PDA

View Full Version : Has a stranger ever felt your hair?

ambychelle
September 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
So I see some really gorgeous hair on here and if I saw it in real life, I'd be tempted to steal a feel :eyebrows: (in the most innocent way of course!)

When I was a kid, I had really long hair and I can remember teachers and my mom's friends always stroking my hair and I find myself doing the same with my daughters hair.

As an adult, I'd be FREAKED out if someone tried to touch my hair. Sadly, mine isn't stroke-worthy at this point.

But I'm curious if a stranger has ever tried to stroke/pet/feel your hair in public. Did it freak you out or did you feel like it was a compliment?

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Yup. I usually have old women pet me, as though I am their cat, and they tell me its so soft and pretty. I smile and just try to pretend it doesn't bother me, since they are older women and I don't want to snap at them and cause them a heart attack :lol: I have been tempted to meow though... so now more often than not my hair is up in public. It keeps the hands out of my hair and the people from trying to convince me to cut it. (They will never win! :D )

Speckla
September 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM
I've had some elderly ladies stroke my curls and tell me how beautiful they are. It just depends on the person and why they're touching my hair. I generally don't like my hair to be touched because it messes up my curls. It's not always just about my own personal space being invade. A guy other than my husband? Oh no, I'd have to go ape crazy than because that to me is probably something sexual.

Flynn
September 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
TT^TT I got petted by an old creep on the bus stop the other day. My hair was up. He didn't strike up a conversation or anything, he just creeped too close and petted my hair! I... screamed some things my mother wouldn't like to hear me say.

My boyfriend normally waits with me for the bus in the evenings, because my bus is meant to arrive at the same time he's meant to go across for the train. The bus was coming, but running late, and was stopped at the lights, so he went. In the couple of minutes between him going and the bus arriving, Creepy Creepster took his chance. TT^TT

EdG
September 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM
That's happened to me. I was in the supermarket and this woman asks me about my hair. I replied, and then she reached out and grabbed it. :justy: No, I didn't give permission to touch my hair.
Ed

GlennaGirl
September 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
No, only children. My hair isn't long, it's not thick and it's a plain color but for some reason, I've known so many children (my own, of course, but also friends' children) who just want to grab my hair.

I let them. That's fine. They're little ones. If an adult did it, I'd be pretty taken aback.

Dars
September 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Not from strangers but from family and friends yes. They do it in a gentle nice way, I personally looooove it. It's SO relaxing. Because they don't usually ask when they do it it's an unexpected surprise and I get tingles up my back from the sensation (in a good way).

Shiva
September 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Personally I wouldn't want a stranger to touch my hair or anybody I didn't really know or trust.

My best friend is part Puerto Rican and part Dominican and she says in her culture that you should be wary of strangers touching your hair because (now don't laugh) they could be silently wishing bad mojo on your hair. I'm inclined to trust her intuition regarding this matter. Call me crazy, it's ok.

bigevilgrape
September 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I would be tempted to hurt someone if they touched my hair without permission. But I usually have my hair up so its not really an issue. (not that my hair is strokeworthy)

longgone
September 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Kids... Not a problem... My students at a foreign high school/university.... As long as they were girls it was fine... I was close with the students and it was culturally acceptable, though they often asked the first time... My friends... Okay, as long as I know they aren't getting fresh... Strangers... Not quite so acceptable if they don't ask... I'll usually say it's fine when asked as long as I'm not getting creepy vibes... Oh yeah, but not the guys when I'm taken and there is any innuendo whatsoever...

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Luckily, I've never had a stranger touch my hair. I can remember many years ago, when I was a teenager, standing in line at the art museum to see an exhibit. The woman in front of me had the most beautiful, long, silky looking hair. I literally had to tell myself DO NOT TOUCH HER HAIR!!. It was almost too much to resist. :gabigrin: :cheer: impulse control!!!

My hair does, however, get fondled on a pretty regular basis at work on wash day when I wear it down (by coworkers) I don't mind. I'm a pretty touchy-feely kind of person.

I also have two male friends who are 89 years old and they love it when my hair is down. They really seem to appreciate it.

Esperanza
September 21st, 2009, 08:12 PM
I can't remember a stranger ever touching mine, but it would make me most uncomfortable. Now family members are a different story; I know they are doing it out of admiration, and I love to be "petted" by them.

Brat
September 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Sometimes my boss (female) will play with my hair, and it freaks me OUT at first, then I get the goosebumps. My hubby will occasionally play with it, and I had one stranger touch it, but I don't really mind unless their hands are dirty or greasy looking. Just depends on the situation. I'm not used to people being in my space at all, but I do love it.

Themyst
September 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
Yes, women, mostly. One incident that comes to mind in particular was in a drug store. A middle-aged woman exclaimed loudly about how beautiful she thought my hair was, then started picking it up and looking at it! I know some people don't understand how offensive this can be, so I didn't make a fuss. It sure was embarrassing.

Shermie Girl
September 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
No. I don't allow strangers to touch me. Or my hair.

Olivia23
September 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
I was taking a class at a community college when a girl asked me how did I get my hair color. I told her about henna and the next day I hear her yell "hey henna"! She asked again the name of the website to buy it from, then she asked me could she touch my hair. I said yes because I have a hard time trying to be rude to strangers. It was a little odd and my friends were trying not to laugh. At least she said it was soft and pretty.

RedJen
September 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM
I had an older lady pull my braid at a bar one day (it was quite early in the evening.) She did compliment my hair, but I thought it was a weird thing to do.

Kotora
September 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Um...this is ugly, but when I was in high school, there was one particular girl who rode my bus who hated me. One morning, I had tossed my waist-length hair over the back of the seat and she was sitting behind me. I heard this strange sound, and when I turned around....

She had a lighter in her hand and was attempting to set my hair on fire. I quickly pulled my hair back to my side of "the fence" and I never sat anywhere near her again.

I will never forget the smell of a tiny bit of my ends smoldering.

Jeez, the things kids do in high school! It's a wonder any of us survived it.

On the other hand, it was pretty rude of me to toss my hair over the seat like that and I would never do that now, but still........:mad:

Flynn
September 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Um...this is ugly, but when I was in high school, there was one particular girl who rode my bus who hated me. One morning, I had tossed my waist-length hair over the back of the seat and she was sitting behind me. I heard this strange sound, and when I turned around....

She had a lighter in her hand and was attempting to set my hair on fire. I quickly pulled my hair back to my side of "the fence" and I never sat anywhere near her again.

I will never forget the smell of a tiny bit of my ends smoldering.

Jeez, the things kids do in high school! It's a wonder any of us survived it.

On the other hand, it was pretty rude of me to toss my hair over the seat like that and I would never do that now, but still........:mad:

Oh, gosh, I wasn't even going to mention high school. The things I got put in my hair on buses! (Although, any individual only ever did it once... if they were going to call me a [censored insulting word for a lesbian], I'd show them just how butch I could damn well be!)

I didn't have long hair for most of that time, and I'm kind of glad of it, because one of the boys schools which had a really strong and really bad bullying culture were in the habit of chopping of the girls' pony-tails. (One girls school in particular, not mine, but still,they took what they got...)

shadowclaw
September 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Not by a stranger. However, a teacher I had in high school used to love touching my hair and would tell me all the time that he wished he had a brush handy see he could brush it. Other students usually thought it was super creepy and would tell him so, but he was a long hair lover and couldn't resist, I guess. Not to mention his wife had just cut her long hair into a pixie, so he lost he primary source of long hair to admire. It never creeped me out, though. He was a cool guy, and on the older side.

Suisan
September 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Having strangers touch my hair is right up there in inappropriateness for me with having strangers pat my pregnancy belly. The one time a woman who worked in my son's school patted me on my belly I very nearly knocked her teeth in. I was really upset by it. After that some sort of karmic floodgate opened and soon strangers on the bus were asking to pat my belly. It was bizarre -- I don't try to fondle your belt buckle.

My friend has tailbone length hair and she gets petted in line at the grocery store fairly often. I don't understand this behavior at all.

bluewhiteblue
September 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
I've luckily never had this happen, and if it does I'd be rather upset, I'm sure (unless it was a kid who doesn't understand that it's not okay). As Suisan said, it's sort of like people invading a woman's space to touch her pregnant belly. Uh... still actually a part of someone's body! Not cool and not yours!

babybabycat
September 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
My husband is growing his hair, it is about shoulder length, blonde, very gorgeous. He gets more hair compliments than I do! ha ha
We were at a sandwich shop and the owner came up to my husband and touched his hair. It was slightly creepy!

bunnikins
September 22nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
You should NEVER allow strangers to touch you without your permission! There are enough creeps in this world that would be happy to curse you or something like that by touching you! I am not saying all people that want to touch hair are like that but one must be very careful!

oogie
September 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Unfortunately, I have told this tale before but to answer your question, YES.

I was standing in line to pay for gas. I had my hair down at my husband's request. I felt a tug on my hair and turned to feel a pull. The man standing behind me had grabbed a portion and was playing with it. The rest of the story is rather kind of long but this ONE experience is why I don't wear my hair down in public anymore.

ambychelle
September 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
You know, it's strange becuase NOBODY ever tried to touch my belly when I was pregnant and it actually made me kind of sad *lol*. There I was all basking in my pregnant glory and nobody else was impressed.

I look forward to being a little old lady and all "grandmotherly" so I can go around and do things that nobody else can like stroke someone's pretty curls. Little old ladies have it made! :cheese:

freckles
September 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I've had men sneak up behind me and run their fingers through my hair when I'm dancing with my friends at a club. *shudder* It's a bit scary :(

Alexannee10
September 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Friends and family, yes. But by stranger, no, never.

twolunarspring
September 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
Random elderly ladies feel my hair all the time... not as much now as they used to, but that's because I wear it down less often. I don't like it, but if they are sweet and well-meaning I put up with it. Men doing it in a pervy way, however, is dealt with by expletives and a scary glare.

frodolaughs
September 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
If it's not my family or a friend it is not okay. I don't care if you're 90, I don't care if you're 5. If you are family or a friend it depends on who you are and the situation. I'm a pretty touchy-feely person, but that doesn't mean I want you grabbing my hair or sticking your fingers in it if we aren't on a first-name basis. And yes, it's happened. Just a week ago I had a long drive and stopped in a rest stop. This lady asked if I needed help, which was nice and I told her no I was just stretching my legs. Then she complimented my hair, which was fine. Then she grabbed it. No, that is not fine. It is no more fine than grabbing any other part of me, just like it was not okay with me when I was a kid and people I didn't know patted me on the head, and just like it is not fine now if people I don't know pat me anywhere else. How do I know you aren't trying to assault me or something? Ugh.

indigonight
September 22nd, 2009, 09:59 AM
When in China a girl of about my age asked if she could feel my hair, I said yes if I could feel hers. I could understand why she wanted to as she had never left the country and was intrigued by my wavy soft-looking hair. Chinese hair is very hard and wiry by comparison. Hers was thick and almost hard feeling.
She thought I'd had a perm to make my hair wavy -it is now popular in China to do that- but I explain to her that it was natural. She was astounded by how soft my hair is.

I have had similar experiences in the depths of rural Africa where women cant grow their hair in anything but a fro as they dont yet relax their hair or add fake hair.

I understand people wishing to touch out of curiosity and if they ask permission and touch with clean hands anything else and they better watch out I dont roundhouse kick them!

twolunarspring
September 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have had similar experiences in the depths of rural Africa where women cant grow their hair in anything but a fro as they dont yet relax their hair or add fake hair.

Yes, a friend of mine lived and worked in Ghana for a while with tailbone-length wavy, silky blonde hair... she wore it up constantly, because if she wore it down the reactions were divided roughly 50/50 between children bursting into tears because they thought she was a witch and random people coming up and grabbing handfuls, speaking to each other about it in Ewe as though she were a museum exhibit.

She chose not to stay there in the end, but she said if she *had* chosen to relocate more permanently she'd have had to cut it all off.

wolf girl
September 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
As long as they don't have :scissors: in their other hand, I'm ok with it. shudder:

Seriously though, as long as they ask first, it doesn't bother me.

missfortune9335
September 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
TT^TT I got petted by an old creep on the bus stop the other day. My hair was up. He didn't strike up a conversation or anything, he just creeped too close and petted my hair! I... screamed some things my mother wouldn't like to hear me say.

My boyfriend normally waits with me for the bus in the evenings, because my bus is meant to arrive at the same time he's meant to go across for the train. The bus was coming, but running late, and was stopped at the lights, so he went. In the couple of minutes between him going and the bus arriving, Creepy Creepster took his chance. TT^TT

*gah!!* what is wrong with people??

Darkhorse1
September 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Yep, but most people who do this are people I know. And only at the barn. One mum who'd never seen my hair down plunged her fingers into it and offered to braid it for me (I was teaching her daughter and the family was just so lovely!! Very kind people), and another teacher, who had equally gorgeous long locks did the same! She plunged her fingers into it one day when I hadn't tied it back yet, and I was shocked that she complimented me on mine, when hers was just as nice! (She wasn't the kind of person I thought noticed things like that).

In regards to strangers, the only hands who have touched my hair are wee ones who can't figure out 'who's hair is that'. Tehehehe. I don't mind. I think it's really cute.

ademtce
September 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
this happens all the time to, at first it used to be weird now I'm used to it.

Anje
September 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I haven't had strangers come up to touch my hair, though I've gotten plenty of little old ladies raving about how wonderful the color is.

In my experience, it's the people who have their hair clipped down to 1/2 inch or less who get their heads touched by strangers all the time. I've had several shaved friends complain about it.

TammySue
September 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yup! Years ago a stranger in a drugstore pulled on my hair and she said "Is that a wig?" :bigeyes:

pradabacon
September 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
I've had strangers and semi-strangers (like people who work at a store I go to all the time) touch my hair. It's most commonly very young kids or older ladies who are inclined to do it (as some of you have mentioned), but I've had others do it as well.

I don't like to be touched in general, but for some reason, when people touch my hair, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I take it as a compliment. :shrug:

wolf girl
September 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Yup! Years ago a stranger in a drugstore pulled on my hair and she said "Is that a wig?" :bigeyes:

I wonder what she would have done if said person was actually wearing a wig and it came off in her hand??:rolleyes:

KarpatiiSiv
September 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
One of the places where I worked had an elderly handyman who came in from time to time and if I had my hair down he always stroked it (very gently), so I took this as a compliment. He once said that in his opinion all women should have long hair. I don't normally feel comfortable with a stranger touching my hair but he was very sweet so it didn't bother me.

JamieLeigh
September 22nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
I've seen so many people leave a public washroom without washing their hands, or even so much as glancing in the direction of the sink, which has COMPLETELY put me off of using a public bathroom and allowing any foreign hands in my hair. If it's someone I know, I'm usually ok with it - but random strangers....NUH-uh. :tmi:

Aer
September 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
I don't like to be touched at all. Except by family. But yes I have had this happen, I don't really care though.

rchorr
September 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
When I was in college, I was standing in line someplace with my friends, when I felt my hair lifted up a bit. This older guy (who I did NOT know) was playing with my hair. My creep meter went off the charts! My friends were willing to trade places with me to guard my back.

I don't mind so much when it's someone I know, but this guy just gave me the heebie-jeebies!

RCHORR'

Redheaded Raven
September 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Yes I have had this happen to me. I have had people yank it, use it as reins, try to cut it of and lots more :rolleyes: some people grrrr

Alia
September 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I just have one random bun-squeezer :roll:. Most people give me a decently wide berth...I must have a look that says Don't Mess With Me (or you will soon die.).

Princess Fair
September 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
I was out grocery shopping with my mother once (when I was a young teen) and this very tall and thick woman grabbed my entire loose bun. She was telling me that I had such pretty hair, that I should sell her my hair, exclaiming that there was a lot of it. I hunched up my shoulders, pulled away slowly, and ran over to my mother.

Shadow Walker
September 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Happened to me last night actually, at a concert my band was playing. I was standing there talking to one of my guitarists and this chick walks behind me and decides to steal a feel and brushes her fingers through my hair. When I turned around to see who it was she smiled at me and said "sorry!", and kept walking, and I smiled back. I didn't mind of course, it's rare for anyone to say anything about my hair let alone touch it. Later in the night she decided to walk behind me again and steal another feel, but in a different way, haha. :eyebrows:

aada
September 23rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
Happened to me last night actually, at a concert my band was playing. I was standing there talking to one of my guitarists and this chick walks behind me and decides to steal a feel and brushes her fingers through my hair.

I am very very guilty of this. haha. music+hair=heaven. ;) Luckily, I usually know the musicians, so it's far less creepy.

pradabacon
September 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Happened to me last night actually, at a concert my band was playing. I was standing there talking to one of my guitarists and this chick walks behind me and decides to steal a feel and brushes her fingers through my hair. When I turned around to see who it was she smiled at me and said "sorry!", and kept walking, and I smiled back. I didn't mind of course, it's rare for anyone to say anything about my hair let alone touch it. Later in the night she decided to walk behind me again and steal another feel, but in a different way, haha. :eyebrows:

Aha! So it is a compliment! :D Did you get her number? :cheese:

Shadow Walker
September 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Aha! So it is a compliment! :D Did you get her number? :cheese:
Unfortunately no, she disappeared into the crowd and I didn't see her after that.

nowxisxforever
September 23rd, 2009, 04:27 PM
My coworkers and I are pretty touchy, so sometimes they will play with it, but I also have ... "hair-dressing rights" with most of my coworkers who have BSL or longer hair. One of my coworkers likes me to put her hair up at work since it gives her some variety from her standard messy-claw-clip-bun or down. A couple will have me braid their hair.

So far as non-coworkers? No, not really-- I keep my hair up in public for my hair's safety to begin with.

Fizz
September 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
I work on a medical hospital ward, and patients touch my hair all the time! It's mainly the older ladies, and most of them ask first, so I don't really mind.
I DO hate it when co-workers creep up behind me and pull hard on my plait.. usually giving me awful neck pain.:mad:
They often get a mouthful of abuse from me though!

burns_erin
September 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Mostly kids, particularly special needs kids. Autsim spectrum and deaf kids that have not learned social skills yet.

bigmama8
September 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Usually it's older women that touch my hair. Most of the time they speak to me first about liking my length though, so it's not a problem to me. Sometimes in church, if I wear it down, young children will grab at it. I usually pull it around to the front away from them. I've had too many tangles from my own kids when they were young.

Flynn
September 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM
*gah!!* what is wrong with people??

At least it was only my hair...

kmoc123
September 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
My teacher does sometimes...I really don't mind. Wish MY GUY would more often!! I just don't like people to pull on it...

GlennaGirl
September 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Mostly kids, particularly special needs kids. Autsim spectrum and deaf kids that have not learned social skills yet.

So interesting you should say that--my middle son (age six) has autism and honestly, he would be allllllll over your hair. :p He'd just be twining his fingers in it.

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, women, mostly. One incident that comes to mind in particular was in a drug store. A middle-aged woman exclaimed loudly about how beautiful she thought my hair was, then started picking it up and looking at it! I know some people don't understand how offensive this can be, so I didn't make a fuss. It sure was embarrassing.

This is exactly what happened to me earlier in the summer this year as a hotdog shop. This older woman was just throwing a fit, and started grabbing my hair by the handful. She was so loud, and drew so much attention to me, I was really embarrassed. Her grabbing at my hair the way she had did bother me a bit.

I don't mind if people touch my hair if they ask and it's not loud and boisterous. I especially like for people to play with my hair, for example in high school a girl in my Anatomy and Physiology class played with my hair nearly every day after lessons. She would put all these little mini braids in it, and since we got to know each other in class I didn't mind. I also love for my family members to play with my hair. Complete strangers though? Kinda bothers me.

vindo
September 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
A waitress was recently really touchy about my hair, she was speaking to my husband in spanish while she was stroking my hair like I was a cat from top to waist..she also felt my ends but many people grab them because they want to check if they feel dry or anything I guess.

I felt uncomfortable but because the lady was nice I stood quiet, she was from Madrid and it was interesting talking about Spain, have been there a lot.

wolf girl
September 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM
My coworkers and I are pretty touchy, so sometimes they will play with it,...

I have the same thing happen to me. Almost on a daily basis I have a coworker pet me and tell me how pretty my hair is. Actually, since I 'know' them it doesn't bother me. It really makes me feel good.:D

Emichiee

I hope I don't embarass you but you are such a beautiful girl!!! Love your hair too! :sun:

burns_erin
September 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I wonder what she would have done if said person was actually wearing a wig and it came off in her hand??:rolleyes:

That happened to my mom's old boss, she was having chemo and had no hair, man was the lady who did it embarrassed, but at the time, my mom's old boss thought it was kind of hilarious (not the wig coming off but the other woman's chagrin).

burns_erin
September 24th, 2009, 12:59 PM
So interesting you should say that--my middle son (age six) has autism and honestly, he would be allllllll over your hair. :p He'd just be twining his fingers in it.

I work in and audiology/speech path clinic, and am also the educational audiologist who goes out to the schools, so it happens rather regularly. My only rule is we must sanitize our hands first.

marzipanthecat
September 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Yes - I get this frequently! I've never had anyone touch my hair without asking first, though.

The last time this happened was yesterday. I was in the library and a lady noticed my hair and said some really nice things, and then asked if she could touch it - and then I got a ton more compliments, she was amazed at how soft my hair was (I think my hair is pretty ordinary to touch, but she seemed happy!).

I really don't mind the attention!

82exoticbeauty
September 24th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Well . . . it was since 2007, sometimes at work and at stores! But not that much strangers touching my hair when it was classic length! maybe a few of them! But I don't want them to touch it unless if they ask permission to know it's real hair! I don't want them to tug it hard, that's a bad idea! So I just say, I only want my boyfriend, my families and relatives to touch my hair, but an option to those strangers who wants to touch my hair! I just take it by compliment!

Amara
September 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Ew. No, they haven't, which is good for them... I would probably deck them. Ew. Squick.

Dementia1013
September 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM
All the time actually. I don't mind. The look on their face when they realize that it's NOT a wig is priceless:D

Misery
September 25th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Lots of drunk people at parties. They've all been very gentle though, thankfully.

Wicked Princess
September 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Yes, I have had people do this, fairly often, and they have done this since I was a child. I've always had longer hair (it's varied between waist and hip, until recently when I've decided to strive to fantastic lengths) - when I was younger, all the girls at school would want to play with it. They even got into fights over who would get to play with it. I don't recall minding it back then.

Now that I am older, I really DO mind! Most of the time, people ask very politely, their faces red, if they can touch it. Most of the time, I refuse, simply stating that I don't like to be touched.

I do have my one horror story: I was in a store browsing for scarves and there was a woman who was being horribly loud on her cell phone. Even the store employees were giving her nasty looks, but no one approached her. Anyway, she eventually passed by me and GRABBED my hair, and started talking about it over the phone as if I wasn't even there! She pulled hard enough to hurt me - not bad, but I did feel it. I turned around and Maced her.

I don't fear people touching my hair if it is down, but I do keep my hair in updos every day now. It's much safer for my hair and draws less attention (unless I do a particularly intricate updo or have a very noticeable hair toy in).

levelek
September 25th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Men at parties who thought themselves really seductive for coming up with lines like "Is this all yours?" :rolleyes: It doesn't happen often though. (I don't go to parties often, either.)

I don't think I would mind it if curious, sane and clean people asked to touch my hair. I positively like it if friends want to pet me or play with my hair.

GlassEyes
September 25th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Yep, but it was someone I knew from class, so I was more annoyed because I thought she was a space-invading jackass who I disliked for other reasons rather than a stranger touching my hair.

Thinking on it, it would bother me, but more if the person was unbathed, or something. It'd only mildly annoy me. I love it when my friends touch my hair though. :o And as far as being tempted to touch someone's hair, I'd never do that to a stranger. It's too much an invasion of space, and for that matter, I don't think I'd touch a stranger period unless it was an accident or otherwise.

I have, however, been known to do the evil thing of stealing my friend's hairties, male or female.:D I'm a baaaaaaad person. I'm surprised they haven't ripped out my hairsticks yet--though I do it less now that I'm an LHC member. I never used to think anything of it before. xD;

Mutinous
September 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I had a girl last night who was in my flat (apparently a mate of my flat mate bf, but I digress) and she has afro-textured hair (which had been relaxed) and she couldn't stop playing with my hair. I didn't mind really, but it was a bit strange!

Ravenwaves 88
October 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I don't know if this counts but this weekend I went to a haunted harbor (makeshift harbor) and the actors/creepy things were touching ppl. This one guy that came out of his cage was calling me pretty and follwing me while stroking/ petting my hair and back saying "So pretty, so pretty.." THis was all fine and all but he was starting to follow us out and the hair touching started to get so uncomfortable I had to say..."Ok Dude....you can stop touching my hair."

So bizarre! It was my first time getting hair fondled by a stranger.

BeautifulBella
October 25th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I'm a black girl with mid-back length (not something I've seen very often around here) I get lots of stares but mostly people who don't know me think its fake... I would freak out if somebody touched my hair for fear of voodoo!!! alot of people dont know how to grow their hair so I would think they are jealous & trying to do something crazy..... lol just my paranoia...

StarryNight
October 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I went to a friend's wedding a couple of years ago and was sat next to a woman I had only met a few times. She put her hand on my leg and started petting my hair like we were together! She kept talking about how soft and beautiful it was and I didn't want to cause a scene because they were in the middle of the ceremony, but the second the wedding was over my butt was out of that seat and putting my BF between us. SO CREEPY.

gizelle
October 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I don't let strangers touch me. I am fine with my friends, but if a stranger touches me without permission there is politely delivered hostility.

GRU
October 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I get little old ladies touching my hair ALL. THE. TIME. It doesn't bother me b/c I take it as the compliment that they intend, and they're always very gentle -- like they're caressing a newborn baby or something.

If it were a guy of any age over about 8yo (other than the developmentally disabled), though, I'd deliver a redheaded shrill, "Excuse me, but what in the Sam Hill makes you think you can touch me like that?!?!?!" It's never happened, though... always little old ladies caressing it in awe.

akuamoonmaui
October 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I went to a friend's wedding a couple of years ago and was sat next to a woman I had only met a few times. She put her hand on my leg and started petting my hair like we were together! She kept talking about how soft and beautiful it was and I didn't want to cause a scene because they were in the middle of the ceremony, but the second the wedding was over my butt was out of that seat and putting my BF between us. SO CREEPY.

Eww. She definitely invaded your personal bubble!

I had a stranger touch my hair. It was a compliment, but it took me aback at first. My hair was down and I was at work. This customer is very friendly and not from the US originally, so I think between her natural personality and the country she was from, it was very natural for her to touch (my) hair.

She reached out and said, "Oh! Your hair is so beaut-ee-ful!" At first I was startled because I was at work and wasn't expecting that, but then I realized what she did and that it was a genuine compliment. I said thank you of course. I think she realized she created an awkward moment, but I tried to make her feel more at ease because she is a sweet, caring lady and I felt kind of bad that I made her uncomfortable with my reaction.

StarryNight
October 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
GRU - LOLOL, at least they are gentle!

AKUAMOONMAUI - Ugh, her hands were all sweaty and dirty! It makes me shiver thinking about it again.

Regan
October 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM
doesn't bother me at all if they're not dirty, creepy, perverted and/or rough.

CaitSith
October 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
It's happened a couple of times, though I suspect it's more because of the fact that my hair is insanely thick. People genuinely seemed curious and not at all "herp derp, I'm a pervert", so I wasn't bothered and let them.

WinterInBloom
October 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
When I was younger and had TBL hair people touch my hair all the time. Mostly people I knew at school, but when it was strangers it was mostly older women. At school girls would want to play with it during class, braid it and such. Some of the boys thought it was funny to grab my braids and use them like reins, or fashion me a noose out of my own hair.:p

I cut off my hair and then regrew it until it was about an inch or so longer than it is now (then I cut it again, but that's beside the point), and the hair touching started happening again. Only occasionally would a complete stranger come up and touch my hair, but it always seemed in admiration and not in a creepy way.

I've had a lot of men want to touch my hair, but only one has ever touched it in a creepy way (and it wasn't even long at the time!:mad:). It happened mostly with friends, I'd just be talking to them about something and start to notice that they weren't looking me in the eye and kind of had a far away look. I'd be trying to figure out what was going on: Is he staring at my chest? No. Hmmm, then what in the world are they staring at....? Then they'd just reach out grab a handful of hair to pet, like Aladdin unable to resist grabbing the lamp. I think some people just go into a hair trance and can't help touching long pretty hair!:laugh:

Right now I'm even more sensitive than normal about people touching me, as I've spent so much time at home and not often around anyone but my husband and son. Since my hair was only an inch or so longer than it is now the last time people felt the need to touch it, I'm worried I don't have long before it starts happening again. I don't know how creeped out I'm going to be or how I'll react.:draw:

LouLaLa
October 26th, 2010, 04:28 AM
In the past I had alot of people want to brush my hair and play with it like i was a dress up doll, I didnt mind though as often I got some cool hairstyles out of it and it was high school so it was normal- my hair was about hip then.

As I get older I dont like people touching as they do it in disbeleif or think my hair is dyed etc and want to "prove" its fake which it isnt sigh.

I think if it was a good mate I wouldnt mind at all as some of my friends are hair whizz kids and its a treat to get your hair done especially for free :p I even got free hair cuts and styles as my hairdresser loved my hair do much as ususally she was doing short hair and perms.

Creepy people freak me out though, especially people who just grab it, Im hoping when it gets really long people will respectfully not touch. I also hate getting told to cut it for a certain organization!

Barniie
October 26th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Once I was waiting in line in macdonalds, and some random guy like stroked my ponytail then said 'It feels like my daughters' or something along those lines. Needless to say my friends older sister was very quick to say 'Thankyou' and then proceed to run out of the store as fast as she could. :)

bluesnowflake
October 26th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I had a guy at school come up and try to pet my hair- however he's a creep and I don't like strangers touching my hair, so I told him off and was quite tempted to slap him. I was thinking "Um.. you don't just come up and start feeling my hair-especially without asking!" I might be a little paranoid about this because I once had someone try to cut my hair by force.

KittyLost
October 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM
When I had my rainbow fringe I was serving a lady at work and about to hand her her change when she reached forward and stroked my fringe and said it was a nice rainbow.

It freaked me out a little, I felt a little uncomfortable.

young&reckless
October 27th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I was at the pub with my new bf the other day and a friend of mine (who he had not met yet) came over and started playing with my hair. Thsi happens to be all the time and since he is my friend it doen't bother me at all but I thought for a second that my bf was going to clock the guy.

BritishBraider
October 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
In Freshers week at uni everything was very busy, and people would tug at my plait to get my attention. They got curt replies. Tis a shame that I cant wear a long braid out now without thinking someone might pull it.....jeesh.....

Bene
October 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Not that I know of and I hope it never happens :bigeyes:

I'd be brought up on assault charges, and I'm not tough enough to survive a night in jail :(

RachelRain
October 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Just happened the other night, actually, at my brother's house. His friend's girlfriend had never seen hair this long and just *had* to touch it. Luckily, I'd had a few shots of tequila, so I didn't throw an elbow when I felt my hair move. I did warn her, though, not to touch without asking if I'm not drinking.

Surprisingly, very few people tug my braids... my brother does, and my boyfriend, and occasionally my boyfriend's brother, but usually he only tugs it if I accidentally whacked him in the face with it, so I let it slide since I probably deserve it and it doesn't really hurt.

ddiana1979
October 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Ugh. I have a very large zone of personal space. I'm not touchy-feely AT ALL. If someone touched my hair without asking (other than a small child or a *really old* woman) I'd be extremely upset & feel as if my privacy were invaded.