PDA

View Full Version : I used coconut oil before coloring

inWaiting
September 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ok, I know it sounds crazy with the extensive damage that had been done to my hair for me to color again...However, I have been using the coconut oil and my hair has transformed. I read on here that coconut oil before coloring your hair protects hair from damage. There was no promises or guarantee, there was information on a study that was done that determined coconut oil protects the protien. I figured my roots were 1 1/2 inches long and aweful, my hair color was not great (i had used semi to tone the color before and it was washing out, grays were popping up:() and although the health of my hair is unimaginable compared to when I first came on here to LHC 2 months ago, the color roots and cut of my hair was depressing. Yesterday I applied the oil, left it in all day and night, this morning without washing i applied more coconut oil. It was not reccomended to put heavy layer of the oil in prior to coloring, but with what my hair went through I figured if the color doesn't take oh well I need to keep my hair. So I used enough oil to make it slightly greasy. I waited only five or so minutes and then colored my hair. My hair did NOT get damaged at all! My hair feels like the only thing that happened to it was a treatment. The color took beautifully, my roots lifted from dark brown to a pretty blonde, and I was able to even out the color for the length of my hair!! So with the slightly heavy oiling before coloring my hair blonde, the color took completely and my hair is more healthy than before i colored it!!

Medievalmaniac
September 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
I'd love to see a picture of the results, if you can manage it.

inWaiting
September 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'd love to see a picture of the results, if you can manage it.
I have not yet taken a pic, and I actually plan on posting my before and after pictures in 2 months, I want two more inches of growth before I show them. Sorry, but my hair was at bottom of ribcage before I went to salon and my hair melted off to shoulder length, some were much shorter I now have chunky layers that are not so pretty...lol to say the least, and in two incehs it will look relatively good. I would post and am sorry, if you could take my word the color took very well and looks nice.

RancheroTheBee
September 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
:) Well, we'd love to see a picture when you can manage it. But in any case, I'm glad it worked for you! Coconut oil can sometimes make damaged hair freak out, so I'm glad it didn't do that for you. I just started having it agree with me.