PDA

View Full Version : Styling each other's hair :)

Pburgh56
September 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Im a guy growing waist length hair and I absolutely cannot wait until it is at least shoulder length for a ponytail. I have already had a couple of girls ask me if they could braid it/style it for me when its long and I gladly agreed. I have no problem with this and am actually excited for them to do it, likewise I have no problem styling theres for them if they would want me too :) I was just wondering guys and girls, do you like when other people style your hair and do you like styling other's regardless of gender? Thanks :)

GlassEyes
September 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't mind it, but my hair is really quite impossible to deal with if it's dry, so no one really offers. xD;

Citrine
September 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
I routinely ask long-haired friends to let me play with their hair. They are happy enough to sit through the brushing and braiding, and don't mind me tugging on their (beautiful) locks. I have to admit there are times that I just want someone to braid my hair for once, but few of my friends are in the habit of putting up their long hair or styling it in different braids. :shrug: What can you do?

Pburgh56
September 21st, 2009, 08:00 PM
Glass Eyes I would def do your hair Im sure we could figure out something. Citirine I would love to do your hair and Im sure you could do mine. Its a shame nobody would do yours for you. Id love for you to sit there and I can brush, ponytail, buns, and I can braid (regular, french, and rope) what do you think?

Wanderer09
September 21st, 2009, 08:06 PM
I braid my boyfriend's hair sometimes, though it's only shoulder length, and very thick and slippery...so it's hard to get it in any sort of style. I've offered to teach him how to braid but he's not interested. :p

bigevilgrape
September 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I swear that I'm gonna teach my boyfriend to braid my hair, but he doesn't really want to :-P

I really don't like other people playing with my hair. I think it stems from having a mother who was a bit harsh with the detangling when I was young.

sally_neuf
September 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Ohh! My older sister has super super slippery BSL and I braid her and style her ALL THE TIME !! (and it's impossible all braids look so lose) In fact, I bug her so much that the other day I walked into her room, my hand full of elastic bands, a big smile and she was like.. holding her hair, hiding it and practically beggin "Noo pweeease!!! nooo moore :( "

I just tell her it's temporally, while my chin-neck hair its avaible for braiding

Pburgh56
September 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I love to get my hair braided. LIke even at the length it is now I love to sit there and get little braids put in it or get it brushed so if any girls are interested let me know ;). Im lucky in that I have alot of good girlfriends who love hair and taught me how to braid :) Im getting better at it too.

RancheroTheBee
September 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I love having my hair styled. In fact, the next trim I have will be a professional one because I miss having the feeling of someone else doing it for me. I wanted to teach my boyfriend to braid my hair, but I don't think his enormous hands will ever be as deft as my mother's. She can get any amount of hair into a braid. Hey, that gives me a good idea... :p

Teacherbear
September 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
No, I really don't care to have people style my hair and I have only braided someone else's hair a few times in my life. I don't really like it when people brush/comb my hair. But a scalp massage . . . . now THAT I'd let someone do! :floats away on a cloud:

Pburgh56
September 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Moms do know how to braid really good. I cannot wait for my mom to braid mine :) and I love scalp massages too. They feel amazing.

viking_quest
September 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Nobody touches my hair. I can style it very nicely myself. Now other people, I love styling their hair but it seems weird to ask anybody to let me do it except for my mom.

KaasKnot
September 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
My mother can't braid. Of course, she's always had short hair, so no big surprise. My grandmother is pretty good, though she never could really figure out the French braid. I didn't mind much, I like having my hair played with. :cloud9:

Ina
September 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
I like to style other peoples hair if they want me to:D. I am always doing it with my sister`s hair.
When I had hip lenght sometimes people asked to braid my hair too.

Rivanariko
September 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
I love having other people play with my hair, as long as they follow my rules, lol. I've had a few people that are pretty rough because they're used to coarser or thicker hair, and they don't really know what to do with ultra-fine hair. Breaks so easily. Especially since I won't let them put hair spray in it... lol.

It's one of the things I miss most about having my hair trimmed by a professional. I loved my hairstylist when I was younger and we got along great. She listened to what I wanted and didn't try to talk me into anything I didn't. I love having her wash my hair though... felt so good.
The reason I don't get my hair professionally trimmed/styled anymore has less to do with not trusting the stylist and more to do with my empty wallet. :-P

I'm getting better at styling other people's hair. I helped with a friend of mine's hair for her wedding a little bit ago. I did the braiding, while another friend did the more artistic parts of the styling, pinning things up and putting in the decorations. I haven't quite figured that part out yet on myself or someone else, but I can braid!

freecelt
September 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
I like having my hair styled. It used to bug me but now it's like a mini vacation ;P . I used to do other people's hair more than I do now. I think I kind of stopped when I didn't care for it either because I thought the feeling was mutual. Now I just do it if someone asks.

Quixii
September 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
I generally don't like people touching my hair. It's just invading my bubble, I guess. If I've given them permission, I'll deal with it, though not usually enjoy it.
On the flip side, I love playing with other people's hair. I do make sure they're okay with it first, though. Usually. :)

Flynn
September 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
Back in high school, absolutely yes! All the time! Particularly my hair... (Short, fluffy, wax-laden and very sculptable... A real novelty when just about everyone else was APL+, and only one other girl in the school was really shorthaired... I had some real art made with my hair!) I'd had long, thick, tangly, hard-to-manage hair before that, so I could definitely handle longer hair, and people liked the favour returned. ^__^

One of the best friends from high school of my boyfriend insists on french braiding his hair whenever she sees him. He's quite tolerant of this. I don't usually style his hair. I more marvel at the curliness and ask him to leave it out. XD

ETA: Normally, I hate people touching my hair, but this is a context where permission was asked and either given or denied, and I was fine with it.

Madame J
September 22nd, 2009, 06:07 AM
No, I really don't care to have people style my hair and I have only braided someone else's hair a few times in my life. I don't really like it when people brush/comb my hair. But a scalp massage . . . . now THAT I'd let someone do! :floats away on a cloud:

Ooooh, yeah! In college I had two male friends who decided they were going to see who could give the best scalp massage and chose me as the judge..... Needless to say, several rounds were required before I could give an accurate judgment :eyebrows:

I had a male friend in high school with mid-back-length blond hair who said that having someone play with his hair was one of the most sensual experiences to him. He frequently came to class with French braids, or braided pigtails, done by some girl in the class before.

Little_Bird
September 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
I love when people style my hair, but usually noone would want to touch it because they know how I care for it :p

As for styling other people's hair, it's one of my favorite things to do! I've had quite a lot of people asking me to style their hair actually. I'd even like to do it professionally if I had a chance... It's something I really liked doing since I was a little kid :D

Finoriel
September 22nd, 2009, 06:48 AM
No I donīt let people style my hair, nor would I enjoy it. Out of various reasons. I brush my teeth myself and Iīm also capable to visit the toilet without someone to assist. Thank you very much I can do my hair without help, too. :p The idea of letting someone else do my personal grooming just seems very odd to me. Iīd be really irritated if someone would try to do that to me and Iīm glad no one offered to do that yet. "Hey, can I brush your teeth? :eyebrows:" "Huh? Heck, no!:run:"
Most people around me do not have any idea about how to handle long hair anyways - styling attempts on my hair would surely end with knots, ripped out hairs and a less than pretty style.
On rare occasions I teach people how to braid or do updos, but thatīs not because I enjoy doing other peopleīs hair - itīs to educate them and keep old techniques alive. (Which sadly seem almost forgotten in my part of the world.) Even that is mostly done on my own head of hair to show that itīs possible to do that styles without an own maid to help with dressing and hair :lol:.
Cultural differences I guess. I also find it highly uncomfortable and rude, if people come too close when talking to me. :shrug:

Pburgh56
September 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Madame J your right. I totally agree with your friend. The feeling of having somebody do your hair is amazing:) I love when people want to brush mine now or even put little braids or ponytials in it. I cannot wait until it is really long :)
Little Bird I would love to style your hair for you or even brush it. It would be like a dream come true your a hair inspiration :) Id love to have you style mine too. any ideas?

JamieLeigh
September 23rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I love playing with my best friend's hair. His is mid-back and he's got it long on top, but shaved on the sides and in back. (Think Vaako from Chronicles of Riddick) I love braiding his hair. :D

Lemur_Catta
September 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I love to style other people's hair. My sister often asks me to braid her hair before tkd practice, and I like braiding and styling my male friends's hair.

On the other hand, I don't like when people try to style my hair :D It depends on the person, really. I let my boyfriend use the Ez bun on me, but it has to be someone I really trust.

Yesterday for example I was studying with some school mates, and I was wearing a Chinese bun, but my hair started to slip from the bun so I had to redo it. Instead of a bun, I made a Dutch braid, because I thought it would be more comfortable.
When I had finished braiding near my scalp, and was braiding the length, this friend of mine, the only girl I was studying with - the other were boys - came behind me and asked if she could continue the braid, since she really like braiding. She was very gentle with my hair, and asked me to make a Dutch braid on herself someday (not yesterday, she thought her hair was too dirty :D it was in a ponytail)
This was very sweet. The only problem was that she could not stop touching my braid :D and I didn't want to tell her that I didn't like it, after what she had done. So I decided to wear a bun today when I went to the exam (she had her exam this morning too) :D

Anje
September 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
People rarely get to touch my hair, and that's fine by me. Lots of them don't know what they're doing and start pulling and breaking it anyway.

I like to do other people's hair, though, and it's not unusual for girls to come to me asking for braids. several friends would regularly have me do 4-8 big fat cornrows in their hair, which they found much cooler in summer, compared to wearing it loose. Recently did a crown braid on a member of my brother's wedding party, so she wouldn't have to go to a stylist, and I'm quite proud of how it turned out (http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nf0RAMs19NY/SqCFMsBgEzI/AAAAAAAAPfE/2YaTouVRnc4/s720/steven%20and%20jessica-227.jpg)! (Yes, that's a light saber... It was a fun wedding!)

linda g
September 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Now I am nostalgic. I remember how nice and soothing it was when my mom and my sister would brush or style my hair for me. Whenever I would go to get my hair cut, the best part is having someone else wash and style my hair. (I haven't gone in a while) So relaxing!

Maybe I need to teach my husband how to style hair!

JaneinMarch
September 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
My mom did my hair until I was about 13 and only now do I really appreciate what a wonderful job she did. I am tenderheaded so there were plenty painful moments and screams and fussing on both sides. We can laugh about that now, and I get to watch my sister go through it as well.

My mom was the main person who styled my hair, most other people didn't know what to do with it. Getting my hair cut the second time around was nice, it always feels great to get it washed at the salon. The last time I got it cut it was about 3 1/2 inches long and I just wanted it down to 2 inches, but the woman cutting took about an hour just to cut and I was near bald when she finished. She used scissors for the whole thing - I think it was slow in the salon and she wanted a good tip.

;)

JamieRose
September 23rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
I love having people play with my hair... so long as it is extremely gentle! And scalp massages are always welcome. They always feel about a thousand times better when someone else does them. I still like to do them myself, however.

Pburgh56
September 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I love playing with my best friend's hair. His is mid-back and he's got it long on top, but shaved on the sides and in back. (Think Vaako from Chronicles of Riddick) I love braiding his hair. :D

Jamie you konw I would love to have you braid my hair for me :)

nowxisxforever
September 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
I get asked to style others' long hair frequently... usually braids...but I'll volunteer a bun now and again, especially if I think their hair is *beautiful*!

Sometimes people will play with mine.