PDA

View Full Version : perming???

lembke
September 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
So What do you think is perming bad for hair or not??? I am asking because i am thinking bout getting a perm. its eaiser to do my hair but if its going to hurt the growing prosses i wont. any ideas?

Brat
September 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM
The chemicals that hold the curls can cause damage. Have you had curls before? They are pretty but require much more upkeep than straight. Plus, your roots will grow in straight, so if you want very long hair, you'll likely end up with lots of straight and curly ends...

Flynn
September 21st, 2009, 08:15 PM
Perming works by breaking all the crosslingking bonds in your hair -- that's the bonds that make hair strong, but also which determine your hair strands' "structure" (curl, waviness, etc) -- with a fairly strong reducing agent (that's a chemical like and aldehyde), then allowing them to re-form in a different configuration. It is not possible for all those bonds to re-form, particularly when you've moved the corresponding sites they are meant to reattach to, so permed hair is weakened.

(You can think of it this way. Your hair is made up of lots of lines of people, all holding on to the person next to them. That's the protein chains making up your hair. Every few people, there is one person who has one hand free, because one of the people next to them is holding on to their shirt. In a normal confuguration for your hair, every one of those people is holding hands with a person on another chain. This is a strong configuration; all the different chains are holding on to each other.

When you perm, you tell all those people holding on to hands on another chain to let go, you move everyone around, (while they're still holding hands in their individual chins) and then let them hold hands with other chains again. Many of the people originally holding hands with another chain will no longer be facing another person with a free hand. They can't grab on to the other chain at all, and the overall structure is weakened.)

If you want more curl in your texture, why not try getting heaps of moisture into your hair, and see what sort of a curl or wave pattern emerges? It might turn into exactly what you're after.