PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is cutting their hair!

RancheroTheBee
September 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I noticed a weird trend lately. Not only on the LHC, but in my day to day life, everybody seems to be cutting their hair (or thinking about it).

Since I haven't been around the LHC for long enough to see any patterns, and I never noticed the behavior of people around me when it comes to hair until last January, do you think it's a fall thing? Like, molting or something?

It's not like I mind or anything, especially when it turns out really well, but it seems odd. Do you think that people like to have a change with the seasons; or does one person do it, and then other people feel inspired to do the same; or am I just imagining things?

marikamt
September 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I just posted this same comment in another thread... It definitely seems like a ton of people are doing/ thinking about it... I asked if it was a seasonal thing too......
Does this happen every fall? Or seasonal change in general? Or is it something else?

Roseate
September 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I've noticed too!

It's funny to me that it's happening in the fall; I always want to cut mine in the spring/summer, when it starts to feel hot and heavy. I love longer hair in the fall/winter, when it flows out from under my wooly hat and keeps my neck warm. :shrug:

redneckprincess
September 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I have noticed that too...every one I know is going short(er)...This is one trend I refuse to follow...I'll take all that extra leingth, lol

Taika
September 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Well, I think it is actually quite natural, people are looking for a change.. this happens quite often in the autumn. For example starting new hobbies, returning to school/work after the hollidays, desiding to grow ones hair/ desiding to cut the hair of...

:)

RancheroTheBee
September 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
I have noticed that too...every one I know is going short(er)...This is one trend I refuse to follow...I'll take all that extra leingth, lol

I wish you could trade length... :p "You're trimming off how much? Can I have it?"

AJoifulNoise
September 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
I do wonder if perhaps it has been something they've been considering all summer. You know? Like, they dealt with it in the hot weather and they just don't want to do it anymore. Just a thought.

I used to cut my hair in the fall, too.

AspenF150
September 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
Seems that way around my neck of the woods too. Must be a new trendy thing now. Some looks and styles last 20 mins, others 20 years, you get the idea.

Alot of guys including my friends, all of them and I mean all of them were growing there hair out. Now I'm seeing more fades, flatops and buzzes for the most part. I'll take length anyday!

Anje
September 23rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think it has to do with the start of a new school year. When I was a kid, there was always a haircut shortly before school started. I think that pattern just continues to hold throughout life. (Of course, being in grad school, I'm probably particularly entrenched in this school year rhythm.)

Heck, DH just got a short cut. But that's partly because he wants to be Gordon Freeman for Halloween.

Runzel
September 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
It must be a stealthy contagious virus going around!:scared:

Symptoms to watch out for include:

- Sudden unexplained affinity for scissors (also known as SUAS)
- Flashes of mental images of shortened hair combined with the deceptive feeling that such a thing would be desirable
- Avoidance of the Long Hair Community Forums as well as the letters "L", "H", and "C"

If you notice any of the above symptoms, seek help immediately. Create a thread on the LHC forums ASAP so as to minimize the likelihood of complications and a potentially loooong recovery period. Unfortunately there is not yet a vaccine for this virus but health officials are saying that by next year a new vaccine could decrease the devastating results of hair-cutting season by approximately 78%. If you have been exposed to this contagion please be diligent to wash your hair frequently to avoid passing it on to others and buy new hair toys to boost your natural defenses.

:rolleyes:

This post is not meant to insult anyone who has chopped their hair recently...I'm sure it looks great! If any offense has been taken please accept my sincerest apologies.

Alaia
September 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
As far as I'm aware, fashion has been tending (as far as it does at any time) towards longer hair lately, so I'm not sure it's a fashion choice. Just my observations from looking at magazines, etc. I could be wrong, I'm not the most fashionistic person ever ;)

I think it's definitely an autumn thing. Autumn seems to be a period of change for a lot of people, analogous to the leaves falling off the trees. It's getting colder, darker, wetter and that might have an impact too... people might want to get a new hairstyle to cheer themselves up ahead of the winter months, or just fancy a change.

Among younger people I would say it has to do with school/college/university too, though, it's a little late for that.

halo_tightens
September 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM

Eeek, that gave me a chill-- I had scissors in my hand as I read this!! Am I at risk??

Nah, I think I'll be okay. I was just cutting edges off some little cards here at my desk, with absolutely no thoughts of hair-cutting.

Now that it's been mentioned, though, it does seem like an awful lot of people here IRL are changing their hair, either by cutting it or dyeing it. It seems like a fall thing to me, too-- either changing with the seasons or attempting to lift one's spirits as the summer comes to an end.

MandaMom2Three
September 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
I just hope more people stay happy with it, unlike me who always regretts it before long :rolleyes: . How about the next person to cut donate a few feet to me? :D

jivete
September 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
No hair cuts for me thanks! I have noticed the trend on LHC though.

redneckprincess
September 23rd, 2009, 01:31 PM

- Flashes of mental images of shortened hair combined with the deceptive feeling that such a thing would be desirable
- Avoidance of the Long Hair Community Forums as well as the letters "L", "H", and "C"

If you notice any of the above symptoms, seek help immediately. Create a thread on the LHC forums ASAP so as to minimize the likelihood of complications and a potentially loooong recovery period. Unfortunately there is not yet a vaccine for this virus but health officials are saying that by next year a new vaccine could decrease the devastating results of hair-cutting season by approximately 78%. If you have been exposed to this contagion please be diligent to wash your hair frequently to avoid passing it on to others and buy new hair toys to boost your natural defenses.

This post is not meant to insult anyone who has chopped their hair recently...I'm sure it looks great! If any offense has been taken please accept my sincerest apologies.

AHAHAHA!!! that was great ☺

Clarisse
September 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have noticed the trend IRL. I even just trimmed my hair a couple of days ago. I think it has something to do with the end of the holidays and with the weather. You want things to be nice, tidy, under control and ready to face the winter. Well cared for, freshly cut ends looks very healthy, makes the hair look thicker and makes the hair look "tidy" and "controlled". At least according to my opinion. I don't really understand why people cut off healthy length though... Trimming is enough to achieve to look.

Roseate
September 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM
If you have been exposed to this contagion please be diligent to wash your hair frequently to avoid passing it on to others and buy new hair toys to boost your natural defenses.

Well, so far I feel fine, but since I've been exposed I better buy some new toys just to make sure I don't come down with anything! Hmm, 60th street is calling my name...:p

Amara
September 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I think the majority of people out there in the world whose hair is getting longer are not necessarily "growing their hair out" if you get my meaning. They just haven't bothered with a trim or cut lately. I know that's why mine would get longer on occasion. So, when they see somebody with a new, shorter cut, it like reminds them of something! Oh, hair! I should cut mine, too, cute! So I think for a lot of people, it is contagious. :D

Finoriel
September 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Definitely seasonal :agree:
Most people shed small mammals every fall, which often leads into some slight panicking and trimming more or less big amounts in the hope of makeing it look thicker. Generous trims and questions about how to achieve more volume / define curlpattern / plopping / braid or bunwaves are very popular every autumn. Everything what could make hair appear more voluminous. At least thatīs my impression, which is of course subjective :wink:

spidermom
September 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Everyone isn't. For instance - I'm not.

I've seen a lot more cuts around here lately than I remember seeing at one time since I joined in 2005. I have no theories to explain it.

prittykitty
September 23rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
I think people just get bored with their hair and want something different. It can be contagious if one person sees a friend with a very nice haircut. They tend to want the same thing.

Altocumulus
September 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Well, I am one of those who did a large trim/small chop recently. Probably no one noticed because I didn't post a thread, only changed my siggy. In my case, the timing was coincidental - a year and a half ago, I reached TB after years of no trimming, but was unhappy with my thin ends, so I cut back to hip to grow out again with trims. This spring I once again reached TB, and maintained for 6 months to try to thicken up my ends, but ultimately decided to cut back to hip again. Nothing special about fall, at least I don't think so!

krissykins
September 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
It had been a stressful summer for many - maybe some need a change of pace. (judging from people around who have cut their hair)

Runzel
September 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Eeek, that gave me a chill-- I had scissors in my hand as I read this!! Am I at risk??

Nah, I think I'll be okay. I was just cutting edges off some little cards here at my desk, with absolutely no thoughts of hair-cutting.

Perhaps you should buy a hairtoy or two, just to be safe. ;)

Well, so far I feel fine, but since I've been exposed I better buy some new toys just to make sure I don't come down with anything! Hmm, 60th street is calling my name...:p

Most definitely! You don't want to take any chances, now, do you? :whistle:

Toadstool
September 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
I can only speak for myself.
For a start I've never been someone who only likes long hair.I like all kinds. I just like HAIR!
I'm growing out the grey and I couldn't stand all the dyed damaged hair hanging round my face. I dislike myself in updos.
I was grossed out by all the shed hair.
I saw a thread where someone had pixied off all their hair and decided thay might stay short, and I envied them.
I found myself thinking "If I thought i could get away with it, I'd rather have short hair."
I discussed it with other people and they thought it would suit me.
And I was sick of hanging on to my hair just because I was afraid to let it go.
So I took a leap of faith, and am happier with my hair than I've been for a long time.

but that's just me.

freckles
September 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I had a 2" trim recently - which doesn't sound like a lot, but it was my first haircut in 2 years. For me, I think the season did have a little to do with it. I've been going to weddings over the summer I wanted to look nice for, I start University again soon, and I've had all Summer off Uni to stew over the state of my hair and get an appointment and been bored enough to do so, etc. There might be similar motivations behind some people who get bigger cuts, too.

Fifty-Five
September 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
I notice that there are 3 main times when people will cut their hair.
- fall (beginning of school, ESPECIALLY when people are going off to college/university for the first time, because they're trying to be 'more mature')
- Christmas
- summer (because long hair is too hot for summer... and because clips and elastics are not yet widely known >.> )

In any case, it always makes me sad =(

wintersun99
September 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM

longhairedfairy
September 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Perhaps you should buy a hairtoy or two, just to be safe. ;)

Most definitely! You don't want to take any chances, now, do you? :whistle:
Immunize with hair ornaments, preferably yearly.;)

JessTheMess
September 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
I noticed another trend of people wanting to change their hair color...
I even caught that bug. I'm back to black now :p It's only a few shades different and it didn't damage my hair though. So that's good

Isilme
September 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
well, it seemed like last year's trend on LHC was to hendigo to a chocolate brown. This year it is cutting I assume. Also, fall is probably when you notice that all that salt from bathing and sun hasn't been all that good for your hair.
I'm thinking about face framing layers and cutting my hemline into a v again. But in my case I want to tidy up my hair when I'm so close to my goal length now. (TB)

nowxisxforever
September 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I've only noticed it here on LHC. IRL, no one I know has cut their hair in quite some time. The ones who do have short hair will periodically trim it, I can recall 2 shortie trims and 1 longhair trim (a guy went from tailbone to about 4-5 inches shorter) but that's it.

Lamb
September 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
It might have something to do with the fact that (as a thread started by Flynn documented) relatively long hair (APL and longer) has been in vogue for quite some time now. Long hair is not uncommon, it has not been uncommon for years. Perhaps this trend (as all trends) is getting broken now - natural thing in the world of fashion.

Darscilla
September 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Gasp! I've totally got this bug! I'm seriously considering cutting to shoulder length. I'm halfway through the two week rule, but those scissors are itching!

Teazel
September 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Weird. A clothing catalogue arrived in the mail this morning, and one of the pictures really caught my eye. I liked what the model was wearing, but when I tried pictured my greying bun with it (and wispies galore, no doubt - the wind always gets you at the worst moment) it just didn't work. I suddenly coveted the model's shoulderlength, dyed, layered hair... she looked sexy, confident, and in control.

Sigh. I thought I was over all that. :sad

little_acorn
September 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Weird. A clothing catalogue arrived in the mail this morning, and one of the pictures really caught my eye. I liked what the model was wearing, but when I tried pictured my greying bun with it (and wispies galore, no doubt - the wind always gets you at the worst moment) it just didn't work. I suddenly coveted the model's shoulderlength, dyed, layered hair... she looked sexy, confident, and in control.

:lala:

Don't do it Teazel

Your hair is beautiful and you are one of my hair icons.......step away from the :scissors:

GlennaGirl
September 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM

Teazel, so do the classiest, sleekest updo you can come up with and buy the outfit.

You're not that model. You aren't standing in the lighting she was standing in, with that one picture picked out of 75 similar ones for its near-perfection, then Photoshopped.

If you were, well then no problem, I'd say get the cut. :D

She looks sexy, confident and in control because it's her job to look sexy, confident and in control. She gets paid to look and stand that way and in fact, is directed in just how to stand, down to lowering or raising one arm a few inches or turning her head up, down or two the side an inch.

(ETA: I know you already know all this. I'm just being the Other Little Voice in Your Ear for simplicity's sake.)

If you can stand very, very still for hours on end in a glass box in a pose, then you can look like her too. Otherwise, you look BEAUTIFUL (I know I've seen pics of you in the past) and you do look confident and sexy. In control? I don't know. Do you want to look permanently in control? Isn't it better to just do something sleek and shiny and Killer Queen-esque (remember that old song?) on days you want to look in control...then let your hair fall down in beautiful waves when you want to look freer?

I don't think we ever get "past that" sort of thing...because we will always see that snapshot in time of that one perfect model looking just perfectly...perfect. But you know, even if we WERE perfect, damn but that would be a drag to maintain. Perfection all the time? Ugh.

Keep your beautiful hair. :) I know you will anyway, but...just sayin'...I hear you, I have been there and HAVE cut, over and over, and always regretted it. Hugs to you.

rapunzhell13
September 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
I admit that very recently I've been tempted to cut my hair, but the trend towards it here has actually made me not want to go through with it anymore. :silly:

QueenAnne'sLace
September 23rd, 2009, 07:33 PM

This is genius! You should name this new illness Runzelbacter. Scientists are always doing that, naming things afterthemselves.

Teazel
September 23rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thank you, little_acorn. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/emoticons/hug-1.gif

GlennaGirl, you're absolutely right: I did know all that, but sometimes I need a gentle reminder... that, or a slap upside the head. :D Thank you very much! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/emoticons/hug-1.gif

As an antidote, I think I'll go and look at photos of sexy, confident LHC members now... with jaw-droppingly gorgeous long hair! And I just might buy that outfit, too. :)

Tangletizzy
September 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
I'd love to think that, for me, it's not just going along with a trend. I've been thinking about cutting my hair since about January of this year. And if I go through with it, it won't be until March of next year. I just want short hair again because I love it so! I'm getting awfully sick of the frizziness of my hair, and how much of it -always- comes out of the ponytail/braid/bun to fluff out around my ears and at the back of my neck... how much work it is to brush it out twice a day... how long it takes to dry (about 36 hours, unless it's down)... *sigh* I dunno.

Whimsical wind
September 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Ah. I've got the bug! And have had for a while. But it's Spring here, not Autumn. My birthday is coming up, so I think it has something to do with that. I've had long hair for so long, I want something different. But I'm going to try a faux bob and maybe get a wig, so I can be completely sure of what I'm doing.

little_acorn
September 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
As an antidote, I think I'll go and look at photos of sexy, confident LHC members now... with jaw-droppingly gorgeous long hair! And I just might buy that outfit, too. :)

:cheese::cheese: you go girl :cheese::cheese:

ktani
September 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Well, lol, that bug for cutting har is not that contageous. I have no desire to cut my hair short any time soon but I also have no goal length. I just take it a few inches at a time and see where that takes me in terms of comfort level. I always unless doing chores wear my hair loose.

I really like some of the shorter styles I have seen but they are not for me. I will remain a long haired woman. It is who I am. I have had my hair every length from pixie on down. For those wanting a change, I can see the temptation. I am just not tempted.

vindo
September 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I actually think it is a "trend".

The more people you see doing it, the more others may consider it.

Some really want a change but some are discouraged because of damage or thinning ends.

I have never been a "chopper" not even in worst times, I was always able to save or change my hair otherwise. :shrug:

juliaxena
September 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Well I didn't cut it because it's autumn, I cut it to even out my ends and I'm happy about it. There were no other reasons but estetic.

Nevermore
September 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
I have the bug. Fortunately, I didn't go completely nuts and just chop it all off, I did do a half inch-ish trim though, which is significant for me and I've been contemplating bangs and/or a very short cut.

I do think this is seasonal, it's usually fall when I get the hair-changing urge. It's just one of the many urges I get during this season to change things or start projects. If I didn't see the same behavior with other people, I'd assume it was due to my birthday being in late September, that I'm reacting to being older or something.

Robbi Dehlinger
September 23rd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hi!

A friend of mine who had LOVELY hair chopped it the other day and it looks HORRIBLE! (At least to me?)

Everyone is ooohing and ahing and teling her how great it looks, i told her she needed to grow it BACK! (I told if she was happy with it, it is OK, but I was not)

She said after 15 years it was time for a change:(

CowgirlKate
September 24th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I cut my a week ago. About every 3 years it gets cut and this year was the year.

Toadstool
September 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Hi!

A friend of mine who had LOVELY hair chopped it the other day and it looks HORRIBLE! (At least to me?)

Everyone is ooohing and ahing and teling her how great it looks, i told her she needed to grow it BACK! (I told if she was happy with it, it is OK, but I was not)

She said after 15 years it was time for a change:(

Well she's not there to decorate your world either, is she?:)
If you changed some aspect of your appearance, would you want a friend to tell you it's not okay with them and you need to change it back?

janeytilllie
September 24th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I can only speak for myself.

I couldn't stand all the dyed damaged hair hanging round my face. I dislike myself in updos.
I discussed it with other people and they thought it would suit me.
And I was sick of hanging on to my hair just because I was afraid to let it go.
So I took a leap of faith, and am happier with my hair than I've been for a long time.

^Same for me too :agree:

I was so unhappy with my ends and the past damage. The ends were thin and traveling up. I felt my hair was really ugly.
I also asked family members and friends would it look better if I had blunt ends. They all said yes.

I also sick of hanging on to it for the length. I wanted rid of all the damage and start afresh with non damaged hair.

So in end after much thought I decided to cut off 14 inches. I feel alot better about my hair now, I do miss the length but I'm looking forward to re growing it :)

janeytilllie
September 24th, 2009, 03:10 AM

I love this! :laugh:

Elbereth
September 24th, 2009, 03:47 AM
First...I am officially NOT contemplating a big chop. :scared:Since I started to grow my hair (from peach fuzz cut), I have never had a serious urge to cut.

I think that part of the reason for this phenomenon is that we simply are a big community, and therefore some of us will nearly always be at the point where they have decided to get a shorter style.

Though, I do like Runzel's virus theory better.:D

EDIT: decided to add some things that keep me away from scissors

-Go through pictures of gorgeous LHC hair
-See also all the wonderful, personal styles that can be done with long hair
-Then, remember that if you cut, you can change your hairstyle only about once a month. How boring is that compared to being able to do a different style as often as you would like?
-Then, take a good look at your hairtoy collection (or, if your collection is still small, take a moment to browse the webpages of hairtoy sellers). Those toys are meant to be worn with long hair. Not short.
-If your hair is truly hideous, take a moment to browse the webpages of companies like Tznius, Modestworld or GarlandsofGrace and see all their beautiful headcovering options. Yes, you can use scarves to hide a horrible chop as well, but you can also wear them until your hair becomes cooperative again.
-Go out and pay attention to people's hair. How many have a healthy, shiny LHC-quality hair? How many wear hairstyles that are really personal and unique? Not many.
-Think about how a longhair does not need a stylist but can tame her hair all by herself, in many innovative and attractive ways.
-If all else fails, find a mirror, flip your hair to the front and do a Chewbacca imitation. Impossible with short hair.

vindo
September 24th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Oh btw...funny I'm posting in this thread and my sister just sent me a picture of her new hair cut..
She went from waist length over BSL to shoulder length..

kdaniels8811
September 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I am not and have not thought of cutting my hair, not even trimming. My sweetheart says I can never cut, I have too many hair toys! Works for me. Grow, dammit! In the abyss between BSL and waist... May hit waist by spring.

Isa-belle
September 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I used to go to the hairdresser's at the end of summer as well, just before classes started (when you work in education, the advent of a new year still very much means early September rather than Jan. 1st :) ). For the past two years I have just done a nice henna treatment instead of chopping my hair. This way I still felt I had pretty and "new" hair, without losing any of the length :)

freckles
September 24th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Teazel, so do the classiest, sleekest updo you can come up with and buy the outfit.

You're not that model. You aren't standing in the lighting she was standing in, with that one picture picked out of 75 similar ones for its near-perfection, then Photoshopped.

She looks sexy, confident and in control because it's her job to look sexy, confident and in control. She gets paid to look and stand that way and in fact, is directed in just how to stand, down to lowering or raising one arm a few inches or turning her head up, down or two the side an inch.

(ETA: I know you already know all this. I'm just being the Other Little Voice in Your Ear for simplicity's sake.)

If you can stand very, very still for hours on end in a glass box in a pose, then you can look like her too. Otherwise, you look BEAUTIFUL (I know I've seen pics of you in the past) and you do look confident and sexy. In control? I don't know. Do you want to look permanently in control? Isn't it better to just do something sleek and shiny and Killer Queen-esque (remember that old song?) on days you want to look in control...then let your hair fall down in beautiful waves when you want to look freer?

I don't think we ever get "past that" sort of thing...because we will always see that snapshot in time of that one perfect model looking just perfectly...perfect. But you know, even if we WERE perfect, damn but that would be a drag to maintain. Perfection all the time? Ugh.

Keep your beautiful hair. :) I know you will anyway, but...just sayin'...I hear you, I have been there and HAVE cut, over and over, and always regretted it. Hugs to you.
I want to frame this post and put it on my wall for when I have an "off day" about anything at all! :D Well done GlennaGirl!

Teazel
September 24th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I want to frame this post and put it on my wall for when I have an "off day" about anything at all! :D Well done GlennaGirl!

It's a keeper. I've bookmarked it for future reference. :D

Toadstool
September 24th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Teasel. hope you bought the outfit:):):)

JamieLeigh
September 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I'm not cutting my hair!!! :D If everyone else jumps off a bridge, I'll be the one standing up there laughing at them and updating my Facebook status about what a bunch of idiots they are. ;)

(I'm NOT saying anyone who has had a haircut lately is an idiot - just poking fun at the "sheep" out there who do what everyone else is doing, just because everyone else is doing it.)

marikamt
September 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM

EXCELLENT reminder... thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

LaFlor
September 24th, 2009, 09:18 AM
All my friends have been getting haircuts... that look amazing! I'm totally fighting with this bug right now. I need to go in for a trim, so I'm trying not to be tempted by asking for too much cut off! *I keep imagining a year from now when I finally get all the damage cut off and my hair and it is shoulder length with subtle layering how wonderful I will feel to have all my natural hair back* Sigh. But that's not achievable right now unless I only want about 3-4 inches of hair on my head.

Mutinous
September 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
All my friends have been getting haircuts... that look amazing! I'm totally fighting with this bug right now. I need to go in for a trim, so I'm trying not to be tempted by asking for too much cut off! *I keep imagining a year from now when I finally get all the damage cut off and my hair and it is shoulder length with subtle layering how wonderful I will feel to have all my natural hair back* Sigh. But that's not achievable right now unless I only want about 3-4 inches of hair on my head.

I am in exactly the same boat, I know how it feels!

I've just had an inch chopped off. I like the fact that everytime I go, I am cutting more and more dye out of my hair!

enfys
September 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I'm not cutting my hair, and more people on here are cutting their hair than in real life! What's going on?

That said, my ends come to a point in a ponytail because my hair grows faster in the middle to punish me for layering it. If I cut the point off does it still count? I won't do it until November probably anyways.

Ahhh forget it, I'll get a bob.

jel
September 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Everyone isn't. For instance - I'm not.

Neither am I :D

Also, I've only noticed 2 people who cut their hair short, and another 2 who trimmed from TB-ish to BSL/waist-ish (and that was in the last 2-3 months or so). That's far from everyone!

Of course, I'm not counting the trimmers who've taken off an inch or two. For many people that's part of their regular maintenance (not for me, though - check out the No Trimming Club link in my siggy!)

Maddy25
September 24th, 2009, 02:27 PM
It may have to do with the whole going back to school thing for some people. They want to look different?

82exoticbeauty
September 24th, 2009, 02:48 PM
For me, I'm not cutting my hair! I remember about last week, my boyfriend told me to cut it more blunt since my hair is growing out almost to U shape! The last time was a blunt was Sept 2008-April 2009! I didn't notice it until my boyfriend said about it! He told me to cut it right at above waist! :shake: No way! I'm waiting for it to be about Classic and let my mom trim it about 1 inch straight across! I'm just waiting!

I do also notice that it is Fall season and I see half of the people around me when I go shopping have from BSL, Midback, some are waist! :confused::shrug::)But I do see a some of them still keep long hair as a bit past waist, some hip length and some tailbone! But the rarest I see is classic and beyond! I don't see those length very much! That is why I'm still sticking to long hair! For those of you out there see everybody around you cutting your hair and you wanted to grow it long! Don't mind the season, it's your hair and you are the one growing it longer! So it's your goal to finish growing on your goal length! Just like me, I don't mind about season cutting hair! Maybe it's a Fall fashion hair cut for others out there! I just only wait for the right length like classic and trim it 1 inch straight cut again!:D

busnutmedic
September 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I noticed a weird trend lately. Not only on the LHC, but in my day to day life, everybody seems to be cutting their hair (or thinking about it).

Since I haven't been around the LHC for long enough to see any patterns, and I never noticed the behavior of people around me when it comes to hair until last January, do you think it's a fall thing? Like, molting or something?

It's not like I mind or anything, especially when it turns out really well, but it seems odd. Do you think that people like to have a change with the seasons; or does one person do it, and then other people feel inspired to do the same; or am I just imagining things?

I'm not sure what in particular was the impetus for me, but I had been thinking about/planning on cutting for a good while now (at least a year in thought about it).

mwedzi
September 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I said this same thing last week! I assumed it was a new season thing. You'd think people would be doing that more at the beginning of summer, though.

RocketDog
September 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I've been feeling very self-conscious about my hair, mostly due to post-trauma shedding (I have had two surgeries since July) leaving my hair thinner than it's ever been. I was due for a trim anyways, having had my last one in May, so I read some tutorials and decided to trim in some layers and really tidy up my growing-out fringe. Even though it wasn't a very drastic change, it has improved the look and feel of my hair a TON! I don't anticipate doing anything crazier than trims and enjoying these layers, but I have noticed a lot of people in my day-to-day life who have done some pretty big chops and re-styles lately.

Wicked Princess
September 25th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I have noticed people changing their hair styles in real life (i.e. where I live, and in my social/work/family networks). Some people are getting it cut, some people are playing with color, and other people have adopted new an unique styles that they'll constantly wear.

Tap Dancer
September 25th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I can't speak for the other members here, but I love cutting my hair. In the 5 years I've been here, I've grown and cut my hair more times than I can count. But I've definitely noticed that a lot of people here are cutting lately. Everyone looks great, though! :)

Sam-I-Am
September 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
It seems like the folks who are considering or have gone through with the most dramatic cuts have been growing their hair for a long time and are ready for a change.

For me, I've met my goal of sitting on my hair, and I kept it at that length for a year. Then I trimmed 5" a couple months ago. I'm already back to sitting on it, and I'm seriously considering something different. I'd love to be able to wear my hair down again but still have the length to be called a longhair, so I'm probably going to cut back to BSL, grow to waist, and then likely maintain between waist and hip.

It's hair, it grows. I know how to take care of it and I want to do more with it than just wear it up all the time because it's so in the way right now!

And I'm very likely being influenced by my friends here who've cut and styled their hair and love it so much. I agree - this cutting bug seems a very LHC-specific bug :)

aries
September 25th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I trimmed off 2.5" two days ago due to it being my 6 month trim time. I'm also working on getting a U shaped hemline back to being blunt thanks to a hair dresser that wanted to cut that U into my hair a year ago, unknowingly to me. 2 more inches and I will be back to blunt. Until that point, I am not even changing my length in my stats because I will get beyond 28" at some point in my life heh.

BeatlesFanGirl
September 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM

shoulder length, dyed, layered hair what she has: that is something that almost every woman can have - it's not a big deal to go to a hairdresser and have it. One in a million.

Beautiful, long, thick, shiny, healthy, amazing hair what YOU have: that IS something unique and not something that everyone can have within a short time!! :) So be proud of your wonderful locks and wear them with pleasure - with the dress that you've seen in the catalouge. :):)

Jeepchick99tj
September 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I actually just had my hair cut, and it was a lot since I was getting rid of my layers...but the thing is, this is the time of the year where I get a huge growth spurt and my hair gets noticeably heavy. Since I know my hairs growing pretty fast right now, I'm more likely to cut more then usual trim amounts to get rid of weight.

Rain
September 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm about to lop off quite a lot of mine and it has nothing to do with the weather or seasons changing. If it did, I would have done this a long time ago. I'm just tired of having basically the same hair for the last ten years. I'm sick of buns. I don't like them on me at this point in my life and my hair is too big and long to wear down all the time. So I'm cutting it. But I'm growing it right back out so no one get excited about hair toys for sale. There won't be any. :twisted:

sana junaid
September 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=BeatlesFanGirl;782982]shoulder length, dyed, layered hair what she has: that is something that almost every woman can have - it's not a big deal to go to a hairdresser and have it. One in a million.

Beautiful, long, thick, shiny, healthy, amazing hair what YOU have: that IS something unique and not something that everyone can have within a short time!! :) So be proud of your wonderful locks and wear them with pleasure - with the dress that you've seen in the catalouge. :):) very true you should proud of your long hairs shortening your hair is not a big deal but long beautiful hairs is the thing that not so common like short hairs :)

Xandergrammy
September 26th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Thank you, little_acorn. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/emoticons/hug-1.gif

GlennaGirl, you're absolutely right: I did know all that, but sometimes I need a gentle reminder... that, or a slap upside the head. :D Thank you very much! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/emoticons/hug-1.gif

Whoa!! I'm so glad this crisis was averted! Good job, people. If I'd found this thread AFTER our Teazel had massacred her beautiful hair, I'd have been heartbroken. Whew!!

share801
September 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM
The trim I wanted turned into a cut (against my wishes), but I would not have been in the chair except to have a few streaks put in to hide gray. I will either have to go gray, do it myself, or just say no trims, period, until I find a new hairdresser I can trust.

IRL though, I don't know any women particularly well who have hair below their shoulders. (Of course I see strangers with it, but I'm talking friends or coworkrs). All are shorties.

rusika1
September 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Yep, we've had several summer haircuts happen in our office of 28 women. (the 4 men are all shorthairs).

Three or four of them were women who get their hair cut a few times a year; they're not really long or short--usually they cut back to approximately top of the shoulder.

Two of them took off substantially more--one took about 6 inches off mid back, perfectly straight and smooth hair; the other when from a curly BSL to a nice just below jawline curly bob.

Three women are growing out from top of the shoulder. Interestingly enough, of the four long hairs in the office (2=tailbone, 1=waist if you stretch the curls out, 1=just above waist) two are talking about taking several inches off. I've promised to trim ends for one of them, but I forgot my scissors yesterday.

~GypsyCurls~
September 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Well, I recently (about a month ago) got mine cut...only because I had to, though. I didn't want to lose any length but the last couple inches were looking very scraggly and there was no other way to get it healthier and better looking. It was at waist length, and now it is a little past BSL, so not much length was cut off and it looks/feels very healthy. I got a nice surge of confidence too, and it was literally the first positive salon experience in my life. The cut was a long time coming, actually. I still have the same growth goals though :)

Fethenwen
September 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I've noticed it too. Many of my friends hair just keep getting shorter, and most people on the streets have short hair. The bob trend is coming hard. It's not that it is fashionable on the cat walks or anything like that, I think it's the media that makes this style so trendy right now. Makeover shows and all that :rolleyes: And the fact that for many fall means change.

I'm quite happy with this trend, this means my hair will be even more special the longer it gets :cheer:

Gothic Lolita
September 27th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Yes, I'm noticing this too. I've by far the longest hair in the whole laboratory I work in (in my builiding only work 250 people9 and I've only tailbome length.
However, I'll be trimming soon too. Nothing too much, only half an inch, because my ends need it. They ahevn't been trimmed since August 2008 and start to tangle, even if I handle them most carefully.

Ryanne
September 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I don't know about everyone, nor am I that perceptive all the time, but I've noticed it. Those people already had somewhat short hair, and were already complaining about their length throughout the seasons, so it isn't that surprising.

Chrissy
September 27th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I actually think it is a "trend".

The more people you see doing it, the more others may consider it.

Some really want a change but some are discouraged because of damage or thinning ends.

I have never been a "chopper" not even in worst times, I was always able to save or change my hair otherwise. :shrug:

Hi Emi! Yes I "was" notice I say "was" an emotional chopper. I did it around a year and a half ago. I so so regret it. I think for me if I had just put it up and forgotton about it while I went through all the stress!!!! Now I can proudly say I will not cut even when I'm stressed.

Like I told Old Gray Mare a while ago my youngest ds graduates from HS in 3 yrs. I want to have a beautiful updo by then to wear to his graduation. So now I have a goal for that.

We also have Rapunzels Long Hair Salon here in Columbus that I want to go to someday. So positive things for me regarding growing my hair. :)

lora410
September 27th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I think it is the weather change..LOL

sneakybea
September 27th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I agree with most of the reasons people have proposed already, but I also think that it's a lot easier to notice when somebody or -bodies cut their hair than when they have been growing it. Because growing your hair is a process, whereas cutting it is a sudden change, the people who cut their hair just stand out more, at least in my experience. When you haven't seen someone in awhile, and then you see them their hair is six inches longer, you notice it; the same thing is true when you always see someone with their hair up, and don't notice that it's growing until they wear it down.

Pegasus Marsters
September 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Seeing as I'm one of the ones who chopped, I'll contribute.

Why did I do it? Because I felt like it. Because long hair was becoming a chore and was no longer enjoyable. Because long hair was aggravating my already constant headaches.

There's no trend about it... I just wanted a haircut. Nowt wrong with that. WonderlyWroughte did give me the courage to go for it because I saw how gorgeous she looks with her short cut. But I wanted the cut before I saw she'd cut hers. I'd been mentioning it on my blog for months.

Toadstool
September 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Above I stated my reasons for cutting my hair. I don't feel I was following a trend. In another two trims my hair will be completely virgin, after 21 years of dyeing it!
Of course I totally appreciate this is a Long Hair Community but I do get concerned that sometimes people seem to take others' hair choices personally.

juliaxena
September 28th, 2009, 11:53 PM
In another two trims my hair will be completely virgin, after 21 years of dyeing it!

Congratiolations! And yes, I think others' hair choices should not be taken personally.

InDarkestKnight
September 29th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Saw some facebook photos recently of someone I'd always known to have long hair in high school, and who was very proud it. It looked much shorter, but it might have been in a bun; the angles weren't clear.
Down here in Australia, any such trend I'd put down to the looming summer. If it's anything like last summer, it's going to be a scorcher.

Pixna
September 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I think the change of seasons could have something to do with it, although I haven't noticed this trend IRL. Right now, I'm the opposite -- I just want my hair to grow, grow, grow. If anyone did a big chop and would like to transplant their hair to my head, I am ready, willing, and available!!! :smirk:

DecafJane
September 29th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I think I'm going to get a trim soon to neaten things up, but there is no way I'm cutting again anytime soon. :)

I know a lot of ladies who get their hair cut once or twice a year, and are going in for trims now, but no major style changes around me that I have seen.

elianne
September 29th, 2009, 07:52 AM
We also have Rapunzels Long Hair Salon here in Columbus that I want to go to someday. So positive things for me regarding growing my hair. :)

Ooo... a long hair salon? That sounds fun!

Although I love growing out my hair, I sometimes do miss the experience of going to a salon, getting pampered, and walking out with an immediate change. (I used to be an emotional hair chopper, too.) Like sneakybea mentioned earlier, it's just so much easier to see the change when you're going shorter versus going longer. (And it's just plain hard to be patient!)

Toadstool
September 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Congratiolations! And yes, I think others' hair choices should not be taken personally.
Thank you:)

young&reckless
September 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
While reading this I'm lisening to Clint Blacks - The Shoes Your Wearing.

I hair cuts so doen't make the man. But if I'm looking to a trim its pre winter holiday time that I would do it. Try and look a little less cousin it for the family gatherings.

Robbi Dehlinger
September 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Geee??

I am seeing more and more long hair??

Maybe it is a regional thing??

mooglewoo
September 29th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I've been verbally attacked at work by two ladies to cut my hair :/ NO. I hardly ever wear it down, its always bunned, but all it took was wearing it down once about 3 months ago, and ever since "I thought young ladies like to look older? You would if you cut your hair. Don't you like change? If you cut your hair, that would be change." blahblah blah. I finally got sick of it and I told them if they were that worried about my hair, they should find other projects to work on, they have too much time on their hands.

I am getting my annual haircut next month, but do you think they will notice 2 inches? NOPE. I dont wear my hair down enough to notice such a small amount.

Unofficial_Rose
September 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I chopped mine, but only because I de-henndigo-ed and had to get the stylist to cut off the lovely green bits.

Don't like the cut much, it's a bit like someone put a bowl over my head and cut round it, but at least it won't need trimming for aaaaagges! :D I do, however, LOVE the colour, especially since I can do the roots every 8 weeks instead of every two. :thumbsup:

Honey39
September 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I wonder if it's because here we are on a journey with people - a slow journey! - watching each other grow our hair, so we are emotionally invested. And hair isn't a static thing, it grows, so it's likely that people will reach their goal, maintain and then cut (some people). And because we focus on hair, we notice that long-time members are cutting - it really stands out.

I don't know - I don't really have goals, or a desire for super long hair, but I can imagine that if you wanted classic hair and then got that, you might well decide after a while that you've achieved it, but it's not what you want for a while.

I like taking the long view - every five years I can grow 35 inches of hair; that's a LOT of hair! I'm 40 now, if I live to 80 I can shave my head and grow it down to my backside again at least eight times over!! :)

(But I would be awfully sad if some of the hair I love here got chopped....)

AnimaSola3o4
September 29th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have not done any major cuts in a while now, and my hair is finally noticably growing. I do feel the desire to start with my dusting trims every other month, because that was what I was doing when I was growing like crazy. The micro-trims help keep me from doing larger cuts. :)

enfys
September 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I wonder if it's because here we are on a journey with people - a slow journey! - watching each other grow our hair, so we are emotionally invested. And hair isn't a static thing, it grows, so it's likely that people will reach their goal, maintain and then cut (some people). And because we focus on hair, we notice that long-time members are cutting - it really stands out.

I don't know - I don't really have goals, or a desire for super long hair, but I can imagine that if you wanted classic hair and then got that, you might well decide after a while that you've achieved it, but it's not what you want for a while.

I like taking the long view - every five years I can grow 35 inches of hair; that's a LOT of hair! I'm 40 now, if I live to 80 I can shave my head and grow it down to my backside again at least eight times over!! :)

(But I would be awfully sad if some of the hair I love here got chopped....)

I think on here you're definately right about the time thing. Say we've been with someone through the "argh growing out short layers" through to "argh triangle" then onto "argh mid back abyss" and so on. Until finally, after years we log on to read "yay goal length...I want a new cut". If we're still growing too it's even harder to witness because you can't stand back be unbiased.

I really do try to be!

Pegasus Marsters
September 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
LHC is generally a very supportive environment and it should be expected that some of us are going to cut our hair sometime. We're not all honour bound to keep it long FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.

Just support those who decide to cut their hair as much as you support those who grow it.

No one is here to decorate your world. As long as they are happy that is all that matters.

Robbi Dehlinger
September 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
LHC is generally a very supportive environment and it should be expected that some of us are going to cut our hair sometime. We're not all honour bound to keep it long FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.

Just support those who decide to cut their hair as much as you support those who grow it.

No one is here to decorate your world. As long as they are happy that is all that matters.

WHAT!

You did not read the terms did you??

You are NEVER allowed to cut your hair under penatly of banishment to the nether regions!!

LOLOLOL:eek:

RancheroTheBee
September 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
WHAT!

You did not read the terms did you??

You are NEVER allowed to cut your hair under penatly of banishment to the nether regions!!

LOLOLOL:eek:

Tee-hee. Nether regions.

RancheroTheBee
September 30th, 2009, 01:58 PM

I don't ever remember implying that I wanted everyone to keep their hair long. I started the thread to point out that a lot of people were doing it, not to criticize anyone.

Pegasus Marsters
September 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't ever remember implying that I wanted everyone to keep their hair long. I started the thread to point out that a lot of people were doing it, not to criticize anyone.

It's not you, it's just I'm seeing a lot of negativity in general towards those of us who decided to cut and then all this "ZOMG IS IT A TREND" stuff when really... you could just ask us for our motivation for cutting. It's a lot easier than speculating. :lol:

I mean, even if you've been there watching us go through the whole process there's a real issue if you (general you) have an emotional attachment to someone else's hair. If anyone has an emotional attachment to my hair I'd actually find that reaaaally creepy. And if there's no emotional attachment there's no reason to be upset.

ETA: forgive me if that made no sense at all, it's 2AM here and I'm dosed up on my painkillers which make me drowsy.

Toadstool
September 30th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I

I mean, even if you've been there watching us go through the whole process there's a real issue if you (general you) have an emotional attachment to someone else's hair. If anyone has an emotional attachment to my hair I'd actually find that reaaaally creepy.

Slightly off-topic but when I was younger, my brother's friend apparently had a thing for my hair. He told my brother he had to really restrain himself from crossing the road to stroke it whenever he saw me. Now that was creepy!

RancheroTheBee
September 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
It's not you, it's just I'm seeing a lot of negativity in general towards those of us who decided to cut and then all this "ZOMG IS IT A TREND" stuff when really... you could just ask us for our motivation for cutting. It's a lot easier than speculating. :lol:

I mean, even if you've been there watching us go through the whole process there's a real issue if you (general you) have an emotional attachment to someone else's hair. If anyone has an emotional attachment to my hair I'd actually find that reaaaally creepy. And if there's no emotional attachment there's no reason to be upset.

ETA: forgive me if that made no sense at all, it's 2AM here and I'm dosed up on my painkillers which make me drowsy.

:p No, it made perfect sense. I'd worry about an attachment to another's hair, too.

ETA: I had this whole other idea formed that I was going to write down, but I'm drowsy, too.