PDA

View Full Version : How Should I Put My Hair Up

longgone
September 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I looked around for a thread on stuff like this, but as I'm new I didn't have much luck... I'm looking for suggestions on how I could put up my hair for a formal... I'd prefer something that I could do myself as none of the hair places here deal well with longer styles.. I prefer to use as little styling gel or product as possible... When I put it up dry for work I have to put a bit of gel in to tack down the wisps, but otherwise I never use anything in it (and I try to put it up wet for work most days so I don't have to use the gel)... My hair rarely stays up for any length of time if it is not styled when wet... If I style it dry, it usually falls out partially, if not completely, within a few hours...

My hair is extremely straight (If I take a curling iron to it, by the time I get all the way around, the stuff I did first is straight again...) and very thick... When it is up, it needs to be secured well or it falls out easily... It falls somewhere between mid-thigh and the back of my knees... I usually like to wear it half-up when I go out, but with they style of dress I have that won't look right... And I've realized that it has gotten long enough that it gets in the way for dancing...

The dress I'm wearing is an Asian style... Fitted, floor-length, sleeveless, with the collar... White with black trim...

Kaileida
September 20th, 2009, 04:44 PM
My sister has your same hair type :3
I never did much with my hair when it was really straight. But could you pull off odango buns? Rock the Sailor Moon look? :D
Also, if you wanna take the easy way out you could just do a deep condition and wear it down. It might get in the way of dancing but wow would it look stunning!

longgone
September 20th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not familiar with hair speak... Odango buns?

I'm worried it won't look quite right down with the dress I have... Also, it needs a trim badly since I didn't make it home this year and I fear unknown hairdressers that either can't cut straight, take off more than necessary or think layers are fun... I always go to the same hairdresser in my hometown who's been trimming my hair since I was in high school...

I had some bad experiences with hair dressers not doing what I wanted in my mid-20's... They think they know best... My favorite was the last time I cut it short and had it shaved to the tops of my ears... (This was for work...) The guy didn't shave the back even, he did some fancy thing with it and I had to go home and have my cousin take the razor to it... It was annoying when it started growing out because the shave wasn't even the way a hairdresser would normally do it...

eternallyverdan
September 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
If you haven't already done so I would check out the articles section of the site. There are a lot of great ideas ranging from everyday stuff to super-elaborate formals. Do you want to have all of your hair up?

Kaileida
September 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I speak of the style on the right: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Odango-estilos.svg

I know what you mean about hairstylists. I'm lucky enough to have one who is also growing her hair long!

Seconding the recommendation to go look through the articles here. I'm useless when it comes to super long hair advice, because mine has never been longer then mid-back (almost waist.)

bigevilgrape
September 20th, 2009, 05:16 PM
You could do a french twist with curls at the top like she does in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5eTGElnGs), she pins the curls in place so they shouldn't fall out.

I ment to add that I have no idea if that will work with your amount of hair being that its much thicker and longer then mine.

jasper
September 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Do you use hair sticks? They hold better than anything for me.

Maybe you could do a double bun style with one bun positioned above the other. You start out with a half up and bun that hair and then bun the remaining hair beneath it. I'm thinking of this arrangement: http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh143/frannyshairstyles/Updos/thDblRopeBuns.jpg

longgone
September 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I took a look at the articles like someone suggested and this one: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=92 seems perfect for what I was looking for... It's simple and classic but formal and Asian style... However, I tried to find the hairpiece she uses and it seems like the site she linked to doesn't have them anymore... Anyone have any suggestions?

I ment to add that I have no idea if that will work with your amount of hair being that its much thicker and longer then mine.

That one probably won't work with my hair for two reasons... It's too long and it doesn't hold any curl whatsoever..

Do you use hair sticks? They hold better than anything for me.

The only hair sticks I have ever found that will hold my hair are wooden ones that are hand carved in a twist... I got them at a medieval fare in Maryland years ago... I have 2 or 3 pairs but they are back somewhere in the states and not accessible... I cut my hair very short not long before I moved overseas years ago and I haven't dug them out since my hair got long again... I suppose I could try and find the website and order some new ones...

bigevilgrape
September 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
That one probably won't work with my hair for two reasons... It's too long and it doesn't hold any curl whatsoever..

My hair doesn't hold a curl either, and that works for me because you arn't curling your hair so much as wrapping it and pining it in place. I can see why the length being a problem.

may1em
September 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Haven't read the other responses - but the first thing that pops into mind when you say it's an Asian style dress is a Chinese bun.

For something a bit more special - do two Dutch braids and use those to make the bun.

Heavenly Locks
September 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
:) You can do a chinese bun with sticks, or other kinds of hair toys. If you want to try using chopsticks that match your dress, I can tell you how I'd do it.

One inserted horizontally from the left and one from the right. So that only the thicker ends of the sticks are visible. Standard chopsticks pretty long, so you can shorten a regular pair and sand the tips smooth or look for a kids pair.

(I get the feeling I may have met you, on the bus maybe? If not, nevermind!! :) )

longgone
September 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Yes, I'm the girl on the bus... I love this site!

Oh, and check out the Chinese bun style I linked above... I'd love to do that, but need to figure out where I can get the hair gadget.... Do they sell those around here?

Heavenly Locks
September 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Yes, I'm the girl on the bus... I love this site!

I KNEW you would! I am so glad you looked it up! Yay :flower: Welcome to LHC. :disco:

Oh, and check out the Chinese bun style I linked above... I'd love to do that, but need to figure out where I can get the hair gadget.... Do they sell those around here?

Those hair things, err...(what are they even CALLED?) I don't think they have them around here.

Is this the site you looked at? http://www.crystalmood.com/

If you can't find what you want, I had good luck with the double chopstick technique. I wonder if you'd like Kansashi? (those are the traditional Japanese dangly flowers that are made of fabric/ribbon.)