PDA

View Full Version : I have short hair, what to do to get it long

omgkfclolz
September 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Okay so i'm new here, but i was wondering what i can do to get my hair long. I'm not sure why, but i like the way kurt cobain looks in this pic (http://www.vboogieman.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/97943_kurt-cobain.jpg).
This is a picture of me, although recently i got my hair trimmed a little bit all around so my hair isn't at that length anymore, but is close to it. http://i35.tinypic.com/rsrhib.jpg
and http://i37.tinypic.com/2cicuo1.jpg

how can i go about growing it to the length of kurts, should i trim it every 6 weeks? Will using any hair products that claim to make hair grow faster like revitol help?

Pegasus Marsters
September 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Don't cut it.

That really is all there is to it.

omgkfclolz
September 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Don't cut it.

That really is all there is to it.
can i at least trim it every 6 weeks, will that help at all?

Olivia23
September 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
I would not do any trims. That's what most hairdressers tell you but it will take forever to grow that way. Just browse through this site and you will find a lot of helpful advice. I would put some types of oil on your ends to prevent split ends such as coconut oil. Just treat your hair very gentle when brushing and invest in a good brush/comb. Also a lot of us on here try not to wash our hair no more than once a week. The reason being shampoo strips your hair of it's natural oils so a lot of washing is not good.

Roseate
September 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM

No, it won't help.

Most hair grows about 1/2" a month, so if you trim even a little bit every 6 weeks you will be cutting off a lot of your growth. Wait longer between trims; I trim mine every 6 months, not 6 weeks.

You will go through some awkward stages, but that's what hats are for! Welcome to LHC!

Shermie Girl
September 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM

Hair grows an average of 1/2" per month. If you trim your hair every six weeks you will be cutting away most or all of your growth. You hair will not get any longer or will seem to grow very slowly.

Just leave it to grow. Unless you get rampant splits or need to even wonky layers or something, there really isn't much reason to trim. Once your hair reaches the length you want, you can think about shaping and layers to get the look you want. (Tho by that time, you might be over the whole Kurt Cobain look...;))

melrose1985
September 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
I second the "don't cut it." Once you get it to the length then trim it to keep it there.

Gumball
September 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Trimming cuts your ends, while growth comes from your scalp. If your ends are damaged and you think that may be impairing your growth, then a trim may work, but it may not be necessary. Since it looks like your hair is pretty straight the growth will be very apparent as you go, versus, say, someone with curlier hair. As for growth just maintaining good health for your body is the main way to go. If your body is healthy, your diet is decent, and you're staying hydrated, then enjoy the ride!

wolf girl
September 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
There are no miracle vitmains or products that will make your hair grow faster or longer. There are only two simple rules..

#1 Put the scissors down!! Do not cut.
#2 Take care of the hair you have. If you damage it, it will break off. That leads to it taking longer to grow out.

HTH and welcome to LHC!

SHELIAANN1969
September 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
I have to agree with the other posters, the only way to grow hair is to stop cutting it. Have fun on the journey! :flower:

Peter
September 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Another vote for leaving it alone. Trimming will only help if your ends are so badly damaged that they're breaking off faster than your hair grows.

linda g
September 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
You will need to develop patience, a long attention span, and a tolerance for awkward stages. :) Good luck!

luluj
September 21st, 2009, 01:51 PM
YEP! I agree with every comment so far. I am growing out a very short crop and my goal is shoulder length. The only way to get there is NOT to cut, just keep it in top-notch condition! Good Luck, you CAN do it!

LisaJaney
September 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Ultimately, to get Kurt's hairstyle, you're going to have to cut the back a little, because it looks like the hair is cut at one horizontal line (that means that the bangs are longer than the back). So IF you feel you have to cut, then just only trim the BACK a little teeny tiny bit, and NOT more often than 6week intervals. Like they told you before: hair grows an average of 1/2" per month. That's the average. You may be faster or SLOWER than that. If you're slower and you cut a half-inch every 6 months, you're never going to see any length-change.

I'd let it go for 2 months, see where you are (hairstyle wise) and then decide where you are with the length. If you need to trim the back, then go for it. If not, then hide the scissors for another 4 or 6 weeks. Pretty simple!

Oh, and take your vitamins, eat a good diet. Those things help, too! (and sleep!)

Unofficial_Rose
September 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Kurt Cobain, sigh. :heartbeat

(What everyone else said, don't trim it unless it's split)

spidermom
September 21st, 2009, 02:18 PM
It is not true that your hair will not grow if you get it trimmed every 6 weeks. I did that for the first 5 years of growing my hair, and it grew 2 feet longer. It always looked good, and I rarely had split ends.

However, that is not impressive growth. That is only 4.75 inches of length increase per year on average. With no trims, I can grow up to 7 inches in one year. However, I have a lot more of a problem with split ends when I do that.

So it's really up to you. Do you want to grow as fast as possible? Don't cut it unless you really need to because it's splitting and breaking off. Or do you want your hair to always look well groomed and styled. Then get it trimmed every 6-8 weeks.

Or do something in-between, like get it trimmed every 3-4 months. It's your hair; do what you like.

RancheroTheBee
September 21st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Another vote for leaving it alone. Trimming will only help if your ends are so badly damaged that they're breaking off faster than your hair grows.

This.

When I started growing my hair last July, I trimmed obsessively because I was terrified of accumulating damage. It wasn't until January, when I got here, that I realized that a good way to stop accumulating damage was to stop damaging my hair by ironing, blowdrying, etc. I still do a microtrim every once in a while, because my hair tends to be very dry (and still a bit damaged), but that means an inch and a half minus 1/8th of an inch = still a lot of growth.

Not trimming can be hard. What I did was set up a time frame where I could not trim my hair, and I would reward myself upon the completion of going however long without trimming. I increase the time frame after each trim. Right now, I'm a month into a four-month stretch without trimming. Treat your hair well and it is possible, though you do need to be patient. For instance, if I didn't trim at all, ever, it would still take me four years to get to hip.

Unless you have super-damaged hair, waiting three to six months without trimming will not cause any harm. Six weeks, on the other hand, is just throwing away all the growth you had. So unless you grow about two inches a month, a trim every month and a half is unnecessary and won't help at all.

friskybiznus
September 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Right. What they said. Don't trim - at least for a few months. Welcome and best wishes!

natorade
September 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
You will need to develop patience, a long attention span, and a tolerance for awkward stages. :) Good luck!
I couldn't agree more about tolerance to awkward stages. I am cureently looking like a cross between a wooly mammoth, medussa and an out of control Ivy. And I have no patience and a short attention span.:confused:

Heavenly Locks
September 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Care for it well, and don't cut it. Visit LHC often! :D

eadwine
September 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Everyone here is lying..

what you do is this:

For six months, every day in the morning on an empty stomach, you squeeze out a lemon, and drink it.

Then you rub your knuckles through a cucumber mix of cucumber and the peels of that lemon and rub it in your hair.

Don't wash it out!!

Kidding, of course. Needless to say: patience is how you do it ;)

Gumball
September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Oh, eadwine. :p

I snickered.

eresh
September 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks Eadwine....another bruise!
(from falling off my chair laughing :D)

redneckprincess
September 22nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
no cutting

no chemicals

treat it with care

it will be gaining length in no time

biotin helps

so does gelatin, msm, multi-vitimans
good diet...exercise

good luck

take pics every month or every few months to compaire

prittykitty
September 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Judging from your picture, it should be that length in about a year. My husband has hair the same length as Curt Cobain's. In fact it is almost the same color. It seems that it took a little less than a year to get to that length. Everyone's hair grows differently. If you have fast growing hair you may notice it before a year.

jojo
September 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
All cutting does is make is shorter, hairdressers will tell you to cut every 6 weeks because they have bills to pay simple as! just let it grow and just snip off any individual splits, I guarentee it will grow!

Fractalsofhair
September 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Very few people have a need to cut their hair every 6 weeks unless they blowdry, flat iron, bleach, dye, or perm or relax their hair. If they do any of those, that can lead to splits, which can cause breakage. I'd suggest a trim every 3 months to get rid of awkward stages, if you know a good hairdresser who is "ok" with you growing your hair out. Otherwise, every 6 months.

Massaging your scalp can make it grow faster, along with eating a healthy diet and getting enough protein. But not much faster, more like .75 inches per month as opposed to .5. Some people take biotin, and that makes it grow 1 inch per month. Really though, all you can do is wait. Or get extensions, but those aren't your hair, are a lot of work, cost a ton, and wreak your natural hair.

sana junaid
September 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
dont cut have pateince and trim them if the ends are in bad condition and takecare :)