PDA

View Full Version : question for curlies who use/used MSM

curlytiff27
September 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Ok, I think I have noticed something. I've been on msm for shedding reasons for about 6 weeks now. I have worked up to 4000 mgs a day. However, I have noticed that my growth coming in is so soft that its not curling anymore. Maybe a slight wave...maybe! Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy? More importantly, would switching to garlic caps be more beneficial? I can't loose my curls! I love them!! They are ME! :-)

Thanks all!

handsclean
September 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM
I took 1000 mg for a few months, and I didn't notice and change so I didn't buy a new thing of it when I ran out. My curls were still as curly as ever.

curlytiff27
September 21st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Well, I did alittle more research on this. I noticed that alot of ladies on the LHCF stated that MSM soften the texture of there hair so much that some did not need relaxing and some even stopped it to prevent loosing the curl as well.

Now it has me wondering, if I start taking Biosil will it have the same effect? I do't want to risk loosing my curl any more. More importantly, by figuring this out, it has calmed my anxiety alot. I kept feeling the back of my head and near my roots thinking that my hair was thinning. Its not...its just so soft that my new growth lays very flat to my head. Kinda hard to explain. So....if anyone else has this problem, please let me know. Also, please advise on the Biosil if anyone knows. Thanks! :D

Speckla
September 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
I've been taking xBiotin and MSM for a few years and haven't noticed my curls getting looser. My hair is getting curlier as it gets longer.

curlytiff27
September 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
I've been taking xBiotin and MSM for a few years and haven't noticed my curls getting looser. My hair is getting curlier as it gets longer.

Hmmm, how much are you taking a day?

Speckla
September 21st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hmmm, how much are you taking a day?

1300 mg of MSM and 15,000 mcg of biotin.

curlytiff27
September 21st, 2009, 06:16 PM
1300 mg of MSM and 15,000 mcg of biotin.

Maybe I am noticing this because I take 4000 mg of msm a day. I know everything effects everyone differently. Maybe I am just weird like that. :-)

Speckla
September 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Maybe I am noticing this because I take 4000 mg of msm a day. I know everything effects everyone differently. Maybe I am just weird like that. :-)

What's the longest your hair has been and were you using different products? I know that my hair is definitely softer when I don't straighten or use heat.

ambychelle
September 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
4000mg? Is that the norm? I'm taking 1500mg as part of a glucosomine and MSM for joints and I thought that was a good amount. Maybe I should try more?

Sorry.. no help with texture since the MSM doesn't really seem to do anything at all for me yet.

Roseate
September 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
I take 1000 mg and haven't noticed a difference in curl pattern at all.

Maybe try cutting your dose down to see if a lower dose would still provide benefits without the unwanted curl loosening effect?

Spring
September 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM
I thought I would try the msm to help reduce shedding too. I didn't realize that msm was in my joint supplements and hair vitamins, so I was taking it without knowing it. Then I realized there was a huge increase in my growth rate (in certain parts of my hair, not overall) since taking the joint supplements, so I believe this is because of the msm. The increase growth rate was nice. I usually average .5 inch per month, but since starting the joint supplements in July, by the end of August I had over an inch of new growth in some areas ( that's one month of growth) and now it's over 2 inches of growth in some areas. Unfortunately, and for some unexplainable reason the growth was not even.

I haven't noticed any reduction in shed, which was the main reason for trying the msm. I have also noticed my new growth in some areas is extremely soft. I think the softness is due to the biotin I'm taking, because I started biotin before the joint supplements and started noticing the softness then.