PDA

View Full Version : Things I have learned...

CowgirlKate
September 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
... since I cut my hair.
- I can no longer drive with windows down unless my hair is in a pony tail. I used to be able to twist is and keep it safe between my back and seat.
- My hair may have been slightly wavy when it is tailbone length but it is EXTREMELY wavy when it is short.
- Now everyone I see has BSL length hair, go figure.

If you have cut your hair and learned any lessons, please share them.

ericthegreat
September 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
I certainly hope you aren't already regretting your haircut. I think you look very cute with your new, shoulder length layered haircut. You're a beautiful young woman, your hair whether its long or short is simply a bonus feature.

I myself don't plan on ever cutting my hair shorter. I myself prefer to have and keep growing my hair to terminal.

CowgirlKate
September 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
I certainly hope you aren't already regretting your haircut. I think you look very cute with your new, shoulder length layered haircut. You're a beautiful young woman, your hair whether its long or short is simply a bonus feature.

I myself don't plan on ever cutting my hair shorter. I myself prefer to have and keep growing my hair to terminal.

I am not regretting it. Thank you for your complement.

One other thing to add to the list.
- Everyone I know hated that I had long hair. Everyone's response when I cut it was "FINALLY!"

RancheroTheBee
September 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
In 2007, I shaved my head. It was formerly about the length I am at now.

I learned I have a nervous habit of throwing it into a French twist, then letting it down, putting it up, etc. Suddenly, I had no hair. I couldn't do it anymore. I compensated by rubbing my bald head a lot. About a month ago, I was finally able to hold a French twist into my hair with about five pins. :) Go me.

I learned that while I looked good bald, great with a pixie and even better at shoulder, chin-length was the ugliest damned length on me, ever. If I cut my hair in the future, it will never be that short.

I learned that I didn't like having short hair. I don't have the know-how or dexterity to style it correctly, and it doesn't look that good on me. Oh, well. Gotta try everything once.

embee
September 22nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
Heh. Learning.... ;)

I gave myself an 8 inch blunt cut chop right before I found LHC. I learned that a blunt cut was not for me... I was unable to make any updo look right because my stick straight blunt cut ends all stuck straight out like the bristles of a paint brush. Maybe that works for some, but for this slick fine straighty it was FAIL all the way. It took *months* for my fairytale ends to return... and I was miserable until they got there.

whiteisle
September 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
What I've learned:

Saying "It's just hair, it will grow" as it's being hacked off isn't very comforting once the reality sets in that "it's just hair and it will take a loooooong time to grow".

It's never as easy to care for/maintain as I try to convince myself it is.

I should never, never, never under voluntary circumstances get a pixie again ~ twice is enough, I've learned my lesson.

Short hair makes me look like one of the many clone moms running around these days (the bob in one form or another) and I sooooo don't fit in with that image or mentality and don't want to be mistaken that I do.

I'm sure there's more but I'm probably suffering from repression of such experiences. :p

JamieLeigh
September 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I cut from nearly knee length to just below BSL about 11 years ago or so. I didn't enjoy it a bit. And I learned that I'm meant to be a long-hair for life. :flower:

hmmm
September 23rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I cut to pixie from shoulder length, and it was a loooot of fun at first.

I could quit combing/brushing -completely- and nobody would notice
I could wash my hair in the shower and it took no time at all
It was so much cooler on my neck and around the ears!
I outraged everybody and got lots of comments that were almost rude - because where I live, girls don't do things like that
For a while, I almost enjoyed the 'You look like a boy' comments, and sometimes dressed like one

I had to trim it more than once because of all the strange layers and 'textured' things that grew out funnily
It takes an age to grow hair that you have to keep trimming
Short hair doesn't necessarily take less time to bother with than long hair, especially if you don't know what to do with it for a special occasion for instance
There are very very limited things you can do with hair that short, and spiking it is really not fun beyond a point
It gets dirty easily
After a point, the wind gets to you but you can't get it out of your hair's way
I started to stare at every long haired person and curse them because I knew my hair would look better than theirs at that length

Trying out henna, herbal washes and so on is much less tedious with short hair, or so I imagine
I take up much less amounts of conditioner
I don't need to control frizz or use leave-ins

I could go on for ages!

jojo
September 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well for me when I cut from waist to bob/pixie kind of thing, I learnt I do not suit short hair as it makes my nose look big but I have every admiration for those who have the guts to cut and it looks great on them, good for you.

natorade
September 24th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I learned when i had to cut my hair to almost pixie length that I look hideously ugly with my hair cut this short. I have very bold features so I look like a boy. I have also learned that I don't look so great with long, long hair either. Chin length was my best length and I got more compliments from guys when my hair was chin length. Right now guys don't even look my way. Grow hair grow:rolleyes:

fluffybunny
September 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I learned that my wavy coarse hair forms itself into a weird sculpture as I sleep. That weird sculpture resists any attempts to smooth it except for completely wetting it down all the way to the roots. As I don't blow-fry, this means drippy wet hair on the face and collar every morning. Bangs were awful! I am a grouch in the morning and I do not want drippy hair on my forehead.

With longish hair, just a finger comb and a spritz with a spray bottle will re-shape any random sleep sculpture into an acceptable shape. Much easier and less annoying.

Oh, and I discovered that coarse hair has absolutely no motion when it's short. Thus what's supposed to be a feminine pixie actually looks like man-hair until it reaches several inches long.

DaveDecker
September 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I learned when i had to cut my hair to almost pixie length that I look hideously ugly with my hair cut this short. I have very bold features so I look like a boy. I have also learned that I don't look so great with long, long hair either. Chin length was my best length and I got more compliments from guys when my hair was chin length. Right now guys don't even look my way. Grow hair grow:rolleyes:

Not to argue, but I find that hard to believe. I think you would look great no matter what length your hair (but of course I might have a bias toward thinking you would look amazing with long hair. Hey, this is the LHC, after all). ;)