PDA

View Full Version : Hair for Basic Training

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
I go down for my medical exam this weekend for the Air Force even though I won't be able to start until early next year. Here's my dilema. What do I do with my hair. It has to be kept above my collar in the back so I need a way to put it up, quickly and efficiently, in a way that it won't come out while excercising. I was a little disappointed to find out I couldn't just braid it and stick in under my bra strap (which is the ONLY thing that has ever consistently worked for me). Bunning it has always been a joke and I'm not looking to use 5000 bobby pins anyway. Anybody out there have a tried and true method for keeping hair up for such an occassion. I plan to practice it in the coming months so I can do it in seconds...

Thanks in advance.:D

Lemur_Catta
September 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
Since your hair is not so long yet, I would try the modified sock bun. It doesn't require any pin, even if it would be quite...big. Once your hair get longer, maybe you can go back to the regular sock bun, braid the remaining hair and pin it around the bun. I saw a video on youtube of the sock bun as a military hair style, so I am sure it would be accepted, but I don't know about the modified version...

julya
September 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Every branch of the military is different, I know, but for Navy basic training, I was required to cut my hair to two inches from the scalp on the first day. Some of the girls cried when they were getting their hair cut, having expected to keep it.

Good luck!

keight425
September 21st, 2009, 03:47 PM
My brother who recently graduated from BMT (I'm assuming you are going to San Antonio) said that if your hair is longer than shoulder length it must be put in the sock bun. I didn't see ANY long haired girls NOT wearing a sock bun. They did the put the sock over and place the hair around it, tie it and then braid the rest and wind it around, but I'm sure if you practiced the modified hair bun (where you roll the hair onto the sock) enough to where it was nice and neat they would accept that. Now I'm not 100% certain the sock bun was 100% required, but I am for certain that 100% of the AF BMT long-haired graduates were all wearing sock buns!

Co Phi
September 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
I went through Air Force basic training, way back in 1990. My hair wasn't very long, but I didn't want to cut it very short, either. So I learned (before I went!) to french braid it. Start as high as possible, french braid it all the way down, and then tuck the braid up under itself and secure it. I used a barrette to secure it and it stayed in quite well. You'll have to learn to do your daily style very fast, since you'll most likely have to put it up immediately after showering at night. Then upon waking in the morning, you'll have something like 2 whole minutes to get dressed and be downstairs in formation... so forget about doing anything to your hair or brushing your teeth or any of those other morning grooming types of things. I found that my hair always stayed much tidier than the hair of the girls who cut theirs short. Since we went to bed with wet hair and had no time even to run a comb through it first thing in the morning, my updo didn't really get messed up while sleeping. After breakfast, etc, there was usually a very minimal grooming time, for brushing teeth and perhaps combing your hair. It will be best, though, if you can work on it before you go and get it down to a very very short amount of time!! Anything you can do to minimize getting yelled at... you'll appreciate very much!!

I hope this helps. I assume the procedure in Basic is still the same all these years later, but you'll find out when you get there. You'll also figure things out as you go, according to all the regulations. Best of luck to you. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it. And when it's done, you'll have a tremendous sense of accomplishment!!

burns_erin
September 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
The only other option I can think of, is a french braid, then take a fat pencil and shove it back up under itself. That's how my neighbor who was in the airforce said she did hers.

Good luck!!!

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone. Co Phi, I will remember that. How do you get it tucked under like that? I've tried this and failed miserably.

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
The only other option I can think of, is a french braid, then take a fat pencil and shove it back up under itself. That's how my neighbor who was in the airforce said she did hers.

Good luck!!!

Great thanks!

misstwist
September 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
When you go for your exam be sure to examine how Air Force women are wearing their hair and talk to as many of them as you can.

Gingevere
September 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
I second the sock bun suggestion. It's also known as the military bun, you know! ;)

Ravenwaves 88
September 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
I have friends in the military and they all wear sock buns. They said basic training was pretty intense, but if you just put your hair in a pony tail, pull it through a sock donut, spread your hair around it, secure that with an elastic.....then wrap the rest around the bun and put as many elastics in as you can to make sure nothing is sticking out. You can sleep on it at night if you turn your head to the side. You'll figure out all sorts of ways to deal with it while your there. Have fun!

heatherdazy
September 21st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Co Phi, I will remember that. How do you get it tucked under like that? I've tried this and failed miserably.
Do a basic french braid and seal it off with a hairband. It may help to deliberately move the braid away from the scalp once you get to about an inch above your hairline.

Stick your finger up under the braid to find the hole that exists underneath so you know where you're aiming, then just shove the bottom of the braid up in it. I like to secure it with a hair or bobby pin or two.

Kotora
September 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Do a basic french braid and seal it off with a hairband. It may help to deliberately move the braid away from the scalp once you get to about an inch above your hairline.

Stick your finger up under the braid to find the hole that exists underneath so you know where you're aiming, then just shove the bottom of the braid up in it. I like to secure it with a hair or bobby pin or two.

I second that. I am retired AF- 20+ years, and I wore my hair like this for years - BSL. I even used this style under my flight helmet when I was a flier. You will have to learn how to braid quickly. I recommend you practice a LOT before you report for training. Good luck - and keep us posted!

rexy
September 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
This might help :)
http://www.militarywoman.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15065

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
I second that. I am retired AF- 20+ years, and I wore my hair like this for years - BSL. I even used this style under my flight helmet when I was a flier. You will have to learn how to braid quickly. I recommend you practice a LOT before you report for training. Good luck - and keep us posted!

I got some "good hair days" hair pins today and tried this out with a dutch style braid (because it's tighter). It worked great. I took a nap with it in just to see if it would stay and it did. Thank you to everyone who has come to my aid. I greatly appreciate it.

Co Phi
September 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Yes, just like heatherdazy said. My hair's not overly thick, and it wasn't terribly long at the time, so I could just tuck it up at the base of the braid. It's amazing how quickly you learn to do things up to standards when someone's breathing down your neck and hollering at you!! I think the sock/military bun sounds like a great idea, too. I didn't know about it at the time!

Arriens
September 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Every branch of the military is different, I know, but for Navy basic training, I was required to cut my hair to two inches from the scalp on the first day. Some of the girls cried when they were getting their hair cut, having expected to keep it.

Good luck!
:eek:
I am allowed to keep my long hair ... and I am male. So yeah, I can see your disapointment.

The french braid and sock bun seems to be the most logic choices.
I went with the normal braid pulled over my head with lots of pins topped with a panty over it. http://www.gothic-nederland.nl/forum/Smileys/classic/gay.gif

RedJen
September 23rd, 2009, 02:57 AM
I went through Air Force basic training, way back in 1990. My hair wasn't very long, but I didn't want to cut it very short, either. So I learned (before I went!) to french braid it. Start as high as possible, french braid it all the way down, and then tuck the braid up under itself and secure it. I used a barrette to secure it and it stayed in quite well. You'll have to learn to do your daily style very fast, since you'll most likely have to put it up immediately after showering at night. Then upon waking in the morning, you'll have something like 2 whole minutes to get dressed and be downstairs in formation... so forget about doing anything to your hair or brushing your teeth or any of those other morning grooming types of things. I found that my hair always stayed much tidier than the hair of the girls who cut theirs short. Since we went to bed with wet hair and had no time even to run a comb through it first thing in the morning, my updo didn't really get messed up while sleeping. After breakfast, etc, there was usually a very minimal grooming time, for brushing teeth and perhaps combing your hair. It will be best, though, if you can work on it before you go and get it down to a very very short amount of time!! Anything you can do to minimize getting yelled at... you'll appreciate very much!!

I hope this helps. I assume the procedure in Basic is still the same all these years later, but you'll find out when you get there. You'll also figure things out as you go, according to all the regulations. Best of luck to you. Believe me, if I can do it, you can do it. And when it's done, you'll have a tremendous sense of accomplishment!!

I also went through Basic in 1990. I learned how to French braid my hair the first morning there!!! (I don't recommend learning under fire like that, but I got to keep my hair.) At first, I could just fold it once and shove it in. When my hair hit about BSL, I rolled the braid up and then shoved it in under the French braid. I could secure it with one barrette and it would stay up all day. I was never able to do the bun because my hair was too thick and my hat wouldn't stay on.

I found that keeping my hair longer was easier than cutting it to collar length-- there is no way I would make it to the salon in time! I would probably have gotten in trouble all the time!

You must be very excited! I remember how excited I was to be going to Basic!

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I also went through Basic in 1990. I learned how to French braid my hair the first morning there!!! (I don't recommend learning under fire like that, but I got to keep my hair.) At first, I could just fold it once and shove it in. When my hair hit about BSL, I rolled the braid up and then shoved it in under the French braid. I could secure it with one barrette and it would stay up all day. I was never able to do the bun because my hair was too thick and my hat wouldn't stay on.

I'm not going to boot camp myself, but I'm trying to find a way to secure the tucked under french braid, and I don't seem to succeed :confused: What kind of barrette are you taking about? How do you use it to secure?

Merlin
September 23rd, 2009, 06:12 AM

Good luck!

Was this something about which you were informed before you signed up? You sound as though you were ready for it and ok with it which makes me wonder if you'd checked?

Seems a bit off for them to bounce this as a surprise?

Gabriel
September 23rd, 2009, 06:25 AM
You can ask the recruiter before you join about what hair requirements are or look online for each of the branch's individual regulations. (in the US at least)

There's a "bulk" limit for the USAF, so be careful of trying to get used to an upswept style if it's outrageously large like some sock buns can be if you have thick hair.

Remember it has to fit well with a hat as well.

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
There's a "bulk" limit for the USAF, so be careful of trying to get used to an upswept style if it's outrageously large like some sock buns can be if you have thick hair.
Speaking of which - it's not the OP's problem, but if someone is looking for advice and accidentally stumbles upon this thread:

With enough hair one can do a sock bun...without the sock! It makes it look really small and skimpy, but since there's this "bulk" limit (as Gabriel said) it might be really useful for women in the military (I doubt any LHCer would want to make their bun smaller :lol:).

To do that, divide hair as in doing a half up, making the bottom half bigger. Start twisting the bottom half around itself, and then wrap it around the upper half as in doing a cinnamon bun, but having it wrapped around the upper-half hair. Twist and wrap around until all the length is wrapped around the base. Then take the upper-half hair that's coming out the middle of the cinnamon bun, and spread it all around over the bun as you do with regular sock bun, secure with hair elastic and wrap around just like you do with regular sock bun.

The more hair you leave in the upper half, the smaller the bun becomes. I made it up because I didn't have a sock on hand, but now I think it might be actually useful to somebody.

RedJen
September 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm going to boot camp myself, but I'm trying to find a way to secure the tucked under french braid, and I don't seem to succeed :confused: What kind of barrette are you taking about? How do you use it to secure?

I used one of those long, thin barrettes where the bottom part just kind of slides under the top part. I'm not explaining it very well. When I get home from work, I'll find a picture. It's not the kind of barrette that has all the small moveable parts-- it's basically one metal piece with a decoration glued on.

Heidi_234
September 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I used one of those long, thin barrettes where the bottom part just kind of slides under the top part. I'm not explaining it very well. When I get home from work, I'll find a picture. It's not the kind of barrette that has all the small moveable parts-- it's basically one metal piece with a decoration glued on.
I think I know what you're talking about, but a picture will be great, thank you. :flower:

RedJen
September 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Goody barrette (http://ribbonandbowsohmy.com/index.php?module=Catalog&action=ViewProduct&prod=253)

This is the type of barrette I used. Sometimes, it was longer and thinner, but this is the way it fastened. I didn't have very many problems with it snagging my hair and it slid in pretty easily.

vindo
September 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I go down for my medical exam this weekend for the Air Force even though I won't be able to start until early next year. Here's my dilema. What do I do with my hair. It has to be kept above my collar in the back so I need a way to put it up, quickly and efficiently, in a way that it won't come out while excercising. I was a little disappointed to find out I couldn't just braid it and stick in under my bra strap (which is the ONLY thing that has ever consistently worked for me). Bunning it has always been a joke and I'm not looking to use 5000 bobby pins anyway. Anybody out there have a tried and true method for keeping hair up for such an occassion. I plan to practice it in the coming months so I can do it in seconds...

Thanks in advance.:D

Wow, this is difficult.

My husband has this idea of me joining the air force reserve and if I only think of what to do with my hair I cringe..

I have seen a lot of sock buns during Army times..I think a small flat sock ring would be best, you don't want to add to much weight.

A braided bun held with a scrunchie would seem secure but I don't know about "braided" and "scrunchie"...:rolleyes: only seen a tucked french braid once.

GoddesJourney
September 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
I'm going to boot camp myself, but I'm trying to find a way to secure the tucked under french braid, and I don't seem to succeed :confused: What kind of barrette are you taking about? How do you use it to secure?

I'm wondering this as well because I tried the french braid tucked thing today for a short run and two of my four good hair days hair pins fell out somewhere within the first mile. Is there some trick to it. I've never in my life found an updo that actually stays. My hair is somewhat thick and slippery.

GoddesJourney
September 23rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Speaking of which - it's not the OP's problem, but if someone is looking for advice and accidentally stumbles upon this thread:

With enough hair one can do a sock bun...without the sock! It makes it look really small and skimpy, but since there's this "bulk" limit (as Gabriel said) it might be really useful for women in the military (I doubt any LHCer would want to make their bun smaller :lol:).

To do that, divide hair as in doing a half up, making the bottom half bigger. Start twisting the bottom half around itself, and then wrap it around the upper half as in doing a cinnamon bun, but having it wrapped around the upper-half hair. Twist and wrap around until all the length is wrapped around the base. Then take the upper-half hair that's coming out the middle of the cinnamon bun, and spread it all around over the bun as you do with regular sock bun, secure with hair elastic and wrap around just like you do with regular sock bun.

The more hair you leave in the upper half, the smaller the bun becomes. I made it up because I didn't have a sock on hand, but now I think it might be actually useful to somebody.

I will try this tomorrow or Friday.

GoddesJourney
September 23rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Wow, this is difficult.

My husband has this idea of me joining the air force reserve and if I only think of what to do with my hair I cringe..

I have seen a lot of sock buns during Army times..I think a small flat sock ring would be best, you don't want to add to much weight.

A braided bun held with a scrunchie would seem secure but I don't know about "braided" and "scrunchie"...:rolleyes: only seen a tucked french braid once.

I think I read that scrunchies are not allowed. I may try a small sock ring like that if I can't get this braid thing to work. For some reason I remember reading that metal barrets are not allowed either. I have plenty of time to find something that works, but I wish I was one of those people that can actually pin their hair up and have it stay. Any kind of hair style requires it to be somehow "pinned" and there is just no successful pinning for me. There has to be some trick to it. I'm weaving it through but it's useless.

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Goody barrette (http://ribbonandbowsohmy.com/index.php?module=Catalog&action=ViewProduct&prod=253)

This is the type of barrette I used. Sometimes, it was longer and thinner, but this is the way it fastened. I didn't have very many problems with it snagging my hair and it slid in pretty easily.
Thank you, interesting. :flower:

julya
September 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Was this something about which you were informed before you signed up? You sound as though you were ready for it and ok with it which makes me wonder if you'd checked?

Seems a bit off for them to bounce this as a surprise?

My recruiter told me, so I had mine cut before I reported for training but they actually cut it a bit shorter there. I think that some recruiters are less forthcoming with potential recruits. I think that might be how some of the girls wound up being surprised by it. I was just glad I didn't have to shave my head like the men had to.

Merlin
September 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
My recruiter told me, so I had mine cut before I reported for training but they actually cut it a bit shorter there. I think that some recruiters are less forthcoming with potential recruits. I think that might be how some of the girls wound up being surprised by it. I was just glad I didn't have to shave my head like the men had to.

Did you have very long hair before, and sort of planned to grow it again when you came out; a sort of 'long hair sabbatical' while in the military? Hope you don't mind me asking, I'm just being nosy really!

redcelticcurls
September 25th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Lucky you. I had to cut my hair in Boot Camp.

I used sock buns and French twists for most of my 22 year career.

For PT, a sock bun holds more securely than a twist and doesn't get as wispy as a French braid can.

I'm not sure about the AF, but in the Navy, women can wear cornrows that are 1/4 across and running fore to aft (front to back).

GoddesJourney
September 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for your help everybody.

burns_erin
September 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I do not know if it would be allowed, but i used to use a crochet hook or two, It was easy enough to slide up and in but the hook keeps it from falling down and out, and the whole or most of it is under the braid. Then to get it out I just push it all the way up and out.

Heidi_234
September 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I do not know if it would be allowed, but i used to use a crochet hook or two, It was easy enough to slide up and in but the hook keeps it from falling down and out, and the whole or most of it is under the braid. Then to get it out I just push it all the way up and out.
LOL that was a very silly typo - I meant to say "I'm NOT going...". :laugh: I have no idea about the army here, or if they even recruit women. :o Sorry for the misunderstanding. :o Thankfully, I don't have hair limitations where I work, so anything that will hold that braid tucked under and won't pull on my hair would be great. :flower: