PDA

View Full Version : The opposite of shrinkage

Heavenly Locks
September 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I wonder, how long does your hair get when it is wet? Right now I am between BSL and Waist (midback?) when dry and when it's wet my longest strands brush waist. So, maybe an inch or so of stretch when wet. I always joke and say it's my future hair, like 2-4 months in the future. haha!

What's the average?

(I bet it's QUITE dramatic for curlies!)

WelshLocks
September 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
My hair is sitting at BSL when dry and at Midback when wet.It makes me really mad!I want it to be Midback when dry!I guess I just have to wait.It is really interesting to see though.

TheEndlessOcean
September 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
My longest strands are right around 16" pulled straight (slightly shorter wet, as they're still slightly wavy), and 11-12" dry.

Whimsical wind
September 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
My hair is shorter when wet. :confused:

pineapples
September 20th, 2009, 09:14 PM
so is mine:poot:

Wanderer09
September 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
In its curly state it's at 28 inches. My profile measurements are always done on wet hair or hair that's pulled straight, and it's 31 inches (or 30.5 now, I just did a small trim). So it looks like there's a two-inch difference.

ElizaSea
September 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Mine is almost at the top of my buttcrack (Sorry it's kind of crude. I don't know a better term! Buttsmile? Hineygrin? Is that tailbone? I don't know) when it's wet, and when it's dry and curly it's at elbow length (when my arms are at my sides). I'd say waist, but I'm terribly low waisted.

Quixii
September 20th, 2009, 09:58 PM
My hair is a few inches from classic (it seems to vary, for whatever reason) when soaking wet, and always stubbornly at just about tailbone when dry.

dernhelm
September 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Dry and curly= a little more than an inch or so past collarbone

Soaking wet= lower armpit length

I have crazy shrinkage due to curls! :afro:

noelgirl
September 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have a difference of about 2-3 inches. When it's wet it's just about hip length, but dry it's at waist.

dernhelm
September 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Really? That's something I've never heard of before. Why is your hair shorter when it's wet? :) Is your hair porous or non-porous, do you think that has something to do with it?

ericthegreat
September 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Huh. My hair is pin straight, like it naturally dries like I had it blown out straight.
But even my hair gets even longer when I get it wet. Every night I CO, my hair stretches. When my hair is dry its to the middle of my butt, but when I rinse it my hair comes all the way down and covers my butt completely. And when I bend back in the shower, my ends touch the back of my knees! I love it.

Aries_jb
September 20th, 2009, 10:21 PM
When my hair is dry, it's shoulder blade length, and when it's soaking wet it is about an inch or two past waist. Crazy shrinkage! I have to grow to about tailbone length in order to have BSL length curls when dry.

natorade
September 20th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I wonder, how long does your hair get when it is wet? Right now I am between BSL and Waist (midback?) when dry and when it's wet my longest strands brush waist. So, maybe an inch or so of stretch when wet. I always joke and say it's my future hair, like 2-4 months in the future. haha!

What's the average?

(I bet it's QUITE dramatic for curlies!)

I don't know why but my seems longer when it's dry as compared to when it is wet.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM
in the shower my hair lands far past my waist and almost hip! but when dry I am at Mid-Back to WL. My waves are often large waves and corkscrew curls which take up a lot of length and give me a lot of body so I shrink about a minimum of 3"

Ryanne
September 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
When my hair is dry, it's waist. Mostly hip and tailbone, when wet.

Heidi_234
September 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
My longest hairs are an inch or so shy from BCL (in case anybody wondered about my siggy countdown thingy :D), and the bulk of my hair is inch or two below waist. Tee-hee!

Heidi_234
September 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Really? That's something I've never heard of before. Why is your hair shorter when it's wet? :) Is your hair porous or non-porous, do you think that has something to do with it?
Maybe it had to do with the fact that straight hair falls just down when dry, but adheres to the body when wet? Also I noticed some straighties actually get slight stringy waves when their hair is wet/damp.

ericthegreat
September 21st, 2009, 12:56 AM
Maybe it had to do with the fact that straight hair falls just down when dry, but adheres to the body when wet? Also I noticed some straighties actually get slight stringy waves when their hair is wet/damp.

Well then they aren't true straighties then. Truly pin straight hair in the 1a category is stubbornly straight.............no matter how hard you try to scrunch your hair it can never hold a natural curl or wave. But especially when 1a hair is wet, it really gets super pin straight and really shiny from the water which adds to the sleekness.

Someone whose hair forms waves when wet would more accurately be described as having slightly wavy hair in the 1c to 2a range. Such a person could quite easily relax their hair and make it look straight if they frequently comb it out or brush it out as their hair dries. However, they still technically have wavy hair because if they were to let their hair air-dry without any combing or brushing, their natural waves would spring back up.

meowmeow
September 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm about Mid back length to waist length when dry (at the furthest reaching point) and about hip length when wet.

Heidi_234
September 21st, 2009, 01:43 AM
Well then they aren't true straighties then. Truly pin straight hair in the 1a category is stubbornly straight.............no matter how hard you try to scrunch your hair it can never hold a natural curl or wave. But especially when 1a hair is wet, it really gets super pin straight and really shiny from the water which adds to the sleekness.

Someone whose hair forms waves when wet would more accurately be described as having slightly wavy hair in the 1c to 2a range. Such a person could quite easily relax their hair and make it look straight if they frequently comb it out or brush it out as their hair dries. However, they still technically have wavy hair because if they were to let their hair air-dry without any combing or brushing, their natural waves would spring back up.
Of course for you as an 1a-er they won't be "true straighties", but compared to my hair, you'd have to agree they look rather straight. "Straight" "wavy" and "curly" are very vogue terms, and even within the hairtype some things are not true for all.

All I said, that some of those who don't have dry hair shrinkage (like curly hair does) might have very very slight wave when it's wet, making it appear shorter. It's does not have to be true to everybody obviously, and it was just my theory.