PDA

View Full Version : 90ies party - any hair ideas?

Leoneska
September 19th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I am invited to a 90ies party for next weekend. I remember that was when the "girlie" style was born, so I will wear something like that (bare midriff top...). :p
Any ideas for APL length hair would be greatly appreciated!

manderly
September 19th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Do you have bangs? Hmm, 90s.....were crimping irons 80s?

What I recall from the 90s is big "wave" bangs and brushed out curly hair that just went POOF. It wasn't a good decade for hair ;)

AKA Mall hair.

Kris Dove
September 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Half up bunches, like Baby Spice? I used to wear my hair like this a lot in the late 90s!

Toadstool
September 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Crimpers were 80's sigh. Dreadful for yourb hair but I loved them so much:cool:

manderly
September 19th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Deep side parts as well.

Aer
September 19th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Since your in Berlin I don't know if this will help, but there was a U.S show called Friends, and there was an actress, and she had the most copied hair style here it was called the Jennifer Aniston, after her. I wasn't really into it, but it seemed like that hair style reigned queen in the 90's. It was worn with the bangs kind of big and pushed to the side, and the rest of the hair was kind of big too, but also pretty straight. It wasn't really long, but I do remember girls with APL length hair sporting this style. A lot of the 90's style seemed to be bangs pushed to the side, and a little bit of volume helped. You could probably somehow fake bangs if you don't have any.

I agree with Manderly, it wasn't a great time for hair especially for the more pop or preppy set. But the kids that were in the grunge/rock/alternative scene had okay hair, except some liked to have the really greasy look. They usually went with a really natural, wavy/naturally curly style, with sort of uneven hemlines. And didn't really try to hide any frizzes that popped up. Your party sounds fun though, and I hope you find something cool to do with your hair, let us know what you end up doing and post pictures if you can, because it would be interesting to see a glimpse of the past.

Toadstool
September 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Oh yes we side-parted the fringe and back-combed it with LOADS of hairspray. I think they might call it a "mall fringe"??

manderly
September 19th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Oh yes we side-parted the fringe and back-combed it with LOADS of hairspray. I think they might call it a "mall fringe"??

Yes, I recall blowdrying it to one side and while holding it up with the round brush blast it with lots of hairspray. Half would be a "wave" that was really tall, the other bit would come down like modern bangs.

Ta-da!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1413/1434638937_816b3a3701.jpg

Toadstool
September 19th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Manderly that's exactly it! And you carry it off very well if I may say so!

Leoneska
September 19th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Wow, thank you all. I think for a "real" 90ies style you need tons of hairspray.
If this helps: I have bangs, and I will wear a grungy girly top, short, and tight, heavy-used style jeans and chucks. Very much the more violent predecessor of the today's "emo" look. I think I will also get my bellybutton pierciing back in :(

twolunarspring
September 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM
If it were me, I'd do that antenna hairdo Scary Spice used to have...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/delandscr18/scary_spice.jpg

That's the only pic I could find.

manderly
September 19th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Manderly that's exactly it! And you carry it off very well if I may say so!

Aaaaahhhahahaha, that's not me :D Just a photo I found when I googled mall bangs ;)

Leoneska
September 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Mh, just figured if I just don't comb my hair for a few days they may look like Courtney Love's out-of-bed hairstyle :D might work with 1c/2a hair without using tons of hairspray.

ladylibra
September 19th, 2009, 06:36 AM
As I was a kid back then, all I remember from the 90s is everyone wanted stick-straight hair, unless they were doing the grunge look - then it was wavy/curly hair with the texture combed out and gelled/hairsprayed within an inch of its life... so it looked like a semi-straight frizzball. :laugh:

Ah, the 90s...

Toadstool
September 19th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Aaaaahhhahahaha, that's not me :D Just a photo I found when I googled mall bangs ;)

oh oops! Well it looks how I imagined you'd look from your avatar!:)

NiAosSi
September 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Watch the movie Clueless. Totally 90's. You can be grungy, kinderwhore, or mallrat.

ETA: Kinderwhore is something like Courtney Love, Kat Bjelland in the 90's.

Rohele
September 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM
In the early 90s, hair was big with lots of volume and back combing at the front (like what manderly showed, with or without the bangs and perm, but the volume was definitely there at the top and sides). Hair got flatter and straighter later in the decade.

Leoneska
September 19th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Thank you all, I will try a bit and post pictures next week (-:

Kris Dove
September 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
unless they were doing the grunge look - then it was wavy/curly hair with the texture combed out and gelled/hairsprayed within an inch of its life... so it looked like a semi-straight frizzball. :laugh:

Ah, the 90s...Ahh yes, that's the look I went for with my spiral perm and wet look gel-mousse back in the day(xmas 2004 I think)! :o

(You can also achieve this look temporarily by slathering your hair in aforementioned hair gel, then putting it in tiny rollers for at least a few hours, before taking out the rollers and using loads of hairspray, enough so that it's crunchy in texture... which is what I used to do for school discos sometimes before I had the perm:o)

I'm the bottom-left girl this school photo- http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?PageNbr=1&MemberId=9824955999&PhotoAlbumId=11498962455&PhotoId=11499026246 but as you can see, all but one of us in that class had a perm, and wearing it in a high ponytail with a scrunchie was a very popular style at that time too)

After I had the perm I had a bob to chop away the damage(summer 2006), and to get that Jennifer Aniston-style volume I used big soda-can sized velcro rollers.

After that when it had grown it a bit to APL I either did those baby spice half-up bunches I mentioned earlier, or had a row of twists held in place with tiny muticoloured butterfly claws across the front of my hair with a ton of glitter gel or spray.

Boudicca
September 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
OMG, the 90s are now long enough ago that they can have retro parties for them? *Is depressed*

manderly
September 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
*pats hand* Yes, yes. We are old. I'm not sure how it happened, I just woke up one day and suddenly I was yelling at kids to get off my lawn and talking about the "good old days". :nono:

OMG, the 90s are now long enough ago that they can have retro parties for them? *Is depressed*

teela1978
September 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Well... which part of the 90s? Early 90s still had the big poofy shellacked bangs... but they kinda went away pretty quick in my neighborhood. By mid-junior high everyone had the shorts from wet seal that had a big floral print of some sort, with a coordinating top and a scrunchie that was the same print as the shorts pulling their hair into a half-up (with straight bangs in front). Big coordinating scrunchies was totally the thing. And waves, either by perm or braids. And jeans with zippers at the ankles... that were too short so you could see your scrunched (possibly layered, and again coordinating) socks underneath.

Pretty quickly after that it all went to grunge. Thank god. High school was all jeans, flannel shirts as jackets, and barely combed hair... maybe an old scrunchie tying it back into a messy something.

The dichotomy could be related to moving from a mostly white upper-middle class school to a very racially mixed working-class school though. Never saw those stupid scrunched slouch socks after junior high again.

manderly
September 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hehehe, oh man, I remember the BK Knights and (damn I can't remember the girl version) high-top sneakers that you wore 2 pairs of laces with (usually one was some pretty ribbon) and big socks that you either rolled down to make a weird ring a la The Jetsons or you strategically scrunched down :)

But yes, the 90s were very varied and styles were so different based on when in the 90s. I was 10 when the 90s hit, and the mall hair with big bangs lasted up until around 93/94 IIRC. We also wore jams (longer shorts) with matching/coordinating shirts. Hypercolors were in. So were ugly woven pullover hoodies. Scrunchies and puffy velvet headbands.

By the time I got to high school in 94 that stuff had faded out and grunge was coming in. My hair was barely brushed, I kept a brush in my backpack for when I forgot. Jeans, Doc Martens, flannels, surplus military was the fashion.

pradabacon
September 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
^^^Exactly right, Manderly.

I dug out a photo album from when I was in high school...*lmao*

Here's me circa 1991 in a Glamour Shot type photo (remember those? :p). I played with it in Paint since you could barely see the big sideswept hair on the dark background in the scanned pic. But I did indeed wear my hair like that all the time, not just for this oh-so-glamorous photo...:rolleyes::
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/ba4bf4f2.jpg

And here's me in the Grunge phase (mine was mixed with a touch of Goth :laugh:), about 1993ish:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/927d8894.jpg

Note the lank, unbrushed hair, puffy flannel jacket, and delicious beanie. Sexy, no? :D I'm positive I was wearing these lovelies with jeans and combat boots.

And here I am in 1995, more Goth, less Grunge:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/6b36f444.jpg

Burry faces were all the rage that year! J/K!

Gawd. I'm so embarrassed now! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/blush.gif

Why did you make me look at these!? http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/sweatdrop.gif

Flynn
September 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Zig-zag parting, and dead straight.

Boudicca
September 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
*pats hand* Yes, yes. We are old. I'm not sure how it happened, I just woke up one day and suddenly I was yelling at kids to get off my lawn and talking about the "good old days". :nono:

*Shakes fist* Pesky kids!

It's when I realised I didn't know what was number one in the charts that I felt old.....

;)

teela1978
September 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
*Shakes fist* Pesky kids!

It's when I realised I didn't know what was number one in the charts that I felt old.....

;)

I distinctly remember the moment when I realized I was old. I was driving home from doing a bit of work on a Saturday in the summer. It was August and ridiculously hot, the AC hadn't kicked in yet.

Anyway, the guy on the radio started talking about Warped tour and how it was happening out at the fairgrounds that day... and my first thought was "thank god I'm not out there today"

and then I realized how horribly old that statement made me sound.

Flynn
September 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
... If those two statements are true, I was born old.

Speckla
September 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Here's some 90s hairdos.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=old%20lady%20wig&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

teela1978
September 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
... If those two statements are true, I was born old.

Really? 10 years ago I would've been all over warped tour, even in 100+ weather. Of course, with my extra years of experience (and having been to a Warped tour in similar weather) I've learned that I'd just be dehydrated and hot all day, end up with a sunburn, a headache, and I wouldn't really enjoy most of the later shows (the ones you're actually paying to see) because of all that.

ladylibra
September 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hey hold on a minute! I born in the early 80s and grew up in the 90s! Now an 80s "retro" party I could see. This 90s shin-dig is just a "reminising of a few years back" party!

Come on, it was just a decade ago! That's not retro! And I'm not old! :laugh:

girloctopus
September 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hey hold on a minute! I born in the early 80s and grew up in the 90s! Now an 80s "retro" party I could see. This 90s shin-dig is just a "reminising of a few years back" party!

Come on, it was just a decade ago! That's not retro! And I'm not old! :laugh:

Haha I am inclined to agree!

ETA: I would wear my hair like Baby Spice. I did so love the Spice Girls. *embarassed*

Flynn
September 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Really? 10 years ago I would've been all over warped tour, even in 100+ weather. Of course, with my extra years of experience (and having been to a Warped tour in similar weather) I've learned that I'd just be dehydrated and hot all day, end up with a sunburn, a headache, and I wouldn't really enjoy most of the later shows (the ones you're actually paying to see) because of all that.

Concerts cause me pain. Too loud. Found that out the hard way. (Would do it again, would take earplugs though.) Outdoor festival things make me heatstruck and sunburned. That's why I've never been to one. I've never listened to popular music. I was still in primary school when the Spice Girls "hit", and I hated them. *Grump grump grump*

Give me civilised, jock-free, teenager-free, businessman-free bar playing background indie-rock that won't burst my eardrums, and I'll be happy.

See? Born old. >_o

practikalmagik
September 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM
WTF I'm 23 and I couldn't imagine going to a 90's party!! It wasn't even 10 years ago!

If anyone wants a giggle I suggest this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/90sindex.shtml

brista
September 20th, 2009, 04:32 AM
For the very, very lazy 90s style -- If you have long (and given the site we're on...) dark hair that's wavy (or you can make wavy), I'd just carry a guitar and go as Alanis Morrisette. :)