PDA

View Full Version : Mother of the Groom Hair Style for Wedding

Cindi Eponabri
September 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
My son and his girlfriend (the daughter of my heart) are finally getting married.

In the midst of everything else, I need to think about what I'm going to wear and how I should do my hair...

There colors are black, red, pink, cream, and silver. I'm making all of the flowers for the wedding using those colors.

I'm thinking of wearing a long black dress and coat, and I have a red hair that I'm going to decorate with silver ribbon and a few of the flowers, and was thinking of wearing my hair down (tailbone length), but I'm open to other ideas.

The wedding is in November.....

kdaniels8811
September 21st, 2009, 03:54 AM
I think down and decorated with ribbons sounds lovely!

Cindi Eponabri
September 21st, 2009, 04:13 AM
Oops, I typed that wrong.. that should be red hat...

But now I'm thinking that hat is going to uncomfortable to wear at the wedding, reception and after party...

And since I will be serving food, I may have to wear it up.

Gabriel
September 21st, 2009, 06:08 AM
What about an upside down french braid and then with the leftover hair at the top, wind the ribbons through and pin securely hiding the pins with some of the flowers?

WavyGirl
September 21st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Are the bride's or bridesmaid's dresses black? I only ask, because if not someone might get the impression you're not happy about the wedding. :shrug:

If you're wearing a hat some sort of chingon might be nice or a modified southern tease (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg&feature=fvw) (just start by wrapping hair around fingers to use length then hold that against head before starting the first fold). I don't know how well behaved your hair is in the looser styles.

I also like this style (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q5cReYtlXM), although it would not stand out so much on your, much longer, hair it is still a nice way to show off the length while keeping it contained. It's not just for little girls! I wore it to a party not long ago and everyone was saying all night what a lovely style it is. (I secured mine with a barrette clipped just above the flip so that the braids laid much flatter against my head.) That poster also has lots of other easy updos so check out her page.

Have a lovely time.

Lemur_Catta
September 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
Well I don't know about the customs in your country, but here no one would ever wear a black dress at a wedding, expecially at her son's wedding :D Maybe it is different where you live, but if for example the bride comes from a different culture (maybe just her ancestors) she could think it is not appropriate.
About the hair, I would also look at what the bride is wearing. If the bride has long hair and she is going to wear it down, then you should wear it up, so that you don't draw too much attention with your long locks (I don't think there will be many women with such a long and beautiful hair :D) but if she wears it up you can wear it up, just not in a "complicated" style that would draw attention on you.
As far as I know, the rule is that the bride has to be the centre of attention during her wedding, so I would do a simple updo, maybe a french twist (it is always very elegant, but I don't know if you can do that with your hair, maybe it is too long?) or a sock bun.

freecelt
September 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Maybe a french or robe braid along the sides of your head to meet in the back and leave half down so you get the effect of the length but have some hair out of the way?

heidihug
September 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
It's perfectly acceptable in the States to wear black to a wedding, especially if that is one of the colors of the wedding party.

I vote for wearing it up, especially if you are going to be around food. You have lovely hair, btw, anything you choose will be wonderful, I'm sure.

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I also vote for wearing your hair up, if you're going to be near the food. And I also think you should find out how the bride is wearing her hair and take your cues from her. It's her day and she should have the most attention. But there are plenty of wonderfully elegant and simple hairstyles that would be perfectly appropriate and look beautiful on you. The French twist comes readily to mind - here is a video by CinnamonHair of a modified version for longer hair like yours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw)

Her hair is knee-length but it works well for my length also, which is classic, so I see no reason it should not work for tailbone-length too. :)

I also see nothing wrong with wearing black to a wedding - especially if that is one of the colors the wedding party has chosen. I'm sure that whatever you do will look beautiful on you. I hope you and your family enjoy the special day - congratulations to them! :flower:

embee
September 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
How wonderful that your DS is marrying the daughter of your heart! May it always be so. :)

If she knows she is that to you, then anything you choose to do will be ok.

I wish to goodness my hair had been this long when my DD married. Instead I was at the "awkward" length where I could pull it back but not get it to stay up, the front parts were so wispy and too short.

You may want your hair under control especially around food and perhaps there will be many candles as well?