PDA

View Full Version : The urge to cut...

Whimsical wind
September 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
I'm having a bit of a dilemma, I love my long hair but I keep getting the the urge to cut. Drastically. This has been happening for a while, I'm talking months. But I can just see myself regretting it immediatley afterwards (also, my mum would hate me). But nevertheless, there's that tiny voice in the back of my head that says "But I think you'd look really cute with chin length, maybe slightly longer than chin length, hair."

Does anyone else get the urge to cut like this? Did you cave in and decide to cut and end up regretting it, or loving it?

going gray
September 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hi, First let me say my DH & I went on a cruise all around your fabulous Austrailia last November, it's such a wonderful place, SO beautiful.

Last June I had such an urge to cut my hair & I couldn't talk myself out of it, no way, no how! Waited the much talked about 2 weeks & STILL had my 23" hair cut in a "cute" short style. I have a fabulous hair stylist, she keeped asking me "are you really sure about this, what about that BSL you wanted SO bad!" She was afraid to cut it, but I was SO sure I wanted my hair short.

It was a HUGE, repeat HUGE, mistake, the moment she was finished I was SO sorry. Kept getting "ooh's & agh's" from the people in the salon, great improvement, blah, blah, blah. But it WASN'T me, now I'm growing it out again, did the same exact thing back in April '07, (blah, blah) It has NOTHING to do with my age, I simple want to wear those gorgeous updos. HOPE I learned my lesson this time!

DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR, if anything, how about a tiny trim or a dusting to even everything up.
However, some people really enjoy short hair, & that's great, IF it's something you REALLY want to do. The fact that you're not sure tells me your should keep your hair long.

sandrak
September 23rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I had the urge to cut because of damage back in March. So, I got my hair cut to just below my chin. I liked it for about a day. Then, while I didn't miss the damage I really missed the length. If I had it to do all over again I would just trim a little each month. Now, it is taking my hair forever to grow. So, if you have any doubts at all I wouldn't cut especially if your hair is in good shape.

Whimsical wind
September 23rd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks for your input. :D I really don't want to do something I regret, but the more I think about cutting, the more I like the idea. A couple years ago I cut off six inches and felt good about it. But going from tailbone to chin is a lot more drastic. :hmm:

prittykitty
September 23rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
Yes I have. Shortly before I came to this site I had my hair cut in layers because I felt that I couldn't do anything with it and was trying to grow it out. I figured that the layers would give me style while my hair grew out. Instead I ended up with hair that I have to use a blow dryer or something to style it until it grows out. I regret getting that large rod perm too. This was suppose to soften my natural curl to a more relaxed curl. The curl never relaxed and I ended up having to have another type of perm where the stylist combed perm solution through my hair to get the perm I had previous to relax. So, instead of making it easier to do my hair, I now have a fried mess that I am trying to grow out. Yes, I regret it very much. If only I had found this site 2 years ago I may have never cut and permed.

Unless your hair is very heavy and giving you continuous migraines, I would not cut it.

Dars
September 23rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
I did for 3 years when I was younger. From when I was 15 to 18 to I would grow my hair out for the whole school year then usually there is some kind of event at the end, like a formal or graduation or my 18th and I would just do a big chop. I loved it personally, I was very impulsive with my hair in terms of growing it then getting it cut without a second thought. If you're young and are having these long term urges to cut, well maybe you should give it a go! If you don't like it you can grow, grow, grow again.

Sia
September 23rd, 2009, 04:16 AM
I understand your struggle with the decision!
I did a big chop in 2006 and really enjoyed it.. for about a week.
That being said, I am still contemplating another chop, and this time to pixie. I have A LOT of greys and I'm sick and tired of colouring - this may be the most elegant way of getting back to virgin hair.
Because I'm still not sure, I'm going to sit with the decision for a while longer. A time will come when I'll know what to do and if you keep listening to that voice of yours, I'm sure you'll come to your decision too.:)

LadyEliza
September 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
I cut from classic to pixie about 5 years ago (not sure of how many years!)

I look good with pixie, it curls beautifully, and for awhile I was happy with it. Then I wanted my long hair back but kept it cut because that was how it was.

When I started growing it again I realised that if I hadn't cut it, it might very well be thigh or even knee now and I really REALLY regret that cut!

But if you have 5 or 6 years spare to grow it back again if you regret it, give it a go :)

I'm in my late 40's now - so I'm not even tempted to try again!

Shanarana
September 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks for your input. :D I really don't want to do something I regret, but the more I think about cutting, the more I like the idea. A couple years ago I cut off six inches and felt good about it. But going from tailbone to chin is a lot more drastic. :hmm:

Tailbone to chin is rather drastic. Perhaps if you cut just a couple of inches and see how you feel about that first. Than you can go shorter if you want a little at a time without losing so much length at once.

bttrfly857
September 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Tailbone to chin is rather drastic. Perhaps if you cut just a couple of inches and see how you feel about that first. Than you can go shorter if you want a little at a time without losing so much length at once.

I'd agree with this. Maybe cut 3 or so inches at a time, every few weeks if you want to. You could cut it yourself, or go somewhere cheap if money is an issue. I think that would give you much more leeway in changing your mind, than having one afternoon of cutting off your hair and regretting it for 5+ years.

missfortune9335
September 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
Ooooooh I agree with cutting off a little bit at a time, tailbone to chin sounds like it would be traumatic later....maybe go from tailbone to waist and see how you like it if a couple of weeks later you still want shorter hair go for BSL with some layers so you can put some foam roller curls in it for some change.
I've had chin length hair a few times and while it's super easy to take care of and fix in the morning you can't really do anything with it, so if one of the things you like about your long hair is being able to style it different ways that's one thing to think about.
That being said, I'm someone who has gone in with APL or longer hair and had it cut into a very short pixie and I loved it. It grows back :)

MerryKat
September 23rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
I am also currently battling the urge to cut due to chemically damage (lots of splits that I S&D regularly) from years of colouring and being at the begining of growing out the dye. I have about 3 or 4 inches of virgin roots and some days I would love to chop off the length so it is all virgin. However I am finally at my first goal of waist and I LOVE my hair this length - it feels like me and as a result I will resist the urge to cut it all off and just trim out the dye slowly (will take around 5 years at last count!)

SHELIAANN1969
September 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
Personally, I never do get the urge to cut, I went for almost my whole life with pixie/no longer than shoulder length hair, when I decided to grow, it was *on like Donkey Kong* :D

I have the urge to trim, but am scared to go to the salon for fear of a huge *ahem* mishap, and am trying to get the courage and confidence to do the self trim. I will wait till it gets scraggly, the ask hubs to help. :D

marikamt
September 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
I am going thru a little of this now..... nothing quite as drastic, but had some pics taken a few days ago and hated how I looked... mind you, I am not the most photogenic thing in the universe, and these were candid shots, but still.... I thought I looked really frumpy (and I felt oh-so-cute when I left home)
So, I want to get a cut w/ "style"... still long though.... I am trying to hang tight... I am afraid if I do it, I will really, really, really regret it.
I have seen a lot of these threads lately, is there something in the air? Is it the season change? A lot of people seem to have the itch.

jojo
September 23rd, 2009, 09:40 AM
I go through periods were I really want to cut, especially so from the shoulder to BSL stages, once I get past there it eases.

Please dont cut you will regret it, try a faux bob to cheer you up.

bigmama8
September 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have cut my long hair short several times in my life. I always ended up regretting it quickly. It's frustrating because it takes so long to grow back out. Going from tailbone to chin is a long time of growing that you'd be cutting. I'd try a few inches off at a time before a big cut. If you really want short hair after a few trims, then that is fine. I'd just do it gradually to make sure it was what you want.

QueenAnne'sLace
September 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Step away from the scissors!! :laugh:

Toadstool
September 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
I've just had all mine cut off and I love it.
hair grows back.

inWaiting
September 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cut a chin length layer in your hair, followed by other long layers. you will regret cutting and it is so quick to cut hair but not so quick to get it back. You are just bored and want change, put some nice layers and maybe some color. But dont chop it you will be so sad later...spare yourself the regret.

Roseate
September 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I cut mine from elbow to chin a couple years ago and really enjoyed it! I had had chin length hair before that, so I knew it was a good length on me, no surprises there. My hair was feeling just heavy and in the way all the time; I loved the lightness of the new cut, the quick drying.... it was great.

Feel free to peek in my 'pre-LHC' album if you want to see the scene of the crime.

Even though I'm growing it back, I don't regret it at all. I do agree with the cutting in stages if you're not sure, though.

Eden Iris
September 23rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I think it is the season, because I've been contemplating a cut too (very tapered waist to just past chin). In fact, I'm starting the two-week clock today.

GoddesJourney
September 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
I love to cut my hair and I cut it almost every month. I have rules though. I'm cutting to get rid of damage, so I never cut it shorter than BSL. I've been trying to reach WL for months now, but I find that I'm much happier with my cuts than with long straggly hair that velcros itself at the ends to look like mini dreadlocks (but in a bad way).

If it's damage you want to get rid of, do it, but in stages.

If it's just an "I want short hair for some reason" thing then I would suggest cutting it HALF WAY TO HOW SHORT YOU'RE THINKING OF and leave it there for a day or two. If you still want it shorter, cut it again. If you panick, then you just did yourself half the damage you were planning on and you at least got rid of some split ends. Just my two cents before you :scissors: and then :brickwall:

Good luck!

spidermom
September 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Learn to do a faux bob and wear it that way for awhile. If you love it, go for it. If you enjoy letting it down to your long hair, don't cut it. You can get either look right now. If you cut it, you can't get a long hair look without a wig.

star13
September 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
If hair was something that only grew once and then never grew again perhaps cutting it would be a big deal. Last year I cut off my long hair for a short cut. The cut was awful, but when I shaved the rest off a few months later it was so liberating, since I've had my head close to shaved before, drastic cuts are something I associate with freedom. It grew back so fast, it seems like it was just yesterday, that was less than inch long. Not to diminish the beauty of long hair as well, but part of the fun of long hair is getting it there.

viking_quest
September 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I keep having the urge to cut and then I had a dream where I cut my hair with blunt scissors to chin length. Now I don't have the urge anymore because it looked awful.

Chrissy
September 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
If you visit my page you will see my hair photos. The long hair picture is what it was before I cut it. It was at 29". You can see the progression after I cut in the other pictures. I regret it!! It may be different for you though. Yes hair grows but it takes a LOOOOOOOONG time! Especially if you go from pretty long to really short which is what I did.
I miss my hair so much and I'm sure people who have been around for a while are sick of me saying that. :) I'm considered an "oldie" been here since 2003. It's hard to see others sometimes who did not cut that are now way past me.
But hey I get over it and don't really think about it as much as I used to. Also I'm not getting any younger.
Anyway don't cut unless you are very sure because once you do it will take a long time to grow it back.

friskybiznus
September 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Yes, I've given into the urge to cut and yes! I regretted it. AND it's happened more than once. I wish I knew about LHC when I decided to cut the last time. It's that growing out "in-between" stage that sux.

Sheltie_Momma
September 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
A few chin length layers might scratch the itch?

Whimsical wind
September 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for all your replies. You've given some great advice for me to think about. :flower: The other day I cut a few chin length strands on each side of my face, and I must say I love it. I will try the faux bob thing though, and maybe a wig. I know that's what a few members have done. I definitley won't cut unless I'm really really sure. But I'm only 17 ( just over a week till my 18th) so I have time to grow it back.

DaveDecker
September 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
I checked your profile page, and WOW. Your hair is gorgeous. :flower:

vindo
September 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'm having a bit of a dilemma, I love my long hair but I keep getting the the urge to cut. Drastically. This has been happening for a while, I'm talking months. But I can just see myself regretting it immediatley afterwards (also, my mum would hate me). But nevertheless, there's that tiny voice in the back of my head that says "But I think you'd look really cute with chin length, maybe slightly longer than chin length, hair."

Does anyone else get the urge to cut like this? Did you cave in and decide to cut and end up regretting it, or loving it?

I think about it this way:

I would look very vute in many hairstyles..I just have a face that can wear anything.

BUT: I look cutER and more special with the long hair and would eventually tire of all the short and fashionable styles just like I did in the past. And then it will be a looooong way ahead.

Also, for my hair type, short hair does just not sit right..:shrug: It has to be at least midback to look okay.

Whimsical wind
September 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM
First, let me say thanks for all your support and advice. :blossom: I have decided not to cut. I just don't think I have the face for hair that short. As I said before, I cut a few chin length strands on either side of my face, and I love how they frame my face. :D

freckles
September 25th, 2009, 04:35 AM
First, let me say thanks for all your support and advice. :blossom: I have decided not to cut. I just don't think I have the face for hair that short. As I said before, I cut a few chin length strands on either side of my face, and I love how they frame my face. :D
Next time I get a trim I'm getting my face-framing layers cut to chin (rather than ~shoulder) too! :D It is definitely a cute look on long hair. I'm glad you're happy!

Chrissy
September 25th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Yay!! to not cutting! :)

Amara
September 25th, 2009, 05:06 AM
It sounds like you need a change! So, if you're worried about your certainty level with your hair - can you find something else to change - something less permanent? Think of some ideas for yourself. Something that will feel distracting/fun/meaningful or whatever you think your brain might need. :)

silentwanderer
September 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Ok, I know this thread is kind of closed ,since whimsical wind came to a decision ,but I still feel like I need to give my two cents:D!

I was in the exact same spot months ago. My curls were longer that shoulder length (waist length stretched) and somehow I was unhappy about it. I wanted long hair ,sure, but something inside of me always wanted a inverted bob hair cut. I also wanted my hair long too. I had no idea what to do with myself. On one hand I wanted long flowing curls ,but on the other hand my mind kept bugging me about the cut.

One day I just went into the cheapest salon ever and got a haircut, a short bob and I loved it. I felt relieved ,knowing that I'm still sexy and feminine with short hair. Now I growing my hair long again.
I know I can't make this to a general rule and I'm not even sure if some understand it ,but I needed to make that experience in order to get it out of the way/to get over it!
If I would've kept growing ,I would probably still be unhappy with my hair. Now that I'm here in this community ,surrounded by all this great long haired ladies, I do miss my longer hair a bit. But I still don't regret the step I took.

Whimsical wind
September 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I think what I might is splurge on some hairtoys and learn some new updos. That way I can keep the cutting urge at bay, because if my hair is short I can't use the toys.

sana junaid
September 25th, 2009, 05:40 AM
glad ..no cutting :)