PDA

View Full Version : How do you accurately measure your length?

SandyStar
September 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm having trouble accurately measuring my length. I tried measuring from the front hairline to the end of my hair on my back, but it's really hard to get a good measurement by myself. Then I just measured the hair from my part down to the hair on my left shoulder. That was easier, but I am still having trouble getting an accurate measurement.

There is a slight wave to my ends and I'm not sure if I should straighten it out or what. I just left it hanging. How do you all measure to the nearest half an inch?

Are there any tricks to measuring?

I'm thinking my monthly measurements are probably not going to be accurate so I plan on measuring every 3 months. Hopefully my hair will have grown enough for me to measure after 3 months.

jojo
September 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I am terrible at measuring my hair, but I go from my hairline, over my head to the ends. I find it easier now as I stand side ways in front of a mirror so I can see where the tape measure ends. Its never accurate though just a rough guide. Now I have highlights I work my length out by my roots LOL.

rhubarbarin
September 20th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I do the standard LHC measure, over-the-head from the front hairline and down the back, but I really judge by where my wet hair falls in front.

It is hard to do accurately on your own, but you can always ask someone to help you.. I have and they didn't think it was too weird. ;)

redneckprincess
September 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
For me I start the tip of the measuring tape at the front of my hair line which is the sharpest end of the v on my widows peak. over my head and down to the longest ends of hairs and pull to straighten out the ends. (if not flat ironed...wich isnt very often anymore) I also comprimise {usually about 1.5" diffrence} with letting it fall naturally.If I measured right now I could get between 18 or so to just past 19". So Im calling it 18.5" It dosent matter which method you use just use the same one every time.

I am luckly enough to have 3 mirrors that fold up so I can see the back of my head very nicely for my med. cabnet in my bathroom...If you dont, you can always use a hand held mirror to see the back of your head in a bigger mirror...or you can always ask someone for help...My DD12 is learning how to help.

I probally measure up or down to the nearest half inch or so...some on here measure to the exact millimeter...im not that concerned, lol

Heidi_234
September 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I used to measure 4 different ways:
- The LHC way, from the hairline, to the back of the head on down to the hemline
- from the center part to my shortest layer (which grows from there)
- from the nape to the ends of the nape layer
- from the hairline, in front of my face to the tips of my grown out bangs

From my experience will all these, the one that proved to be most consistent (and therefore I'll assume the more accurate) was the bangs measurement. It makes sense, since the measuring tape is right in front of your eyes so you can see if it skewed or not. Unlike other measurements with 2" deviations either way this one was consistently 0.4" a month for many months.

The two layer measurements (center part and nape) were the least reliable, I could get anything from 2" growth to -1.5" without having a trim or anything. Not to mention it never seem to happen on my bangs, which were steadily growing 0.4" a month.

The standard LHC is relatively accurate, but can make no sense quite often. I found out too many things influence the outcome - slightly tilt your head forward and you've just added 0.5" to your length easily. Since the tape goes over the back of your head, you can see if you hold it angled, which can add a little bit of length as well.

Measuring by your arm is just as inaccurate because it depends on your posture and whether you rise your shoulder a little bit or lower it a little bit. Going by body milestones - BSL, waist length, hip length is better, even though at certain lengths (such as when you're almost waist) it may look like your hair stalled.

If you have slight wave in your hair, you'd also want to stretch your hair along the measuring tape for more accuracy.

But most important thing is to take these numbers with a grain of a salt because the error range is too big for the type of measurement you do. If you measured the width of your room, 0.5" here or there would matter as much as 0.5" in hair growth.

HTH :flower:

Ina
September 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I am also unsure about how to measure exact. Does anyone have a photo where it shows how to measure?

Teacherbear
September 20th, 2009, 11:37 AM
When I measure, which isn't often, I measure my hair wet. Measuring wet is the most consistent way for me to measure. My hair is wavy/curly, so it depends on the humidity factor and if I've braided or done an updo to bend the hair more. If my hair is wet, it is as straight as it'll get. This way I know from month to month (or time to time) how much my hair has actually grown. It isn't a good indication of how long my hair is *dry*, but I'm ok with that.

I also measure from my forehead over the top of my head. This is the most consistent measure for me, too. My hairline doesn't change (hopefully!). If I measure from the bump on my head, or ears down, or nape down I don't know *for certain* that I'm starting at the same place this month as I did last month.

I know the number, let's say 37 inches isn't how long my longest hair is. It IS a benchmark for what happens over the next month or 6 months or year.

When it comes to handling the measuring tape by itself, this is what I do. I measure from the front hairline to as far as I can reach with one hand. Hold the hair. Move the hand that was at the hairline further down the length, below where the other hand was. Then if there is even more length than that, I move the other hand further down until I get to the ends.

Pierre
September 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I hold the aglet of the tape at my hairline, let it hang behind my head, and grab the hair and tape with my left hand while holding the aglet with my right. (I can touch my hands behind my back only if the right hand is up and the left is down.) Then I slide the left hand down until I feel the end of the hair. I bring the tape to the front and read it. As I have curly fairytale ends, I'm lucky if I can get a reading consistent within 2 cm.