PDA

View Full Version : Oh, please help!

kal32205
September 21st, 2009, 03:28 PM
I am sure no one will remember me but I used to go by the sn Kal32205..... I lost m log in info etc and just haven't posted in like well over 2 years. Anywho. When I started in this community I decided to hack my hair off to my ears due to major overprocessing. I vowed never to do a single thing to my hair again. After a year, I failed and went crazy...... As it stands, it is now bsl but in many layers that just grow sooooo slow. So...... for the past several months my hair has been falling out like crazy- it's all over my house. My hair line is NOTICEABLY thinner. I have started getting grey hairs in my crown area. It's sooo thin. My ponytail is about half the thickness it used to be. I don't know how to describe my hair type but it's fine and full- make sense? It's naturally curly/wavy and under normal circumstances I have alot of it. Not anymore. I am running out of ideas on how to salvage it before I end up just cutting it all off again. It's so thin it doesn't look right down becase you can totally see through it but it doesn't look right up because you can see my scalp in spots. Also. I have a thin layer of new hairs allover my head. They are the texture of a baby's hair and are about 2.5 inches long. Like, when I put my hair up I can run a brush over my hairline and pull an entire layer of new hairs down, there's so much it looks like I actually cut it that way- and they are allover my head...... no matter where I part my hair, there they are sticking straight out. Is any of this normal? I am only 25!

DragonLady
September 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like a whole bunch of your hairs hit their terminal length and fell out, and now they're being replaced by new growth.

Lamb
September 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Have you seen a doctor about this?

friskybiznus
September 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM
I think I'd see a doctor, too.

Amraann
September 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Could be a vitamin deficiency? Maybe your not eating as well as you should? Drinking enough water?

Under a lot of stress?

ambychelle
September 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Wish I had advice to offer besides what's already been said.

But, until you've ruled out things like thyroid problems, you need to assume that it's a sign of something else going on. Go to your GP and tell him/her you are losing a lot of hair and you are worried. I did and mine ran basic bloodwork for thyroid, a white blood cell count, liver and kidney function, iron, lupus markers etc.

My hair is shedding what seems like a lot lately too. The good news is, we have regrowth. My bloodwork came back all normal so I'm just trying to ride this out and hopefully it'll go away on it's own. But I'm really glad I got the bloodwork done just for peace of mind that there's not a bigger issue.

I know at 25, I was totally burning the candle at both ends with friends, parties, drinking, smoking, and just generally not being nice to my body. If that's you too, well, there's an obvious place to start making changes.

But get to the doctor and rule out anemia and thyroid problems ASAP! It's quick and easy so just go do it. If that all comes back normal, you can start working on some supplements and haircare changes etc. But if it's your thyroid or severe anemia, you'll need your doctors help treating it.

Teacherbear
September 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
I am sure no one will remember me but I used to go by the sn Kal32205..... I lost m log in info etc and just haven't posted in like well over 2 years.

Someone will be in contact with you regarding this. :flowers:

BlackfootHair
September 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
I would also recommend seeing a doctor. When things in the body start going awry, it's usually a good indicator of something else. I'm sure it's something small that is easily fixed. The sooner you visit the Dr. the sooner you can get your hair back to normal! :D

Aer
September 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM
I go with the majority here, and say go to a doctor. It may not be anything serious, and probably isn't anything truly horrible, but the condition of your hair and skin are indicators usually on how your health is doing.It could be a nutritional or vitamin deficiency, but even something like that may need to be checked on my a doctor. After you figure out whats going on, I'm sure you'll have awesome hair in no time.

kal32205
September 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
Thank all of you for the advice- I was actually hoping to hear it's totally normal and everyone goes through this LOL. But I am thinking I ma have a thyroid problem, as it runs in the family:( I will call the Dr today.

If this is the case- does anyone know if my hair will stay thin or will it regain it's thickness? My Dad has a thyroid problem and his hair started thinning in his late 20's and never grew back so I am really worried this could be the case with me......

aries
September 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Hi Kal, sorry to hear you are going through this. I am hypothyroid and after several years, finally got it under control (most people get theirs under control much faster). I found a ton of hair fall happened before it got under control. As time went on the fall out became less and now I am back to normal fall out. I have a ton of new growth coming in which is about 6 inches long right now. It's going to take is a bit to catch up with the rest of my hair but patience is always good with thyroid.

This can be scarey to deal with, I know I was terrified I was going bald and wouldn't have any hair left. Please get your blood work done especially since thyroid problems run in your family. I also used Nioxin products for a while, not sure if it helped (I think it did) but it sure made my hair feel nice.

Hope this gives some help and reassurance.

embee
September 22nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, get your thyroid checked. If that's the problem there are well known (and I think not expensive) fixes.

Don't judge your hair by your dad's. You're not the same.