PDA

View Full Version : anyone using msm experiencing anxiety?

curlytiff27
September 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hi all,
I think that the msm is causing sever anxiety for me. I started taking it about 6 weeks ago. I am taking it for the hair shedding reasons. I thought I was loosing my hair because it seemed like there was less there. Well, my hair dresser had layered the heck out of my hair and therefore on my naturally curly hair, my ends looked straggily. I typically shed a lot I think because I do wear a lot of gel and hair spray in my hair so detangling it, alot comes out. Well since starting msm I have become obsessive thinking I should not be loosing any hair or very little. Last night I deep conditioned my hair and about 35 hairs came out with finger combing. Then throughout the night because I kept feeling my hair I lost another 15 or so. To sit here and read what I am writting I feel like I'm loosing my mind. I'm always worried about my hair and driving my husband crazy with the constant worry too! Sooo did any one else start msm for the hair shed reason and feel like this? Or AM I loosing my mind?

Also, is there something else I could use for my shedding? I've heard garlic works but not sure? Thanks for any imput!

BlueWaterRed
September 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I had a similar reaction years ago when taking a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo for joint stiffness, not hair. It made me feel too revved up like drinking too much caffeine, which can for some people produce an anxiety-like feeling.

People react to MSM differently. Some people get relief of anxiety with it, some experience more anxiety.

If you're getting some benefit from the MSM, you could try taking a half dose for a while to see if that reduces the anxious feelings. You may be someone who cannot take MSM comfortably.

I hope you feel better soon and find something that works well for you and makes you feel good.

BlueWaterRed
September 20th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Actually, I just re-read your post and you said "severe anxiety." I think you may want to stop taking MSM altogether today. Although supplements can be beneficial, they do react with other supplements, prescribed meds, and some of the other things we consume. There's lots of good support here for shedding, and I hope you find something that works well for you.