PDA

View Full Version : I keep changing my mind

Sarah4983
September 20th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Anyone else as indecisive as me about using cones vs no cones?

I keep changing my mind after trying one or the other each month it seems, lol. Presently I'm considering going back to cones after going cone free for about a month because although I have more volume and wave without cones my hair looks dull and damaged.

I'm sure after a month of using cones I'll miss the volume.

Am I alone in my indecisiveness?

juliaxena
September 20th, 2009, 02:33 PM
It is possible to use cones and still get volume, you just have to find the right product. Don't have a clue about waves though.

apynip
September 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
try doing some oil treatments to shine your hair back up what shampoo are you using?

rach
September 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM
maybe a low cone? might be worth a go

WelshLocks
September 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I do a CWC with cone free conditioner(Suave Coconut) and a cone free shampoo(Renewal Volume) and my hair is huge and wavy.I think the reason why this works for me though is because every week I use a neautralizing shampoo to get rid of gunk and whatnot.You may want to try it out.

p.s I'm a 2b iii if that helps. :)

teela1978
September 20th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I acutally keep a coney and non-cone conditioner in my shower and switch back and forth almost every other wash. If my hair is feeling especially weighed down, I'll use the non-cone for a few washes in a row. If my hair is getting less sleek and more tangly, I'll use the coney one for a bit. Usually alternating keeps a sorta 'optimum' level of cones on my length. Might be worth trying.

Mutinous
September 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I tried non-cone for a awhile and I just don't think my hair agrees with it. My hair is a lot happier on cones, though admittedly the shampoo/conditioner I use only has one type in it.

Kaileida
September 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I hate cones! I feel like there are so many better ways to get that shine, and without that awful plastic-y greasy feeling that cones give me. In fact, I just gave my coney shampoo + conditioner away. :D

Some people swear by them, some people alternate, and for people like me, they just don't work. It's really all about finding what works best for you!

Flynn
September 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone else as indecisive as me about using cones vs no cones?

I keep changing my mind after trying one or the other each month it seems, lol. Presently I'm considering going back to cones after going cone free for about a month because although I have more volume and wave without cones my hair looks dull and damaged.

I'm sure after a month of using cones I'll miss the volume.

Am I alone in my indecisiveness?

I think cones tend to hide damage. No cones makes you more aware of how you handle your hair. I've been no-cone for... a few months. Since the start of June, according to my blog. It looked dull, dry, frizzy and damaged for some time, but now I've got it right, S&D'd a bit, worked out how much moisture how often, threw in some protein and so on, and now it's shiny like no-one's business. I really think a month isn't long enough to assess either...

So, I'd stick with a no-cones trial for a bit longer to actually see results. Like, several months, not just one. It took at least two months to get out of the "nasty" phase for me.

ambychelle
September 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I feel the same way about coconut oil. I've been using it for a year now as lotion and to eat but when I use it in my hair, I'm torn becaause it makes it shiney and tames the frizz but also makes it feel a little thin and I miss the lost volume.

What I find helps a bit is to go cone-free but use the coconut oil on just the top (for fly aways) and just the very tips of the ends that damage shows up on the most. But it's still not that silky yet fluffy feeling I hope to get to some day. Close enough for now though :)

manderly
September 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
After a year of going cone free, now I keep some cones on hand and use them occasionally. I use them when my ends are feeling a bit tangly and I don't feel like a trim. I use them when I plan on using heat-styling tools. I use them "just because" when I feel like I want some fake uber shine.

I don't think it's necessary to go cold turkey on everything here at LHC. It's just about moderation and using things you like when you like them, and rotating in new things every now and again :)

Sarah4983
September 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Thank you for all the replies!!

I use John Frieda's brilliant brunette shamp and cond when I'm in a cone stage, and I use Nutri-ox shampoo (on my scalp only) and GVP conditioning balm on my length when I go cone-free.

As far as oiling while I'm cone-free I use a light application of coconut oil and I just discovered aloe vera works very well in combination with the coconut oil for a leave-in. Once a week I sleep with the GVP balm in my hair under a plastic grocery bag overnight. However, I honestly feel no amount of oiling or deep conditioning treatments will help my over-bleached and over-colored heat-styled hair. I can only S&D so many times before my ends start to look funny (the last 4 inches already look funny to me from so many S&Ds) so I guess I'm stuck with the damaged hair until I trim it off.

I was considering getting layers cut into the last few inches of my hair but I'm not sure it is thick enough at the ends to do so. I may put a post up about this latest idea soon. :)

I may give cone-free some more time; as suggested by Flynn.

You all rock! Thanks again for all the great advice. I will re-read this thread tomorrow morning when I'm not so sleepy :)

Dars
September 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I second Flynn on giving cone free a longer time frame. I've been cone free and CO for about 4 months now and when I first started out I noticed the same things, dull, dry and damage showing up. I kept reading LHCer's experiences and they are similar so I kept going with cone free. I realised the damage was just been hidden by cones and did more S&D sessions and learned to handle and care for it better. Now my hair is uber happy with cone free, it's never been better actually :D

friskybiznus
September 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I'm having the same thoughts: To cone or not to cone?
I'm thinking my hair is just too out of control without cones because of the Texas heat and humidity.

marikamt
September 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I am going thru the "what should I do" too.... I like the waves I get no-cone, but need more "something" that I am not getting without cones.... not sure what it is... I think it is a leave in, but I haven't found the right combination yet...... have tried straight coconut oil, shea butter, aloe/ coconut mixture. All have their positives and negatives but not perfect. I also tried the Garnier triple nutrition conditioner (w/ an sls free shampoo) I like the moisture level but it feels too heavy. Still experimenting....
I am really torn.

Flynn
September 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I'm having the same thoughts: To cone or not to cone?
I'm thinking my hair is just too out of control without cones because of the Texas heat and humidity.

I'm doing fine as the Sydney heat and humidity starts to ramp up...