PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about the state of my hair!

seanw
September 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi,

This is a great site – I've been trawling through and it's engrossing. But I need some advice.

My hair is close to the length I want it (just below shoulder level). But it isn't in the condition I want it, it could be better: sleeker, smoother. The big problem, I think, is split ends, but I'm no expert. I've posted some pictures so you can see for yourselves.

I do try to take care of it. However, I go to the gym daily and have to wash it most days, if not every day. Washing routine is fine (I think!): wash the scalp, rinse, condition the length, rinse. I don't rub the hair dry, nor do I use a blow drier. I did wring it in a towel, but realise now I should only blot it. Then I let it air-dry. I used to use spray-on/leave in conditioner while my hair was damp, but recently switched to a little jojoba oil when the hair has dried. I don't comb it excessively, and use a wide-toothed comb.

I've recently been thinking about hot oil too – perhaps once a week, and I've come across a recipe (2 tables olive oil, 1 tables honey) that I might try (but are there other tried-and-true formulas?).

Anyway, should I get my hair trimmed to help with the split-ends problem (assuming that's the reason why my hair isn't as sleek as I'd like it)? I did get a trim a month-or-so ago, with instructions given to trim the split-ends, but I don't think that's what was done – it ended up being just a simple trim, I think. Would a trim even help? I'd be prepared to lose an inch (or two) if that would work, but would more length than that need to be lost to do the job properly?

I really don't know, and don't want to get it cut if that's not going to help. But if that's not the solution, what is?

Sean

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/assscat/hair/Screenshot2009-09-22at115423.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/assscat/hair/Screenshot2009-09-22at115430.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/assscat/hair/Screenshot2009-09-22at115458.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/assscat/hair/Screenshot2009-09-22at115507.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/assscat/hair/Screenshot2009-09-22at115518.jpg

Fractalsofhair
September 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Your hair doesn't appear to have many splits, but a lot of frizz and dryness. Have you tried only rinsing your hair daily? Olive oil is a good treatment, and you don't need for it to be hot, just leave it in for longer. A lot of us use coconut oil as well.

OhioLisa
September 22nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
I don't think "sleek" is something you're really going to get as a wavy. Your ends really look great to me, so I don't see a need for a trim. Maybe a once-a-week deep treatment would help, but as I said, if you're looking for perfectly smooth and sleek, you might be disappointed. You might want to check out some of the wavy threads around and go with your hair type, not against it. Good luck. :)

melikai
September 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Your hair is a very nice colour!
I'd try an SMT treatment, every week, or else try to do a deep oil treatment before shampooing. Also, look at the shampoo you use, and if it has sulphates, perhaps try a more gentle sulphate-free shampoo - especially if you do near daily washing.
But yes, as a wavy, your hair will not ever really be "sleek". You don't really have any split ends that I can see, just dryness.

Finally, I can't be sure, but were your ends cut with a razor? Razor cutting can exacerbate split ends.

Anje
September 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I don't see much in the way of splits, just hairs that wave out of sync with the main wave pattern. (I get those too. Most people with wavy or curly hair have asynchronous hairs.)

I find that rinsing my hair with cool or cold water at the end of my shower reduces these over doing the final rinse all warm. Working a little gel through the hair while it's damp might also get them under better control. (Aloe gel works pretty well for a lot of folks and is moisturizing. Others prefer alcohol-free hair gels for better hold.) But a little un-sleekness is part of life when you have hair with waves.

sherigayle
September 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Another wavy here.:waving: You can also try conditioning before you shampoo and leaving some conditioner in your hair after washing. Leaving a bit of conditioner helps weigh the hair down and controls some of the unruly waves. Or you can use conditioner instead of shampoo.

seanw
September 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! I've already learned a lot:

1) that I've wavy hair (I didn't know the term, and I'm way too intimidated right now to try to understand these 2a etc. classifications)

2) that it's not split ends (yay! no trim required - such a relief!).

But to the frizz and dryness – am I to understand that the frizz is just part-and-parcel of wavy hair (and that the frizz is due to asynchronous hairs)?

OK, my shampoo has two 'sulphates' in it, so I'll look to change that. Will some kind of deep treatment - SMT or oil (olive, jojoba, coconut etc.) left in for while - once a week sort out the dryness, do you think?

And I've just found the 'wavy and wurly' thread. I'll go ahead and wade into the 26 pages… :)

Presto
September 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
That amount of frizz could actually indicate lurking curls... :) That's fairly tight wave pattern, so you could treat it like curly hair and see what happens.

Oils are good, you'll want to use a leave in, I think. It may not fit with your routine, but leaving in a dab of conditioner may give you the sleekness you're after. However, it won't be straight and sleek, but glossy waves/curls.

Use a quarter size dab of conditioner, I started out with Suave coconut, increase or decrease the amount after you see the results the first time. Add this leave in after you are out and it's mostly towel dried, so it doesn't drip as much watery conditioner down your neck.

Work it evenly through your hair, and then try not to touch it until it's dried.

When it's dry and crunchy all over, scoop up handfuls of hair and "scrunch the crunch out".

You may not turn out as curly as I think you have potential for. And this may not be a good method for you in the end. I think anyone with the sort of spiral I see in your second picture ought to give this a try and see how it goes. :)

If a cheap conditioner like Suave coconut works well for you and you like the results, you can move on to other products and gels.

bttrfly857
September 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
I didn't see if anyone mentioned this, but jojoba on wet hair, to lock in the moisture! Just a drop or two should cover it.

Jojoba can also help smooth out the frizzies, but generally I think your hair looks fine!