PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes mid-back?

Sarah4983
September 23rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I am just past bsl; is mid-back between bsl and waist?

Here is my length now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=51054

wintersun99
September 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

jojo
September 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
I define it as your length, like the above poster said between BSL and WL.

Quixii
September 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I'd say between shoulder blade length and waist. :)

Sarah4983
September 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
So I'd only have a few inches to go?

GlennaGirl
September 23rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
So I'd only have a few inches to go?

No, it looks like you're there now.

I always think of MBL and BSL--true BSL, like, covering the bottom of the strap--as the same thing.

Sarah4983
September 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
No, it looks like you're there now.

I always think of MBL and BSL--true BSL, like, covering the bottom of the strap--as the same thing.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! :cheese:

teela1978
September 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I always thought MBL was a gender-neutral description of BSL.

Dars
September 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Same here.

Kaileida
September 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I assumed MBL was after BSL but before waist. Hence, the "mid back abyss". :D

Sarah4983
September 24th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Well that makes sense :)

I always thought mid back length had a definition, like, the exact point between bsl and waist... So now I guess not :)

When I look at pictures of my own hair it doesn't look as long as someone else's with the same length. I wonder why that is... I don't give myself enough credit I guess lol :o

florenonite
September 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM

When I first saw MBL I thought of it as "Male BSL" :oops: Yeah, I don't know how my mind got "male bra strap length" from MBL.

I tend to consider midback to be slightly below BSL. To me you reach the upper end of BSL when your hair starts touching the bra strap, and you're at BSL until your hair fully covers it. After your hair covers the bra strap and goes beyond, but isn't at waist, then it's midback, IMO.

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I always thought mid-back is halfway between BSL and waist. That area clearly lacks a milestone. The-the-t-t-the WASTEland :lol:

JamieLeigh
September 24th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I've always thought of BSL and Midback as one and the same also.....but if it makes the transition from BSL to Waist easier to manage, you should put Midback between BSL and Waist, so you'll hit a milestone and stay excited about your growth journey. :twocents:

Sarah4983
September 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I've always thought of BSL and Midback as one and the same also.....but if it makes the transition from BSL to Waist easier to manage, you should put Midback between BSL and Waist, so you'll hit a milestone and stay excited about your growth journey. :twocents:

Haha exactly!!! I will mark the mbl point....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=51105

Is this correct???? I LOVE the mid back length addition... Will make getting to waist easier :)

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Sarah4983, I thought your BSL was slightly lower. It's supposed to be the line in front, right under the breasts. Some bra straps tend to be higher on the back though (which indicates bad fit btw!). It's somewhat a vague length, on your back, I'd just divide the length between APL to waist in 3 equal parts - APL-BSL, BSL-midback and midback-waist (same might go for our men who try to grow it long, although BSL would sound kind of out-of-context from them). It just would make it easier to grow to waist, because it's absurdly frustrating count to waist. But that's just my humble opinion.

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I always thought it was about BSL, or maybe a bit beyond. For me, SBL is maybe an inch above BSL, and waist isn't much past BSL, so I don't see a point, but I have a short torso and don't really need more landmarks. Some people (usually skinnier folks and those with longer torsos) have a much greater distance between BSL and waist, so being able to claim "midback" somewhere between the two probably helps.

(It's probably worth considering that some folks define BSL differently than others. For me, BSL is at the bottom of the bra strap. This probably comes from largely wearing stretchy fabric bras, which can easily be 3-4 inches wide across the back.)

Sarah4983
September 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
lol so many different definitions! :)

I have an extra lumbar vertebrae which adds an inch and a half to 2 inches to my torso so I have further to go than someone with a normal spine, but not too much. (not fair!!!)

With Heidi's explaination, I'm at BSL. Maybe my bras aren't fitting right :-/

GlassEyes
September 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
(same might go for our men who try to grow it long, although BSL would sound kind of out-of-context from them)
BSL for males is 'Bottom of Shoulder blade Length'. Or at least that's how I use it. :o

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 02:50 PM
BSL for males is 'Bottom of Shoulder blade Length'. Or at least that's how I use it. :o
Haha slick :p ;)
Had to feel up my back to see if it works on me, seems about roughly right. :)

Amara
September 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I think MBL is usually a male version of BSL. If it was used for a woman I would assume they meant BSL, since that's about halfway down your back. On some people, mid-back might be a bit below where the bra strap hits.

jacqueline101
June 16th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'd say 4 inches past bottom of bra strap.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 16th, 2013, 03:36 PM
IMO, MBL is everywhere between the bottom edge of the bra strap and the waist, so covers a large "abyss" of lengths.

Magalo
June 16th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Old post! :/

furnival
June 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM
What's with the sudden resuscitation of several threads from September '09? :uhh:

Magalo
June 16th, 2013, 05:44 PM
It's jacqueline101. :/ She did that like a month ago too.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Oh I never read the dates on threads, does it matter though?

furnival
June 18th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Oh I never read the dates on threads, does it matter though?

Well no, not on a thread like this that people can still contribute to, but dredging up several threads from four years ago to ask a question that the OP, if still around, probably won't remember the answer to, or to comment on the OP's (probably long-forgotten) awkward length seems beyond odd. :p

PeacenQuietGal
June 18th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Well I had noticed some recent confusion over MBL cropping up from a few users thinking that it was between waist and hip. So by my thinking it is both helpful and appropriate have the thread resurrected. And, whether or not the OP is tuned in is of no consequence; the information stands on its own. Think of it like the threads such as "long hair sighting" or "APL to shoulder" does it matter where the OP is?

KNIT KNIT KNIT

furnival
June 18th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Well I had noticed some recent confusion over MBL cropping up from a few users thinking that it was between waist and hip. So by my thinking it is both helpful and appropriate have the thread resurrected. And, whether or not the OP is tuned in is of no consequence; the information stands on its own. Think of it like the threads such as "long hair sighting" or "APL to shoulder" does it matter where the OP is?

KNIT KNIT KNIT
That was my point. Threads like this are resurrectable. Ones like the one where the OP is lamenting her awkward post-pixie length are not, as she's probably at waist by now :p

I don't think being puzzled by peculiar thread revivals violates KNIT, really.

PeacenQuietGal
June 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM
That was my point. Threads like this are resurrectable. Ones like the one where the OP is lamenting her awkward post-pixie length are not, as she's probably at waist by now*I don't think being puzzled by peculiar thread revivals violates KNIT, really. , yes you are right Furnival it does not violate KNIT. I reread and understood your post better after I had reacted. :doh: I just felt like Jacquelin101 was getting picked on, and I posted (blurted more like it) my first thought. I do understand, and I'm hopful she will as well, that staying on point with *useful* information is part of KNIT as well :cheese:

furnival
June 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Nay worries :flower:

Magalo
June 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
What annoy me with resurrected posts is that they clog up the forum when there's actual people that posted something that day that need to be answered, but their questions get burried by a load of 3-4-5 years old threads. :/ It's especially annoying when everything has been answered in the old thread and there's nothing to add. (also the fact that Jacqueline101 doesn't seem to realize it's old and is answering/asking questions to the OP like if it was a new thread. Maybe she's doing google search and is accidentally finding old posts)

palaeoqueen
June 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
That was my point. Threads like this are resurrectable. Ones like the one where the OP is lamenting her awkward post-pixie length are not, as she's probably at waist by now :p

I don't think being puzzled by peculiar thread revivals violates KNIT, really.

I agree on all counts, it's odd.

However, given that this is a relevant thread I'll answer and say that I'm of the belief that MBL is more or less equivalent to BSL. If a bra fits correctly it will be more or less at mid back on most people, obviously there will be some variation as people have different body proportions but it's mostly true for most people. I think some confusion arises because so many people wear the wrong size bra resulting in it riding up much higher on the torso than it should. A body marker based on the ribs or shoulder blades would probably be more logical (and unisex too).