PDA

View Full Version : A Fun Day (with lots of long hair as a bonus!)

Xandergrammy
September 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yesterday, DH, DGS and I went to our first Pow Wow!! http://www.lenapenation.org/events.html
The weather was perfect and we enjoyed a day filled with lots of music and dancing. Unlike so many gatherings nowadays, long hair was the norm, on both men and women and boys and girls. Natural colors were also predominant, which was a nice treat. Here's one of my favorite pictures from the day. DGS and I were partners for this dance. You can see his little arm sticking out somewhere. The woman next to me was quite beautiful and this picture doesn't do her hair justice. It was dark brown with the beginnings of salt and pepper around her hairline.

I had a lovely compliment paid to me towards the end of the day. One of the older dancers approached me and told me how much she loved my "hairpiece". At first I thought she meant that she thought my braids were extensions, but she was referring to my silver feather barrette. She loves feathers and said she loved how my barrette looked when the sunlight reflected off of it. Her kind words made my day!!!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/DSCN0434-1.jpg

little_acorn
September 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Wow - looks like you had an awesome day and what a treat to be amongst so many long-hairs :D

clairenewcastle
September 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Looks like you'd a fun time! I love to see feathers in someones hair, they are so delicate and somehow always tend to look natural, as though they are part of the hair. I know a girl who collects feathers to wear in her hair but I'm not quite sure how she attaches them.
Her feathers tend to have a spiritual significance for her, she practises shamanism.
Just had to add that I love the double braid!

DavidN
September 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
What a wonderful day you had, Leni, and how cool that so many folks you met there had long hair too! The compliment was well deserved, and I am so happy for you that you got one!:blossom: Those are the kind of things that make it all worthwhile!

RedJen
September 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Very cool! My maternal grandfather comes from the Lenni Lenape in Delaware. It would be so neat to go to one of their gatherings! Love the hair!

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 05:26 AM
Looks like you'd a fun time! I love to see feathers in someones hair, they are so delicate and somehow always tend to look natural, as though they are part of the hair. I know a girl who collects feathers to wear in her hair but I'm not quite sure how she attaches them.
Her feathers tend to have a spiritual significance for her, she practises shamanism.
Just had to add that I love the double braid!

Thanks, Clairenewcastle! I feel the same way about feathers. It sounds like your friend has a beautiful collection.

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Wow - looks like you had an awesome day and what a treat to be amongst so many long-hairs :D

It was so much fun to look around and see long hair everywhere. I don't think I saw one poodle perm all day!

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 05:28 AM
What a wonderful day you had, Leni, and how cool that so many folks you met there had long hair too! The compliment was well deserved, and I am so happy for you that you got one!:blossom: Those are the kind of things that make it all worthwhile!

Thanks, David. It was great fun.

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 05:31 AM
Very cool! My maternal grandfather comes from the Lenni Lenape in Delaware. It would be so neat to go to one of their gatherings! Love the hair!

I would highly recommend going to one of their gatherings if you ever get a chance. The people at this gathering made us feel very welcome even though we aren't Native American (that I know of, anyway). It was a spiritual experience for me.

Fencai
September 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM
That's sooo cool! and like David said- well deserved! It is lovely!!

linda g
September 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
That sounds so cool! I have been wanting to go to one (there is a big one yearly in my area), but I felt a little shy about it. I suppose it wouldn't be advertised if I wasn't welcome, right?

SHELIAANN1969
September 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Your hair looks fantastic. :blossom:

I have always wanted to go to a Pow wow, and be in or at least listen in on a drum circle. :inlove:

I am so glad you had such a blast, What a wonderful experience. :flower:

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM
That sounds so cool! I have been wanting to go to one (there is a big one yearly in my area), but I felt a little shy about it. I suppose it wouldn't be advertised if I wasn't welcome, right?

If you ever have the opportunity, I encourage you to go to one. Everyone was welcome to attend (Open to the Public is usually in the advertisement somewhere) and the MC announced before every song/dance which dances were open to everyone. At one point, I hesitated under the arbor, and an elder motioned for me to join him. The atmosphere felt very comfortable to me.

Xandergrammy
September 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM
Your hair looks fantastic. :blossom:

I have always wanted to go to a Pow wow, and be in or at least listen in on a drum circle. :inlove:

I am so glad you had such a blast, What a wonderful experience. :flower:

Thanks, SHELIAANN!

The drumming was what I was looking forward to the most. You should go as soon as you get a chance.

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
That's excellent! It sounds like you had a wonderful time, and congrats on the compliment! :flower:

KarpatiiSiv
September 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
It really sounds like you had a wonderful time, how lovely to have received a compliment as well to make it a perfect day. I would love to attend something like this but not much chance of that here in the UK. Love your braids, Leni.:crush: