PDA

View Full Version : Reduce hair volume? What is it called?

loras
September 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
What is the name for the "technique" used by hairdressers, that reduces hair volume?

I mean, such as taking strands of hair, and cutting strands closer and closer to the scalp.

I've also heard of things like: "intense volume reduction treatment", but in another language, so I don't know if there's similar in the states.

Do you know what I should call for, when I go to an hair dresser?

My wait-length curly hair feels like an afro of doom :afro:

~thanks :)

nowxisxforever
September 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Thinning, possibly?

peachrose
September 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thinning or layering.

Kaileida
September 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Thinning, but I don't like it, myself! I think it's kinda damaging to your hair. And when I had stick straight hair I would have killed for your hair type. ;)
That's just my unsolicited opinion, though. Oh, and make sure you are VERY clear about the shortest length they may cut your hair. I'm just a tad past shoulder, but my hair is layered so that some of my pieces are still are ear length. Gah!

Roseate
September 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thinning.

And think long and hard before you do it- it makes your hair feel wonderful and light for a few weeks, but then all those little strands start to grow back... and start to stick up, and there is no way to trim the same ones again. You will have a frizz halo like you have never seen before. I speak from experience- it's not worth it. I'd get a pixie before I'd ever let anyone near my head with thinning scissors again.

Layers could reduce the bulk somewhat, but if they aren't well cut you will get more poof, so research your choice of hairdresser very carefully, and be very clear when explaining what you want. I love my layers, they give my thick wurly hair a nice shape.

Gingevere
September 20th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Thinning should only be used as a last resort, IMO. You've probably tried lots of products to weigh your hair down or eliminate the poof, but I would honestly keep trying if I were you. Layers are another option, but as Roseate said, they have to be done correctly in order to work for curly hair. I have a friend with hair curlier and thicker than yours and she's just learned to deal with the massive-ness. Everyone I know loves her wild curls- they're gorgeous!

Anyway, most of us are constantly searching for ways to thicken and volumize. Consider yourself lucky!

BlueWaterRed
September 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
They use thinning shears which looks like normal haircutting scissors but are shaped differently so that a strand of hair can be cut at different lengths with one cut (hope that makes sense).

Almost consistently, stylists I visited insisted that thinning my hair was the only way to control the thickness (that, and flatirons), but my layers never grew out smoothly, and became more poofy and quickly ragged looking within a short period of time as the thinned layers started to grow.

Maybe some LHCers have had good thinning shear experiences, but I would recommend caution. Hope that helps a little.

Mutinous
September 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've had my hair thinned for the last four years, because it is so stupidly thick, though I have decided to not get it thinned out anymore, just to see if I can manage it at its natural thickness.

I've never had any issues with it, its never made any hair stick up strangely, and I used to get it done every four weeks.

I would get it layered if I you don't like the weight, it has less chance to go wrong. Though I have heard of methods where people essentially shave strips through their hair to eliminate some of the weight, though I did balk at the idea of that!

bigevilgrape
September 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
That reminds me of when I was in high schoool and some of the girls shaved the bottom 1/4-1/3 of their heads. I never could figure out why they did it.

rexy
September 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
That reminds me of when I was in high schoool and some of the girls shaved the bottom 1/4-1/3 of their heads. I never could figure out why they did it.

:confused: This is like the greatest mystery of the universe. Could someone please tell us WHY? :p

Jinx2234
September 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
:confused: This is like the greatest mystery of the universe. Could someone please tell us WHY? :p

I had the back of my head shaved in middle school because the hairdresser told me it would make my hair more manageable. I still had hair but it was really short. What she didn't mention was how much more unmanageable it would be once it started to grow out. It took forever to grow that patch of hair out to a reasonable length.

Roseate
September 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM

I did that! Why? I lived in Florida. I had no air conditioning.

My hair is very thick and very HOT, and I wanted to be able to wear it down without instantly having it instantly glued to my neck, soaked in sweat. It totally worked. In retrospect, it looked pretty silly when I wore it up, but it felt great at the time! ;)

eadwine
September 21st, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have seen that here too.. was in a particular scene that they did that. I thought it was just fashion. I mean.. it doesn't get THAT hot here (to the lower 90s, only once has it been 100) so it can't have been for the heat.

Toadstool
September 21st, 2009, 12:34 AM
Thinning. For me though it grows out frizzy:(

I have seen that here too.. was in a particular scene that they did that. I thought it was just fashion. I mean.. it doesn't get THAT hot here (to the lower 90s, only once has it been 100) so it can't have been for the heat.

For real??? That level of heat sounds like a nightmare to me. I was in Australia this year and it was in the 30's (C not F;) and I got my hair thinned and very nearly shaved it off cos I was so unbearably hot.

aada
September 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
i have always gotten my hair thinned. always. i have no idea what my "true" thickness is (even MASSIVELY thinned, it's iii....).

since i have been old enough to be in charge of my own haircuts, i have made them thin UNDER the canopy. this has cut down on the frizziness of the shorter hairs growing out. however, if your hair is really ii/iii, you shouldn't need that much thinning to get it to a "managable" thickness, so the under-thinning's growth shouldn't be too noticeable.

curlytiff27
September 21st, 2009, 07:43 AM
Wow! I remember when girls did the shaving thing...I was in middle school! How funny you mentioned that.

As for the thinning of the hair and layering, all everyone else said. Please please think long and hard about it. It will without a doubt reduce your volume. When I get home...if I remember as well I will post pictures showing before and after of my curly hair with layers. I did it back in June and regret it so much. I have since panicked about my volume so much that I honestly thought I was loosing hair until I remembered asking for them from my hair dresser. I remember her saying "I put a lot of layers in this time". I always had blunt cuts since I remember, now I just want my hair back! Well...as it stands I am off to buy monistat tonight to speed up my growth. I am hoping to regain some length by Christmas when I have to go back to PA for the holidays! Oh and my hair was bsl curly.

rexy
September 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
I did that! Why? I lived in Florida. I had no air conditioning.

My hair is very thick and very HOT, and I wanted to be able to wear it down without instantly having it instantly glued to my neck, soaked in sweat. It totally worked. In retrospect, it looked pretty silly when I wore it up, but it felt great at the time! ;)

Thanks for the replies! I feel much more informed now!!!

loras
September 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone! Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been Internetless for a bit.

Thinning should only be used as a last resort, IMO. You've probably tried lots of products to weigh your hair down or eliminate the poof, but I would honestly keep trying if I were you

My wait-length curly hair feels like an afro of doom :afro:

OOPS, I guess I didn't really mean that my hair feels like an afro. What was I thinking!? I'm sorry!
I don't mind volume above my ears, but my hair does feel like a piramid, it's way too wide and thick at my shoulders and waist.

I can weight my hair down, and I don't have much problem with poof.

The problem with layers is that when I bun or braid my hair, it will have lots of strands poking out; won't it? But from what all of you have mentioned, it STILL sounds better than thinning :P So layers it will be!

Rain
September 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
If you have a lot of curly hair, long layers are a godsend. Don't fear the layers. Just do some research and find a good stylist. They are not all bad.

Roseate
September 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
The problem with layers is that when I bun or braid my hair, it will have lots of strands poking out; won't it? But from what all of you have mentioned, it STILL sounds better than thinning :P So layers it will be!

Get the stylist to give you LONG layers, just in the last 3" or so of your hair, and maybe a few face-framing ones. That way, you can make a braid with a long tassel and the layers will all be in the tassel, not bristling out all over the braid. Enjoy your trim!

loras
September 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
If you have a lot of curly hair, long layers are a godsend. Don't fear the layers. Just do some research and find a good stylist. They are not all bad.

Hmm it's not that I think *all* stylists are evil, it's just that there aren't many in my area. Though I don't forgive, I don't forgive... :P

Get the stylist to give you LONG layers, just in the last 3" or so of your hair, and maybe a few face-framing ones. That way, you can make a braid with a long tassel and the layers will all be in the tassel, not bristling out all over the braid. Enjoy your trim!

I think I'll make it more like 5 inches or so, there's waaaaaayy too much bulk :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement!

:cheese:

vindo
September 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
It can be thinned out with a razor but it will make the top more poufy for curly hair. That technique is only for straighter types.
The best you can do is compress your volume with heavier products..oil, shea butter and a drying method were you stretch and twist the coils to give the more length instead of width would be worth a try.

Some scissor cut layers are okay, just be sure not to go to short..

adiapalic
September 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Is that when they use the little razor to trim the hair away? If so, I've head here that that method of hair cutting cans cause enormous amount of splits.

aada
September 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Is that when they use the little razor to trim the hair away? If so, I've head here that that method of hair cutting cans cause enormous amount of splits.

thinning is normally done with thinning shears. razoring is a but different and DOES cause lots of splits

and i really thing that having it done UNDER the top layer prevents the issues that most people seem to be commenting with! ;)

free_hug
September 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
[hijack thread] Sorry but it just reminds me how every single hairdresser i visited in the last few years totally insisted on thinning my hair. And i have thin hair. Thin and fine. And they would just do it even when i told them not to.

(And to think that without LHC i'd still be visiting a salon every 3 or 4 months...)
[thread back]

So YES! Be very careful zhen it comes to choosing the right hairdresser!!!

Curlsgirl
September 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Have you by any chance tried Sunsilk anti-poof products? When my hair was shorter they were the ONLY thing that tamed my hair and made it look less bulky. They don't feel great when you put them in but they REALLY work. I only used the conditioner and the leave-in. The problem with layers and why I decided against it is that as your hair gets longer, it will start weighing the length down and the ends may look stringy and thin.