PDA

View Full Version : Confused on hair colour result

apynip
September 20th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I know i shouldnt be using the damaging hair colouring products and stuff on my hair but my hair was burgundy and i disnt really like it because my roots were showing.

So I used a hair colour my mom normally uses and its lorel superior preferance or something along those lines.

Well... its dry now... and all it did for my hair was made it LIGHTER. What?

I used a ash brown and it wasnt even light ashbrown...

So my question is why would it have done this bizzar thing?
and what should i do to fix it? go back and spend another 10 odd dollars to attempt to redye it and worry about it damaging my hair again?

my hair routine is that i wash my hair with garnier triple action formula every other day and do a castor oil scalp massage before every other wash. I normally only comb my hair and i wear a silk scarf on my head while i'm not at school to protect my hair from the elements and i'm embaressed now forsome reason about how short my hair is(as silly as that is).

anyways I'm very confuzzled...

Ruvie
September 20th, 2009, 02:41 PM
All I can say is, do not redye it in such a short amount of time, or it ill fall out. If you'd like it darker, id try henna :)

rach
September 20th, 2009, 02:43 PM
on the top of one of nightshades aticals may explain the lightening- http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=2
and maybe the colour just didn't take for some reason?

apynip
September 20th, 2009, 02:43 PM
would i be able to get it at sallys? if not where?
and how long should i wait to henna it if i was able to get some?
Cause my hair is making me cry cause I hate the colour it currently is which i didnt even know was a colour light dull burgundy...

missfortune9335
September 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
IMHO if you're trying to correct a color mistake over already colored hair... it's time to go to the salon.

wintersun99
September 20th, 2009, 02:46 PM

apynip
September 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
mm... ok. I will talk to my mom about a salon visit but i dont normally trust salons with my hair anymore.

heatherdazy
September 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
There are three reasons that account for 99% of color errors.

#1- The colorist doesn't know what they're doing (this often includes stylists who are undertrained or inexperienced and includes most but not all non-stylists)

#2- The colorist doesn't follow the exact instructions of the color manufacturer (for instance, boxed color is almost always meant for virgin hair that is within 2 shades of the target color)

#3- The colorist doesn't know exactly what colors, tones and undertones are in the product they're using (box colors are insufficiently labeled. God only knows what was actually in that box, the peroxide volume are target level are not even listed and 'ash' could mean blue, violet or green, it could be entirely ash or an ashy neutral, there's no way to know!)

With all you've got going on in your hair right now, anything you try next will be a disaster unless you eliminate all three of those problems.

Sylvanas
September 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
The colour you used lightens your hair and then deposits the colour. This is why you ended up with lighter hair.

If you cannot live with the colour you have now, I'd go for a toner. It needs to be done more often to keep the colour you want, but it'll fade nicely, and it will be less damaging than a demi-permanent or a permanent dye. If you choose to go for your natural colour or want a completely different one later on, that's what I'd choose :)

Mutinous
September 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I would just grow it out. It sucks, and it takes forever, but you are heading into dangerous territory here. I tried to fix a colour mistake before, and it nearly killed my hair, and I chopped about four inches off in the end.

If you can't wait, and it is making you too miserable, I would try a natural hair dye, or henna (which should take nicely to the brown you are describing). A semi-permanent dye at worst (as these wash out).

Stripping your hair seems a bit drastic, not to mention it will be quite damaging. Maybe dye it closer to your natural colour you could leave it for a good few months to recover (without the root problem) and then try again when it is a bit stronger?

Hope this helps :)

Kris Dove
September 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
The colour you used lightens your hair and then deposits the colour. This is why you ended up with lighter hair.

If you cannot live with the colour you have now, I'd go for a toner. It needs to be done more often to keep the colour you want, but it'll fade nicely, and it will be less damaging than a demi-permanent or a permanent dye. If you choose to go for your natural colour or want a completely different one later on, that's what I'd choose :)Good advice here :)- when I dyed my hair darker and it faded I'd use toners to brighten it up between doing my roots so that I could leave it as long as possible. Toners are a great quick-fix for darkening or brightening your colour!

wintersun99
September 20th, 2009, 05:50 PM

manderly
September 20th, 2009, 05:56 PM
You cannot use box dye over box dye to lighten a hair color (burgundy to ash brown).

You need to use a color remover such as color oops or color fix to remove the dye molecules from the burgundy dye and then you can use a new haircolor to deposit new dye molecules into your hair shaft.

Just like girls who dye their hair black then wonder why they can't get back to their natural color with another box of blonde hair dye.

I would recommend color oopsing, do a protein treatement like aphogee (sallys), a couple of DTs, then re-dye with a deposit-only hair dye (or something semi/demi permanent like Natural Instincts).

wintersun99
September 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Sylvanas
September 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Actually, a toner can be so many different things. It can be something blue based to get the yellowness out of blonde or gray hair. It can be an ash toner to get rid of red. Some people call it a toner even when you need to mix two components together.

To explain what I meant by it: A deposit only colour, preferably something where you don't need to mix two components together. What you colour your hair with should preferably come in one single bottle. No mixing needed. Check the label to see it has no peroxide or ammonia in it :)

BlueWaterRed
September 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM
The salons really know how to fix coloring problems and do it with the least amount of damage. I've had coloring problems fixed in a salon (JC Penney, no less) and done the hair color removal kits at home (which are very drying, btw - felt like putting Comet in my hair! eek!). I'd choose the salon over the home method hands down. A good salon should be sympathetic and understanding to the problem, and will have staff experienced in solving these kinds of problems without judgment or lectures.

And let us know how it goes and I hope you get the color you love soon.

manderly
September 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
The salons really know how to fix coloring problems and do it with the least amount of damage. I've had coloring problems fixed in a salon (JC Penney, no less) and done the hair color removal kits at home (which are very drying, btw - felt like putting Comet in my hair! eek!). I'd choose the salon over the home method hands down. A good salon should be sympathetic and understanding to the problem, and will have staff experienced in solving these kinds of problems without judgment or lectures.

And let us know how it goes and I hope you get the color you love soon.

I had absolutely no adverse effects from Loreal's Color Oops. It removed all the old hair dye in a matter of minutes, and left my hair feeling just as good as ever.

orbiting
September 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Also - color oops doesn't always work.

I dyed my hair with L'oreal Preference in dark brown. Never again. Nothing faded or removed it, nothing dyes over it. It will not budge. Forget it.

Also - Color Oops smells like rotting eggs.

I recommend a professional.

manderly
September 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Threads like these are really starting to get on my nerves.

Here, how about 330 other reviews:

http://www.folica.com/one__n_only_Col_d312.html

wintersun99
September 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM

manderly
September 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Manderly provided the link to ColorFix... and HERE is the link for ColorOops... (http://www.developlus.com/products/coloroops/index.html) don't knock it before you try it... :)

Thanks for adding that one :)

GlennaGirl
September 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Threads like these are really starting to get on my nerves.

Um... :confused: :confused: We're...sorry? (Pssst...you always have the option of closing out the thread on your comp if it's an annoyance to you. ;) )

Okay, so, anyway, OP: Yes, ColorOops and ColorFix work on many people. On some people, however, they do turn the hair into straw. (Ask me how I know.) It isn't really something I personally would risk "just trying", at least if I were actively growing my hair (which I am, but this is about you).

It's like perming. You'll get hundreds of people telling you they permed and their hair was just fine. And then you'll get people saying their hair broke off into their hands. (C'est moi.) Although many people have had good results with color removers, many people have also ended up with straw hair from color removers. I don't see why we would need to have a "shout down" on this one; my having damaged hair from removers in the past doesn't negate the experience of the next person, or vice versa. The bottom line is that it may or may not work and nobody else's experience, good or bad, is any sort of guarantee for you. It's a risk you take. It's your decision based on all the information here.

My personal recommendation would be to ColorOops (if this is what you want do to) only a small, clipped-aside part of hair, preferably underneath, then "wear" it after it's done for two weeks; washing, etc., or whatever you normally do with your hair. If it feels noticeably different from the rest of your hair and not in a good way, then this is obviously not the method for you, and yes, you probably do want to go to a salon, OR just grow it out. :)

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

wintersun99
September 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM

apynip
September 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I forgot to add teh burgundy was alreeady a light burgundy...

I think i will just henna and leave it alone and never dye it again.

my reason? I have senior pictures soon and i dont really want to risk using the color oppssince i have used hair colour continuously for two years. (i'd posted a topic on asking what i should to to fix the roots but no one commented... lookie where i am i should have just used henna in the first place. D: )

Thanks for all the posts! Yall have really helped. maybe it can help some one else also.

<3 <3

wintersun99
September 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM

manderly
September 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
2 years? FWIW, I've dyed my hair coninuously with box dyes for almost 15 years.

Its your choice though.