PDA

View Full Version : Horrible problem, desperate for help..

SippyCup
March 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Alright, I'll try and make this breif. PLEASE READ IT.

A few months ago I had my hair cut to about 2 inches all over and it has been growing out since, but what I've been noticing something thats making me very sad.

My normal hair is 1c/2a/m/iii, medium - dark brown colour, and it actually seems to be growing in straighter, this is fine with me, I like straight hair.

BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM.......

There are quite alot of pitch black, unusually thick, coarse hairs which are often 2b-ish. The root on these hairs is actually itself black or a dark grey....... Needless to say, I want them gone!

Can anyone please tell me what may be causing them? I dont take any form of drugs, at all, my diet is pretty much the same and I've never had this problem before, why now :(?

The only thing I can think to get rid of them is shave my head and then use a hair removal cream, which means I'll be a bald 18 year old :(.

SarieQ
March 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I had this same thing begin happening to me when I had my fourth baby. I went through the normal postnatal shed and then hair started growing back in darker, thicker, and curlier than I've ever had. I never had thick M or C hairs mixed in with my F hair before, but there are a ton of them (guessing about 1/4 of my hair). I have also had problems with losing the rest of my waves due to hormones. I still have those darker thicker hairs several years later too. All I can sum it up to is hormones. I'm sure only being eighteen, that you haven't recently had a baby. However, you are still young and this could be a hormonal flux that you are naturally going through. It could also happen from stress or something traumatic happening to you too. I'm not trying to be nosy or anything, but it's amazing how much stress and life circumstances can effect our bodies.

SippyCup
March 9th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Quite possible, and you are right, I haven't had a child (little difficult for guys!).

If it is hormonal, is there anything I can do to combat this, because I REALLY want it to stop?

kate46
March 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I agree with SarieQ this is probably a hormone thing, I'm at the opposite end of the age scale and my hormones are all over the shop at the moment and I also have the odd coarse black hair growing in among my fine/thin silver/medium brown hair, I don't let them worry me but thats not much help to you, I see from your post that you have alot of hair ie. type iii so hopefully when your hair starts to gain length these odd annoying ones will not be so noticable. Wish I could offer a solution, sorry i'm not much help. :(

SippyCup
March 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I agree with SarieQ this is probably a hormone thing, I'm at the opposite end of the age scale and my hormones are all over the shop at the moment and I also have the odd coarse black hair growing in among my fine/thin silver/medium brown hair, I don't let them worry me but thats not much help to you, I see from your post that you have alot of hair ie. type iii so hopefully when your hair starts to gain length these odd annoying ones will not be so noticable. Wish I could offer a solution, sorry i'm not much help. :(Hmmm, I've read about it being hormones on some Internet Doctor type web page, but thought people here might be more accurate, so you and SarieQ are probably right.

Luckily my hair is reasonably dark, so they aren't standing out in that sense, but if my hair keeps growing the way it is, it's probably going to be 1c, perhaps pushing the border of 2a and these weird hairs will stick out :(.

Do you think if I pull them out, they will grow back the same? Because I've been doing that, which creates another problem - alot of short hairs, making it more uneven when it gets longer, grr...hair is supposed to be fun!

Thanks for your help kate46 and SarieQ.

jel
March 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
There are quite alot of pitch black, unusually thick, coarse hairs which are often 2b-ish. The root on these hairs is actually itself black or a dark grey....... Needless to say, I want them gone!

Why?

No really, what's wrong with those hairs? What you describe are strong, healthy hairs. Many of us have a mix of textures, and it's completely natural.

I don't even know if it is hormonal - mine developed at the age of 19, no particular hormone upheavals at the time. I used to joke that my then BF's hair rooted into my scalp ;), as he had coarse, dark 3b/c type curls, exactly the same as the few individual hairs that sprouted around my forehead. The bulk of my hair was fine-medium, and light ash brown.

My suggestion - live with it, and enjoy your hair! :flowers:

spidermom
March 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I've got all types of hair, too, from thick, coarse, and dark to fine, thin, and pale. I've even got a few that are black and extremely kinky, like they came off an African. Luckily, things like that don't bother me. Mix it all together, and we each have hair that is uniquely ours. You've always been pretty critical of your own hair, and that's the only problem I've ever been able to see. Relax. Your hair is going to look fabulous long.

SippyCup
March 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Why?

No really, what's wrong with those hairs? What you describe are strong, healthy hairs. Many of us have a mix of textures, and it's completely natural.

I don't even know if it is hormonal - mine developed at the age of 19, no particular hormone upheavals at the time. I used to joke that my then BF's hair rooted into my scalp ;), as he had coarse, dark 3b/c type curls, exactly the same as the few individual hairs that sprouted around my forehead. The bulk of my hair was fine-medium, and light ash brown.

My suggestion - live with it, and enjoy your hair! :flowers:Well, they look like bent/crinkled fishing line.....or wire? Just disgusting in my opinion?

But thanks for the suggestion :).

SippyCup
March 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I've got all types of hair, too, from thick, coarse, and dark to fine, thin, and pale. I've even got a few that are black and extremely kinky, like they came off an African. Luckily, things like that don't bother me. Mix it all together, and we each have hair that is uniquely ours. You've always been pretty critical of your own hair, and that's the only problem I've ever been able to see. Relax. Your hair is going to look fabulous long.Yeah hahahha, I am WAY too critical of my hair. I wasn't always like this :D! Overall, I am pretty happy with my hair, just things like this really get to me (that wasn't at all obvious).

I suppose it's because I've invested alot of time into my hair, deciding to go from BSL, to almost bald and then having this slap me in the face, makes me dishearted is all.

Feisty Redhead
March 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Just a thought... maybe those coarser, darker hairs were always there but you just didn't notice them so much when your hair was longer?

Either way I agree that you should just embrace it and be happy with it because I am sure it looks just fine. :D

FrannyG
March 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think you'll find that those hairs will likely settle down with just a little more growth. It's quite normal to have several different types of hair on one head. Just keep growing and I think it will all be okay.

Do not pull those hairs out! They'll be fine!

Kittee
March 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
They are fine! Don't stress!

Now you could be like me and start getting those on your chin and neck.....Your a guy tho so.. =)

ktani
March 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
If it is hormonal - and it sounds like a good possibility, shaving your head and using a hair removal cream would not solve the problem.

If it is not hormonal - same thing.

The colour and texture are determined at the root level. A hair removal cream would not affect those things.

I agree with the others - let your hair continue to grow - the colour will change in the light as it gets longer - light will reflect on it differently and being exposed to the weather somewhat it will fade a bit no doubt.

The only way to know if it is a medical condition that needs attention is to see your doctor - it does not sound that way at all.

Shaving your head - it can be a cool look if you are into it but you are not, obviously.

Stubble tends to look darker in any case and the upkeep!

I think you will be fine - try to be patient.

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I've got all types of hair, too, from thick, coarse, and dark to fine, thin, and pale. I've even got a few that are black and extremely kinky, like they came off an African. Luckily, things like that don't bother me. Mix it all together, and we each have hair that is uniquely ours. You've always been pretty critical of your own hair, and that's the only problem I've ever been able to see. Relax. Your hair is going to look fabulous long.

dito to all the above, my hair is a variety of tones, thickness and textures-its what makes us unique!

mira-chan
March 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM
First check if it is a medical problem. If not then it could be a hair type change in progress, that can't be stopped. I went from 1c/2a/medium to 2a/medium/coarse (and looked like your current effect, just long, most likely) to what I have now 2b/coarse. The hairs you describe, dark (mine are close to black but still in the brown range.) thick as fishing line, curly/ very wavy when short, they straighten a bit with length. Mine actually look like a stretched out kinki-curly hair when shorter. Kind of tiny waves, on top of the very loose spiral they form with length. Most people I know think I have straight hair unless I wear it loose and uncombed post wash. Combing it a little bit while it's damp will straighten it just fine.

If it is a hairtype change, and as you are in the later half of your teens (right?) it's quite likely the reason. I suggest finding something positive about them because they are there to stay. With length they will pull down and straighten out a bit.

sapphire-o
March 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
You know, I personally know quite a few people with head full of those hairs you described. They feel rough and stiff and look kinked. That's just what they've got. Together they form thick glossy hair that's quite nice looking. :) I think even I have some of those super dark, thick, wiry hair with spiral curls. Relax, everybody's got mixed hair.

intothemist1999
March 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
In my case the radicals are the GREY hairs! They are a complelely different animal to the rest of my hair! The are thick, strong, have a mind of their own, and most are very wavy. I saved one that is SO squiggly, you wouldn't believe it!! Imagine drawing a wavy line, with the waves around 1/4" or less in height, and the wave going up and down at around 1/4" in length! It's insane! :D I just saved another one that wasn't quite THAT wild, but distinctly "curly".

manyhorsesmane
March 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Feisty Redhead I tend to agree with this: I think they've always been there, lurking. I am the worlds worse when it comes to fiddling, twirling, blow-frying, coloring, brushing, combing, restricting, twisting, my hair, and I've visited every last strand~ I have run across those kinky step-hairs--TWANG!! out with it...does that mean 2 more will grow in it's place, I hope not or I'm in trouble... :D

Also, hormones play a big part as well....my red highlights took to the hills around my 30th year and 2nd child turned 10, never to be seen again. Invasion of the Skunk Stripe-EEEK!!

I won't say how I deal with that issue, for fear of reprimands and remonstrations re: the evils of chemicals ;) , but my hairs are happy and healthy and well-cared for in spite of my dorking with it almost non-stop.

ilovelonghair
March 12th, 2008, 08:09 PM

I also think it's normal, I have them too (started in my teens). Never thought of them as something bad or not normal, I even hoped my whole hair whould change like that so I would have thick strong hair (I used to have real bad breakable hair). Never happened, it just stayed the same, only my hair is much better now.

Btw if it is a patch of such hair, one of my friends had that and it just dissappeared so don't worry.

biggeorge
March 13th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I have the wild gray independent ones also that like to buck the trend and go their own way. As they get longer they tend to fall in line and behave more. If I pulled all of these out it would take me hours, and I would have a couple of bald patches on the sides of my head.

I agree with the others; just love what you have and go from there!

Katze
March 13th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I'm with Spidermom and others...having a mix of textures on my head that gets more noticeable the longer they get, I'm learning how to deal with and get used to them.

My babyfine, dark ash blonde, crown and temples hair needs to not be overconditioned and to be very gently detangled. On the other end of the spectrum my nape hairs are almost wiry in comparison. Very wavy, they are much darker, thicker, and don't seem to grow as long or as fast as the rest of my hair (not that it is long and grows fast!). On really bad hair days the babyfine head hair lies on top of the kinkier nape hair in a most unpleasant way - and god forbid I try to put my hair up! Then all the nape hairs stick out all over the place in a fuzzy halo that does not match the rest of my hair!

Even creepier were the 1-2 times I pulled something out that looked like black HORSE hair - this would be fine if the rest of my hair was so coarse, but I felt like it was some kind of mutant.

Oh, and my BF, who is also a long finehair, also has this coarser, curlier nape hair. God preserve our kids...! :D

So I try to condition the nape hairs and even put some hair gel on them to make them blend with the rest a bit better. Misting helps, too.

I hope my story can show you that you are not alone and help you feel better about your "weird" hairs. We all have them!

SarieQ
March 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I happen to agree with everyone else who says to leave them alone and enjoy them. I have fine hair and was just elated to find thick hairs on my head. I didn't care if it was age, or hormones, or freak renegade hairs! Mine are coarse and contort all weird. No two are alike. Some are cork screwed too. I love them. They aren't noticeable to other people at all and don't mess with my mostly fine wavey locks--they just blend in. The only time I see them is when I'm brushing my hair out before washing and then they stand up and out. I look at it as a blessing and not a freak of nature. Come to think of it, when my son was preschool age, he had a black really thick hair above his ear and the rest of his hair was fine and the lightest blond.

vindo
March 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I could think og two reasons behind it.

1. Hormones
2. Gene Coctail

1. Since you are 'only' 18 your body just went through a hormone change and so did your hair. During puberty we usually grow darker, coarser hair (*same here*^^)(changes on women are a little different) and the finer vellus hairs change into terminal ones.
If you were a little late pubertywise it could make sense that you get hit this intense in your late teens :uhh:
Your hormones might be really confused right now and so they produce those "horse hairs" that look very different from your old hair. I think once your hormones are balanced the texture will also balance and be something inbetween.
If youre really worried you could of course get your hormones checked by a Dr.
Coarser hairgrowth often means more Testosteron (male genes)..:)

2. This would be likely to be the cause especially if youre mixed race but also if your parents brought very different genes into the family. After puberty the coarser gene might have actually come out.
From personal experience I know it happens to a lot of asian or mixed asian kids that are born with lighter and finer hair that usually darkens and thickens as they grow up ;)

Emi

spidermom
March 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM
So Sippycup, are you feeling any better about your hair?

pariate
April 11th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi SippyCup

I'm sorry, I'm totally clueless and have no idea what this might be, but I hope you feel better about this! My hair is quite mixed - I have some fine wispy ones, some medium and some seemingly random super-coarse ones! Ho hum... I guess we're both moggies ;)