PDA

View Full Version : Hair Texture Question

visiblenoise
September 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM
Hey everyone, I was just examining a strand of hair on my table... and I realized that if I run my fingers along the strand toward the root, there's significant resistance, almost like it's a bit sticky. But it feels smooth and slips fine if I pull the strand between my fingers going the opposite way. I know about the hair cuticle thing and I've seen diagrams/explanations, but is the difference in texture supposed to be that big? Or am I in serious need of clarifying (which I did just yesterday...though I was just rubbing the scalp)? My hair tends to get tangled really really easily and the strands just do not slip much between each other, so I think I might have a problem.

Merewen
September 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Sounds to me like you have a higher porosity - the cuticle is not so tight against the shaft of the hair. The biggest thing I think will be moisture - it'll go into your hair easily but escape easily too. Unfortunately, I am not an expert on porosity, but I might be able to find some links for you. Let me go see what I can find.

ETA:

This is an article from naturallycurly.com. Maybe it'll be helpful. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair

visiblenoise
September 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks! That was enlightening. I guess I'll look for some conditioner with proteins next time I go shopping.