PDA

View Full Version : Satin/Silk sleeping caps

MimiKeki
September 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hey guys :cheese:
Do any of you wear a satin/silk sleeping cap to bed? Did you find it made much difference in protecting your hair?

Can you recommend any websites from where I can buy them? I don't mind US sites, but it would be great to find a place in the UK.
I've never quite worked out how to wear my hair to bed, and I think this might be a good thing to try.

Cinnamon Hair
September 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I buy mine from drugstores like CVS and Walgreen's. Usually they are in the ethnic hair care section. The last one I got from Sally's Beauty Supply. The ones I get are usually around $2 but Tenderheaded.com (http://tenderheaded.com/genhairbrus.html) sells some nicer sleep caps if you can't find them in a store.

Melisande
September 19th, 2009, 04:07 AM
I have a PrettyWrap (http://www.prettywrap.com/). It's very good quality, comfortable and really pretty but as I have a huuuuge head, it compresses my ears a bit. So I have to be careful how to put it.

I have a silk shawl on my pillow and the silk wrap on my head at night. I think it does make a difference, especially when I oil my hair before going to sleep.

Nienna
September 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I'd also like to try these, as my hair gets really tangled when I sleep and braiding doesn't help all that much.
My big problem is that I'm a really restless sleeper, I toss and turn all night, always have.
Anybody have a suggestion for what sort of cap/hood I could use that would stay put?

Anje
September 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
There are ones that are advertised to stay on ("Stay on Satin" and all that), but in my experience, you just have to keep putting it on every night. It's like I actually had to learn to leave it on in my sleep, even though for the first week the sleep cap would be on the other side of the room each morning. Now it stays put.

pilateschick7
September 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I have a Little Lucy and a Classic Lucy from Maverick Sleep ware. They stay on very well thanks to a ribbon allowing you to gather the back hem. The entire cap also has an elastic the ribbon allows adjustment. The larger variety is best for my hair when loose in the cap. Little Lucy when I have my hair in a high bun to oil.:)
http://www.maverickwear.com/

Roseate
September 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I have the drugstore kind, though my hair is about to outgrow it. I like the way it keeps my hair contained at night without a lumpy braid or bun to worry about, and it helps keep my wurls wurly the next day.

Fairlight63
September 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I second the Maverick sleep cap. I have a Little Lucy & the Classic Lucy & the Little Lucy fits better. My hair is about BSL & thin & fine, the Classic Lucy is too big for me.
The Maverick sleep cap is the only one that fits good & stays on all night.
I also have the Pretty wrap but I think that it is too small. It may be better if you have short hair.

skyblue
April 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
does it matter if you get satin rather then silk?
I bought one yesterday and didn't notice till I got home that it was a satin sleep cap

Miss Catrina
April 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I got one at Wal-Mart, so I'm sure it's nowhere close to real silk or satin... but mine never stays on the whole night, anyway.

jeanniet
April 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I use the Stay-On Satin kind (I don't think you can get them in the UK), and I've only had them come off maybe twice in the past year. They've made a huge difference to my hair. I'd say wearing sleep caps has been one of the top three things I've done since joining LHC that have most benefited my hair. I used to wake up with my hair in complete snarls and now I can detangle with my fingers. So yes, I highly recommend them. :D

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM
does it matter if you get satin rather then silk?
I bought one yesterday and didn't notice till I got home that it was a satin sleep cap

IMHO, satin is just as good as silk :)

darklion
April 18th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I followed Cinnamon's advice on the cheapy sleep cap. One important point ... buy the extra large size. There are size large ones out there and it gathered all my hair right at my neck... most uncomfortable. It does take time to get used to the sleep bonnet... but I'm really impressed with the difference it's made! less hair cleavage, fewer tangles, and more comfortable to sleep,

skyblue
April 18th, 2011, 03:46 AM
haha yeah I got a large, it just wasn't made for long hair, I barely fit the whole length in there
but I love it already! It stays on really well and its very comfy much better then waking up with crazy hair lol!

Vani1902
April 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I also use the Stay-on satin bonnets. My hair feels happier since I have been using them to bed. Plus, my hair is alot easier to handle in the morning. It keeps my hair organized. Satin bonnets, for the most part, are very cheap. You should be able to find them anywhere they sell "ethnic" hair products.

Panth
April 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I made a sleep sock type thingie out of a 1/2 metre rectangle of silk satin and an elasticated headband. I think it helps a lot, particularly since DBF has a beard and stubble which is very coarse and just tears my hair into pieces.

Personally, I don't think synthetic satin vs. silk satin makes much difference to the hair but it would probably make a comfort difference if you overheat easily. The synthetic would be much more likely to get all sweaty and nasty as it wouldn't breathe the same.

vaughner
May 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
I used to sleep in a satin cap but it would never stay on the whole night. I just wrap my hair in a high bun instead.

shellblue1
May 28th, 2011, 11:00 PM
For those of you who use the Stay On Satin, which model do you use? There are many different models on the website.

http://www.stayonsatin.com/satindetail.html

BeamingBrunette
May 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I never thought about waring a cap to bed. I will definitely be trying this :)

Vani1902
May 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM
For those of you who use the Stay On Satin, which model do you use? There are many different models on the website.

I use the satin edge bonnet. I have been using for months. I am satisfied with it. :)

jeanniet
May 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM

I use the satin edge bonnet as well. The band does start stretching out after a while--about a year for me, but part of that may be because I throw them in the washer and dryer. They'd probably last longer if I handwashed them. But they're so cheap replacing them isn't a big deal.

RuLueashk
June 1st, 2011, 09:02 AM
Now that I'm using satin or silk pillowcases, I find that a Buff stays on my head just fine. I put it around my neck first, then up like a headband but with the front all the way down over my eyes (bonus: it cuts down the ambient light). Then I spread the end out like a windsock past the bun on top of my head, & tie the loose end of the Buff off (roll the end a tiny turn or two, which gives two nice corners that will stay very well in a half-knot).

sun-kissed
June 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM
I got mine at Wal-Mart for $3, and it does a nice job keeping my hair tidy and un-tangled for the morning. It is a little tight for my comfort, but that may just be my huge head. ;]

squiggyflop
June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
i made one.. double sided silk.. i couldnt get it to stay on at night.. i move around waaay too much.. sometimes i end up upside down on my bed.. yeah, thats a lot of movement.. also i sleep face down so maybe thats why too

dulce
June 13th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I got mine on ebay and as well as using them nightly ,was very sick for 2 1/2 weeks with total bed rest,couldn't look after my hair so popped my hair in one and kept it safe and tangle free till I got better.

Flossy
June 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Ooh, just bought a silk one on eBay. Between that and my silk pillowcase, my head won't be able to stop slipping around!

I shudder to think what DH will think of it though... :)

QueenJoey
June 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I have the exact same problem as Nienna. I'm usually to tired to braid, and I hate how my hair kinks after I take it out of a bun. I sleep on a polyester pillowcase, which has some slip, but I think it's giving me split ends. Can pillowcases do that? If so I'm running over to CVS tomorrow and grabbing a sleep cap. Been thinking about it anyways, but didn't know cost or where to find one.

Flossy
June 14th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Sooooo, I had a question about sleep caps. Do you put your hair up under them (in a loose bun or something) or does it kind of pile up in the bottom of the cap?

dulce
June 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I just twist in a loose coiled bun[no elastics or clips] and pop the cap over,where it just stays at the base of the cap.My cap has an elastic with flounces all around the edge so it stays on.

Flossy
June 14th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks! I think that's what my cap will be like. I won't tell DH, just surprise him!

Sewas
June 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I have to use a satin sleep cap (Sally's Beauty) to protect my hair from getting tangled. I also began to have some hair breakage and damage even when sleeping with braids. It is also necessary to protect your pillows when you oil overnight.

Mairéad
June 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I've really gotten into satin sleeping caps and silk scarves to wrap my hair at night, especially since I can't put my hair up. But, I think out of the three weeks I've done those I've only woken up two mornings with the darn thing still on my head. I don't know if it falls off because my hair is so short, or what. But, I haven't gotten major bed head yet because for the most part I end up sleeping on my face.

I'd really like to keep them on my head though.

islandboo
June 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I have one of the girl's silk sleep caps from Pretty Anntoinet's. I thought about the adult size, but my head is on the small side and the girl's caps have ties in addition to the elastic for additional size adjustment. They are easily large enough for my hair and even though I am a very active sleeper they have stayed on just fine (although they do seem to twist a bit at night - in the morning the ties are sometimes not quite where they were when I went to bed).

skraprchik
June 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I highly recommend the sleep caps mentioned up thread by MaverickWear. They are the only ones that have ever stayed on my head overnight, and I've been searching for years. I think it's a combination of the elastic + ribbon. I have a snug one that I'm slowly outgrowing and a Lil Lucy for the future.

jeanniet
June 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Can anyone tell me if the silk caps sold on ebay have covered elastic? I can't do bare elastic, and I don't want to spend the money to find out it's not covered!

homeeduk8tor
June 23rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
I bought a satin pillowcase a few weeks ago and I totally love it. I don't know that my hair shed more with cotton but I just like knowing that my hair slides over the satin. Plus, I have noticed a lot less tangling.

Notluckyblessed
June 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have a Satin cap that I got from sallys beauty supply... But I usually just sleep with my hair in a bun or just use my satin pillowcase .

SC
July 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I use silk scarf rather than cap. It doesn't stay as well, but it's almost same. I don't like the way I can't adjust my cap so much, scarf you can always shape again.

deko
July 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I just use silk satin pillowcase. It's really expensive, but you don't need more than two ( one for wear, one for wash). My hair feels much better and it's worth the cost.

GoatLady
July 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'm using a satin sleep cap I found at the Dollar Tree in the ethnic sectin. Wore it last night, for the first time, and woke up with perfect hair. I sleep with my hair in a braid but without the cap on my hair is always a mess in the morning. And it doubles as a "man repellent" (especially coupled with my flannel PJ's) so I'm assured of a good night's sleep. ;)

blueygirls
July 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I just use a satin pillowcase. I find that a lot easier. Sometimes the cap will slip off my head

Dragon
July 26th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Does anyone one find sleep caps cause nape tangles? I haven’t tried one yet but I am thinking about trying it.

dulce
July 26th, 2011, 09:16 AM
1 use one,when 1 hurt my back and had to spend over 2 1/2 weeks on total bed rest,it prevented any tangles!1 bought mine off ebay, and wear one every night.1 coil my hair in a low bun[no elastics,just loose]then stuff in a cap,no nape tangles for me.

epigrrl
July 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I've tried several different sleeping caps, and my favorite by far is the Stay On Satin Pocket Bonnet (link at Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Satin-Pocket-Bonnet/SBS-480799,default,pd.html)). I got mine for a few dollars from Walmart. It is very comfortable and I don't have problems with it slipping off.