PDA

View Full Version : average length of hair sticks?

lynnala
April 18th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'm starting to make hair toys to sell, and I'm trying to figure out the most useful lengths for hair sticks and forks. Can you tell me what length of stick you prefer, and if your hair is thick, thin, how long, etc.? Right now, I prefer 'shorty' two prong forks, as my hair is very thin they are all I need.

freznow
April 18th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I can tolerate 4"; I like 5"; I prefer 6"; and I don't really mind if they're longer.

For forks, I like short (~4") better, and curved but otherwise straight prongs.

You can see my stats over on the left.

HTH and good luck making sticks!

capelli lunghi
April 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
A variety is the best bet. Going any shorter than a 3.5" usable length won't work I don't think. So, if you stay above that, it would probably be best.

AJoifulNoise
April 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
My favorite stick is a simple chopstick that I cut down to 6". It is perfect for me at the moment. Though, I have the feeling I will be out-growing it in the coming months.

My hair a little more than 4.5" in thickness.

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I prefer 4" sticks, as longer is too long for me. And thicker sticks rather than thinnies :)

khyricat
April 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I have 2 3.5" forks, I still like them in certain styles, but will not buy anymore.. I have one with a 4.5" usable lenghth, its actually too big, and the rest I have are 4" usable length and I love those... all curved slightly...

sticks- I like about 4-5" usable length still, same reason, my buns are tiny! I have thin - barely 2" at its thickest, hair.. that is BSL at 23-24" I've been able to do intricate buns since it was barely APL... but the longer sticks and forks just look huge!

Vela
April 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I like 7" hairsticks myself, anything shorter and my hair seems to fall off the stick. I don't know about hairforks, I don't own one.

Guenever
April 19th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Sticks & forks:
Usable length/prong of about 4½-5"

willowcandra
April 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM
4.5 -5 useable length in pairs for me.
I like to have some single sticks about 6 inches useable for barrette buns and chinese knots.

angelthadiva
April 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I can't do much w/a stick less than 6" (useable); I absolutely love vendors who will customize a length for their customers...I've begun seeing that recently on Ebay...My ideal length is 6.5 useable length.

I like my sicks on the thinner side; I don't like the thought of poking a tree trunk through my hair...Anything thicker than a standard pencil or pen is just too thick for me. I only have one fork, I don't wear it much, and I think the overall length is about 6.5 w/a useable length of about 5".

I'm afraid you are going to have many different responses to your questions, good luck on your business venture!

Ps. Oh, let me be the first to offer my hair as a test panel! :D

PhillyGirl1978@
April 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Wow, ok. I had no idea you guys cut down the sticks. I ordered some sticks online that are 6" they work for wet twists because they are water proof, but I prefer the ones I made out of some take-out chopsticks. I sanded them but I didn't cut them. I just measured and they are over 8". I like the ends of the stick, stick out. I painted them and they are pretty, plus my hair is pretty thick and curly.

lynnala
April 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I'm afraid you are going to have many different responses to your questions, good luck on your business venture!

Ps. Oh, let me be the first to offer my hair as a test panel! :DThat's the idea, to get as many different responses as possible. I'm already seeing a trend towards sticks, more than forks.
Thanks for the good wishes!

Leisha
April 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Most of my sticks are 7 inch. Shorter would be too short I think.

My hair is iii and used to be tailbone (about 39 inches), now it's waist-ish though (about 33 inches). But I don't think the 7 inches are too long now or anything.

AmandaPanda
April 19th, 2008, 04:35 PM
6" usable & about 7" total

lora410
April 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I sticks or any fork with atleast 4' of usable length.

eresh
April 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I have sticks variating between 5" and 8" (usable length)
The ones I use most are the 5.5" ones.
My hair is ii and kneelength and very slippery, very thin sticks will probably not hold it very well.

Eden Iris
April 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Forks: functional length of 4 inches. Sticks a bit longer, and I can use a variety of lengths: from 4.5 to 5.5 inches.

Astarte_1980
October 18th, 2010, 03:13 AM
My sticks are average 6 Inch

mira-chan
October 20th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I use 6 inch stick and minimum 5.5" usable length forks. My hair is on the thick side (on the 4" border), thigh length but very tapered fairy tale ends.

My hair buns tend to expand over time as it's coarse so I tend to need longer forks and sticks. Smooth straight sticks don't work well for me but those that spiral do.

Henrietta
October 21st, 2010, 03:41 AM
When I do my own ones, I prefer to have them about 16 cm= 6.3 inches long. The ones I buy are shorter usually. Like 13 cm= 5.11 inches.

Long_hair_bear
April 4th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I take a 6 incher usable length. :)

Venefica
April 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I have thick hair. It is sleek and razor straight. All my hair is one length save for my bangs. I have a little longer than classic hair length. I prefer around 6 inches of usable length but anything longer than 5,5 and shorter than 9 is good. I can work with both shorter and longer hairsticks than that though so I am pretty flexible in the hairstick length department.

Amber_Maiden
April 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I prefer sticks to be about 7in long, or 8in. 6in sticks are way too short for me, sadly. :( I have hip length hair which is VERY thick.
For a fork 5-6in is fine.

Sheryl
April 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM
My favourite fork is 4.5" but I use it horizontally. For vertical hair sticks I prefer 5 - 6".

pepperminttea
April 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
(It's worth pointing out this thread is several years old.)

My favourite usable length for topped sticks is 5-5.5". :)

nessa454
April 10th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I need a usable lenght of about 5'', but thats really the minimum. And for the total lenght it's a maximum lenght of 6.5'' because if the sticks are longer than this they're to big for my head and you can see it from the front (you know what I mean?)
Here (http://haartraum.jimdo.com/%C3%BCber-mich/mein-haarschmuck/) you can find all of my hairtoys, most of them with lenght and so on. Unfortunately all in cm ;)

MinderMutsig
April 10th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I start to hyperventilate a teeny tiny bit when I hear people who are at my goal length say they need 6-7-8 inches. I can't not be able to use all the pretty 5.5" sticks I made for myself. I made those 5.5" because I thought they'd last me forever! I still need to grow into them and look somewhat like a tool right now because they are still a little too big but that was OK because when my hair was at my goal, all long and pretty, then those sticks would look amazing.

Someone tell me 5.5" works for them at 41" / tailbone.