PDA

View Full Version : How to make curls stay in hair that refuses to hold curls?

CaityBear
September 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
My hair does not hold curls. I have never been able to get my hair to hold curls. My bf's cousin used a curling iron one time on my hair (I don't use any heat styling agents anymore) and she was able to make the curls hold without a problem. No clue how. She didn't use any product.

Anyway, I want to try rag curls and I'm just wondering what kind of stuff I can use in my hair to help hold the curl that is not a conventional hair styling product? I dislike using those products in my hair. Is there anything I can use? Right now I'm just thinking of misting down my hair with aloe vera gel mixed with water to dampen it before putting the rags in. Anything else I can use/do?

ericthegreat
September 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Well, these aren't curls but they are the next best thing: waves.

On the occasion that I will want natural looking waves for the next day, I will CO like I do every night and after I rinse that out I will pour a small dab of the same conditioner that I just COed with, rub it smoothly between my hands and apply it from my neck all the way down to my ends. Then, I will comb my hair out with my wide tooth and part my hair in the middle like I always do and then split my hair in two halves and wear my hair in two pigtail braids. I'll sleep with the braids all night and I'll take them out maybe 11AM the next morning, I make sure my hair has fully air-dried into natural braid waves before taking out the braids.

Roseate
September 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
If you want to stay completely natural, you could try a flaxseed gel. There are recipes around here, or I have some I bought from etsy shop called "Botticelli Botanicals (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6934569)" that I love.

If you want unnatural but tried-and-true, you could try a setting lotion. (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Lotta-Body-Setting-Lotion/LTABDY1,default,pd.html) It's an old-school styling product designed for wet/damp sets; it's cone and alcohol free and doesn't dry crunchy at all.

heatherdazy
September 21st, 2009, 12:17 AM
If you set your hair while it's completely wet and don't take it out until it's completely dry, it will STAY. :)

Rivanariko
September 21st, 2009, 01:01 AM
My hair doesn't hold heat styling unless you COAT it with hair spray and product. Braid waves, however, stay for days and hardly diminish. I haven't tried rag curls yet, but I think they would have a good reaction with my hair.

Aloe Vera gel seems to help me get more dramatic waves. I don't dilute it with anything, just squeeze some into my palm, smooth it onto my length and then finger comb it through to make sure it's coated. If I do it when it's slightly damp and then put it up in a bun, I'll usually get really awesome bun waves that will stay forever. If I put it up when it's completely wet, it will never dry, but if I wait until it's mostly dry, I get good results.

CaityBear
September 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
Thank you! I'll try some of those to start with.

I just wanted to dilute aloe vera gel with water because I was going to spritz down my hair with water, and figured if I added aloe vera gel that might help it stay. So we'll see to start with if that helps any.

CaityBear
September 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Well, I tried it and it looks awesome. It has started coming out in a couple hours though. :( I used aloe vera gel...so we'll see next time. I'll maybe wet my hair more and try a leave-in conditioner/aloe vera gel spray to help wet down my hair.

I definately think I'll be trying rag curls again. :)

motormuffin
September 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
My hair would NEVER curl with a curling iron when it was long before. It would fall right out no matter what I used. I can only get them to stay if I do them wet and let them totally dry that way...like with rag curls.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I find that the less you comb or mess with it, the longer the curl will hold. Just let it hang in ringlets.