter that would make the front look better would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

longgone
September 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Ooops... I wasn't in the forum I thought I was in.... Can someone with permissions move this for me... Thanks.

WavyGirl
September 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Maybe start with a half up and then do the style from there? That should keep the centre together. You might have to live with the "fixings" on show though, or you could pin the finished 'do up higher to cover it. You can pin the lose sides along their length if they're too baggy.

My only other suggestion would be to gently brush (or comb with a fine toothed comb) the center and use a bit of spray or gel to hold it.

Tornerose
September 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM
If I went to the right video, it's the one you can use a TopsyTail a bunch of times for?

You could try a topsy tail, wich would allow the starting pony to sit tigher and see if that helps? You could also try twisting your hair alittle before putting it into the pony, perhaps? Also make sure you comb your hair straight backwards, if you're used to having a parting or something, I'm guessing your hair will naturally go back to the parting when you let go of your grip,

longgone
September 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I think you might be right about the Topsy Tail helping it sit tighter... Now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on one... It's not something I'm going to find around here and mail ordering one item is a pain because the postage is usually more than the item... Perhaps it's time for another email to Mom... I need a bunch of little items anyway...

Fiferstone
September 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think Harriet Carter still sells the topsy tail...hope that helps.

I just do a variant of what Torrin does, I stick my two thumbs up behind the elastic after I've loosened the ponytail, and "flip" upside down, grab the hair and pull it through.

longgone
September 24th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I just do a variant of what Torrin does, I stick my two thumbs up behind the elastic after I've loosened the ponytail, and "flip" upside down, grab the hair and pull it through.

I can do that, but I'm having a problem with the sides being too loose and the front not looking polished enough... Someone suggested earlier in the thread that if I used a Topsytail I might be able to keep the original pony tail tighter and then the sides might stay better... I think they may have a point which is why I want to try that out...

I still like the style and will probably work on improving the back, but I can't use it for work (which sadly I start again next month -- been loving my between jobs vacation) unless I can get the front to look more polished... Oh, and I need to get hairpins too because the big updo clip I'm using now to hold it up isn't appropriate for work either... If I can get the front under control and some hairpins, this style will be great... It's already handy because (when I forgo the hair clip) I can wear a bike helmet without messing it up or having the helmet sit funny...

Tornerose
September 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM
You don't have to use a topsy tail though, you can make your own device. Or try circular knitting needles (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Knitting_needle_sizes_circular.png) or a stiffened scrunchie attached to chopsticks etc... the possibilities are endless.

fluffybunny
September 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I tried circular knitting needles but it wouldn't work. If any hair goes between the two needles when you insert it, then it won't pull through. Hmmm, maybe I just needed to put my finger over the points or something? There must be a way...

Tornerose
September 25th, 2009, 10:11 AM
You could perhaps try twisting the knitting needles before pulling trhough, etc? I remember when I saw the commercials for topsy tail as a kid (before I bought it), i ran straight to my mums knitting stuff and tried her circular needles. The loop was alittle too big for my hair, but I got the hang of a technique after a few attempts.

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2013, 03:35 PM
The style is cute.