PDA

View Full Version : Why heighten hair on top?

Anje
April 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I keep seeing threads where folks ask how to get more volume on top of their heads. There are lots of videos with people with hair-rat based poufs on top or toward the back, and everywhere I go I see people with the front top portion of their hair (maybe 3" wide) poofed up and pinned in place.

Does anyone else think this looks strange? I feel like it makes the head look oddly proportioned and a bit alien, but maybe I'm missing something.

jessie58
April 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I have a love/hate affair with volume and poufy hair. On the right person, the backcombed, or comb over a rat look can be so pretty and glamorous. I guess it's another of today's styles. Not for everyone.

I saw a tiny girl waitressing the other day with her hair backcombed so huge that it looked like she was wearing an oversized motorcycle helmet and her face was strangely small and with tiny features. She looked so odd and almost freakish.

I used to perm and layer my hair in order to get the utmost height when I was in my teens and my twenties, as it was the style then too. Nowadays, I like to admire the "big hair" on the younger women, I think it looks pretty when not overdone.

eadwine
April 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I don't poof up my hair, my face is long enough as it is *giggle*

Miss Murphy
I think that if you don't have a square face, your face just gets too long, and you end up looking like the lovechild of a Conehead, a horse and Elvis.

But maybe that's just me :shrug:

Lixie
It looks cute! (I don't mind being a cute alien. :p) I do it on days when my hair is a little greasy, I feel it looks nicer on me than having all my hair slicked back.

jessie58
April 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Miss Murphy, you're a riot.

Leisa
April 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I keep seeing threads where folks ask how to get more volume on top of their heads. There are lots of videos with people with hair-rat based poufs on top or toward the back, and everywhere I go I see people with the front top portion of their hair (maybe 3" wide) poofed up and pinned in place.

Does anyone else think this looks strange? I feel like it makes the head look oddly proportioned and a bit alien, but maybe I'm missing something.

I posted the question 'how to get height on top' this morning.

Anyways, I wasn't talking about freakish height, but merely, some volume as long hair pulls down and when you have thin hair like I do, it makes the hair slick against the face. This is okay, but I think its pretty to have some volume around the face. I think this is what short haircuts achieve, however, if one doesn't want to cut their hair, then an alternative must be sought.

No, I don't have "hair rat based poufs" as you put it. Nor do I want one. However, some volume is nice in my opinion. That is why I like the braids that go over the top of the head. Sort of like a crown, pretty in my opinion. I like medieval braided hairstyles too.

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I like it on me , cause I have a short forehead, and it takes attention away from my big nose.I dont do mine huge though. And its fast and easy to look a bit more polished without having to heat style.

At my husbands Christmas party I had a small pouf with my hair down wavy.looked cute.But this girl at his office had a huge one and her face is pretty but thin and horsey, and she did look weird, some of the guys at the party were telling her she looked like the aliens on the old show "Alien Nation". I would have felt bad for her, had she not been such a snotty lil tramp that night trying to freak everyones husbands on the dance floor, and she kept bumping into me, I almost knocked her on her ass.

Heres a picture of me trying hairstyles out for my wedding, I did end up doing a pouf similar to this...
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/DSC02549.jpg

heres what it looked like at the wedding when I took more time on it.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/statueclose.jpg

freznow
April 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I don't like volume (esepecially that ginormous stuff some celebs/others wear), even the wavy bit when I take down updo's that have been in all day I dislike. I prefer the 'slick against the face', I guess.

There are updo's that work and don't work for each preference, but that's just what it is: a preference.

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
My hair is very thin and if its not freshly washed it is too slick and thin and severe. I like a little poof or sometimes I do a little twist on either side of the part to add volume in front.

I guess it depends on your face and personal preferance.

spidermom
April 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Alaskanheart, how dare you be so gorgeous?! I like doing all kinds of things to vary my look, including creating the poof. My face is a rounded square so a little height is nice, plus it's different. I'm all over what's different - don't want one look.

KaeleyAnne
April 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I have a large forehead, so it looks odd if I pull all of my hair straight back. However, I have bangs to avoid that problem. If I didn't have bangs, I would need to do something to add a little bit of volume/looseness to the top so that I wouldn't look too severe and my forehead wouldn't look so large.

Sarahmoon
April 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Anje!!! I was already thinking of starting a thread like this! :laugh:

Yes! I do think it looks weird. Unless someone has naturally think curly hair that adds heigt, or a high bun or ponytail, or crown braid or whatever, I think adding height looks weird. It usually looks very unnatural to me. Those backbombed or product styles "poofs" :?
If it's a veeeery slight bit of hight it doesn't look too weird, but why would you backbomb your hair or put all those greasy in products in it in order to achieve half an inch on height? Better wear a nice bun or braid then.

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Oh another reason I started with the little pouf was to prevent pulling on my fagile already thin hairline. It is a nice way to vary the "pull" so its in a different place everyday.

manderly
April 18th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I like it on me , cause I have a short forehead, and it takes attention away from my big nose.I dont do mine huge though. And its fast and easy to look a bit more polished without having to heat style.

At my husbands Christmas party I had a small pouf with my hair down wavy.looked cute.But this girl at his office had a huge one and her face is pretty but thin and horsey, and she did look weird, some of the guys at the party were telling her she looked like the aliens on the old show "Alien Nation". I would have felt bad for her, had she not been such a snotty lil tramp that night trying to freak everyones husbands on the dance floor, and she kept bumping into me, I almost knocked her on her ass.

Heres a picture of me trying hairstyles out for my wedding, I did end up doing a pouf similar to this...

You're absolutely gorgeous! Now I am forced to hate you (j/k).

But I love the little pouf look. I do it to my hair (especially when it needs a wash). I need the extra volume on top, otherwise my hair hangs down until it reaches my ears and starts to wave and it turns into a bit of a triangle. The pouf or blowdried volume on top help keep my look more symmetrical and makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

There are girls who take it to the nutty extreme, however, and they look absolutely bizzare.

Anje
April 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
If it's a veeeery slight bit of hight it doesn't look too weird, but why would you backbomb your hair or put all those greasy in products in it in order to achieve half an inch on height? Better wear a nice bun or braid then.

I agree -- a slight bit looks nice, especially if you want to lengthen your face a little. Heck, I like the Captain Janeway pseudo-Edwardian look, but I can't pull it off (looks strange and makes my already large head look absolutely enormous; very "alien"). I even like to put buns high for waves, so I don't have flatness to my ears and big hair below it.

It's the people walking around with an extra inch or four of height that seems strange to me. As stated, it's personal preference, but I think in a few years it'll be seen as being extremely 2008.

Riot Crrl
April 18th, 2008, 02:33 PM
flatness to my ears and big hair below it.

3a type really tends toward this exact phenomenon. There are nondamaging ways to mitigate it without backcombing and spray.

Xanthippe
April 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I like a bit of height because I have a very square and wide face. I think that my bone structure looks better with a bit of 'poof.' But, I don't do any backcombing, just pinning or braiding.

Finoriel
April 18th, 2008, 03:00 PM
As a natural (and proud) flat-hair :p I always wonder about this styles too...
For me itīs nothing desirable, but I donīt mind to see these styles from time to time.
I think itīs like every fashion, either you like it :shrug: or not.

But it makes me a tad sad to read all over the board, that it getīs common to only_and_exclusively declare: hair needs volume to look good :confused:
Come on guys, there are 1a people around, too. And we are not a horrible eye-torture if you see us in the daylight :lol: ! Straight hair is as pretty as wavy or curly hair is. I will never have any sort of "volume" and to read that "flat" hair looks bad and needs more volume is not really nice lecture.
What is wrong with straight hair and / or round faces? Everyone of us looks unique and thatīs good, variety is something wonderful. I actually like the combination of my round face, freckled big nose and straight not-voluminous sleek hair :flower: nothing to complain about and I like long, square or heart-shaped faces, wavy or curly hair of all colors, too.
There is nothing wrong with having your own appearance and being yourself! Even without volume ;)
Sorry for :soapbox::o

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Anje!!! I was already thinking of starting a thread like this! :laugh:

Yes! I do think it looks weird. Unless someone has naturally think curly hair that adds heigt, or a high bun or ponytail, or crown braid or whatever, I think adding height looks weird. It usually looks very unnatural to me. Those backbombed or product styles "poofs" :?

Why would someone have to backcomb or add product to make a pouf?All you do is take your bangs and clip them up, I dont even use hairspray when I do it?Or are you talking about another style and I am confused?

Leisa
April 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/statueclose.jpg[/quote]

Hi! Thats a perfect example of "height" on the top of the head! (And to what I was refering when I asked the question 'how to get height on the top of the head' which does not imply wanting to go berserk with a spray bottle to mimic an alien.)

Its not freakish it just looks very pretty.

You look great.

Stevy
April 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I love to get more volume! Otherwise my thinnish fine hair looks like it's been painted on to my skull, which might be OK if I had a different bone structure, but I have a round face and it doesn't suit me. :)

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Alaskanheart, how dare you be so gorgeous?! I like doing all kinds of things to vary my look, including creating the poof. My face is a rounded square so a little height is nice, plus it's different. I'm all over what's different - don't want one look.

Spidermom and Manderly, you are so sweet, its nice to get compliments, and I have been admiring both of your hairs forever, you are both beautiful, here there is so many beautiful gals &guys.

I like to do things different once and awhile too, keeps it interesting.:D

intothemist1999
April 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
My hair is very thin and if its not freshly washed it is too slick and thin and severe. I like a little poof or sometimes I do a little twist on either side of the part to add volume in front.

I guess it depends on your face and personal preferance.

My hair is the same. I'm also a poof-positive person :)

I have a big noggin (and plump, too) and with my hair flat against it...well, it's just not a look I adore on me. Ironically even with a big head, a little poof can ease up the severity....so I'm not like a balloon with a little bit o' straight, limp hair pasted on.

That said, I'm aiming for no- to low-maintenance hair. It takes ALOT of fussing to keep my hair with even the tiniest bit of poof now that I don't use hair spray. And when I ADD the poof, I feel icky if it starts flattening, so starting flat is alot easier!

I'm working on getting used to the poofless look, just for simplicity's sake.

ETA: I realized I was using "poof" instead of "fluff" or "height". I don't actually DO "poufs" any more because of those "gaps in the corners of my forehead. Usually it's by backcombing (which I don't like to do) or by flipping the hair from one side part to another that I get a little bit of HEIGHT at the front and/or along the part.

DotDotDot
April 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I think it definitely depends on a number of factors including face shape, how wide your poof is, how high it is, if it's gelled or not, and what else you do with your hair. One time my best friend did a teeny one with two thin curled pieces dangling on either side. She looked gorgeous. I know that Kelly Clarkson did one in one of her videos that was pretty huge and very gelled-looking and it was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. :shrug:

jessie58
April 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM

Lovely pouffy hair for the wedding and a lovely couple. Wow.

ycelong
April 18th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Alaskanheart:
I love your pictures - you are truly stunning!! And I like the looser way you pinned your hair up. I do that sometimes so I don't look like a stodgy librarian!!

MemSahib
April 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Why heighten my hair? Square face and short stature, that's why. Only I barely, barely poof it up and really it's a lost cause. No one except me knows I poof it, but it makes me feel better.

Valorie
April 18th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I love Alaskanheart's hair in those photos~ gorgeous!:)

I think it's when it's the very extreme sort of style it looks odd. The past couple years I've noticed more of this done in fashion type photos where the "Elvis Poof" is abundant and I've never liked that. It doesn't look like hair to me. And it really does look like Elvis.
That's a lot different though.

Also my mom does this "I have to tease my hair up high on top of my head" thing that makes her look much older. I don't understand why at all. But she doesn't believe me when I've told her it looks really good without it.

Tapioca
April 18th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm 6'4", so any extra height is to be avoided at all costs. When I went to get my hair done for my wedding, I emphasized that I didn't want any extra height. So what did they do? Mass of curls, plunk on the top of my head. And they glued in rhinestones with eyelash glue! Luckily, it wasn't my wedding day yet, so I went home and washed it out. On my actual day, I wore it in a simple half-up. Wanted to show off the flowers in my hair.

doodlesmart
April 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Personally, I think it looks strange and poodle-like. The worst IMO is when girls do it with flat ironed hair. So the rest of the hair is hanging limp and dead looking and then they have it pinned up inches above their head :crazyq:. Then they just look like a wet poodle. Also, the mass of bobby pins they use to do it, are not so attractive. To me, bobby pins/amish pins and the like are meant to be used to discretely hold up a style, and 5 black ones in a mass on bleached flat ironed hair just looks tacky. This seems to be the style of choice for many of the undergraduates here. I remember when I first saw it in class one day last year, I went home to my roommate and actually was like "I couldn't believe what this girl did to her hair today in class." My roommate couldn't believe it because I am not one to typically comment on others' appearances, but I just couldn't fathom why someone would do that to their head. I've now gotten used to it since it has become "fashionable," but I still think it is strange looking.

I think making use of natural wave to get some volume on top looks great on most people and having bangs or layers or whatnot to avoid the stern bunned look is great, but weirdly artificially created poodle-poofs just look weird to me. It seems to be a fad, and I'm guessing it will pass. :shrug:

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM
weirdly artificially created poodle-poofs just look weird to me. It seems to be a fad, and I'm guessing it will pass. :shrug:

hAHA its spray on hair. :pLots of things look weird to me too, like mohawks on girls and black hair with blonde strips, someone in their 20's who's pulling off the 50 year old librarian look, but I dont have to do it to my hair so I dont worry about it, and sometimes I think styles look good on others (like slicked back hair), but dont look good on me.I can appreciate other peoples individuality and style.

My moms owns a dog groomer, and she thinks the pouf looks like a topnot on a poodle too, makes sense, I think the boufant came out in france and has been in and out of fashion for decades.

Wonder why people use alot of bobby pins? I use one little clip or a decorated pin.

ole gray mare
April 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I do a little poof to add balance. My hair has thinned on top and poofing it helps. Just a little poofiness also makes my bun look less harsh. (I already look pretty pissed off most days anyway, why add to the harshness?) :P

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I do a little poof to add balance. My hair has thinned on top and poofing it helps. Just a little poofiness also makes my bun look less harsh. (I already look pretty pissed off most days anyway, why add to the harshness?) :P

I know what you mean, I always get people saying stuff like "smile its not that bad", or my brother will say"who pissed in your cherrios?" . I dont mean to look that way, and Im usually in a pretty good mood, it does happen more when my hair is pulled back in a plain ponytail though.

Kittee
April 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Do you mean those girls who do something like this?
http://hilary-style.org/gallery/albums/concerts/stillmostwanted-tour/denver%5Bjuly16%5D/normal_004.jpg

I've seen some extreme ones that had me boggled lol. =)

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks Valorie your so nice for saying that.
I think the big crazy ones are strange too, some people like to take everything to the extreme to get attention I think. I hope you can get your mom to stop teasing her hair, that is soooo bad.No matter how much you like a style teasing is just not worth it.My hair says OUCH thinking about it.

Ycelong, thats sweet of you to say, it was easy to do for the wedding and I didnt have to pay a hairdresser:D, I agree the Stodgy Librarian look isnt appealing.lol

Jesse 58, Thanks for commenting on me and my guy. I think he is the cats meow.I didnt want to pay a hairdresser and thats the only thing I know how to do.lol. Im just happy I didnt mess up the curls, cause that was the hard part.

capelli lunghi
April 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Do you mean those girls who do something like this?
http://hilary-style.org/gallery/albums/concerts/stillmostwanted-tour/denver%5Bjuly16%5D/normal_004.jpg

I've seen some extreme ones that had me boggled lol. =)
I actually think that looks ok.. It is a touch high.. but I like it. I've tried to do something like that to even out my face width.. certainly nothing close to that high.. I just think I look better without the plastered to my head hair look. Making updos a little loose will give me a little poof.. I just see it as a way for me to elongate my face.. others get bangs to shorten their face or make it look not so round.. whatever. It works for some, some it doesn't.

birdiefu
April 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I think some modest height through styling can look great and natural. However, I do have issues with the 'pouf' that celebrities wear sometimes! It makes me think of that dinosaur with the crest going back, since an even amount of hair is poofed up high and pushed forwards while the rest isn't. Very odd to my eyes.

However, I will admit that I had 80's bangs (and perm!) going on back in the day. I spent my pre-teen mornings with a curling iron and hairspray, creating a gigantic bangs sculpture. And of course I look back and cringe that *anyone* could have thought that looked good! I'm sure in the future, people will look back and cringe at the '2000's pouf' as well.

birdiefu
April 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Here (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQ2xEh4ypY) is a video of making a pouf. It just looks too high all by it's lonesome with straight hair everywhere else. But the most cringe-worthy part to me was where she rubbed the leave-in into her ends like she was scrubbing stains out of her clothes!

Áine
April 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Truthfully, I try to avoid making judgments about other people's hair someone could easily do the same to mine. If those girls love the modified pompadour style, then more power to them. What they do with their hair does not affect me whatsoever.

busnutmedic
April 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I don't like it when I've had my hair tied down in a hanky (when it's dirty!) and it's super flat. So I like to have some volume. But not a crazy amount.

Bonnie

coppercurls
April 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
For me, I occasionally like a little poof. Like others have said, I think it depends on the facial structure, head shape etc. I have some seen some that were not pleasing to my eye ~tones of dark visible bobby pins in light hair, enough gel to coif an 80's metal band etc.~ but just as I am not here to decorate their world, they are not here to decorate mine.

Nat242
April 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I don't really have an opinion either way - like all fashions, there are some that it works for, and looks great, and on others it looks less than fabulous. But, if they like it, :shrug:

That said, I opened this thread up because my partner Tiny says the same thing. He's not one to comment on people's appearances, but he just can't get his head around this hairstyle - not so much the discreet volume enhancing look (which I think looks nice, and which I doubt he'd even notice), but the slicked and straightened hair plastered to the head except for one 3 inch high lump.

-- Natalie

Delila
April 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
... There is nothing wrong with having your own appearance and being yourself! Even without volume ;)
Sorry for :soapbox::o

I concur! :) My hair has almost nothing in the way of natural body, so any effort at a poof-like effect always wind up looking quite bizarre.

(and so called volumizing products? Paying money for products that create weirdly-poufy hair is a good thing?)

This is clearly a fashion trend that's not for me or my hair. Carry on. :)

manderly
April 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
3a type really tends toward this exact phenomenon. There are nondamaging ways to mitigate it without backcombing and spray.

I don't back comb and spray my hair. Just a little tuft of hair twisted and clipped like alaskanheart's photos.

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 10:24 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/dropkimaline/untitled-3.jpg

I dont know , I wasnt there, but what do you all think about the pouf style being around since the 50's 60's but maybe being redefined everytime it gets popular again?I know the Bouffant was popular, and it has changed slightly through the years but comes into style every few years.It seems like the pouf thing is a version of the bouffant less dramatic and easier done..

The picture on top is of Reese Witherspoon that played in Walk the line. I know its a modern movie , but I wonder if possibly the hairstyle is close to a popular style from the 50-60's?

Alaskanheart
April 18th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Here (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQ2xEh4ypY) is a video of making a pouf. It just looks too high all by it's lonesome with straight hair everywhere else. But the most cringe-worthy part to me was where she rubbed the leave-in into her ends like she was scrubbing stains out of her clothes!

It looks like her hair is pretty healthy and long. I dont think all the product is nessesary, or sleeping in it, but it doesnt look like its damaging her beautiful hair.

Sarahmoon
April 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Why would someone have to backcomb or add product to make a pouf?All you do is take your bangs and clip them up, I dont even use hairspray when I do it?Or are you talking about another style and I am confused?
I'm talking about the "poof" styles you usually see done by hairdressers, on tv or in magazines. 90% of the time these are done with hair spray and/or backcombing and often the result is a half an inch more height after spending over 15 minutes on it. Makes me feel :confused: I think LHCers are more of an exception with creating the hight in an all natural way.

As a natural (and proud) flat-hair I always wonder about this styles too...
For me it´s nothing desirable, but I don´t mind to see these styles from time to time.
I think it´s like every fashion, either you like it or not.

But it makes me a tad sad to read all over the board, that it get´s common to only_and_exclusively declare: hair needs volume to look good
Come on guys, there are 1a people around, too. And we are not a horrible eye-torture if you see us in the daylight ! Straight hair is as pretty as wavy or curly hair is. I will never have any sort of "volume" and to read that "flat" hair looks bad and needs more volume is not really nice lecture.
What is wrong with straight hair and / or round faces? Everyone of us looks unique and that´s good, variety is something wonderful. I actually like the combination of my round face, freckled big nose and straight not-voluminous sleek hair nothing to complain about and I like long, square or heart-shaped faces, wavy or curly hair of all colors, too.
There is nothing wrong with having your own appearance and being yourself! Even without volume
This forum doesn't have a reputation system, or I'd give you good reputation for this post :D

Lixie
April 19th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Truthfully, I try to avoid making judgments about other people's hair someone could easily do the same to mine. If those girls love the modified pompadour style, then more power to them. What they do with their hair does not affect me whatsoever.

Well said, Áine. :)

spidermom
April 19th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Finoriel, you sound so offended. Are you? Or am I reading something into your message? I don't think straight and sleek look bad at all; in fact, I covet that look. Some days my hair is so bushy and all over the place that I hate it. However, in the daily cycle of choosing a style, adding a little volume on top is an option - merely that, not a requirement. I think it can be a nice look. So can the opposite.

Finoriel
April 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Delilah and Sarahmoon got it right ;)
No, Iīm not offended, Iīll try to explain it better without beating the dead horse, letīs see.
Basically Iīve said the same as you did in your last post spidermom :D both looks are pretty.
But I generally missed the balance between the different styles / appearances on the forums lately. Seems like a "poofy-hype" is everywhere at the moment, opting out the other end of the hairtyping-scale.
Iīm o.k. with reading voluminous hair is pretty (it is pretty, who am I to argue ;) ) and it seems the extra created "poof" on top getīs fashionable again, which Iīm completely o.k. with. Fasion is fashion, sometimes you like it and sometimes not.
I only missed the part where people say that sleek hair is pretty, too. I donīt want to add volume and donīt think that a sleek bun with a round face makes me / or someone else look ugly.

The point in my previous post was, that it makes me sad (not offended) to read several posts per day, with contents like:
- how ugly round faces and sleek hair look in combination.
- how bad people feel about having those attributes and how they try to create volume to hide their "flaw".

:shrug: I dislike it when preconceptions like: sleek hair + round face = bad
are announced so often, with no one saying anything against it. So many people feel insecure and unhappy about their appearance, just because of this. You hear / read / see the same thing over and over and suddenly you start to believe itīs true and begin to worry about it. This is so wrong and makes me sad.
Just felt like it was time to stand up and say that having a round face and flat hair (like itīs called so nicely) does not look bad. Even if you donīt jump on the wagon with these new fashion and wear an Elvis poof to hide your "flaws". I wear sleek buns all the time and I have a round face and I feel good with this! Itīs not ugly in general, itīs just a matter of taste. I really hope there are several other members who donīt feel ugly with round faces and sleek hair and only had no chance to mention this.
Thatīs why I missed the other side of the coin and felt the need to comment on the aahs and oohs about the cuteprettypoofiness and uglyroundfaceflatness lately.

Itīs not that I donīt appreciate the right of everyone to like or dislike whatever they want, donīt get me wrong :)
But I would prefer when people would like what they like because they think itīs pretty by itself, not because it masks pretended "ugliness".
:flower:
Be proud of who and what your are, everyone is unique.
Hope that was a better explatation of my thoughts.

Mely
April 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
A little height might be nice on some people. But this is too much:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanmyrland/2420203318/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70311205@N00/2420202564

This woman was interviewed on CNN the other day -- she is a member of the FLDS group in Texas whose children were ceased. I think her hair would be quite nice if the poof wasn't so big. I'd like the dress too if it had a round, open neckline, maybe with some lace or something, instead of being so painfully plain.

Periwinkle
April 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
My hair is ridiculously thick and I spend my life trying to get less volume on top. :(

cobblersmaid
April 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
It seems very 60s ish to me, but I am not saying that is a bad thing. I have HUGE hair, so you won't catch me trying to add volume ;)

PatGear
April 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
When my hair is very clean, it has a little bit of natural pouf to it. Not very much, but some. When it's dirty or greasy, even just a little bit, the pouf is gone. So I try to recreate the pouf to make my hair looks cleaner!

jojo
April 19th, 2008, 03:37 PM
i love pouf on other people but my face is wayyy too long for them, they are cute on other people though

Lixie
April 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Wow, the titles of those photos linked are really catty. Such a serious situation, yet people still find the time to snark at others. :rolleyes:

(I realise these aren't your photos, so I'm not trying to get at you, Mely.)

Mely
April 19th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Wow, the titles of those photos linked are really catty. Such a serious situation, yet people still find the time to snark at others. :rolleyes:

(I realise these aren't your photos, so I'm not trying to get at you, Mely.)

Yes, they are catty. People are just mean I guess. I found the pictures with google--they were the only ones I could find. Likely the people making the catty comments would think my hair and clothes are freakish, too.

I wonder if these ladies are making that big poof on top of their head to compensate for not having bangs. Does anyone remember the 1980's, when bangs that stood straight up were in style? It was really a bad look.

Lixie
April 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I heard somewhere they're not allowed to cut their hair, so yes it could be an alternative to bangs.

So glad you didn't think I was getting at you! I tried to word that post as nicely as possible. :flowers:

Loviatar
April 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I have almost no volume on top, thought I have a bit of body wave - much more since I went conefree.

I am not a big fan of things like Elvis quiffs, Agyness Deyn's or Pink's quiffs.

However I do love the Gibson tuck and the kind of pompadour updo, it makes me think of women like Laura Ingalls Wilder, and with my almost-round face, they do accentuate my cheekbones and give me a bit more height. And at 5' 10" already, I like to think a bit more height is a good thing ;)

But I dont think that my hair down, with its lack of volume, is a bad thing. I was told all my life by my hairdressers that I need height on top, which then turned into a hairspray-and-backcombing session. Which always damaged my hair. So I guess, not so good, for me at least.

Just my two cents, I know others may find the Gibson tuck and pomp updos 'old-fashioned' - but I like old-fashioned things :D

Alaskanheart
April 19th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Delilah and Sarahmoon got it right ;)
No, I´m not offended, I´ll try to explain it better without beating the dead horse, let´s see.
Basically I´ve said the same as you did in your last post spidermom :D both looks are pretty.
But I generally missed the balance between the different styles / appearances on the forums lately. Seems like a "poofy-hype" is everywhere at the moment, opting out the other end of the hairtyping-scale.
I´m o.k. with reading voluminous hair is pretty (it is pretty, who am I to argue ;) ) and it seems the extra created "poof" on top get´s fashionable again, which I´m completely o.k. with. Fasion is fashion, sometimes you like it and sometimes not.
I only missed the part where people say that sleek hair is pretty, too. I don´t want to add volume and don´t think that a sleek bun with a round face makes me / or someone else look ugly.

The point in my previous post was, that it makes me sad (not offended) to read

several posts per day, with contents like:

- how ugly round faces and sleek hair look in combination.
- how bad people feel about having those attributes and how they try to create volume to hide their "flaw".

:shrug: I dislike it when preconceptions like: sleek hair + round face = bad
are announced so often, with no one saying anything against it. So many people feel insecure and unhappy about their appearance, just because of this. You hear / read / see the same thing over and over and suddenly you start to believe it´s true and begin to worry about it. This is so wrong and makes me sad.
Just felt like it was time to stand up and say that having a round face and flat hair (like it´s called so nicely) does not look bad. Even if you don´t jump on the wagon with these new fashion and wear an Elvis poof to hide your "flaws". I wear sleek buns all the time and I have a round face and I feel good with this! It´s not ugly in general, it´s just a matter of taste. I really hope there are several other members who don´t feel ugly with round faces and sleek hair and only had no chance to mention this.
That´s why I missed the other side of the coin and felt the need to comment on the aahs and oohs about the cuteprettypoofiness and uglyroundfaceflatness lately.

It´s not that I don´t appreciate the right of everyone to like or dislike whatever they want, don´t get me wrong :)
But I would prefer when people would like what they like because they think it´s pretty by itself, not because it masks pretended "ugliness".
:flower:
Be proud of who and what your are, everyone is unique.
Hope that was a better explatation of my thoughts.

I think I get what you are saying, but I think you might be getting the context of what others are saying wrong.

For instance, You say it makes you sad when others want to add volume to their hair because they dont like it flat.Key word is THEIR, noone said YOU need to add volume to your hair.

As far as I can tell people wear their hair how they want, if they want to have volume to thin flat hair and are looking for ways to accomplish this, its their buissiness and they dont seserve to be judged for it, I found this post to be actually kinda rude in the first place, because someone was asking about volume in another post, so the OP made this post to criticize people who want to acomplish height.

I generally think its a good idea to keep my judgement to myself about they way other people look , I dont like my hair to be flat because I think it looks bad on ME, while I have seen sleek hair look absolutely beautiful on others.While it can take some hours of heat styling to acomplish the sleek look, It can take others lots of time and heat damage to get volume. On LHC Trying to fine ways to add some height or volume, or sleekness in more natural less evasive ways is perfectly acceptable to me, and nothing to get all offended, and judgemental about.

Also apart of being unique is the ability to use your creativity to look the way you want.

Personal preference is all we are talking about here.

Alaskanheart
April 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm talking about the "poof" styles you usually see done by hairdressers, on tv or in magazines. 90% of the time these are done with hair spray and/or backcombing and often the result is a half an inch more height after spending over 15 minutes on it. Makes me feel :confused: I think LHCers are more of an exception with creating the hight in an all natural way.

Okay I see what you are saying, yes I think movie stars and models do backcomb and all that too. I think they spend hours doing their hair and make-up , afterall its part of their job to look "perfect". Being on LHC, I thought it was safe to assume that noone here would put their hair through that just to add a bit of height, I thought the post was regarding Members of LHC, asking in other forums how to achieve the look.:)

jojo
April 19th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I have almost no volume on top, thought I have a bit of body wave - much more since I went conefree.

I am not a big fan of things like Elvis quiffs, Agyness Deyn's or Pink's quiffs.

However I do love the Gibson tuck and the kind of pompadour updo, it makes me think of women like Laura Ingalls Wilder, and with my almost-round face, they do accentuate my cheekbones and give me a bit more height. And at 5' 10" already, I like to think a bit more height is a good thing ;)

But I dont think that my hair down, with its lack of volume, is a bad thing. I was told all my life by my hairdressers that I need height on top, which then turned into a hairspray-and-backcombing session. Which always damaged my hair. So I guess, not so good, for me at least.

Just my two cents, I know others may find the Gibson tuck and pomp updos 'old-fashioned' - but I like old-fashioned things :D
off topic but Agyness Deyn is from my villiage! http://www.askmen.com/women/models/agyness-deyn/index.html

Solitude
April 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM
i love pouf on other people but my face is wayyy too long for them, they are cute on other people though

Agree with you there. I'm a no poof person too. Seems hair cutters/stylists like poof on top and generally style that way no matter the face.

groque
April 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I just like how it looks on straight hair no matter the face shape. something about it always looks nice.

Katze
April 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm glad someone posted on this topic! I've got a love/hate thing for "bigger" styles too.

I have to agree on Alaskanheart's pics - you are cute, and the 'do is very cute!

On the one hand, there is a student of mine...she's Polish, and has a look that's a bit different from the German students...fake tan, nails, and eyelashes...and this BIG THING on the back of her head that looks like a false front or an alien head. Weird and crazy. The best I can tell is it's backcombed and sprayed. She has BSL, dyed, straight hair that hangs down from this construction in an odd way.

As a 35 year old woman who can't be bothered to be the height of fashion, I would never sport such a look.

On the other hand there are some ways of doing it that look classy, retro, cute. I hate to admit it, but despite the bony arms and missing teeth, Amy Winehouse does "have something." I am again too old to be that punk (and my tattoos are usually hidden) but do like to be unique and a bit interesting.

I've got frizzy, messy hair. No matter how close to straight it is, it will never lie flat and sleek like my sister's. There are some days when I can't tame it, no matter what. If I had 1a hair, it would be so much easier, because i could make it lie smooth.

As it is, I've got to go with what I've got, and playing up my hair's messiness to get "bigger" and it looks GOOD on me. Unlike trying to make my hair something that it's not - smooth - adding volume in the front or on top flatters my round face and draws attention to my eyes. I think a 'do like Alaskanheart's can even be worn everyday.

Here's an old pic of me with a slight bit of volume up top - I've been doing more lately, but lost my hair rat - the more I experiment with these kind of 'dos, the more I like getting more volume and size - within reason, given who I am:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2907/selfportrait2bh3.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=selfportrait2bh3.jpg)

To each her own - I don't recommend backcombing, but hey, if you want volume, and can get it with your hair without damaging it, why is that so wrong? If you want to use a hair rat, why is that any different from a sock bun? Personally, I'd much rather use a hair rat to poof up my hair in the back than bulk out my bun with a sock - it's a matter of personal preference, no?

I like that this is a style that works for my type and length of hair.

Riot Crrl
April 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I wish to revise my answer.

I love sleek hair, and when I wear mine up (put up damp), I can get this. No need for pumping up the top at all, I just like it pulled straight back. I like this look on others too.

When it's down is where I run into problems. It's plastered to my head down to the ears, and then gets huge below that. It's the curse of the 3a, lol.

So when I try to volumize my roots, I am not seeking to create a Kelly Clarkson do, or a pompador or fauxhauk. I just want it to look somewhat in proportion to the rest of my hair, a little.

DaveDecker
May 4th, 2008, 11:23 AM
A little height might be nice on some people. But this is too much:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanmyrland/2420203318/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70311205@N00/2420202564

This woman was interviewed on CNN the other day -- she is a member of the FLDS group in Texas whose children were ceased. I think her hair would be quite nice if the poof wasn't so big. I'd like the dress too if it had a round, open neckline, maybe with some lace or something, instead of being so painfully plain.

Yesterday's local newspaper had a little blurb about the hairstyles worn by the women in the FLDS group. Apparently, some women in Manhattan are wanting to mimic the look. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, they say. :)

With regards to the larger topic at discussion here, I personally like best what comes naturally with one's own natural texture, and not so much contrivances (such as the several-inches-tall poufed-up fringe popular in the 1980's and into the early 1990's).

Tangles
May 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I have a close to oval face shape--a bit of a squarish jaw, mind you, and perhaps a bit too long. A small amount of volume on top makes me look infinitely better--not because I need extra length to my face, but because flathead isn't flattering on anyone (except, perhaps, if you have straight hair and a PERFECTLY PERFECTLY oval face with perfect features like Olivia Hussey in Romeo and Juliet. then it will look good.)

girlcat36
May 4th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have to come out and say that I find back combing ala 1960's a little freakish and somewhat alien-like. If you really look at the pics posted on the other thread(the one with the thing you put on your head under your hair) those chicks look like aliens!
I love hair in it's natural state. That being said, there is nothing wrong with a SLIGHT poof to balance things out......

prosperina
May 4th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Now, hey, folks, let's not diss the severe librarian bun! :patrol: (I specifically read criticism of it, can't find it, but read it.) I wear it everyday, and yes, I'm in my twenties. I think I rock that look, but then again I'm comfortable and happy with my face and features. If you're not, you can't wear it.

That said, I like some poof sometimes, but I admit some people overdo it, like Katze's student. I think my hair naturally has a bit of poof even in the most severe styles. :shrug:

Gecko
May 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
When I put the front of my hair back I like it to be a little poofed as opposed to being flat because I think it makes me look funny. Or something like that. Sometimes I just leave it how it turns out though, whether that's poofy or not. Actually I like the look of a wide, tall pouf, but it's too dramatic for me to wear.

doodlesmart
May 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Now, hey, folks, let's not diss the severe librarian bun! :patrol: (I specifically read criticism of it, can't find it, but read it.) I wear it everyday, and yes, I'm in my twenties. I think I rock that look, but then again I'm comfortable and happy with my face and features. If you're not, you can't wear it.

It might have been me who you thought was dissing it (I talked about a "stern bun look"). I'd like to pop in and say that I rock the severe librarian look too (I'm 22), but I know lots of people here hate it. Depending on facial structure, it can make some people look very stern.

Personally, I hate poof on myself and really like the sleek, elegant librarian look. I like people to talk to my face, not my hair or my boobs (or any other part of me, but those are the big ones). I also think it is possible to pull of the librarian without looking stern. I do the pulled back thing all the time and my students think I'm very approachable (just got back evals the other day, so I know).

Anyway the point of all of this, was to apologize if I was the one who offended you, and also to let you know that I too rock the librarian. :insert librarian smiley here:

DaveDecker
May 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM
FWIW (very little, I know) and IMO, I think the "severe" librarian look can be really hot. That's all I'm saying.

snowbird
May 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
hm, as someone who cuts their hair to be as big as possible (though no backcombing! not needed!); I suppose it's just a personal preference. With my texture, I'm just 'going with the flow' or so I believe. perhaps if I had straight hair I would just let it do it's thing as well.

All of that aside, the style of 'pin back the bangs with a bit of pouf of top' does look odd to me; but it's a bit hypocritical as my bangs are huge due to the curl and I like them. :silly:

doodlesmart
May 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM
hm, as someone who cuts their hair to be as big as possible (though no backcombing! not needed!); I suppose it's just a personal preference. With my texture, I'm just 'going with the flow' or so I believe. perhaps if I had straight hair I would just let it do it's thing as well.

All of that aside, the style of 'pin back the bangs with a bit of pouf of top' does look odd to me; but it's a bit hypocritical as my bangs are huge due to the curl and I like them. :silly:

You're hair is awesome!! :D

prosperina
May 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Nah, I wasn't offended. And I don't know if you said it or not. I was teasing. Probably could have inserted a smiley. :) I really like the guy with the club though. :D

Katurday
May 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
As someone with a long face and a high forehead, I try to add as little extra length to my face as possible.
My sister attempted to give me a little bang poof once...Disaster.
She loves anything "in style", no matter how terrible it looks.

jesamyn
May 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
If I wear my hair slicked back, I think look like a boiled onion, even with the high cheekbones. I opt for long bangs, myself. If left to their own devices, my bangs curl. (They failed to get the message that the rest of my hair is 2b.) I think the spirals are adorable on me, and I will stick with them. I also think the softening of an otherwise severe style just plain suits me as a person better.

That being said, I sometimes envy those who can wear the slicked-back buns. It's dramatic and lovely.

I do not like the artificial high back-combed poofiness, especially accompanied by naked bobby pins, but to each their own. Everyone is entitled to their own version of aesthetics.

Alaskanheart, the pictures were beautiful!

Saoirse
May 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
FWIW (very little, I know) and IMO, I think the "severe" librarian look can be really hot. That's all I'm saying.

:rockerdud, Dave!

may1em
May 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I do the pouf sometimes. I never, ever, backcomb, though. Like a half-back, it's a good second-day hair trick for me (the waves/wurls still look okay in the back, but the top is flattened out). I have a large head. And my features are fairly pronounced (My aunt once said my face had a lot of "structure" to it). A little height softens it. Usually I take a section roughly corresponding to the corners of my forehead, separate, twist once, push forward, and pin. After that, I'll either leave it down or put it into a bun.

For the record, my hair is 2c/3a/F/ii/iii and 29 inches long, at last measure. When it was shorter (between shoulder and APL) I'd do the poof in the front combined with a ponytail or messy bun. Worked great. :)

UP Lisa
August 22nd, 2013, 01:33 PM
I have a round face and very fine hair that is also thin in the front. I also wear my hair up all the time. Any poof I could get would look better than the "flat to my head" look I have otherwise when it is pulled back.

oddelabop
August 22nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
It's one of my go to styles ;) suits me very well. Although you have to have the right face shape for it.

Ashenputtel
August 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
Like it has being said before it depends of your face shape. My shorter layers in front are an obstacle to buns in general. I either braid it in the front or I very slightly pouf it out as I pin it. I have around face shape I can use a little volume.

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 02:04 PM
I guess it depends on a person how the poof will look, but usually that is a “formal?” style type.

Firefox7275
August 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
I have a mini quiff, it's not huge and I work with my waves when pinning it. It keeps my bangs out of my face and my pin head needs the volume!

teddygirl
August 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
I just love big flowy hair. Long hair can look a little drab around the face, so changing it up with a pompadour orbeehive type style is a nice change.

Kelli Kat
August 22nd, 2013, 03:18 PM
I don't do pouf. I'm all about the severe librarian bun. Think Lilith on Cheers. You can see the comb marks :)

MadameV
August 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
I used to hate the pouf too, until I started growing my hair out this time. When I had it long before I didn't have bangs, and now I've realized that with bangs (they're now chin-length, but they were originally bangs), stubborn roots, and my severe widow's peak the pouf is just the shape of my hair. If I try to scrape it all back flat, it will pouf on its own. It tends to get taller and swirly-er throughout the day, then eventually fall back into a part, and then my bangs fall out. My hair just points forward. Literally. I shaved my head once and when it grew back I had to wear headbands across my hairline because the hair stuck out straight until it was close to two inches long.

I hated it at first, as I used to be hyper-judgemental of the pouf on others, and I used to try to fight it. At this point, though, I've come to love the pompadour-mohawk look I get from a Dutch braid so much I've considered dyeing my bangs to emphasize them. Kind of a "If I have to look weird, I'm going to look HELLA weird" thought process. The only reason I haven't is fear of damage.

Now it doesn't drive me crazy to see it on other people. I tend to think "Well, maybe her bangs just DO that. Mine do."

CurlyCap
August 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Two reasons:

1. I have curly hair and don't understand a lack of volume. As much volume without breaking my curl is always better.

2. I'm fat with a round face. If my hair is flat, it looks bizarre, like too small earrings or other tiny accessories.

chen bao jun
August 22nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
It goes in and out of style.
I don't pay a lot of attention because my hair naturally does the pouf. It's thick and curly and I can't ever get it to be flat and smooth, there's jsut always volume on top. When its brushed down, its got to add 1/2 to one inch to my height and when its loose more than that. since I can't help it, I don't worry about it, although during times when the pouf is out of style, I look -- out of style.

I don't know that it has so much to do with your face shape whether it looks good or not. To me, you solve face shape problems with earrings. My face probably looks unbalanced because its a roundish heart shape with all this pouf all around making it look even bigger, so I wear earrings that sort of balance it out. The right pair of earrings (its different for everyone) can balance out anything. Spend a few hours experimenting some day with it, its worth it (and doesn't do damage like either back combing to bring out the pouf or furious brushing with gel to try to get rid of the pouf if you happen to have it.)

ladylowtide
August 22nd, 2013, 05:31 PM
I like the poof when it isn't full out texas style. I want to poof, I think I'm going to get a bumpit.

grungy haze
August 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
I'm not a fan of the pouf. I kind of like the 60s beehive look, but the damage and maintenance to maintain such a thing seems ridiculous (not to mention damaging). I also really dislike the scene look with the giant teased, hair-sprayed, flat ironed, and dyed to death hair. Natural volume and beach hair look nice to me though. Not overly intentional. I just prefer the look of carefree styles these days.

Mesmerise
August 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
I tend to prefer a bit of height at the top too! For years I used to sort of blowdry it up at the front to give more height... I don't know, I think it balances out my face better or something? It looks better anyway... (I'm not saying it's REALLY high, just a bit!) My only issue is that it seems to have thinned out around the front, and wearing it like that shows my hairline, so I'm experimenting with bangs...

Komao
August 22nd, 2013, 08:59 PM

I really like the look. Bridget Bardot inspired. I think it's a fun look for certain occasions. I saw a video where a girl does hers with no teasing and therefore, no damage to hair, that's the only way I'll do it to my hair.
I think making the top smooth, after attaining desired height and finishing the look is important. Bardot was always known for big smokey eyes and more of a matte makeup with pale pinkish lipstick. I do think some women do a better job of making pouf than others and you want no scalp showing, it should all be blended but if done right, very sexy. My man loves it:crush:

tigerlily.
August 22nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
I love Bridget Bardot's hair! I love big hair on top, as it makes my hair look thicker. At the moment I use a product that is a root boost powder but it feels like glue, as I've stopped backcombing. I'd love to know the video you saw to make damage free volume?

AliD
August 22nd, 2013, 11:17 PM
I was really wondering if I was the only one that found this weird

kdaniels8811
August 23rd, 2013, 04:45 AM
Because flat hair is not flattering to some of us - like me. I pouf the front of my hair to give myself some badly needed volume. Those who don't like poufed hair probably have thick hair, mine is very thin and needs some help..

NuclearApple
August 23rd, 2013, 05:07 AM
Poofy hair looks nice on me but I'm not a big fan of it,I totally love super straight hair but obiouvsly I've never been able to recreate the style :-(

UP Lisa
August 23rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
I agree. I just can't seem to get mine to look right.

Because flat hair is not flattering to some of us - like me. I pouf the front of my hair to give myself some badly needed volume. Those who don't like poufed hair probably have thick hair, mine is very thin and needs some help..

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
I don't get it why do people want big hair. The 80's didn't thrill me that much.

Komao
August 23rd, 2013, 08:23 AM
I love Bridget Bardot's hair! I love big hair on top, as it makes my hair look thicker. At the moment I use a product that is a root boost powder but it feels like glue, as I've stopped backcombing. I'd love to know the video you saw to make damage free volume?

Glad to share. I have wavy hair. I curl it naturally so I have more texture in hair and I use some hair spray, usually. I don't always put the half up in elastic as sometimes when undoing hairdo mine can get twisted so I brush smoothly, give pony tail part a couple of good twists, push up and pin in place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLpGV4JYU8

Article about Bardot's Hair

When New York Fashion Week rolls around (admittedly it seems to occur more than twice a year), we look forward to seeing the trends we'll be clamoring for in department stores and salons. Designers, hairstylists and makeup artists may aspire to stir us with something au courant, however, they're inspiration tends to harken back to the past. And at the spring 2013 shows, Sixties sex symbol Brigitte Bardot was the standout muse.

Backstage at Erin Fetherston and Rachel Zoe, beauty teams transformed models into mini versions of the French model and actress -- blow drying, teasing and curling hair until they achieved Bardot's signature volume. Though lead stylist Odile Gilbert roughed things up a bit at Fetherston by adding a zipper headband, then taking a piece of hair from the front and tucking it into the open zipper. The interesting accessory instantly reminded us of the bodacious bouffants seen on the fall 2012 runways of Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta, where satin ribbons accentuated the sophisticated hairstyle.

But what about Bardot's hair makes it so popular nowadays? According to hairstylist Sascha Breuer, it's a way for you to show off the best of both worlds: volume and gorgeous hair. "It's very sexy and can be reinvented and adjusted to your texture," he adds.

Before you grab a handful of bobby pins and a rattail comb, keep in mind these tricks from Breuer on how to pump up the volume no matter your hair texture:

Straight: Enhance the volume at the top of your head, starting at the temple and tapering off at the back. Take the horse shoe size section of your head (temples to crown) and backcomb the roots.

Wavy: This is the ultimate Brigitte Bardot texture, but the best way to pull off this look is by creating volume at the back of your head.

Curly: Take small sections from the temple aread and twist, roll or braid these pieces backwards. Secure with an elastic holder or clip to create a gorgeous detail within your curls.

Breuer's final pro tip: Don't use too much hairspray. "The more hairspray, the more lacquered you will look. This tends to date the hairdo. Effortless is key to keep it chic and fresh."

If your not familiar with Bardot and want to see more hair styles check out google images for her!

Thunderroad
August 27th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I need a little height on top for balance. I have naturally big, pouffy hair, which can blow up to enormous, Jersey-girl proportions with absolutely no encouragement whatsoever. In order to balance the width at the sides, I need some height at the top, to avoid looking like Larry from the Three Stooges :). I don't backcomb or use hairspray, but I do use root-lifter and blow-dry at the root the piece above my bangs. I flip it over my head to the opposite side to create some modest height.

alyanna
August 27th, 2013, 08:33 PM

Oh please tell me how to mitigate this????

MasCat
August 28th, 2013, 08:29 AM
My theory is that those poofy and big hairstyles are a way of making your hair look thick and full - thus making you the healthy specimen :)

I sometimes pin my hair so it has more volume. And sometimes I just comb it flat. When it's freshly washed it has more volume.

BTW - couple pages back there is a mention of a Polish girl that looked horrible in the poster's opinion. I don't find underlining her nationality a nice thing ;)

intrigued
August 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I don't think "volume on top" or "big hair" is necessarily a bad thing, but when people go out of their way to get that one poof thing right on top/in the front... I've never seen one I thought looked good. Personal preference, of course.