PDA

View Full Version : How many still go to a hair stylist?

QueenMadge
September 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I'm just curious how many LHC'rs go to a hair salon for any kind of service. Trims, condition, color or whatever....I am thinking about not going anymore as I a. no longer color my hair. b. don't really need to pay someone else to trim it when I can do that myself. and c. my current person has had some personal issues that make me not want to see her and I don't want to go through the hunt for another.

Quixii
September 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I never used a hair stylist. :)
My mom, who also has tailbone length hair, does for colour and trim. But if you don't want the colour and can do your own trim, why bother spending money to go to someone else?

QueenMadge
September 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I voted for three of the choices because I used to go every three months for a trim, once a month or so for a deep conditioning and very occasionally for mani-pedi. I don't know if I'll go to my nail person anymore as I am moving away from chemicals on my person that I don't need to be exposed to, but sometimes the pampering is fun.

QueenMadge
September 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Its true. I have been thinking about not going for some time. I made my current appt. three months ago and was trying to decide whether to keep it or not. I am able to do the deep conditioning at home without the bad combing that I get at salons. I have trimmed the ends and splits myself for a while and my hair will eventually be long enough to do one of the self trim methods for shaping.

Elenna
September 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I used to get my hair colored and trimmed bi-monthly with a regular hair stylist. Then I decided to stop coloring and start growing. Wish I had done this years ago. I still go for trims every 2-4 months, since I found a Madora hair salon in Encinitas.

Elvi
September 19th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I am in the same boat. Last time I tried a cut in a hair salon was 12 years ago. After that I have cut by myself or someone in the family has helped me to trim from behind. I gave up experiments with hair colors some 20 years ago because of an allergic reaction. But I still might go to a hair stylist, if I wanted to have a complicated updo for some occasion.

clairenewcastle
September 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hairdressers? Never! Since the age of 11 when my mother insisted my mid-back length hair was chopped to a pixie totally against my will, right throughout my teens when I wasn't allowed to grow it again and into my 30's when visits involved them never listening to what I wanted.....I don't think I've ever had a single positive experience in a hairdressers. My husband has cut it for the last number of years, he's got an artist's eye so it I'm happy with the shape it ends up.

Shiva
September 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I still go to my hairdresser (my mother) for trims... sometimes she even comes to me to give me the trim. Hair house calls!

purplebubba
September 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Voted never need to.
I started self trimming using Feye's instructions in 2004 and no longer need someone else's hands to reach it.
I never had any problems when I went. I just don't have the need to pay for it anymore.
I haven't been to a salon since 2000.

AJoifulNoise
September 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I went infrequently most of my childhood. It was always a big deal and I remember most of the times in detail. Then I went for a couple years without cutting or anything so I had no need. Since then I've been trimming myself so I still have no need for a stylist.

Gingevere
September 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The last few years, I went to a stylist to get a 1/4"-1/2" dusting every 3 months, but quickly started to realize that it was a waste of money. Why pay for someone to wash, cut, blow dry and flat iron my hair when all I want is a little bitty trim? I just recently started using Feye's method and it's worked great so far. It's been a very liberating experience, knowing I no longer need a hair stylist!

KarpatiiSiv
September 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Never ever been to a hairdresser for anything. I've never coloured my hair and my sister would trim it for me - my hair has always been shoulder length or longer. Since my sister moved some distance away I've been doing my own trims using Feye's method. I don't need a hairdresser.

23_seconds
September 19th, 2009, 07:58 PM
||||||||||

dernhelm
September 19th, 2009, 08:18 PM
No need to go to a salon regularly. However, I will probably go sometime next year to get a trim, if needed.

windinherhair
September 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I used to go regularly every 3 months for trims, but I havent been since I joined LHC in April. I have trimmed my own bangs, and so far so good. :)

inertia
September 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I go to the salon mostly for color, but sometimes I get trims as well. I get my color lightened from nearly-black to medium brown. My stylist can do it faster and more skillfully than me, and she uses gentler dyes than I can buy. Japan doesn't have shops like Sally's or Ricky's which sell professional supplies to non-industry people.

Plus, the salon has piles of the latest American and British fashion magazines. (LOL) It's nice to catch up on American fashion without paying import prices for a magazine I'll only read once anyway.

Sissy
September 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Never, no need to. For a short period of time I was going to one a few years back. I was going every month to get a deep treatment but I hated the way they brushed through my hair after, which I feel caused a lot of damage so I stopped going. Also, I got a heat cap so I wouldn't need to go out to do hot deep conditioning treatments :eyebrows:

rexy
September 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I haven't been to one for over a year and I don't ever plan on going back! :)

yogachic
September 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I put other because 4 months ago I went to a stylist, but I don't even call them a stylist, cuz 98% if the time I am not happy with their work.

Konstifik
September 20th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Me, my hair and my economy is much better off now without stylists. When I went semi-WO and let my boyfriend dye my hair, it's in a way better quality (and length!) then the trim-at-the-stylist-days. :)

bluewhiteblue
September 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I stopped going over a year ago. The woman who cut my hair has been doing so since I was little and never cut off too much (my mom occasionally gave me trims years ago as well). I actually quit going because I couldn't afford it... and then I decided to intentionally acquire very long hair, and now just do self-trims.

Lemur_Catta
September 20th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I have never gone regularly to the hair stylist, like my mother or my sister do, because I have never cut regularly my hair (even when I wasn't growing it, I let it grow until summer or until I didn't like it anymore before cutting it again, I have never wanted to keep a particular haircut).
The last time I went I cut my fringe, but I don't know if I am going to go again or if I will just be growing it.
So it is "other"...I don't go regularly, but it is not "never"...once in 1 or 2 years I think.

paintedmuse
September 20th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I never go to a hair stylist. The last time I did must have been about two years ago. I trim my own hair and I'm really happy about that, because I never liked to go to a stylist. I always felt uncomfortable and often wasn't happy with the result.

ooo
September 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM
i'll start going to a hair stylist in the end of next year for S&D and microtrimms.

Brownie
September 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM
My aunt is hair stylist, I never went to a hair salon in my life :D
She always does a great job and I trust her.

Sissy
September 20th, 2009, 06:07 AM
i'll start going to a hair stylist in the end of next year for S&D and microtrimms.

Do hair stylists do S&D? I guess they would if someone requested it. I bought a good quality pair of scissors and do my own S&D and deep treatments with a heat cap. Much less expensive than going to a stylist. About 2 times per year I have a family friend come give me a trim but I'm moving towards having my husband do it or to do a self-trim.

EvaSimone
September 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I do go ever so often to get a professional trim because even with Feye's self trim it's nice to have a "professional" fix my ends evenly.

I also always go if I need to have my hair done for a special event like weddings or whatever. I think it's completely worth it and I just won't let them back comb.

I've never had problems with stylists because I speak to them very clearly about what I want. I don't leave them with any confusion about how much hair I want to get cut or what methods they can use to style my hair.

LutraLutra
September 20th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I still go to my hairdresser for trims and micro trims. My hair is still too short for me to be able really get at the back of my head, perhaps I'll feel differently when it's longer. :shrug: I'm also a real klutz with scissors and I'm not sure I trust myself.

Isa-belle
September 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Never. I trim my hair myself, and I only use natural products, which I just wouldn't find at a hairdresser's (at least not here). I prefer to save the money I'd spent at a hairdresser's for hair toys :p

karli
September 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Do hair stylists do S&D? I guess they would if someone requested it. I bought a good quality pair of scissors and do my own S&D and deep treatments with a heat cap. Much less expensive than going to a stylist. About 2 times per year I have a family friend come give me a trim but I'm moving towards having my husband do it or to do a self-trim.
My hairstylist does. I last visited her in february, done a couple of selftrims since, and will go to her in december again. Feyes selftrim works great, but not on layers and I like to get my hemline adjusted. I can`t get it quite even by myself

Marika
September 20th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I last visited a hairdresser in September 2002. I don't color my hair anymore and I trim it myself (or my sister does) so no need to go anymore. I use some professional salon products but I buy them online.

Elphie
September 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I used to visit a salon about every 4 or 5 months for trims and sometimes for color. About two years ago, I stopped visiting completely, mainly to save a little cash and if I wanted to color, I could do it myself. My sister is a hairdresser now, so she takes care of my itty-bitty trims at home.

Kris Dove
September 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I used to go maybe every 3 months or so, but I just done Feye's self trim today for the first time with fab results! It took less than 5 minutes and saved me £12 so I won't be going back to a stylist for trims!

I will, however, still go if I want a fancy up-do for a special occasion, especially as my hair starts getting longer and can take some of the more elaborate ones!

Sairy
September 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I used to go for hair trims maybe once every year (or less), but the last time I was there she cut off so much that I felt like I had to start all over again growing my hair long. That was about 3 months ago so now I've decided not to go again for a very long time so my hair can grow without interruption at leas for a while :p

I saw some of you mentioning Feye's self trim and looked it up and thought it looked good so maybe I will give that a try instead.

Angharad
September 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
No, my husbands trims my hair occasionally, but not until july 2012 because of developing fairy-ends.

deko
September 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Never, no need to.

I color and trim my hair by myself. I used to visit a hairdresser once a year to even out my hemline, now my hair is finally so long that I can trim it and get very good results.

metalgypsy85
September 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM
No, I decided not to anymore. I can trim my own hair and I don't color or need super deep conditioning yet.

Hiriel
September 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Still go? I never really did. The last time I got my hair cut by a professional was at the age of 12. Since then I've had long (well, not LHC-long, but around APL to BSL) hair, and my mother trimmed it, until my boyfriend took over.

Telle
September 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I stop going this year. Last summer I went for a trim left 4 inches shorter. When I went to another person in January she cut layers went I asked her not to and charged me extra $8 dollar, because I had long hair (3 inches below shoulders) without telling she charged more for long hair. During my trim She said more than once I am getting hair all over me. She made a big deal out of it to the point I felt I need to say sorry. Now I self trim out of fear of the salon. Which is just very sad. I would love to find a really good stylist that listens to me.

Nacaya
September 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I last visited a hair stylist in 2004 (I guess). Now there's no need anymore since my hair's long enough again to trim it myself. I also don't color it (an never did before), so there's absolutely no reason to spend money on a hair stylist ;)

cakebaker
September 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I go for color every 5-6 weeks. I used to get highlights but I just can't do that to my hair anymore and still grow it out. I have tried in the past to go without color and I can't. I just like my hair better colored and enjoying my hair is what it is all about anyway. I have found a great stylist who has beautiful waist length hair. She understands what it is like to try to grow hair out and doesn't act like I am breaking some kind of hair salon rule if I don't want a trim everytime I come. Going to the salon can be fun and relaxing if you find a good stylist you click with. I made the mistake of sticking with stylists I didn't really like. Then I decided I was just going to keep going to different people until I found one I got along well with. It paid off, should have done that years ago...my hair would be a lot longer now if I had!
:pumpkin: Love this winking pumpkin, had to put him in!

eadwine
September 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
My stylist comes to my house when I call her for a micro trim. Once every few months, when my ends feel like they need one.

florenonite
September 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I voted other, because I go occasionally to get my hair trimmed, but it's hardly regular (something like once a year).

amaiaisabella
September 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Since I just cut my hair, I suppose I will be going to the salon/stylist a lot more often :p

I usually go every 4 months or so for a trim and shaping, but as I'm getting used to my shorter hair, I think I might stick with it a while. I'm estimating every 2 months or so I'll have to go in, depending on how it grows out.

slynn41202
September 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I don't go - I've never found anyone I trust, which means everyone I've went to since I've had long hair has cut way more hair than I wanted them too.

If I did color my hair I probably would go for that, but I'm not sure, since I've never thought about seriously coloring it.

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Never, no need to. Now that I've discovered how to trim my own hair, and found a good solution for longer lengths as well, I don't even need to find a trusted friend or spouse to do it for me. :D And I'm cone-free, so I doubt that any deep-conditioner a salon could offer me would work well with my current routine.

Roseate
September 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've been going for a trim twice a year for the past five years or so. I have a stylist I trust, and that's often enough to keep my layers in shape and my ends fresh.

emeraldfaery
September 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
I never go to hair stylists and I never really have. I think I can count on one hand the times I've had my hair cut by someone other than my mom.

Irishred
September 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
I voted "Never, No need" I rarely went while growing up because my mom trimmed my hair most of the time. Now, I self trim and I cut DH's and all our kids hair (3 boys 1 girl). Usually, the trims come out looking pretty good, the only time they don't is when one of the kids won't stay still.

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
I still go for color and a few high lights about 3-4 times a year. That's something I can't do at home. I have a friend do my trims and that's so much more pleasant than going to a salon. I do all my deep conditioning at home.

Dars
September 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
10 months ago was the last time I had anything done by a hair dresser. After that and discovering LHC I decided I can care for my hair better and with a happier result.

Magrat
September 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Well, I did vote going to a hair stylist regularly, but that's only correct if you consider once a year being regular. :D

When I grew up my mom used to trim my hair, as a teen I had a couple of bad experiences and went only a couple of times a year after that. And then for many years I didn't go at all. During that period me and my ex (at that time SO) trimmed each other's hair. He also had long hair - but not quite my length. :p

These days I try to check my daughter's hair every other month for split ends and cut a little bit if it seems needed, and try to check my own with about the same regularity.

Once a year, I treat us both to a visit to a professional. But only to an eco-friendly place, and only to trim.
I am rarely dissapointed, I specify that I only want trimming what's absolutely needed, and have normally gotten a good response.

Nightshade
September 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
The only time I've gone since high school was for updos for weddings (which doesn't count on this list).

My DH trims for me :)

Altocumulus
September 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
I haven't gone to a salon since I learned how to trim my own hair. I think a really good professional trim gets a better result than I can get by myself, but I can duplicate a merely adequate trim, which is sufficient for me.

Rainchants
September 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Yes, I go for hair trims regularly, because I am afraid trimming too diagonal myself, haha.

LadyLongLocks
September 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Never, no need to. I do it all myself now. I have not been in a salon for at least 25 years!
When my hair needed trimming at shorter lengths, I would have family members trim it for me until my son took off 8" during a trim in 05. At that point I figured out how to trim it myself.
I would feel very strange even walking into a salon at this point.

JCFantasy23
September 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I have natural dark brown hair. I wanted blonde hair very badly when I was younger so used Sun-in, then hair dye, and go nowhere. Went to Sams's salons a few times and it looked as good as it did when I dyed it myself at that age. Once was treated to a higher end salon and the guy was sweet and did a GREAT job!

Years later I started dyeing my hair myself and just stuck with it, could only ever get Loreal to work for me, and for years kept it blonde. When I went back to my natural color people had actually believed blonde was my real color. Can't see how as I always saw roots clearly.:rolleyes: Point is I got my hair tamed and coloring myself was easy, no reason to go to a salon.

I never trust anyone with trimming my hair.

honeybrown1976
September 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I've severely cut my salon visits to 4x a year. I wasn't hitting my goals by constantly going. I do most of my treatments and care by myself. I now only go for services I can't do.

Jeepchick99tj
September 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I also go for the pampering at aveda salons. Their cuts include scalp oiling, quick back massage, arm and hand massage with oil, facial, make up touch up. I had a very good stylist, who did a fantastic job of trimming my hair and listening to what I want. Sometimes it's nice to have some one else take care of the task when you have the money!

Laylah
September 27th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I've only ever visited a salon once. My mother always trimmed my hair for me, until I was 11 or 12 and I wanted to get layers, so I got layers at a salon. I haven't gone back to a salon since then, so my mom trims my hair when it's needed.

mira-chan
September 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I've never been to a hair stylist in my life. My mum trims my hair when needed.

Tanuki
September 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM
In your lift?

mira-chan
September 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
In your lift?
Err... opps, typo. Fixed now, thanks. :o

zen_oven
September 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Guess I missed the poll. . . hope it's okay to chime in anyway. I would have said other because I really only go for fringe trims and the occasional length trim (just a teensy bit). My stylist is awesome and only cuts off what I ask her to, no more, no less.