PDA

View Full Version : I Cut My Hair - (Picture Heavy!)

busnutmedic
September 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi Folks,

Years ago, I had beautiful long hair - and I really believed that. Then for some reason, it started thinning, and I became more and more unhappy with it. I don't know if it was just age related, or what. I struggled with the cutting for a long time. I never wore my hair down (and I got comments on how thin it on the rare occasion that people saw it down.) Also, I felt that cutting my hair would be appropriate to go with the huge life changes that I have experienced lately - the joy of marrying and starting a new life and the anguish of leaving my family and having that situation turn out rather sad.

I did self cutting twice - about a month ago, and a few days ago. I figured I would upload some pictures of my hair in action, so to speak, to give you an idea of it's character. I was just realizing that most of my hair pictures are just of my hair up or down, arranged just so, and I know that it isn't an accurate representation of my hair.

So here are pics! I hope I haven't uploaded too many.

The front.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2437/3942368834_3d2e70f22c.jpg

The back (eep! I can see how crooked it is now!)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2596/3942368898_811629b51e.jpg

The front.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/3942368742_3b50863596.jpg

A ponytail! I haven't been comfortable wearing my hair like this for a long time.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3280/3941589067_5b8f1430a6.jpg

My little ponytail from the front.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2577/3942368480_15ab622224.jpg

Excuse the face. I've been told enough times that I need to wear makeup :o
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2528/3941588671_51a07173a2.jpg

And a hairstyle that I have always liked, and wanted to wear but couldn't bring myself to do! :D
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2580/3941588941_ef5a4c2776.jpg

And there you have it! I had thought about cutting my hair about shoulder length, but I don't think I'm going to anymore. I can't bear the thought of short hair, and somehow I can convince myself that I still have long hair. I would love to grow it out thicker, but unless something changes in my head, I guess I'll be keeping it around this length.

I also have gone back on my decision not to cut my hair till 2010 :( But all is well, I feel a lot more comfortable with my hair, and I had no idea of the life changes that would be happening between '08 and '10!

busnutmedic
September 21st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Apparently I did upload too many, because I got a notice saying so when I tried to post :)

So here are the rest of the pics:

From the side-ish.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2546/3942368592_dd566c4cb1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3941588839_4491f46d2a.jpg

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe you can find a good hair routine that works for you (to help you shed less maybe) and maintain your current length while more thickness catches up. I think your half up ponytail looks great... and you don't *need* to wear make-up. Don't excuse your face. Your joyous smile lightens up your look more than any make-up ever could.

GoddesJourney
September 21st, 2009, 02:39 PM
And I forgot to mention... congratulations on getting married! I just recently married too. Enjoy your new life.

Elphie
September 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think your hair looks lovely at that length. If you were unhappy with the ends, then cutting it was the right thing to do. I like half pony's as well; the best of both worlds...up and down at the same time!

GlennaGirl
September 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Oh, wow. How beautiful it looks, particularly those romantic face-framing waves in the front. Did you cut very long bangs by any chance, or does your hair just naturally do that?

It is absolutely gorgeous. When my hair grows up (down) it wants to be your hair. :p

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Congrats on getting married! :D

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being happy with your hair! That's the most important part of your hair journey - your own happiness. If it made you happier to cut your hair, then more power to you, and congrats on your GOOD decision. The hair in your photos looks very healthy and shiny, and it frames your face well when it's pulled to the front. You look beautiful! :flower:

Loviatar
September 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM
Busnutmedic, never excuse your own face! You have a beautiful smile and your eye colour is stunning - never mind those great shaped brows. Make up, meh - wear it if you want, dont let anyone tell you that you need to.

I love your half-up pony. Half-ups are so elegant. The full pony takes years off you too ;)

Congratulations on your new length and healthy ends!

KarpatiiSiv
September 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
The most important thing is your own happiness. You sound and look happy that you cut your hair, so it was definitely the right decision. Your hair looks really pretty in the half-up and ponytail.

julya
September 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
The new haircut is very cute! I think it suits your look nicely, and is still quite long.

Islandgrrl
September 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Bonnie...congratulations on your wedding!!! Wishing you and your new hubby a wonderful life together!

As far as the hair goes....you absolutely should do what makes you happy. I do think your hair at this length is very flattering! Oh, and you're beautiful. Don't doubt that for a single moment!!!

curls2grow
September 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Congrats on your marriage! That is wonderful news! I think you did a great job cutting your hair and it's very pretty at that length.

From someone who has been stuck at "around shoulder length" for way too long, I would say do not cut to this length. If growing out from shorter that's one thing, because then one is just passing through the shoulder range. But having my hair at the various stages of almost-, at-, and below-shoulder length... the ends seem to take a beating at this stage so no real noticeable growth is happening, IME. It gets stuck in the collars of shirts and sweaters and when I flick my hands to move it I end up pulling on tangles, the ends find their way under purse and backpack straps, etc. I just think shoulder length is a tough length to grow beyond. But I don't wear my hair in protective styles as much as I should either, so that's probably a good part of the damage done. Just my :twocents:

QueenMadge
September 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Bonnie your hair is lovely and everyone is right that your pretty blue eyes and lovely smile are what we notice. All of the photos are lovely but my personal favorite is the half up style;-).

Thank you for sharing!

joyellen
September 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM
I think your hair looks great at that length. I also don't think you should listen to anyone who tries to tell you that you need to wear makeup. You don't need to do anything you don't want to do. You look beautiful. :)

Deborah
September 21st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Congratulations on your new marriage! :cheese:

Good choice on your hair. It looks pretty and I'm sure it feels better too. I think you were wise not to cut any shorter. Shoulder length is a royal pain for many people. Your current length is a nice one to maintain or to grow from. Good luck! :)

darkwaves
September 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM
That's a great length for you -- and I love the half-up.

Enjoy your new life!

Honestwitness
September 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
I looked at all your pics and kept thinking, these must be the "Before" photos. I was thinking you were going to show the "After" photos next. Your hair is so nice and long, I didn't realize I was looking at the "After" photos.

I have seen hair a LOT thinner than yours. In fact, I wouldn't even call your hair thin at all.

It's a lovely color, too.

When I was much younger, I had blemishes, too. I believe wearing make-up only made them worse. I still tend to have oily skin and large pores, but hardly ever have blemishes any more. (Of course, I'm almost 60, so that could have something to do with it.)

I read a book years ago written by a dermatologist for those who have blemishes. He said we should not use any kind of oil or make-up on our skin. The only thing we should use is mild soap and water, then lightly pat dry. While the skin is still moist, put a thin layer of vaseline on, for the purpose of sealing in the moisture. Once I started doing this, I noticed I had blemishes much less often.

Please don't be offended that I offer this advice. I truly just want to help by sharing what worked for me.

I am so impressed by all the kind and encouraging comments you've received from the other posters and I agree with every one of them.

lora410
September 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Your hair is still on the long side :). Heck with makeup. I break out some and scar from hyper pigmentation, and I could care less.

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 08:02 PM
Maybe you can find a good hair routine that works for you (to help you shed less maybe) and maintain your current length while more thickness catches up. I think your half up ponytail looks great... and you don't *need* to wear make-up. Don't excuse your face. Your joyous smile lightens up your look more than any make-up ever could.

GoddesJourney took the words right out of my mouth! Your hair looks lovely and please don't excuse your face. Let your light shine. :sun:

Spring
September 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
I love your half up half down hairstyle :)!

LaurenH
September 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Your hair looks lovely! :) And you don't need make-up! :)

Sheltie_Momma
September 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
These are awesome pictures, I especially love the half up. Blessings on your new life!

butterflycayton
September 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Your hair is beautiful half up, don't be afraid to wear it like that. I know how life changes can make you want to "do" something differant, and its usually our hair. I use to have waist length, then divorced and first thing I did cut my hair! Been remarried for 7 years now and very happy and am growing my hair out for me this time....hubby likes better long too. You are beautiful. so do what makes you happy and it will shine

melikai
September 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I definitely wouldn't cut any shorter - your hair looks lovely! So soft and conditioned looking.

DavidN
September 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
First of all, Bonnie, congratulations to you on your wedding!:toast:

Your trim went very well, and your hair is shiny and healthy. The most important thing is that you are genuinely happy!

yellowchariot
September 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hey, IMO I think it did a great job! I don't know anything about hair (though I'm learning), but your hair looks healthy from those pics!

busnutmedic
September 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your congratulations and replies and comments! Next month will have been 6 months already for my husband and I (I can hardly believe it!). Time flies.

You are all so kind :) :)