PDA

View Full Version : Mystery hair. :)

Heavenly Locks
September 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM
This is sort of silly, I guess. Since I started my job, I never ever wear my hair down. I think it adds an air of mystery to my hair and it's length/type. It feels sort of fun to wear it up alll week and then only down on off days or at home.

I feel like my hair is even more special and surprising when people I see all week bump into me with it down. Plus, it feels more special to me. In a way I hadn't thought of before...like it is only for those I want to share it with, or let see it.

Anyone else feel that way? I can't wait to surprise the people who haven't seen me for a few years when I get home to the U.S. :bounce:

Monsterkitti
September 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM
Hehe I do get this a bit at work :) I never wear my hair down at work so when it is down it gets much more reaction than normal which is kinda nice :)

Schnail
September 21st, 2009, 05:12 AM
Yes, I completely agree. Although, if I wear my hair up with a stick, it is more likely to come down in the car rather than at home as my sticks are too long to allow me to turn my head to check blindspots whilst driving :eek:.

Wicked Princess
September 21st, 2009, 05:22 AM
Yes! I am so glad I am not the only one!

I wear my hear up almost all the time - during work, when going out with friends, etc. It isn't anything overly fancy...a simple cinnamon bun here, a braided bun there. The only time I ever take it down is when I'm at home, in the late evenings. I do this solely for the shock value when I do take it down.

The last time was when I had just hit tailbone (a couple inches ago) and I invited my friend in after a full evening of shopping for a cup of coffee. Out of habit, I took my hair fork out of my hair and let it down and the next thing I heard was, "Holy crap! Your hair is THAT long?!" I laughed for probably ten minutes! :D

logica_divina
September 21st, 2009, 06:18 AM
Yup! Another mystery hair here :D
And I just love all the comments and looks on people's faces when they eventually see me with my hair down.

Isa-belle
September 21st, 2009, 06:26 AM
I feel exactly the same way :) I never wear my hair down at work anymore; and I like to choose what people can see it down.
I agree that I makes it more special, and even though it means I don't wear it down as often as I used to, when I do I enjoy it even more than before - so it all balances out. :)

dernhelm
September 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Sigh...I love hearing these stories! I've been wearing my hair up a lot more recently and although I don't have the length to wow anyone yet, I get comments on my curls when my hair is loose.

longgone
September 21st, 2009, 07:38 AM
Speaking of work... Too bad you weren't tonight... I was going to show you my 5-strand braid while I was drinking my tea and waiting for the pizza...

Of course, boy wasn't impressed with the braid.... Apparently he likes updos (but when I used the term he said he hates that word), especially 1940's/WWII style... Of course that's all I could get and it's not very specific/descriptive... Guess my next few experiments will be updos... Wish I could find some good 1940's updo pictures... From what I've seen thus far, the 1940's styles are going to be a pain to duplicate with my hair...

clairenewcastle
September 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
[quote=longgone;776329]Speaking of work... Too bad you weren't tonight... I was going to show you my 5-strand braid while I was drinking my tea and waiting for the pizza...

Of course, boy wasn't impressed with the braid....
Listen, a five-strand braid is pretty impressive....Men! Congratulations on being able to achieve it! Good for you!
I've just replied to your thread re 1940's hairstyles and I pointed out the need to be aware that a lot of styles from that era involved backcombing and therefore potential damage.
Wear your hair for yourself in the way you feel most comfortable. That braid sounds sounds wonderful!

SimplyViki
September 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM
I would, except I can't help myself - I let my hair down the second I get out of work. Sometimes even as I'm walking to my car on lunch break (and then when I'm getting to my car, I'm like :doh: should've left it up to protect it from the seat - and then I just swing it in front of me). And I like to wear it in a ponytail or braid a lot, so I think few people at work are oblivious to my growing length. :hmm: Well, actually, I doubt they pay very much attention, really, so maybe they are actually oblivious. :wigtongue

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 08:54 AM
I've never really thought of it that way - but it does make sense! I usually just wear it up because it's more comfortable when I'm about my daily routine with all the kids. It stays out of my way and I don't damage it by catching it in/on things. :D

It does add a touch of mystery, I'm sure. I certainly don't wear my hair down often when I'm out. Most of the people I'm friends with who would comment on my hair length usually just ask me how long it's getting now. And mostly I just use my hand to show them on my body - or remove my hairstick and shake it loose. That's always fun to do. :)

KarpatiiSiv
September 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
I would, except I can't help myself - I let my hair down the second I get out of work. Sometimes even as I'm walking to my car on lunch break (and then when I'm getting to my car, I'm like :doh: should've left it up to protect it from the seat - and then I just swing it in front of me). And I like to wear it in a ponytail or braid a lot, so I think few people at work are oblivious to my growing length. :hmm: Well, actually, I doubt they pay very much attention, really, so maybe they are actually oblivious. :wigtongue

I do exactly the same.:D

longgone
September 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Listen, a five-strand braid is pretty impressive....Men! Congratulations on being able to achieve it! Good for you!
I've just replied to your thread re 1940's hairstyles and I pointed out the need to be aware that a lot of styles from that era involved backcombing and therefore potential damage.
Wear your hair for yourself in the way you feel most comfortable. That braid sounds wonderful!

Well, the boy tends to be old fashioned and conservative (rarely to be seen in anything less formal than a button down and khakis/linen; but heck he looks good in it so who am I to complain)... And it's definitely worth the time and effort to garner his appreciation... I am not going to do anything that will damage my hair, but if I'm going to take the time to learn new styles, they might as well be stuff that will get his attention ;)

Braids have always been my thing because they are easy and work well for sports.... I actually accomplished the 5-strand on the first try, though I need to work on keeping it neater once I have to bring it around my shoulder to do the bottom half... I'll definitely keep the braids for when I'm on my own, but I'm just as happy with updos... I probably wear the standard knot bun more than any other style... Looking around LHC has convinced me I should branch out and try some new stuff... I'm not really partial to any one style or genre...

swanns
September 21st, 2009, 09:27 AM
Haha, I definitely do this! I came back to where I live currently after four months in my hometown just a few weeks ago and I've been wearing my hair up since, and I'm going to keep doing that for quite some time still :) It's so much fun, especially when you finally wear it down and everybody goes ooh and ahh at it!

Edit: I've been wearing a lot of fancy updos lately (and you know how something as simple as a cinnamon bun or a figure-8 might seem super fancy to people outside the long hair world, too), I feel like I'm turning into "the girl with fancy updos" instead of being "the girl with long hair".

Princess Fair
September 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
Whenever I am going to work or going out for errands, I prefer to wear my hair up in a simple bun adorned with a flower or ribbon. Wearing my hair up prevents it from getting in my way or getting caught and damaged.

I had worn my hair down just once while working and nearly everyone commented on how long it was. I actually kind of like it this way... it's like it is my own little secret.

kdaniels8811
September 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
I wear my hair up all the time and have for over a year now. It comes down on weekends at home so the only one seeing it down is my sweetie. Otherwise I am showing off my vast collection of hair toys - can wear a different one every day for a couple months, it seems! I love wearing it down only for him, adds to the mystique.

I went to a party Saturday after work and one of my co-workers asked if I was going to "let my hair down" and laughed himself silly. I wore it up...

fluffybunny
September 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes! I love the mystery hair idea. I want to wear my hair up for the next two years while growing it. By that time it will be waist length and nobody will know I've grown it out, unless they're astute enough to notice the growing bun size :)

Amara
September 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
I am starting a new job soon and I plan on never wearing my hair down at it. I've worn my hair down a very few times at my current job... but I like the idea of never doing it at all.

rach
September 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
defiantly and plus you don't need to have the fresh looking "all" the time. when up you can oil it up and no one would know :p

longgone
September 21st, 2009, 10:31 AM
And for a more on-topic response.... I don't do the mystery hair thing on purpose, but in my various jobs I am either required to wear it up or, when teaching, need to wear it up (so it doesn't fall all over the students' desks when I'm explaining stuff to individuals) so often my students and co-workers don't see it down for months and are quite surprised when they do....

I think my best story is from college... Indiana is hot in the summer and I chose to live in an unairconditioned dormitory... Hence I wore my hair up constantly... Late that fall I went to get a recommendation from one of the summer profs and he was amazed at the length of my hair... Without realizing it, I had gone the whole summer session without wearing it in anything but a bun (and with my poker straight hair, despite it's thickness, likely because I put it up wet, my buns are deceivingly small)...

Overall, I think the only folks who are really shocked are usually the unobservant since I do wear it braided occasionally... Or those who don't connect a long braid with long hair... Duh....

shadowclaw
September 21st, 2009, 11:30 AM
I'm kind of like that at school. I took some time off from school, and now I've started a new semester and I decided that I will wear my hair up to classes until I've at least reached minigoal # 1 (waist). I was thinking of holding out until I reach my goal of classic, but it's hard to keep my hair up... I love to let it loose!

But I don't want people to so much wonder about its length as I want them to go "Holy crap!" when I finally let it down. It will be a while, though, at least until sometime in the spring I think. Until then, my hair shall be "under cover" :cool:

Roseate
September 21st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I had serious mystery hair in college, very much on purpose. It went a little too far for me; I started to feel very exposed if I had it down, wouldn't answer my door without it up... I had to cut it out. I can get too obsessive about that kind of thing.

embee
September 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
Since my hair is not pretty when down/loose, I always have it up unless I'm at home, having washed it. Then it's down, air drying. My DS called me "hair girl"! ;) Made me laugh.

Once at a singing a young girl took out my hairstick to look at it. I don't think she realized it was holding my updo in place and seemed quite startled when the ponytail uncoiled down my back. She and her dad both remarked on the length very impressed (and I'm only just barely at classic, my absolutely longest few strands!) but this child now tells people my hair is "awesome" if anybody makes a comment. It stays up anyway. ;) It's my secret.

Aer
September 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'm a homemaker, but yes, I know what you mean. I keep my hair up all the time, so it is pleasant on the rare, very very rare occasion that someone see's my hair down, and then they are surprised. Your hair can give out an allure of mystery up or down.

Little_Bird
September 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Well I sometimes feel that way too...

I always wear my hair in a braid for university, and my braid eats like 6 inches of my lenght. When I get it lose to redo it all the heads turn to me lol

It's very funny and definitly makes it feel more special :flower:

shaybabe8604
September 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
My hair isn't quite long enough for even a ponytail, much less an updo at this point. However, I do get an opposite, but equivalent reaction to my hair when it's straight. Its can shrink to about an inch when its curly and allowed to air dry, but its collar length when straight. The other day I straightened it for the first time since I started from scratch ten months ago and I got some very surprised reactions (especially from DBF). I guess my hair isn't technically that long, but because its so prone to shrinkage, and I almost never straighten it, I do enjoy the "wow" factor. I can't wait until my hair is longer so the effect will be even more dramatic. :)

Ravenwaves 88
September 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have to wear mine up for work all the time so when my coworkers see me out and about they either don't recognize me or they are in shock. I do love that effect. I look so blah at work but it's like on weekends I'm letting my "she wolf" out.....ha ha. (I love Shakira)

TheEndlessOcean
September 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'm a member of the cross country team at school, and I always put my hair in a ponytail for practice for obvious reasons. It's not super-long or anything yet (though it's plenty long for a guy I suppose), but one day after a meet I took my hair down for the heck of it, and the rest of the guys on the team freaked out about it :p. It was kind of amusing, especially since almost all of them have seen me with it down plenty of times last school year. But it was kind of fun to get the attention and some nice compliments :cheese:

JamieRose
September 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
I feel exactly like this... I almost feel too exposed when I wear it down, even just in front of friends.

I sort of feel the same way about my many tattoos- I almost always wear hoodies and jeans, or other clothing where I am completely covered up, that I feel like people stare at me like crazy when I have them showing. I wouldn't change it for the world, I love my tattoos, but I prefer to have my hair up and skin covered, thankyouverymuch.

ETA- having pictures up on here is different, though- can't gawk at me through the internetz :D Besides, I DO like to hear others' opinions, it's just easier this way.

windinherhair
September 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Oh, I feel the same way. :) Even more with my new job, because I have worn it up every day since I have been there except for maybe one day and that was earlier when I first started. I have been there 5 months now and have added a few inches. At my old job I wore my hair in a ponytail a lot so everyone knew the length. I have learned a lot more updo's since I joined LHC and that has helped me wear my hair up more. The reason I had the job change is because we moved out of state, and I wont get to see most of my family and friends until later next year. I have mentioned to my mom about growing out my hair, but most people don't know and it will be interesting to see their reactions. :)

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I am going to do something like this with my grad school. :D I am going to wear my hair up the whole time, every day, all the time while in class. Then the last day of each class (or just the very last one) for the term I am going to wear it down. ^_^

Quixii
September 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
In a way. For gymnastics it's always in a bun (for obvious reasons) and lately I've been getting a lot of questions about how long it is (I'm not sure why, actually.) I'm just waiting until I see them all out of gymnastics and let my hair down! I can just see the looks of awe. :D

Runzel
September 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I feel the same way, but I'm also beginning to wonder if wearing it down can be a mystery as well, since when long and thick it can cover a lot!

friskybiznus
September 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yes, I'm a mystery girl, too - rarely wear my hair down. When I do, I get lots of "oooo's" and "ahhhh's" !

Cereus
September 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM
My hair is always up at work. My coworkers have no idea how long my hair is. It's another aspect of having long hair that I'm enjoying.

Tangletizzy
September 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM
I did this in high school, when my hair grew from chin length to my lower back. I never once wore it down from 9th grade until the last day I had long hair, midway through my senior year. Everyone was shocked - and then became even more shocked when I came back the next day with a short bob dyed blood red! :)

These days, though, I can't get my hair to stay in a true "updo" for love nor money. It's too fine, too slippery, and there's just too darned much of it. It's annoying, 'cause I'd love to have it up once in a while, instead of in a braid or a ponytail.

RedJen
September 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM
I like hiding my hair. I love having long hair, but showing it off makes me feel very vulnerable. I do like the mystery of it, too, and the fact that it's something special that only a few people get to see.

tangocurl
September 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM
I love this thread. I also have mystery hair and enjoy the mystery. I don't think anyone knows exactly how long my hair is, including myself. This will be much more exciting of an intrigue when my hair is actually *long*...

Maddy25
September 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Ahhh I cant wait till my hair is long enough to be able to hide and shock people when I take it down! It's one thing I have always wanted to do :)

Amoretti
September 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I've been 100% mysterious for over three years. :D :D