PDA

View Full Version : ? about circumfrence

share801
September 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
How much smaller is your cicumfrence at the end of a ponytail/braid/etc. then at the top? If there is a great difference, would you cut?

I have fine hair anyway, but it seems healthy and not split.

pradabacon
September 19th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I tend to go more by how it looks than actual measurements. I prefer to keep a more blunt hemline, so yes, I would trim if I felt like my hair was getting too thin at the ends.

But it really depends on the individual and how you like to wear your hair. If I did more updos, I probably wouldn't mind some extra taper, as I've heard that's easier to work with. I wear mine down or in a ponytail or braided almost 100% of the time.

If your hair is healthy and you are happy with how it looks, then there's no reason for you to feel like you should cut it. :flower: And a lot of people complain if their braids are very skinny at the ends, but I think it looks just fine.

viking_quest
September 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I would. I hate thin ends and would prefer to have a thicker hemline.

Esperanza
September 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Normally I would trim it to get a better hemline, but now that my hair has reached waist, I don't wear it down except at home for DH, who prefers length over hemline, and I want to find out how long my terminal length is. Once I do that, I will probably keep it trimmed enough to have a good hemline.

:confused:It's entirely an individual thing--do whatever you prefer, and don't be concerned about others, unless they are very close to you, and you like to please them more than to please yourself, like my DH is for me (;) We've been married 43 years!)

Heidi_234
September 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I marked 6" of my ends for a trim due to taper, layers and uneven hemline which all result in super thin ends (it's bad enough to make my braid flip due sudden tapering). Length is too important for me, so I get rid of it little by little, gain significant length and trim 1"-2" off.

It depends on what bothers you - lack of length of thin ends. If neither then you're lucky, if the ends, give them a trim unless you can't stand losing more length. It ain't worth it if you don't enjoy your hair. :)

jasper
September 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
mine tapers to nothing. But I would still have a lot of taper even if I cut it, I think, with fine hair that's not so thick

eternallyverdan
September 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
My ponytail is about 3.8" at the nape and just a bit more than 2" at the bottom, which is a pretty significant difference. But it doesn't really look noticeably thinner at the ends (or at least I don't think it does), so I just let it do its thing. I did trim last month because I hadn't done so in quite a while and they were scraggly and split, but as long as your ends are healthy I would let them grow and see what happens.

vindo
September 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
How much smaller is your cicumfrence at the end of a ponytail/braid/etc. then at the top? If there is a great difference, would you cut?

I have fine hair anyway, but it seems healthy and not split.

My ends are not even 2cm at this length, that is less than 1".

It is normal for most that hair significantly thins out as it gets longer. I don't think it is a bad thing since the same circumference at the bottom would look ginormous and way to heavy.

I think aside from the 2 extremes - ends as thick as the nape and ends consist of 3 hairs anything else is fine and it much depends on who is wearing it.

I don't see any reason to cut my thin ends off, I see what I can do with monthly trims but if that does not bring more change I will still keep my hair long.

Cinnamon Hair
September 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
No, I wouldn't cut just because of a number on the tape measure. It is normal to have a much smaller circumference at the ends than at the base of a ponytail. If the hair looks thinner than you would prefer, then yes trim, but don't just trim because of the number you get when you compact the ends together for measuring --how often do you wear your hair like that? Even in a ponytail the ends will naturally spread out so they appear thicker and when your hair is completely loose you're likely not to notice at all.