PDA

View Full Version : 1c/2a hair issue (question)

marikamt
September 19th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I went cone/ sls free this month, and overall am loving it.
A few days ago however, I noticed that the "top" portion (from where it grows out of my head to about my ears) of my hair seems frizzy... from the ears down, my new care plan has brought me waves I love, but above my ears... meh.
Is this just cone-withdrawal? I have played around w/ leave ins and settled on an Aloe/ coconut oil mixture (as per another thread)....I do deep treatments (SMT)....

DavidN
September 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I am a 2a, bordering on 2b, Marikamt, and the overall waviness of my hair varies with the humidity.

For some reason, my hair has always prefered cones. I tried "cones free" briefly, a couple of years ago, and did not have a lot of success. I admit that the trial was a short one, and possibly, I did not give it a fair chance. I know that some people have a lot more success with going "cones free" than others.

indigonight
September 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I have more wavy hair than yourself marikamt and used to love the smoothness and tangle-free hair I got from cones and so was hard-pressed to give them up, but I did. I would experience similar problems with frizzies close to the ears and realized that I needed to put more conditioner in that area. It is easy to concentrate on the bottoms of hair in the shower when your hair is wet but often the hairs near you ears get hidden and so dont get much conditioner or not enough.
So you should spend time concentrating on that area. I recommend conditioning upside down for this reason only. This way you can condition the top layer and the underneath layer too...

Also do some deep conditioning masks with good, rich cone free products. I really recommend the organic brand aubrey's organic, their rosa mosqueta conditioner and honeysuckle rose are amazing super moisturizing products. They are the best and most conditioning/moisturising there is, in my opinion.

Deep conditioning with a good quality conditioner once to twice a week will make all the difference plus when you pre-poo oil your hair concentrate on oiling the frizzies.....

As David says waviness depends on humidity, so frizzy hair is dry hair but you can make that hair retain more water by moisturizing it often and oiling it!

Hope this helps!

marikamt
September 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
oh, that helps a lot!!!! Thank you so much... I am probably guilty of conditioning less on the top to avoid greasies and stretch my washes longer.......
thank you!