PDA

View Full Version : Would you wear a wig

natorade
September 19th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I am 19 and I am trying to grow out an awful asymetrical cut. One side of my head is kind of pixieish and the other side of my head is a little above jaw length. I am trying to grow it out to a chin length inverted bob. I still have some bleach damage on the canopy part of my hair about an inch worth. I have been considering a full lace wig. Would it be strange for someone my age to wear a wig while growing my hair out? Does anyone know where I can purchase a lace wig? I am having a herd time finding one that is blonde.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I worked in a funky little boutique when I was your age and they sold wigs and when they got a shipment in they would let some of the girls wear them to 'model' then for the customers.. I don't think it would be weird, but I know first hand that some of the extension clips can cause a lot of damage to your hair so be super careful when putting them in. You might also be able to get away with a 1/2 wig which I think looks the most natural since it uses half of your hair to blend in with the wig.

As for where to buy, ebay as a ton of them or just google wigs online and you should be able to find a bunch, otherwise check your local phone book for wig shops in your area if you don't want to buy online :)

prittykitty
September 19th, 2009, 01:18 AM
No it is not strange for you to wear a wig. Did you know that Cher always wore wigs because she didn't want to ruin her naturally very long dark hair. At least this is what she said in an interview. Dolly Parton was also very famous for wearing wigs and even Michale Jackson wore wigs after his hair caught on fire. I very much understand how you feel about your hair. Although mine is not quite as short, it is still fried from chemical and heat styling abuse. There are many websites that sell wigs. Here are two websites that I use to get my hair extensions from. They also sell wigs.

http://www.hisandher.com

http://www.glamourhair.com

If I had to wear a wig for a while I would and would have no problem doing it. In fact it may even be kind of fun trying different styles and colors while you wait for your natural hair to grow. This thought has crossed my mind. I have even thought of wearing clip on extensions.

EDIT:
It is best to buy a human hair wig because they last longer and some can be washed, brushed and styled easily. The artificial hair wigs tend to look more like shredded plastic and will frizz very easily and they are usually not washable. Take a look at a Barbie doll and what the hair looks like after a while, especially if you get it wet or comb it too much.

Catladyintown
September 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I love wigs.:D I wear short wigs. I mainly wear them in the winter to keep my head warm. But I like short wigs. I have the best of both worlds short wigs and long hair.

Pburgh56
September 19th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I love wigs too. Definately dont think twice about wearing them. Im a guy and when I was thinking about whether I wanted my hair long for sure I bought a wig to wear to see what it would be like to have long hair. It actually felt really good wearing one.

rach
September 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM
nothing wrong with wigs!!!!
i made a thread on them not long ago http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32044

wintersun99
September 19th, 2009, 12:12 PM

Speckla
September 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Go for it. I've had waist length sew-ins and worn a cute bob length wig. It's an easy and fast way to change your look. Instant hair without years of growing or instead short without cutting off years of growth.

heatherdazy
September 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
The nice part about pixie cuts is that they grow and change shape quickly. In a month or two, you'll have enough new growth to re-shape the style!

clairenewcastle
September 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I love wigs.:D I wear short wigs. I mainly wear them in the winter to keep my head warm. But I like short wigs. I have the best of both worlds short wigs and long hair.
Although I've never worn a wig I think it would be a fun thing to do. Your post caught my eye - good for you walking around with your run-of-the-mill short hair knowing exactly what you're hiding.....talk about hiding your light under a bushel!
Love your hair!!!!

vindo
September 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Once in a while a wig is fun and no big deal but keep in mind if you are trying to grow out healthy hair covering your head with a wig often is not a good idea.

motormuffin
September 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I did this too. I mostly wore them out at night though. I don't think I even have one anymore. One night I went out, I wore it and the guy I was dating didn't realize it was me even after he had been talking with me for 1/2 hour.

windinherhair
September 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I bought a wig a couple years ago when I wanted a change and didn't want to cut my hair. No, I do not think that age has anything to do with it. Even the wig that I bought was from what I heard "in style." People were telling me I had the "Rihanna" look. I was lucky to find mine at a hair discount store for only $40. Everyone thought it was real and I had cut my hair. If you can find a nice one, and pin your hair good underneath, it can look really nice. I only wore it for 3 months though and I wouldnt recommend wearing it a long time.

Bellalalala
September 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I love wigs. Love them.

I get them in crazy colours because I used to dye my hair all the time, and I get the urge for a drastic change pretty regularly.

This place http://www.sunnyshairandwigs.com/ is one of the most popular hair suppliers according to a number of African American hair forums.

I get my extensions from them (virgin Indian hair) and they are the best quality I've ever seen.

natorade
September 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I tried some wigs on today and I just can't find one I like. Maybe it's because I know it's a wig. I am going keep looking until I find the right one.

Pburgh56
September 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I really hope you can find one natorade. what were the ones that you tried today?

bluewhiteblue
September 21st, 2009, 04:37 AM
I think wigs are great! I've got one from WillowBeeAccessories on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A3KPR2SYGFQIBY) last year and I love it. It's very realistic in appearance and movement. The size runs a bit small it seems, but there are adjustable straps inside (it may just be a touch small for me because I have to fit a bunch of hair under it though). I was wary about getting one online since I couldn't try it on, but it was completely worth it.

froglet
September 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
I currently wear a wig as I am growing out from bald. I bought a cute little bob wig in my real haircolor so that I feel inconspicuous and look normal to myself. I only wear it when I go out, which isn't all that often since I'm a housewife, so I don't worry about damage to my baby hairs that are growing. One downside to wigs is that unless you buy a human hair one, they are scratchy. My wig cost 400.00 dollars and it's still scratchy. I over paid :rolleyes:, because I wanted to be able to go and try them all on, online they are less.

As soon as my hair is long enough to look like a "pixie" cut I'll probably stop wearing the wig.

natorade
September 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
I really hope you can find one natorade. what were the ones that you tried today?
Hi, PBURGH I tried an inverted bob, long and loose curls and a kind of shag type wig. They all kind of made me look like a cone head.

Pburgh56
September 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Awww I wish you could have taken some pics. Im sure at least one of them didnt look bad :)

natorade
September 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Awww I wish you could have taken some pics. Im sure at least one of them didnt look bad :)
I wish I could view your hair growth pictures.

Pburgh56
September 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM
I know I wish you could too :( do you have aim or anything where I could get them to you?

Aer
September 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
Wigs are fun and cool, at any age. Go for it.

Sister13
September 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I love wigs for the straight silky look and bangs my hair will not allow. I've only worn to parties or on Halloween tho. :-p

Arriens
September 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Once in a while a wig is fun and no big deal
I have a wig, its black and has 5cm (2 inch?) long hair. Friends really looked odd at me when I wore it and hid my apl lenght under it. :eyebrows:

So, in my oppinion, if its just for a fun day or something, go for it. But when you want to wear it daily. I would be more conserved about the damage to your real hair.

Magicknthenight
September 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Actually I have a knee length wig :P i don't think it would be weird at all. I saw someone on here that got a very short wig..and so i went in looking at them... Ended up with a long one haha. It was soo soft when i first took it out and i wore it at home for a while. It was fun pretending:D
It is pretty knotted...i know i can wash it but I'm not sure if i can use conditioner on it...and honestly trying to untangle it.PSH...one of these days...lol..its really thick. Their was the option between a thick like classic length one or the knee length one with fairy tale ends. I got the longer one of course :p and i think the fairytale ends make it look more natural mhmm. It also has bangs. It came in black and though my hair isn't black it suits me pretty well. I myself have been wondering wither to wear it out or not haha but i pretty much decided not to..its just for fun really..I rarely wear it now since i'm happy with my own hair and i only really got it for the experience..not so much the look. Also i just wanted to see how much it got in the way since its my goal I think it was about 30 dollars off ebay. It has a cap so u can stick all your hair up in it. Its really thick...
i didn't wear it too much to begin with as i get sad when i take it off and feel my own thickness E_E
my point is...their so much fun! lol i wanna get some short ones too! Its a great way to try a different style without making any drastic changes. (or having to wait forever -.-)
:)

dearladydisdain
September 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Half the time I just want to shave all my hair off and wear a different wig every day. I think wigs are cool and you can get ones that look really natural (or not, if that's what you're going for!)

Mutinous
September 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I would definately :) Though judging by your avatar pic your hair looks quite pretty tbh. Though it's all about what you are comfortable with! Be careful about what types you get though, clip in ones can snag and tug on the hair, which will not help your growth! A lace front would be good, you just have to be super careful you don't get any of your hair on the adhesive!