PDA

View Full Version : Thinning hair dilemma (long)

Katze
September 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I was hoping I would not have to post asking for help anymore. :)

But the monster shedding (1000 + hairs a day) isn't stopping, and I am at a loss...and what is worse (!) is the new growth. Without the previous thickness to hide it, I look like I have 80s metal band feathering all over my head.

My hair reaches almost to waist at its longest (I am short waisted). But I have shed so many hairs in the past three months that the taper is more than extreme. When it is in two braids, they are the width of a pencil at shoulder length. The ends are too thin to measure, and I am embarassed to take pictures, it looks so awful, but my avatar and profile pics are now a lie...

Washing with 'cones (Dove) and using gel or mousse to slick it down SEEMED to be working...until we had professional pictures taken the other day. Yes, the ends hung together if I combed them...but all the new growth, starting with my post LHC hair (I am guessing since it's about 10-12 inches long) sticks out in an insane way. It ruins what I hoped would finally be good wedding pics... :(

Previously I could deal with all these different lengths by putting it up, because the thicker long hairs could help secure the shorter ones, if that makes sense. Now there is this wispy messy halo around my head that is too thin and fine to do anything with - I can't ring my head with dozens of barettes every day! The ends are also so thin now - despite constant trimming - that they come out of the few updos I can do (messy half bun half pony things or twists).

I can do a messy updo, but am tired of the same look every day. Some days I would really love to have smooth sleek hair! But at least I don't have any real bald spots or anything. I would love to have the kind of hair I can just twist, pin up, and go, but apparently this is never to be.

I know that a huge chop won't save me. Chin length (the length of the thickest new growth layer) looks terrible on me, and there are so many other lengths of new growth that I would have the same problem. And if I go to a salon they will probably cut layers into it which will just aggravate the problem. Shaving my head would just mean I would start all over again. :(

Right now I have my hair oiled and slicked down with gel and put into two lace braids which turn into regular Dutch braids, something like my profile pic but it looks a lot different of course. Then I have these braids twisted like a French twist and held with a stick. About half of the shorter hairs are trapped in this 'do but since I did it yesterday morning, it is looking a bit frazzly, especially around the part where the new growth poofs out.

I have an almost 6 month old baby who wants to be held all the time so I do not have the time to braid my hair intricately every day! Headscarves look terrible on me. I will also be going back to work in a few weeks and need to find some solutions!

No amount of more washing or less washing or moisture treatments or oiling really help. Washed, it looks a little better, but unwashed, it lies a little smoother. Headbands help. but then there is this ring of new hair behind the headband that looks really bad. Keeping it up seems to be my only option, but it is almost impossible to make it look decent in the time I do have for my hair.

I have NO IDEA what to do with my hair! Has anyone else had this kind of shedding? What did you do?

thanks...

rhubarbarin
September 20th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Katze, I just don't think there's an easy solution. Cutting it very short won't help, because it will just be in your face or sticking up, and you will have to grow it out again eventually. With so many very short layers of new hair coming in it's just going to be at an 'awkward stage' for a while.

If I were you I would stick with headscarves and very wide headbands, even if they are very unflattering to your face. They will keep your short hairs from floofing out all over the place at least.

Anyway, I am hoping hard that this insane shedding stops soon, and that your halo grows fast. This is a really tough situation. Do try to stay positive and don't let hair that is determined to be messy get you down about your appearance.. Don't forget we are always our own worst critic!

Have you discussed things with your doctor and ruled out any medical causes besides hormonal upheaval and your recovery from major surgery and infection? After childbirth, conditions such as celiac diseases, thyroid disfunction, and vitamin deficiences can be triggered or exacerbated.

Kris Dove
September 20th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I've had a bit of shedding recently (since I come off the pill I think), and my hair has a definite taper to it. I want to maintain my current BSL length as well as eventually get it back to being classic so I'm just going to do DIY trims using Feye's technique when it starts to look really bad, taking as little off as possible. The taper is a bit less noticeable when I have bun waves, so if I want to wear it down I wear it up for at least a few hours beforehand.

Presto
September 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Since it sounds like it's acting frizzy, I would recommend gel. Like curlies use.

Arrange your hair the way you want it to look with all the gel in it, I assume it easier to make it look neat when it is wet/oiled?

Then when the gel is dried and crunchy, scrunch the crunch out. That's the important part. It will retain the shape you put it in wet, but it will be dry, tamer, have more body, and not slick looking.

I hope you find something that works for you. Constant bad hair days are killer for self esteem. :(

rags
September 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I had the Great Shed due to meds a few years back. Honestly? I cut it to shoulder and kept it there until at least some of it grew back evenly. (I'm still only a i, so.....). I couldn't do anything with it long.

If you're not willing to chop (and many times I wished I hadn't) then I would go for wide headbands and a lot of aloe gel. Then bun or braid as needed. My absolutely "hair won't do anything at all" days, I wear a snood or just smoosh it up with an African Butterfly comb. Those things are great at holding all the varied lengths of hair. (I don't find the EZcombs to work nearly as well, though). HTH

ETA: I've still got horrible taper - that's why I love Ficcares and the African Butterfly Combs.

Rapunzal2Be
September 20th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have the crazy halo, too. Some days worse than others. I use an insane amount of aloe gel with a bit of leave in conditioner - seems to work pretty well.

Honey39
September 20th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hmmm. If I were you, I would just go for total benign neglect right now. Twist it up into a bun, stick a barette to hold it in place, and forget about it. Maybe slick some AVG on if that helps tame the little hairs. But just put it up and forget it for a month or so. I honestly don't think any decision to cut right now is the right one, because you have shed a lot of hair, you have new growth, it's all a bit awkward. I would stick it up for daily wear in the fastest, most secure bun that you have can do, even a loose twist or something, and just ignore it most of the time. Pamper it with treatments, but wear it up and out of the way. See how it looks in a month's time, and what you want to do then.

I just don't think cutting it will help much, because you will have lots of new growth still. Hair is a resilient thing, and I think wait and see how it all settles down. Maybe tie a scarf over it if that makes you feel better?

rags
September 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Oh, I also find that sleeping in about six braids after I wash my hair gives me pretty good hair the next day. (The waves tend to disguise the taper/thinness more).

jojo
September 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I too have had a crazy shedding period this year which for me has fortunatelly ceased. I did find an improvement by taking garlic capsuals on a daily basis (here is an interesting report that might be of interest to you http://www.hairlosshelp.com/html/patentlysine.cfm).

Hormone upheavals after having a baby as you know unfortunatelly cause hair to shed at distressing rates and also stress as in my case. I know how upsetting it is to lose hair at alarming rates, you lose hair, you stress about it, you lose hair a cycle emerges. If I was you id scarf it up and try to forget about it; easier said than done I know but the more you worry, the more you shed.

Try the garlic either capsuals or raw and give it a few months. I dont think a hair cut will make the slightest bit of difference, all it will do is make the hair appear thicker (longer hair appears thinner in most people the longer it gets yeah?), enjoy your baby, have lots of exercize pushing your daughter around, eat healthily and try not to fret honey, it will get better.

I wish you luck and hope your begining to feel more optimistic and congratulations on reaching waist, thats a positive sign you are growing.

Lamb
September 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Katze, if regular headscarves look "terrible" on you, perhaps give these a try:
http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/one-of-a-kind/everyday-meg1/

If you browse their products, you'll see the Meg's Snood comes in a lot of different colors and patterns. They are a godsend for awkward stages, and you don't need to braid or bun your hair for them - put 'em on your head, and you're set. I love them. Might help hide the uneven layers until you can put the shedding behind you.
:grouphug:

Melisande
September 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Dear Katze, it's a pity you didn't put a picture but I understand you. I had a horrible shed some years ago. What I did? I went to a very good hairstylist and had my hair cut back to shoulder, with a very nice layered look. It took her ages to cut it, and the result was nice enough. I had loads of compliments for it of course... :roll:... the kind you never get for long hair.

That was three years ago. I let it grow since then, it was my last visit to a hairstylist. A year later, i.e., two years ago, I found the boards and decided to return to the long hair I always had. But for the post-shed time, I don't regret the shorter cut. I was lucky that the layers grew in very nicely, in a good shape.

What about going BSL or shoulder blade? that's still you and not short hair.

I guess I would go and look for a Naturfriseur or some other hairstylist I can trust, and find a solution. Far as I remember you teach, and as a teacher myself, I understand that benign neglect is not really an option. You have to feel self confident when you start classes.

Sorry I have no better advice. They are based on your descriptions alone. It's possible that, if I saw your hair, I'd tell you that it doesn't look half as bad, and that you should continue to put it up and forget it.

It's very sad to see the hair that you pampered and cared for and brought around to such a wonderful state is letting you down like that. But when the shed is over and the new hair that is coming out already will grow longer, you will know from the start how to take care of it. I know that I will see your hair beautiful, voluminous, strong and full of life again.

Katze
September 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Since it sounds like it's acting frizzy, I would recommend gel. Like curlies use.

Arrange your hair the way you want it to look with all the gel in it, I assume it easier to make it look neat when it is wet/oiled?

Then when the gel is dried and crunchy, scrunch the crunch out. That's the important part. It will retain the shape you put it in wet, but it will be dry, tamer, have more body, and not slick looking.

I hope you find something that works for you. Constant bad hair days are killer for self esteem. :(

Thanks, I hope to feel better some point. Unfortunately all those great things you mention worked well for me when my hair was normal. It just plain doesn't ever look good now.

I had the Great Shed due to meds a few years back. Honestly? I cut it to shoulder and kept it there until at least some of it grew back evenly. (I'm still only a i, so.....). I couldn't do anything with it long.

If you're not willing to chop (and many times I wished I hadn't) then I would go for wide headbands and a lot of aloe gel. Then bun or braid as needed. My absolutely "hair won't do anything at all" days, I wear a snood or just smoosh it up with an African Butterfly comb. Those things are great at holding all the varied lengths of hair. (I don't find the EZcombs to work nearly as well, though). HTH

ETA: I've still got horrible taper - that's why I love Ficcares and the African Butterfly Combs.

I use Ficcares too but they unfortunately don't hold all the wisps. I don't know what an African Butterfly Comb is - how does it help?

A cut might be a good idea, honestly.

I have the crazy halo, too. Some days worse than others. I use an insane amount of aloe gel with a bit of leave in conditioner - seems to work pretty well.

Yes, this worked for me before, but my hair is SO thin now I would basically need to stick it together to make it look good.

Hmmm. If I were you, I would just go for total benign neglect right now. Twist it up into a bun, stick a barette to hold it in place, and forget about it. Maybe slick some AVG on if that helps tame the little hairs. But just put it up and forget it for a month or so. I honestly don't think any decision to cut right now is the right one, because you have shed a lot of hair, you have new growth, it's all a bit awkward. I would stick it up for daily wear in the fastest, most secure bun that you have can do, even a loose twist or something, and just ignore it most of the time. Pamper it with treatments, but wear it up and out of the way. See how it looks in a month's time, and what you want to do then.

I just don't think cutting it will help much, because you will have lots of new growth still. Hair is a resilient thing, and I think wait and see how it all settles down. Maybe tie a scarf over it if that makes you feel better?

Unfortunately I am a bun idiot. They usually stick out like a doorknob and are really ugly, and fall down my head. So I never really had any updo that worked for me. But I can twist it up and keep it out of my way, *if* I am able to redo my hairdo and brush the heck out of it 4-5 times a day. That time is what's missing in my schedule, unfortunately.

Dear Katze, it's a pity you didn't put a picture but I understand you. I had a horrible shed some years ago. What I did? I went to a very good hairstylist and had my hair cut back to shoulder, with a very nice layered look. It took her ages to cut it, and the result was nice enough. I had loads of compliments for it of course... :roll:... the kind you never get for long hair.

That was three years ago. I let it grow since then, it was my last visit to a hairstylist. A year later, i.e., two years ago, I found the boards and decided to return to the long hair I always had. But for the post-shed time, I don't regret the shorter cut. I was lucky that the layers grew in very nicely, in a good shape.

What about going BSL or shoulder blade? that's still you and not short hair.

I guess I would go and look for a Naturfriseur or some other hairstylist I can trust, and find a solution. Far as I remember you teach, and as a teacher myself, I understand that benign neglect is not really an option. You have to feel self confident when you start classes.

Sorry I have no better advice. They are based on your descriptions alone. It's possible that, if I saw your hair, I'd tell you that it doesn't look half as bad, and that you should continue to put it up and forget it.

It's very sad to see the hair that you pampered and cared for and brought around to such a wonderful state is letting you down like that. But when the shed is over and the new hair that is coming out already will grow longer, you will know from the start how to take care of it. I know that I will see your hair beautiful, voluminous, strong and full of life again.

Yes, you are so right, I have to be able to feel good about myself for my work. And it does really feel bad that I have worked so hard to have healthy hair. I am really at a loss. It is, sadly, noticeable by others. I feel really self conscious because there is nothing I can do to make it look good.

Unfortunately I was never fully at BSL even at its thickest - my avatar pic shows the tips at BSL, but those ends were still thin. I have been trimming and trimming and trimming and trimming, just took another 2 inches off.

I will try to take pics if I can get it looking good during a time that I have time to take pics. Baby doesn't sleep during the day so it is really hard to find the time to do this.

Sorry for such a downer thread but I am really at a loss. As I say, there is nothing that I can do where my hair looks good - it was messy and frizzy before I got pregnant and hard to get it to look good, but it was probably three times as thick as it is now. I fought with it then, but at least it looked (relatively) healthy.

GoddesJourney
September 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have been a shedder my whole life. I put the hair I shed on the wall in my shower so it doesn't clog the drain. Every shower every day I would have a handful of hair on the wall and then another handful would come out in my brush after that. Horrible. I spent some time in Brazil last year and it was hot so I was showering with much colder water. I started shedding much less despite the damaging effects of the high chlorine content in the water I was using. I was using the Dove Intense Moisture or whatever it's called as well. Heavy, heavy cones. Plastic brushes. I came home and my hair started shedding like crazy again. Warm water, big surprise. So I came back to colder water and cut my shedding in half. Then I got a horn comb and that's all I use now, wet or dry. I cut back on the little hairs that break off. Then I finally made the no cones jump. It was terrible for about a month and then my hair became more and more beautiful. Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners are working for me. Also, they're SLS free. I did the no cones thing in stages. I used a less coney conditioner for about a month before I stopped altogether. It seemed to help. Anyway, if you would like to shed less, you could try this. I drop only a few hairs in the shower now and only a few more in my comb. It's amazing. Now I can just let it all catch up with the rest of my hair and be astounded every time I look in the mirror.

amaiaisabella
September 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I am so very sorry for the stress this is causing you :grouphug:

That said, if you don't want to cut (and I don't blame you, you worked hard to get to this point!), what about something like Nioxin? I've heard that it helps to reduce shedding, and could help your new growth (which you already have!) grow much quicker. I'm not sure about Monistat, because at least for me, it increased my shedding tenfold.

I hope you figure something out soon!

Toadstool
September 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Dear Katze
I would suggest you go to your doctor?
I found this link and thought it might help?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001

I personally would cut it to shoulder but that's just me. I know how hard you have worked to grow your hair, and that it would be a big loss for you.

Best of luck:flower::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

motormuffin
September 20th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Well...this is my own take of course. Have you thought of taking supplements to balance your hormones? Not taking hormones, but taking herbs to help your body get back on track. Having a baby was rough for me too. I take a few different ones. I just made a post the other day about one of them. I was taking DIM. I didn't think it was doing anything so I stopped taking it. My hair immediately started shedding. My husband even noticed because the was hair EVERYWHERE. It was coming out in handfuls. Needless to say, I started taking it again.
I take DIM (helps metabolize estrogen).
I take Vitex (helps balance hormones...great for my mood and PMS...just ask my husband :))
I take phytoestrogens.
I take a good multivit and extra B complex.
There are others but these are the important ones.

I seriously doubt it has anything to do with how you are washing knowing you had a baby...
Do you have any of those figure 8 clips or a leather stick barrette? Those are easy to just twist up your hair and throw one in...slightly messy so the wisps look in place. I have layered hair and it works okay. Chin up!

rags
September 20th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Katze, first of all :grouphug:

The African Butterfly comb (www.africanbutterfly.com (http://www.africanbutterfly.com)) won't help with the wispies. It will, however, allow you to just throw your hair up and not worry about the taper, or how good your bun looks. Snoods are great too!

prittykitty
September 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
You say you have a 6 month old baby. This may be the problem. I remember after having my children, my hair would shed a few months later. It felt so thin and I was worried I would lose it all. After a while it quit shedding and was back to normal. If yours keeps up like that you should go and see your doctor. It could simply be a hormone imbalance of some kind that can be treated with the right medication. Also any kind of birth control that contains hormones can cause hair to thin, that is if you are using that kind. Have you been checked for thyroid disease? My sister had thyroid disease after her son was born and her hair thinned out drastically until she got treated for it. What kind of diet do you eat? Having a child can take away so much nutrition from your body. Taking a good vitamin supplement plus calcium supplements can be a great help to you. If you feel your hair looks that bad on the ends, maybe a small trim might help but I definitely would NOT get it cut short!

What's wrong with the 80's metal, LOL? That was a cool era!

Rohele
September 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
katze, sorry to hear you're still having post-partum shedding. :grouphug:

If it doesn't slow down soon, the idea to have you thyroid checked is a good one - I think pregnancy can sometimes trigger thyroid issues (this happened to a friend of mine).

The regrowth will start to blend in once it gets to about ear level I think, but it takes a while, escpecially if it's continuing to grow in as you shed (but at least it's re-growing right? that's encouraging :) )

rusika1
September 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Katze--

Curse those postpartum hormones! Asking your doctor about it (and getting your thyroid checked) is a good idea, just in case there's something wrong.

In the meantime, cutting to anywhere between shoulder and BSL would probably make you feel better about your hair. It would be less stressful to take care of, and having it all closer to the same length should mean you have less extreme taper when it grows back out. And less taper means a happier Katze, right?

I think sometimes the overall tone here is so strongly supportive that members feel like they're failures if they run into problems along the way. We all want the trip to long hair to be instantaneous, like teleportation. Instead, it's more of a cross country drive--it takes a long time, you can encounter all sorts of delays, and you may change your plans en route, but eventually you get where you need to be.

Good luck.

chrissy-b
September 20th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this. I second (or third) the mention of seeing your doctor if the shedding doesn't cease soon.

I've been shedding for almost two months, more than I've shed ever in my life. I recently moved to a new state and the climate change is making all my hair fall out. I recently started up scalp massages and that seems to be helping.

As far as styles go, I hate to say it but maybe a trim and scarves are what you have to do right now. I have a huge bald spot on the top of my head and new spouts coming through that most days my only option is to cover it up or do a big comb over and use tons of hair spray. It's no fun, but what I have to do until it grows out.

I hope you find something that works and hope that you get to feeling better soon!

ktani
September 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I was hoping I would not have to post asking for help anymore. :)

But the monster shedding (1000 + hairs a day) isn't stopping, and I am at a loss...and what is worse (!) is the new growth. Without the previous thickness to hide it, I look like I have 80s metal band feathering all over my head.

My hair reaches almost to waist at its longest (I am short waisted). But I have shed so many hairs in the past three months that the taper is more than extreme. When it is in two braids, they are the width of a pencil at shoulder length. The ends are too thin to measure, and I am embarassed to take pictures, it looks so awful, but my avatar and profile pics are now a lie...

Washing with 'cones (Dove) and using gel or mousse to slick it down SEEMED to be working...until we had professional pictures taken the other day. Yes, the ends hung together if I combed them...but all the new growth, starting with my post LHC hair (I am guessing since it's about 10-12 inches long) sticks out in an insane way. It ruins what I hoped would finally be good wedding pics... :(

Previously I could deal with all these different lengths by putting it up, because the thicker long hairs could help secure the shorter ones, if that makes sense. Now there is this wispy messy halo around my head that is too thin and fine to do anything with - I can't ring my head with dozens of barettes every day! The ends are also so thin now - despite constant trimming - that they come out of the few updos I can do (messy half bun half pony things or twists).

I can do a messy updo, but am tired of the same look every day. Some days I would really love to have smooth sleek hair! But at least I don't have any real bald spots or anything. I would love to have the kind of hair I can just twist, pin up, and go, but apparently this is never to be.

I know that a huge chop won't save me. Chin length (the length of the thickest new growth layer) looks terrible on me, and there are so many other lengths of new growth that I would have the same problem. And if I go to a salon they will probably cut layers into it which will just aggravate the problem. Shaving my head would just mean I would start all over again. :(

Right now I have my hair oiled and slicked down with gel and put into two lace braids which turn into regular Dutch braids, something like my profile pic but it looks a lot different of course. Then I have these braids twisted like a French twist and held with a stick. About half of the shorter hairs are trapped in this 'do but since I did it yesterday morning, it is looking a bit frazzly, especially around the part where the new growth poofs out.

I have an almost 6 month old baby who wants to be held all the time so I do not have the time to braid my hair intricately every day! Headscarves look terrible on me. I will also be going back to work in a few weeks and need to find some solutions!

No amount of more washing or less washing or moisture treatments or oiling really help. Washed, it looks a little better, but unwashed, it lies a little smoother. Headbands help. but then there is this ring of new hair behind the headband that looks really bad. Keeping it up seems to be my only option, but it is almost impossible to make it look decent in the time I do have for my hair.

I have NO IDEA what to do with my hair! Has anyone else had this kind of shedding? What did you do?

thanks...

Your doctor may have answers to help with the shedding but everything you are doing now from my experience with thin hair naturally, is making you hair appear thinner than it really is, IMO.

I would cut back on all the coatings, the oil, the gel, all of it.

Try a shampoo for normal hair without too many cones and the least film formers, and use the lightest conditioner you can find. If you still need oil, try camellia oil. It is light and should help with the frizz. Your hair will look fuller and thicker.

ambychelle
September 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Since I'm new here and I came to the boards specifically searching for shedding, I want to say that your posts have been particulary helpful to me. Not to stop the shedding, but just to keep my spirits up.

I hae a hard time finding things that look right on my head. I see other people with hats or headbands and they pull them off so well! I mean really, I just CANNOT wear a 6 inch rose on my temple and not look silly. I'm really just not that girl. I go for things that are more sublte. I love love love everything in this store.. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5371308&page=2

The lace headbands are wide enough to cover a lot of the head, pretty enough without being too much, and they seem like they'd be pretty gentle too.

The snoods are very lovely too but would take a little getting use to.

Of course, if we had hair like hers, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we? :p

Anyway, I think it's hard to find headbands that are sort of "just right" but these look really good. I have a funny shaped skull or something because regular "scarf" headbands (you know, the wide ones that narrow down to a little elastic at the back) never work for me because they ride up and I spend all day readjusthing them. Maybe I don't have enough hair to hold them down back there? Anyway, if you give any of these a try, I'd love to hear how they work out for you.

-- Maybe it's not the same with you, but I get so caught up in worrying over my hairs falling and the anxiety that comes with it that I tend to forget to look around and see everything wonderful I have right now that has NOTHING to do with my hair (or lack of). Sometimes I need a reminder to go snuggle my kids and kiss my husband and take a break from the hair woes. If that's you too... this is your reminder to go snuggle that new baby! :heartbeat

MsBubbles
September 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Katze...:grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear you're still shedding and the new growth isn't tame-able yet.

I imagine caring for a 6 month old does leave you no time at all.

I have not had your shedding problem, but even with my (ii) fine hair, I can't really wear any ficcares because they're too heavy - the bun slides down (ouch!) and fine strands escape.

The only hair accessories that I have found so far that hold my lighter-than-air hair are mini claw clips! I probably am not popular for saying that...I understand people with thick, curly or coarse hair probably can't get those out again and get them all tangled up, but on my head they just slide right out when I pull them. I believe these work because they bear what little weight my bun or updo has, over several points of attachment.

Maybe these would help tame the wispies too? I find when I shove them into my hair, they do stay.

Every second of a baby crying feels like an eternity though, so even if I said 'it'd only take a minute to put these in', it probably wouldn't help. I'm glad to hear you don't have bald spots. Sending you good wishes!

Arctic
September 20th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I'm also sending you good wishes: it saddens me to read about your troubles. I would probably cut to APL or shoulder or even bob if I were you, it really makes the hair look better. Headbands, the wide kind are popular now and will look good, also nice scarf (long and thin) tied around the head is nice look. You can plait the ends into your braid also so it will look thicker. Hmm, I wonder if you would encourage your hair to BE voluminous instead of trying to make it lie flat, would that make the new and old hairs blend in together more? Shorter hair would be easier to make voluminous, I guess. You could use some styling "goo" or something. Also I think a good old hair spay would hold the wispies tamed, wouldn't it?

Tangles
September 21st, 2009, 12:12 AM
No advice, just hugs and support.

FWIW, hair can bounce back pretty quickly without doing a chop. I have had times when my shedding was crazy (though nothing like yours) and yet my circumference (at least in the area up to my shoulders) increased significantly within the span of a couple of months.

Perhaps cut an inch. That may make a difference.

Rebelkat
September 21st, 2009, 12:47 AM
First of all... *hugs*. I can't pretend to know how hard this is for you, with the postpartum hormone shift and caring for a baby, but I hope things start improving soon. IMHO, you really should talk to your doctor about this as it may be more than postpartum hormones causing the problem. Here's hoping that things get better as soon as possible!

Katze
September 21st, 2009, 04:17 AM
thanks again everyone.

I just got my homeopathic stuff from my friend who is treating me - when I picked up the little pellets I combed my hair out and rebraided it talking to her. She saw the amount I shed from just fingercombing (probably 300 hairs) and just smiled and said she is sure this homeopathic thing will help.

Next step is as many of you suggest to ask my doctor. However, although I suspect I have low thyroid, tests do not show this, so there is not much Western medicine can do. My doctor said she would recommend a good Chinese med doctor if I want, but I would have to pay for it all.

Other than that I am treating my hair as I always did - gentle shampoos, alternating with clarifying shampoos, leave-ins and oiling (castor, coconut, wheat germ oils), occasional 'cone use if I want it to look better. I wash every 5-7 days as before - whenever it seems to need it.

And I am taking my prenatal vitamins still, extra Vitamin C, and fish oils.

Trader Joe's shampoos and conditioners are working for me. Also, they're SLS free. I did the no cones thing in stages. I used a less coney conditioner for about a month before I stopped altogether. It seemed to help. Anyway, if you would like to shed less, you could try this. I drop only a few hairs in the shower now and only a few more in my comb. It's amazing. Now I can just let it all catch up with the rest of my hair and be astounded every time I look in the mirror.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I have been mostly no 'cones too, but use occasional 'cones as well as sulfates. I have tried every routine under the sun and found that sulfates are necessary for me, and that occasional 'cone use is not harmful. I use Dove maybe once a month.

Going totally sulfate free gives me buildup which causes itching and more shedding. Also, now, it does not seem to matter if I wash with SLS free or not with the shedding.

Well...this is my own take of course. Have you thought of taking supplements to balance your hormones? Not taking hormones, but taking herbs to help your body get back on track. ...
I take DIM (helps metabolize estrogen).
I take Vitex (helps balance hormones...great for my mood and PMS...just ask my husband :))
I take phytoestrogens.
I take a good multivit and extra B complex.
There are others but these are the important ones.
!

Yes, it does not seem to have anything to do with washing. Everything that worked before works now, but it does not affect shedding.

I am not sure if any of those supplements are available here - Germany has strict laws on what you can buy and where - not at all like the USA. I take American prenatal vitamins (Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatals, recommended by my acupuncturist sister). I will ask my doctor about phytoestrogens too. Good idea. :)

You say you have a 6 month old baby. This may be the problem. I remember after having my children, my hair would shed a few months later. It felt so thin and I was worried I would lose it all. After a while it quit shedding and was back to normal. If yours keeps up like that you should go and see your doctor. It could simply be a hormone imbalance of some kind that can be treated with the right medication. Also any kind of birth control that contains hormones can cause hair to thin, that is if you are using that kind. Have you been checked for thyroid disease? My sister had thyroid disease after her son was born and her hair thinned out drastically until she got treated for it. What kind of diet do you eat? Having a child can take away so much nutrition from your body. Taking a good vitamin supplement plus calcium supplements can be a great help to you. If you feel your hair looks that bad on the ends, maybe a small trim might help but I definitely would NOT get it cut short!

What's wrong with the 80's metal, LOL? That was a cool era!

This is really reassuring, thank you! :flower: it just looks SO terrible, like I have lost all the good care and health my hair had. Basically, it looks like it did 3 years ago, but with longer, stragglier ends.

I eat well. Maybe not enough fresh veggies, but little meat, fairly rich in different kinds of foods. Maybe a bit too much processed grains, but little junk or sugar. The advice to ask my doctor is good.

katze, sorry to hear you're still having post-partum shedding. :grouphug:
The regrowth will start to blend in once it gets to about ear level I think, but it takes a while, escpecially if it's continuing to grow in as you shed (but at least it's re-growing right? that's encouraging :) )

Thank you. :) I know the thickness did move down several years ago, so I hope it can again. It is just the few years or so I have to wait.

Your doctor may have answers to help with the shedding but everything you are doing now from my experience with thin hair naturally, is making you hair appear thinner than it really is, IMO.

I would cut back on all the coatings, the oil, the gel, all of it.

Try a shampoo for normal hair without too many cones and the least film formers, and use the lightest conditioner you can find.

Sorry but I don't think adding extra moisture to my ends is making my hair look thinner. I very occasionally use a tiny amount of hair gel, but no 'coatings' except if I want my hair to stay up. My hair is fine, not thin (except now on the length) so perhaps that is the difference to your experience?

I use natural shampoos and conditioners most of the time alternating with occasional sulfates. This has always helped my fine hair not get weighed down.

Since I'm new here and I came to the boards specifically searching for shedding, I want to say that your posts have been particulary helpful to me. Not to stop the shedding, but just to keep my spirits up.
...headbands (you know, the wide ones that narrow down to a little elastic at the back) never work for me because they ride up and I spend all day readjusthing them. Maybe I don't have enough hair to hold them down back there? Anyway, if you give any of these a try, I'd love to hear how they work out for you.

-- Maybe it's not the same with you, but I get so caught up in worrying over my hairs falling and the anxiety that comes with it that I tend to forget to look around and see everything wonderful I have right now that has NOTHING to do with my hair ...

Thanks for this. My baby is indeed beautiful and is starting to cuddle! My husband is an absolute angel and I don't know what I would do without him.

I also have the funny shaped skull where cloth headbands fall off. even worse, I am a bike rider. The link you provided is good, though I don't know if I would order something like that without being able to try it first. I also have a huge head...

I have not had your shedding problem, but even with my (ii) fine hair, I can't really wear any ficcares because they're too heavy - the bun slides down (ouch!) and fine strands escape.

The only hair accessories that I have found so far that hold my lighter-than-air hair are mini claw clips! I probably am not popular for saying that...I understand people with thick, curly or coarse hair probably can't get those out again and get them all tangled up, but on my head they just slide right out when I pull them. I believe these work because they bear what little weight my bun or updo has, over several points of attachment.

Maybe these would help tame the wispies too? I find when I shove them into my hair, they do stay.

Thanks for this. I am also a fan of mini claw clips - have to be careful with them but they hold updos better than anything else. Ficcares work for me if I position them well (including scalp hair into the jaws of the clip so the 'do doesn't slide) but I hate the wispy messy look! Before, it at least looked like I had a lot of hair. Now it just looks unkempt.

I'm also sending you good wishes: it saddens me to read about your troubles. I would probably cut to APL or shoulder or even bob if I were you, it really makes the hair look better. Headbands, the wide kind are popular now and will look good, also nice scarf (long and thin) tied around the head is nice look. You can plait the ends into your braid also so it will look thicker. Hmm, I wonder if you would encourage your hair to BE voluminous instead of trying to make it lie flat, would that make the new and old hairs blend in together more? Shorter hair would be easier to make voluminous, I guess. You could use some styling "goo" or something. Also I
think a good old hair spay would hold the wispies tamed, wouldn't it?

Hair spray - yes sort of. I don't want to damage it, so I don't use it very often, but for my wedding, it did help. Daily use, well, I would feel guilty, you know?

The scarf is a good idea. Going to have to find the time to play with this.

I used to encourage my hair to be voluminous. We have similar hair so you probably know how it got messy and wild, but, yes, looked 'big.' Actually during my pregnancy it was so thick and wild I did not know what to do with it. Now I have all of the mess but none of the volume because there are so many short hairs sticking out of thinner longer hairs, if that makes sense.

A bob will sadly not work with my face and body type. Anything between a marine corps cut and shoulder length looks just plain bad on me.

I'm just going to try to live with it and see if the homeopathic treatment helps. If not, I will ask my doctor about hormones. She actually listens, so I hope she can help me find something.

thanks again to everyone for your support even if you can't make my hairs stay in my head... :)

ktani
September 21st, 2009, 07:05 AM
thanks again everyone.

Other than that I am treating my hair as I always did - gentle shampoos, alternating with clarifying shampoos, leave-ins and oiling (castor, coconut, wheat germ oils), occasional 'cone use if I want it to look better. I wash every 5-7 days as before - whenever it seems to need it.

Sorry but I don't think adding extra moisture to my ends is making my hair look thinner. I very occasionally use a tiny amount of hair gel, but no 'coatings' except if I want my hair to stay up. My hair is fine, not thin (except now on the length) so perhaps that is the difference to your experience?

I understand what you are saying but all of the oils you mention from my experience and from what others have said about them can be heavy on fine hair. If you do not find them so, that is great. I have not used all of them on my hair (I used wheat germ oil years ago). Castor oil from what I understand, leaves a coating on the hair that can be difficult to remove.

rhubarbarin
September 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hey Katze, I wonder if you have ever checked out stopthethyroidmadness.com?

Hypothyroid treatment and testing is controversial, and the most recent guidelines are not followed by most doctors. Most are still only administering two tests, the TSH and T4 (only two of several essential hormones the thyroid produces), which do not show deficiencies in many patients with very real thyroid problems.

This site gives a good overview of the new testing guidelines, which are still not followed by most doctors. Maybe you were given every possible test already, but if not, perhaps you could pursue a new doctor and appropriate testing...

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately it takes a long time to get your body back to normal after a pregnancy. Especially if you're breast-feeding, then your hormones just keep jumping around! I've heard it said "9 months up, 9 months down", and that's pretty much true. My hair was absolutely unmanageable for a year after having my last kid. And I really think it had to do with hormonal changes, like the increased shedding post-preg. I wonder if this is what tempts so many women to cut their hair after having children?

I would try to have patience with my body and my hair. Treat both as well as possible. Eat right, take vitamins, baby your hair as much as you can. Eventually things will get back on track - although I'm sorry it's affecting your life in this way. :flower:

jivete
September 21st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Katze I hope you find the solution you need. I don't have any suggestions but wanted to offer my support.

I will say that Ktani may be on to something. When I use convential products and wash more frequently, my hair is fluffier and definitely looks thicker. Oils will make my hair lay better but also look thinner. More frequent washes also give me fuller looking hair.

hennared
September 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM
I can just say I relate, though for totally different reasons, and to the thinning without the crazy regrowth! I agree with Ktani; more frequent washings with cone free products, will help; at least, it works for me. When I really can't stand my hair, I like to wear a scarf around my head, behind my ears; it kind of 'lifts' the hair behind it a bit, and keeps it out of my sight some (and hence, out of mind!) I'll use a wide headband this way, too. (I tend to do this and yet still pull some of my front hair such that it is still framing my face, since I don't like the all pulled back look at all on me).

At any rate, I hope the shedding will calm down soon, and you can be more at peace about waiting for the regrowth to get longer!

Katze
September 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hey Katze, I wonder if you have ever checked out stopthethyroidmadness.com?

Hypothyroid treatment and testing is controversial, and the most recent guidelines are not followed by most doctors. Most are still only administering two tests, the TSH and T4 (only two of several essential hormones the thyroid produces), which do not show deficiencies in many patients with very real thyroid problems.

This site gives a good overview of the new testing guidelines, which are still not followed by most doctors. Maybe you were given every possible test already, but if not, perhaps you could pursue a new doctor and appropriate testing...

thanks, yes, i have seen this site. although german docs do not seem to like to listen to patients' own diagnoses, my two docs (whoever has time) are respectful and well informed. however when it comes ro these tests, or anything 'new', I am not sure anyone here will have even heard of this. germany is in many ways very conservative...

washing more at this point might help, but with my fine wavy hair there is a very, very fine line. It needs moisture but also cleansing, yet the M thickness, 'wiry' underlayer craves oiling.

this whole thing is like being set back in my hair progress several years.

but the homeopathic treatment is making me feel more positive and relaxed, and I am hoping to get into the tub when baby sleeps. relaxing can only help.

thanks everyone...

Katze
September 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=magenta]Unfortunately it takes a long time to get your body back to normal after a pregnancy. Especially if you're breast-feeding, then your hormones just keep jumping around! I've heard it said "9 months up, 9 months down", and that's pretty much true. My hair was absolutely unmanageable for a year after having my last kid. And I really think it had to do with hormonal changes, like the increased shedding post-preg. I wonder if this is what tempts so many women to cut their hair after having children?

if I were not committed to long hair I would definitely go to a stylist for professional 'gelp' and a 'flattering' haircut right now!

and it is true i am still recovering from a very difficult birth.

ambychelle
September 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM
but the homeopathic treatment is making me feel more positive and relaxed, and I am hoping to get into the tub when baby sleeps. relaxing can only help.

thanks everyone...

WHAT?!! Your baby sleeps? Babies DO that? It never seemed like mine did. :p

The 6-18 months age is REALLY fun. That's my favorite baby stage. I don't miss teh newborn stage AT ALL but I dearly miss the 6-18 months phase. So fun.

Roseate
September 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Next step is as many of you suggest to ask my doctor. However, although I suspect I have low thyroid, tests do not show this, so there is not much Western medicine can do. My doctor said she would recommend a good Chinese med doctor if I want, but I would have to pay for it all.

If you can afford it at all, do try the Chinese doctor for your thyroid. My friend has struggled with hypothyroid for years, never had good results with Western medicine, but is seeing great improvement since visiting a doctor of Chinese medicine. It can be very effective.

Hampshirelass
September 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
I feel so much for you. I have had awful post partum shedding in the past and am currently going through a huge shed at the moment - seemingly for no reason. I'm trying so hard to stay calm about it.....

I have had five babies, and with each one I had a massive, massive shed that started when baby was around 2 months and finished at about 6 months. When I washed my hair I would get a good 4 or 5 handfuls shed. I never counted how many hairs, but I had to unblock the drain at least 4 or 5 times during my hair wash. I ended up with my hair disappearing at my temples and it was very, very thin on top - it was almost as if I was showing male pattern baldness. The length was very wispy and thin.

It did stop shedding so much eventually, but my hair was a mess and took quite a while to start to thicken again - I had stupid sticky up hair sprouting at my temples for ages and I hated it so much.

When my hair loss was at it's worst, I wore bandanas and scarves to try to hide it, hairspray and combing over only helped so much and I much preferred to hide it even though the look didn't suit me. As it started to grow longer and thickened up a little, hairspray was my friend - I know that it can be damaging, but I figured that I would rather feel better about myself *now* and deal with any damage in the future.

I agree with the posters who said to see your Dr and get everything checked. I know little about alternative therapies, but I so hope that all you are trying helps you.

GlennaGirl
September 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Oh lord but my hair went wonky after my last child. But then again, it turns out I was hypothyroid, probably building to it for some time (with Hashimoto's, sometimes your body attacks the thyroid more, sometimes less, making the earliest presentation of it sometimes a crapshoot as far as blood tests go...but I digress).

I thinned significantly after E's birth but then my hair thickness seemed to stabilize so at the time I did put it down to PP shedding. Now it's three years later, and suddenly this spring I had a horrendous shed again...just look at my siggie pic. :( I call myself a ii but barely, and I mean that literally, by a...hair. (Har, har...) Even then, that's not what drove me to the doctor, but rather, exhaustion...something that, again, I had simply been chalking up to having a baby in the house; then a toddler in the house...then...then I ran out of excuses, and got checked.

But my point here is...I had just gotten diagnosed with Hashi's when this second (more recent--non-postpartum) big shed happened. The only reason I wouldn't have associated it with postpartum shedding is because E is now three years old. If it had just sort of overlapped the normal PP shed, I'd not have thought much of it.

So do get your hormones tested. I'd recommend it to any new mother anyway. After about 8-12 weeks, you should just go on in and get a thyroid panel. One of the issues that can kick off latent thyroid disease is childbirth, simply because of the hormone fluctuations in general that cause imbalances. I would just do it if you can and if your doctor is amenable. It might not be that; it really could just be a big PP shed. But rule out medical possibilities just for your peace of mind.

Babyfine
September 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
My two ds's - now 13 and 15years old- are 19 months apart.
During mytwo pregancies -my hair grew fast and thick and lush.(compared to what it was before) For once in my life I had a decent looking braid and ponytail, that didn't look like a rat-tail!
As soon as I quite nursing Ds # 1 I was pg with ds #2-whom I nursed for 13 months. My hair shed terribly after I had him-so much so that I cut from around BSL to a short(earlobe length) layered style because I felt I had no other option.
I hated it that short- but it was easy to maintain.
This was in 1996-long before LHC or internet access for me so I didn't know any of the things I could have done different, like put it up, or essential oils for thickening.
Also, what I didn't know was that during pregancy all the hair you are supposed to shed -you don't- making for thicker hair-because of all the hormones, and when you have the baby and the hormones go down-you shed all those hairs
you WOULD have shed- so you are not really going bald- you are just shedding hair that should have been shed during that period, which is why you don't see any bald spots.
So don't despair. Maybe you can cut a little off-but don't cut off as much as I did!
It's funny that some women don't seem to be affected. My mother and my stepdaughter have both told me their hair never changed during pregnancy or after. Mine sure did! Congratulations on your little one by the way!

Babyfine
September 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Oh and I wanted to add that your hair will recover-mine did.:)(although it's hardly thick-but it was thin before I got pg-so that's another story.

Katze
September 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
During mytwo pregancies -my hair grew fast and thick and lush.(compared to what it was before) For once in my life I had a decent looking braid and ponytail, that didn't look like a rat-tail!
Also, what I didn't know was that during pregancy all the hair you are supposed to shed -you don't- making for thicker hair-because of all the hormones, and when you have the baby and the hormones go down-you shed all those hairs
you WOULD have shed- so you are not really going bald- you are just shedding hair that should have been shed during that period, which is why you don't see any bald spots.
So don't despair. Maybe you can cut a little off-but don't cut off as much as I did!

My hair was also amazingly lush and actually TOO thick during pregnancy - I often did not know what to do with it. I was happy to shed a little, but 1000 + hairs a day are more than I would have shed during that time, it seems. My temples do look thin now.

I am keeping up with the trimming I have been doing all the time anyway. Trying not to overdo it - on a bad day last week when I had not slept I almost cut it off - luckily DH walked into the bathroom and I was too ashamed to do so.

Oh and I wanted to add that your hair will recover-mine did.:)(although it's hardly thick-but it was thin before I got pg-so that's another story.

Thank you. I think my normal hair thickness is normal - ii - and I am fine with that, if I can grow enough to eventually cut off all this taper. I find that tapered ends, on my hair, look like my hair is damaged and ratty.

I realized, too, I should have posted that the REAL problem with my hair at the moment is the new growth. The longest layer is about chin length and sticks out all over my head, and is very, very difficult to tame. That is why I have been using heavy oiling, gels, etc to slick it down so I can at least braid it, because NOTHING else works to have my hair out of my, and baby's, way.

Hoping this shedding will indeed stop soon. Baby Kitty will be six months old on the 7th - four months of heavy shedding are just about enough, thank you.

Babyfine
September 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Katze, I hope it does for you, too!
I just recently went through a short shed which thankfully stopped- must have been my annual fall shed-I'm in peri-menopause now, so far that hasn't caused any unusual shedding-yet!

Fillette
September 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hello Katze :flower:,
I am sorry that you are going through such a rough stage. I have no experience with pp shedding but based on what others have said so far, things should get better after a while.

In the meantime, have you considered getting some cheap hair extensions or maybe some fake ponytails/chignons so you can style your hair easily when you need to go out. I know you mentioned going back to work soon...

I went through a phase when my hair was very poorly layered and I had the mullet look. [ETA: you can still see remnants of the mullet in my siggy pic. /end ETA] My braids and my buns looked so tiny. I was very unhappy with myself. I got some fake hair extensions that I would braid in with my hair and that gave my braids a decent size. I would wear my hair braided most of the time: to school, to run errands, to my part-time job, etc. When I wanted a little bit of a change, I had a fake ponytail that I would wear on top of my hair, which I would carefully bun prior. And no, I did not get to wear my hair down for a while but I least I thought my hairstyles were decent looking and I had some options.

Bottom line, I think you should NOT cut your hair. You have worked so hard for it. You need to find a way to live through the difficult period until things get better. Once you find a couple of hairstyles you can fall back on, it will be easier to try to forget about your hair while it does its thing.

Again, these are just suggestions. I hope you find what works for you. :grouphug:

spidermom
September 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
I have a few ideas; I hope something is helpful.
1) Wash more frequently.
2) Bend forward after washing and apply mousse at the roots, work through, maybe blow-dry on cool a little at the roots to encourage volume. Or finger fluff.
3) Oil only before washing. Maybe wear a wig that day. I bought 2 when my hair was still short; they were fun, though hot. It will be getting cold soon so keeping your head warm might be a good thing. It will be like a hot oil treatment.
4) Try styling pomade, wax, or putty to smooth surface hairs down. It helps. I use Natures Gate Styling Putty nearly every day to tame my frizzly-frazzly sticky-ups.
5) Keep it trimmed at the shortest length you can tolerate until those new hairs grow out enough to add enough thickness to make you feel better about it.

saskia_madding
September 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Can I ask what your homeopathic friend suggested for you? Maybe you mentioned that, but I didn't see it.