PDA

View Full Version : ammonium laurel sulfate

mommy101405
April 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone know if its more/ less harsh than SLS. Is there really a difference?

lapushka
April 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I think there was an article on LHC that said it was a little harsher than sodium sulfates.

teela1978
April 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I've heard that its good in hard water. I use suave as a clarifying shampoo and it has ALS. It's definitely strong, but I kinda want that if I'm clarifying.

Rebelkat
April 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that ammonium sulfates are harsher than sodium sulfates. I'm not sure exactly how much, though. The whole "ammonium" thing makes me a tad uncomfortable, however. Makes me think of ammonia. :run:

Ursula
April 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
ALS tends to cleanse more thouroughly than SLES or SLES. More importantly, it also tends to rinse more thoroughy, which can make it more approprate for people who may be sensitve to detergents, since there is less chance of residue staying on your hair or skin. ALS tends to do well for people with hard water.

I don't like using the terms more or less gentle - they are different, and which one is gentler, or better, is determined by an individual's skin and hair, as well as the quality of the water they wash in.

lapushka
April 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
ALS tends to cleanse more thouroughly than SLES or SLES. More importantly, it also tends to rinse more thoroughy, which can make it more approprate for people who may be sensitve to detergents, since there is less chance of residue staying on your hair or skin. ALS tends to do well for people with hard water.

I don't like using the terms more or less gentle - they are different, and which one is gentler, or better, is determined by an individual's skin and hair, as well as the quality of the water they wash in.

Had no idea it had anything to do with the hardness of the water you washed with. I have the hardest water where I live. I do know that Lavera (natural brand) uses ammonium sulfates in their shampoos. At least they used to, now they are much more gentle. They've replaced the AL(E)S with gentler cleansers.