PDA

View Full Version : Antique Swim Cap

LittleOrca
September 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
My mother came home from a drive with my stepdad and gave me some gifts. One of them was this:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Z%20Misc%20Gallery/IMG_9195.jpg

She told me it was an antique swim cap, and it certain looked old. :) It smells like smoke, so it's gross to wear for too long, but I had to take some pictures. lol

fluffybunny
September 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM
How cute! I had a swim cap covered with rubber daisies when I was a girl and thought it was the most gorgeous thing ever. Definitely more feminine than a silicone speedo.

Gingevere
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have a photo of my mom as a girl when she was on a synchronized swim team. They all wore caps just like that!

friskybiznus
September 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM
very cool!!

clairenewcastle
September 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
I suspect I am really showing my age for that is exactly how I remember swimcaps to be when I was at school! Loved how you entitled the thread "Antique".....I wonder now if this means I'm old and valuable???????

heatherdazy
September 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Very cute... and smart! Chlorinated pools are awful, especially public ones!

LittleOrca
September 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM
I suspect I am really showing my age for that is eaxactly how I remember swimcaps to be when I was at school! Loved how you entitled the thread "Antique".....I wonder now if this means I'm old and valuable???????

No idea how much value it has, but it's cute either way. :)

embee
September 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM
Gah! Antique???? I must be really *ancient* then. ;)

But I remember swim caps like that, we weren't allowed in the pool with long hair (anything other than boy-cut) cause the hair would clog up the filter system. After cleaning out my tub drain I can surely agree with that, cleaning other people's long hair out of a pool filter would be pure squik.

Actually, that cap is pretty fancy and I never had one that pretty. Mine were all plain with some sort of light texture pattern all over. Anything but attractive. We all lusted for fancy ones with flowers!

Looks cute on you, too!

cindy58
September 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe soaking in vinegar water for a bit would take the smoke smell out. I save my empty spice bottles to use for cookie sugars, and soaking in vinegar water even took the Oregano smell out of a plastic jar.

Madame J
September 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
My grandma had a swim cap like that, only it was yellow and had daisy-type flowers and dots on it instead of roses. But similarly pretty. She used to take me to the pool a few times a week over the summer so we could swim laps.

That one is very pretty, and there's probably some way to get the smoke smell out of it if you want to wear it more often.