PDA

View Full Version : Should I cut off all my length? Help!

iluvmy67cuda
September 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
I just really need your opinion, to see if i should cut my hair or im just crazy and obessed. I have thinning hair because of genetic problems/stress etc. But from the back, it looks like the ends are thinning REALLY bad. Im thinking i should cut it about shoulder blade length and get layers, so i get volume and its not so stringy looking. What do you think? Do you think it looks bad? I just would LOVE to have a nice thick hemline, but its not going to happen. I really dont want short hair, but i think i should do whatever would look best. I want to ignore it all and keep growing, but its just bugging the heck out of me. Right now i use a wood seamless comb sometimes, no brushes, no heat, i do use alot of cones. I've tried soo many things i've learned on here, but nothing seems to help.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/August%202008/DSC01766.jpg

Quixii
September 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
I hope this doesn't sound offensive, but I would honestly cut it back to about BSL, maybe a little longer. :)

Edit: Maybe waist. Sometimes smaller trims can seem to "rearrange" things and look more different than you'd expect. Plus, getting rid of so much length at once could be a bit traumatic..

BlackfootHair
September 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Honestly, I would leave it be, and see if it thickens up some more in the coming months. You could always trim a few inches, but make yourself stop at a certain goal if trimming. It could be very easy to start trimming trimming trimming. Emichee successfully thickened her hairline by doing small trims over an extended period of time. Perhaps new hairstyles might help waiting?

teela1978
September 21st, 2009, 10:09 PM
The ends are a bit sparse. Cutting to shoulder seems a bit extreme to me though. I'm with Quixii, if you want a thick hemline, it looks like you could pull it off around BSL, maybe a little longer. Even waist looks like it would thicken things up a bit. Maybe take it one step at a time?

Trim to waist-ish, see if you like it... trim to a little past bsl, see if you like it, etc...

Your hair is very pretty, I love the waves and the color. It would be a shame to see almost all of it cut off (imho) :)

naomimcc
September 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Honestly, I would leave it be, and see if it thickens up some more in the coming months. You could always trim a few inches, but make yourself stop at a certain goal if trimming. It could be very easy to start trimming trimming trimming. Emichee successfully thickened her hairline by doing small trims over an extended period of time. Perhaps new hairstyles might help waiting?

I was going to mention that....check with Emichee on how she managed. She had very thin ends due to a hairdresser screwup I believe but she rocked it and has amazing hair now!

Moldilocks
September 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
I think your hair is lovely. I'm not sure I would cut at all. Yes your hair is thinner at the bottom, but you have beautiful waves. If anything I would do a smallish trim of a couple inches, then just wait and see what happens.

Laylah
September 21st, 2009, 10:20 PM
If I were you I would cut off about half of the thin part, would (I think) leave you at about tailbone, then maintain that length for a year or so to thicken it a bit. A cut to waist would give you a thick hemline right away, but if I had you length I wouldn't be able to part with that much hair.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

friskybiznus
September 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'd trim it to about waist and see how it looks. Maybe work on thickening it (however you do that! :D) and give it some time. You have very pretty hair!

iluvmy67cuda
September 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Thats the magic question to ask, what will thicken the hemline? I have NO idea what to try at this point. I think i might start with cutting it around bsl length. Should i get layers? would that make it worse? Also, im still going to contemplate more cutting. I dont even know where to go to get a haircut, its been years. I need to pay xtra to get it done right.

iluvmy67cuda
September 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
btw, what is the best cut to have for wavy hair? should i have them cut it straight across, to keep it thick as possible?

Willow
September 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
I also think you should trim it back to bsl. You do not want layers if you are having trouble maintaining a full hemline. Layers will just make it thinner. I would ask for a slight u shaped hemline when you go and make sure to specify that you want it to be bsl when it is dry.

Melisande
September 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM
To be honest, I would cut. The taper would disturb me, in spite of the pretty waves. I think somewhere between waist and BSL would be a good compromise. That's not short hair, and you are closer to the fullness.

Your hair looks good where it is full, but there is a contrast between the thinning and the full part. The full waves make the thinning part appear even thinner, so I would pamper the full hair and get rid of at least a part of the thinning hair.

I don't really believe in layers. If you have a very skilled stylist, they do add volume - for a time. If you have an average stylist, they just look stringy. And after a while, when the hair grows, layers tend to look as if your rats nibbled at them ;-) I had layers twice - once I loved them, once I hated them. Much depends on the skill of the stylist. So look for a good one.

How to thicken up a hemline?

From within. I don't know your genetic problem but you have to make sure that your new growth is healthy and keeps on growing and doesn't fall out. That means: eat your veggies, move in fresh air, get enough sleep, drink your water ("yes, Grandma"). If you need it, add MSM, biotion, hair vitamins, multi vitamins - but not as replacement of good eating habits, only as a booster.

Then think of your scalp. I wouldn't use cones on the scalp - danger of build up. Keep your scalp healthy and strong. I recommend massages with essential oils once a week the night before a wash, others have exerienced more shedding. My experience is that my new hair is stronger, healthier and stays on longer. Check out the monistat and other ideas.

A nice and gentle scalp peeling may help your scalp if you have buildup already. You need to give optimal conditions to your new growth.

I guess if you are here since 2007 you follow the Golden Rules of Gentle Haircare anyway: dilute your shampoo or replace it with conditioner at least some of the time, moisturize your hair, beware of damage and stress for your hair (from scratchy brushes to chair backs and car belts; from blow dryer to flat iron; from perm to bleach... no-nos abound!), keep your hair contained.... I mention them here only for the benefit of newbies who might somehow have escaped this arcane knowledge ;-)

If I was you, I'd use only a gentle horn comb once a day. Open your hair twice a day, morning and evening, to detangle, moisturize it with rose water or distilled water and camelia, coconut oil or Fox' sheabutter mixture, then put it up again in the gentlest style possible.

I'd try cassia, maybe only as gloss to make sure you do no mechanical damage to your hair in the process. Catnip is great for strengthening the ends.

Before washs, make deep treatments, if possible with a little protein (not so much as to make your hair crunchy) and lots of moisture.

If you have split ends, you need very good scissors for S&D, and for a trim every, hum, six months? but not more often than every 4 months.

And stick to your regimen for at least a year.

I have the feeling you do most of this already, don't you?

If all this doesn't help, you should try to find a medical solution for the genetic problem. I'm sorry you have these troubles, I really like your color and especially the waves.

JamieRose
September 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
I would say DON'T get layers. They tend to make hair lay flatter and look thinner, generally. I have layers, and while I liked them for awhile, they are now the bane of my hair existence. I would cut to a little below BSL with a blunt hemline, and let it grow from there. You have beautiful waves and a very pretty color, so I think shoulder would be a shame...

Flynn
September 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
I'd cut to about waist, with a u-shape or somesuch, rather than straight. The thickness difference will probably wind up looking much like layers, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

There's nothing really wrong with a thinner hairline, but like you say, from that pic it has gotten a little on the piece-y side, unfortunately. TT^TT

heatherdazy
September 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU GET LAYERS. There are some hairtypes that can look fuller with layering and yours would not be one of them.

I agree with everyone else that you should cut to BSL.

teela1978
September 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM
btw, what is the best cut to have for wavy hair? should i have them cut it straight across, to keep it thick as possible?

I'm a fan of self-trimming myself, using feye's method (
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/). The V-cut (it's pretty shallow and easily modified to a U) is quite simple, and that way you could do a little at a time and stop when you were satisfied, like take off 2 inches today, in a week or so take off another 2, etc... I'm not a fan of fast changes :)

ETA: my link is doing odd things, here's feye's self trim:

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Robbi Dehlinger
September 21st, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hi

I would not cut!

I have virtually NO hair on top but am stioll growing, wigs do help!

Have you tried Natrol Products? (DHT Blocker and Support) Theses are herbal rememdies which are working weel for me? Check your local CVS or other Drug Stores?

Your have is VERY pretty!

freecelt
September 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
I agree the majority (I think) cut a little off but not to shoulder blade somewhere between tb and bra strap. But if your up for thickening the hem go for it! In fact, I'll join you ;) :D

fluffybunny
September 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
From the picture the thickness looks fine at BSL, and maybe all the way to waist if you don't mind a little taper. Just take off a few inches at a time. It's easy to do a self-cut with ponytail holders. Just band it every few inches and cut off the tail. Layers don't seem like a good idea to me since they create even more taper.

Toadstool
September 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
I would say cut it to BSL. But to me that's still really long. So if it would freak you out don't do it!

Zindell
September 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Beautiful hair! I see two options;

1. Keep it as it is. I actually love the thinner ringlets... like a fairytale princess

2. If you want a thicker even hemline: Cut it at BSL but do not cut in layers...

prittykitty
September 22nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
It looks thick right about BSL and then it looks thin. I would cut it to BSL. Long layers might be very cute too if you really want them but I would start with just the BSL first and see how it grows from there.

share801
September 22nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
I have similiar hair and am glad to see the opinions for my own benefit too. I would agree that layers would be BAD idea - we seem to have similiar hair and they have never worked for me despite what the hairdressers promised when they talked me into them. I would start with waist personally; BSL is a bit short IMO.

redneckprincess
September 22nd, 2009, 05:08 AM
well first off no it dosent look too thin...and I have seen some{on here} who are and need to and Id tell you if it were you. its not. anyways if you do feel the need to cut Id say maybe to hip and see how that looks if YOU still think its to thin then maybe to waist..then if YOU still dont like it cut a bit at a time until YOU like how it looks.

janeytilllie
September 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
I think your hair is very beautiful and fairytale princess like :inlove:

But if you do decide to cut, I would recommend maybe waist and see how you feel about it :)

Also I wouldn't recommend layers. I have a wavy hair and I got layers. They did look great for a while but then went all straggly looking.

HTH :flower:

jasper
September 22nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
I agree with those saying your hair looks pretty. If you decide to cut, you don't have to do it all at once. Many people have already suggested going up to BSL. I think it would feel thicker to you if you cut- but you can work your way up to a length that feels good- maybe to about elbow length at first.
It seems like blunt would feel thicker than layers. But again, I think that it something you could think about trying after you see what reduced length does for you.

Irishred
September 22nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
iluvmy67cuda,

First, I want to say NO layers. Putting in layers will remove hair from your possible hemline. Anyone that tries to tell you layers will help has no clue what they are talking about.

I am going to go on the side of trim a little. It looks like your longest are TB or near classic. I suggest trimming maybe 2 inches a month until you get to a length you are happy with your hem line. Personally, I like a slight U shaped hem especially above TB length, it just seems to move a bit more. When I mean slight I mean like ( turned to a smile. When you are happy with the thickness of the hem, maintain that length for a while and see what happens.

Now if you really want to start with a bigger cut, I suggest waist and maintain that with 1/2 inch trims every 4-6 weeks for like 6 months to see if the hem thickens any, if you are not happy, trim off a couple more inches to mid back/ lower BSL and maintain that.

I hope our suggestions help.

Maddy25
September 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
If it were me I would cut it to around waist, that way the thinnest part is gone and you can grow it back with a much thicker hem. Shoulderblade would look cute but you will miss your styling options :)

JessTheMess
September 22nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
I don't think that it looks as terrible as you think. :shrug:
If you want a thicker hemline, I say trim to waist... I wouldn't cut all the way to BSL though.
I noticed that once I gave up cones, my hair didn't shed as much..but everyone's hair is different

ETA: I agree with those that said no layers. I am still growing mine out =( They make my hair a lot thinner than what it could be

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Do you want to wear your hair down? If so, I would cut to waist and see how it looks. If you wear it in an updo all the time, the taper doesn't really matter. I would strongly suggest rethinking the layer idea. Layers will only make your ends thin again. Layers mean less hair. They work better on curlier hair. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

jivete
September 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Just one more vote for no layers if you decide to trim.

yogachic
September 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
Yes, your ends are thin from BSL down. I think a trim to just above bsl where the thinning ends would be short enough to go. It's still thick way below shoulder. Good luck in your desicion. :)

KarpatiiSiv
September 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Your hair is very pretty with lovely waves.

If you do decide to cut, I would suggest waist and see how you feel about it then. You can always cut more off if you are still unhappy with it.

I wouldn't recommend layers as they will only make your ends thin again.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
I think your hair will look nicer if you cut back to waist with a U shape. No layers though, that will thin out your ends too much. If you really want a change that includes layers, then go all the way back to APL. I think you have enough thickness to manage layers at that length.

LadyLongLocks
September 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
I would cut off a few inches until the hemline looks more solid. Do a little at a time and leave it to see how you like it. Please do NOT do layers! A blunt straight across cut makes it appear thicker and if the ends curl slightly, it will look even thicker!
BSL would be the shortest I would cut it if it were my hair.

TammySue
September 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I just recently cut my hair due to thinning from surgery and medications. Go to my Photo Albums to see my before and after. I would recommend that you cut to waist length. Blunt with no layers. :blossom:

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Here's what I would do. I would trim back to waist just because the hair is thicker there and it won't be such a huge trim and I would maintain there for about 6 months and see if the hemline thickened up. I would NEVER cut layers into your hair! I'm trying to grow mine out and my hair at BSL is twice as thick as my ends because thats where the layers start.. they leave your ends much thinner than the top and thats exactly what you want to avoid.

If you like your length and can't bare to part with even WL, I would maintain where your length is for a while and see if it thickens up, other wise I would cut. :flowers: You do have beautiful hair though!!

Babyfine
September 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
I think your hair is lovely- I would first cut just a few inches off- blunt hemline- and see how that looks.
The shortest I would go is BSL- NO layers as others have said.
Every time I've had layers cut in they look great for awhile and grow out straggly and thin looking.

Shermie Girl
September 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
We have very similar hairtypes. I would also suggest that a trim to about waist in a blunt or slight U shape would probably work really well. Keep it there for a bit and see if microtrims over time help to thicken your hemline. I would definitely avoid layers. Contrary to popular belief, layers don't make hair thicker or fuller. Removing hair just makes it thinner. And if you are struggling with thinning hair, the last thing you want to do is take away even more hair.

If you are still unhappy about your hair at waist, BSL would give you a thick and full hemline. I would absolutely go no shorter. There is no reason to. And I would still avoid layers. (That is just me, tho... I don't like layers in my own hair. Layers and waves can look wonky unless precisely styled every day.) :D

JamieLeigh
September 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
Everyone has given you some great advice and some good points to ponder.

I agree that you don't have to cut all the way up to BSL if you still want long hair very badly. It looks like, from your photo, you could cut to somewhere between waist and BSL and still pull off a nice, thick hemline. Your curls and waves are amazing, and you might lose some of them if you go much shorter than that, and that would be a shame. :(

I'd also like to cast my vote for NO layers! Especially if you want a thicker, fuller hemline. The fullest-looking hemline is the blunt, straight-across cut, and it might not look so severe on you since you have waves, like I do. I trim my own, and I straighten it out (heat-free!) before trimming and do a straight-across. When my natural waves come back out, it looks like a very gentle U. My hair is pretty fine, thanks to 5 rounds of post-partum shedding, medication issues and general health upsets. *sigh* :rolleyes: So when my ends start looking thin and scraggly, I just trim a bit and maintain until it catches back up again. It's worked pretty well so far this year, I would dare to say! :D

I hope everything works out well for you, and you can become happy with your hair again. That's the most important thing. :flower:

freckles
September 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
I like my long layers in my hair, but I have to say, if you're concerned about your thickness, I think layers will make it seem thinner, not thicker. So I agree with everyone else; no layers! If it were me, I think I would just trim an inch or so at a time, and leave a couple of weeks between each trim to see if I was happy at the new length, that way you'll find the longest length that you're happy with, without cutting too much. I hope you're happy with your hair again soon :)

bigmama8
September 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
I think that your hair is lovely! If you do want a thicker hemline, I'd only cut a couple inches off at a time to see how you like it. Then I'd wait a few weeks to see how it looks before taking any more off. You may regret cutting too much off at once. You can always maintain it at a certain length until the hemline thickens.

frodolaughs
September 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Like a lot of people on here, I'd suggest that if what is bothering you about your hair is the thinness at the bottom of your length, then layers are not the answer. Cutting in layers will only make your hair thinner. I also think you should consider cutting back incrementally--start by cutting to waist, see how you like that, and then if you want to cut back further you can. as you know, it's much faster to cut than to grow, so if you cut off too much you won't be able to do anything but wait. If you don't cut enough you can always get another trim tomorrow.

Darkhorse1
September 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
I love how your hair looks! Maybe give it some time to see if your other ends will catch up--remember, hair doesn't grow evenly. It grows at different rates and if you've had problems due to health/stress, that will also cause thinner ends.

Whatever you decide, YOU have to be happy with it. I think you hair is lovely!! The ends will thicken over time-mine have :D

Periwinkle
September 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
If I were you, I'd probably start by cutting to waist. Your thickness is really up to BSL-ish bbut trims can really change things, so your hair might look thicker than it does now. I wouldn't go for layers - I hated them when I had them (and hate the remnants of them), plus I don't think they'd make your hair look thicker.

Sylvanas
September 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
If a thick hemline is what you want, I'd go for BSL or waist. Not necessarily in one big chop, though. Remember that wearing light fabric (as in your pic) will show off thinning ends more.

I would definitely not go for layering. Your hair looks beautiful and healthy, it's just the ends that look thin to me. Speaking from experience, do not get layers done with a razor if you decide you want some :tmi: It might make your hair look fuller at first, but as it grows back out, it'll look thinner than it did to begin with.

Ultimately it's your decision, and make sure you do what is right for you, but in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to trim the ends :)

Deborah
September 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Here's another vote for BSL with NO layers.

In your photo, your hair looks nice and thick right until BSL, then there is a line of demarcation where the thickness ends, and the rest is thin.

I wonder if you used to wear ponytails or something like that which caused a lot of hair breakage all in one spot. This might be something to be careful of as you grow more.

Good luck! I think the cut will improve the beauty of your hair a lot, and that you will feel better to be rid of the thinness. :flower:

juliaxena
September 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
If it was me, I'd go for BSL but definately not layers. Thyddon't give as much volume as you would think and they definately aren't good to get a thick hemline.

Poetic
September 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Bra-strap would definitely give you a nice hemline.

natt i nord
September 22nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
I'd say cut to something around waist, if your ends are really bugging you. I don't think it looks too bad, they may just look so thin on that photo because your hair is in strands.

But don't get layers, please. I think they just would make your problem even worse as the shorter layer strands are 'missing' on the 'real' hemline then.
That is one of the reasons I don't have a pony - the hair that is cut into a pony will be missing in my ponytail then and make it look even worse.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
I was just looking through your hair album and the photo you have as your avatar, it looks great, I just wanted to mention your ends currently are how mine look with layers. We have pretty much the same hair type, and you can see how mine look here (http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4632.jpg) and here (http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4811.jpg). Its twice as thick at BSL as it is at my ends.. and the ends are very thin and split very easy because there isn't any other hair there to be a buffer.. so when I S&D it really shows.

I think I would cut back to waist or hip and maintain there for a while and see if it thickens up :) You really do have beautiful hair!

pixiedoo
September 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I agree that layers is not the way to go if you want thicker hair.

About 2 years ago I lost a whole load of hair due to illness and it is only last 9 months it has begun to thicken up again. During the time that my hair was thinning, my hairdresser told me that layers would give the illusion of thickness!! Why did I believe her!! I'm still growing them out and regret having them so much.

Just like Cherry_Sprinkle, my hemline would much thicker if it were not for my layers.

You have beautiful hair and really pretty waves. Just do some small trims and see how you like the effect :)

jojo
September 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I havent read the replies but personally I would cut to waist, I find a u shaped hem gives the impression of a thicker hemline, so even if you are not meant to have a thick hemline (you and me both) you can cheat and give the impression of one!

vindo
September 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I was going to mention that....check with Emichee on how she managed. She had very thin ends due to a hairdresser screwup I believe but she rocked it and has amazing hair now!

My ends were thinner due to many factors, I had layers starting at shoulder length in hip length hair, damage from chemicals applied at a hair salon (I sued them), I used to dye my hair..
It is not that my ends are much thicker now..I'm at classic length though and considering that they would be very thick if I would trim back to hip length..
My current classic length ends are only a teeny bit thicker though. My hair is much more even now which helps making it look neat. :)

I have like always documented everything in my blog.

That said..you do need some sort of hemline too start with and if the hair is very very thinned out it will take a very very long time to show progress and not be as effective since natural shedding will also work against you.
So I would vote to shorten the hair a bit to a point where theres a bit more thickness and then see how much it helps from there.

Fiferstone
September 24th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Layers will definitely make it WORSE, then you'll have uneven hair driving you even more nuts because hair never grows out evenly all around. I agree with reading up on Emichee's method. As you figure out how to treat the thinning in the first place, try different things with your styling and care methods, it'll thicken up. Next thing you know your "halo" will start to bug you, but that will be new short growth joining the long older growth. That's definitely a good thing even though it can be a bit annoying. Best of luck, and if you are contemplating a big chop (from current length to BSL, for example), definitely think about it for a minimum of 2 weeks.

iluvmy67cuda
September 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I appreciate everybodies help. Well, i cut off about 6 inches myself, but i am totally ocd, and i need to make sure it's even, so when i get paid im going to supercuts to get about 2 or 3 more inches cut off and get it super even, straight acrosss. I'll post pics when i get it.

Is it better to cut wavy hair dry or wet? I just want to get it as straight as i can.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I cut mine wet because when its dry its always different lengths, I can't wait to see it after your trim :flower:

ChloeDharma
September 29th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I feel i should invoke the 2 week rule at this point! ;)
I know how these things go, last year i went from a bit past hiplength, maybe tailbone to APL length, visiting waist inbetween.
I had severe fairytailing and hairloss and felt really low about it. In retrospect i do regret it though, maybe not going shorter than waist would have been a better idea for me.
Anyway, see, i like your hair as it is.....my reaction to your picture when i saw the ends was "ooooh pretty tendrils!!" Personally i think it would be a shame to loose them. If i were you i'd just keep it up, focus on your health and lots of scalp treatments/massage, keep the ends oiled and protected and just leave it.
There have been lots of suggestions here, supplements would be a good idea, a good multivitamin.....especially one aimed at hair would be a good idea and perhaps some MSM which is said to increase the anagen (growth) phase would help some of the shorter hairs get longer and bring your thickness lower.
At your length though fairytailing looks lovely.....my personal bias i know and YOU need to be happy with your hair. But if you take my advice.....leave it a couple of weeks before deciding anything to make sure it's not an emotional reaction, then if you still want to trim i'd say like some others just do a couple of inches a month until you are happy. A couple of inches you'll get back in say 4 months.....but 6 will take about a year which is a big risk as after cutting you might regret it.

Debra83
September 29th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I think I would cut to BSL and start again. Unless someone can come up with an amazing idea. But, if you like to wear it down like I do, that's what I would do - I think - if I were in your shoes. If you don't mind wearing it up most of the time, then don't cut. Just enjoy the length at home, and keep it up when you're in public.