PDA

View Full Version : Help me get my REAL hair back! :)

joyful373
September 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Ok guys! I haven't posted in a while... and after pouring over the search function I still didn't seem to find what I was looking for...

My haircare routine has been pretty much the same for a while. I use a sulfate-free and cone-free shampoo and conditioner (BWC daily benefits) and since I am unable to leave good things well enough alone, I added a new shampoo and conditioner to the rotation. What I didn't take into account is that the new shampoo (J/A/S/O/N Sea Kelp ) and conditioner have protein, as well as some kind of cones in them. My hair feels a lot more coarse and plastic-y. The routine has been to alternate between the two brands... but now it's just off. I wash once a week- at most twice a week, and when I do it's wash and condition.

When I went back to just the Beauty Without Cruelty Shampoo and Conditioner it still wasn't back to "normal."

Any ideas on how to "reboot" my hair, and whether I need to clarify, condition or what? Help!

apynip
September 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM
i would clarify then go back to your normal routine.

joyful373
September 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
i would clarify then go back to your normal routine.
Any recommendations on what to use to clarify... so I don't make things worse?

silencepainter
September 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I would clarify maybe with just suave or V05 clarifying shampoo (no need to go expensive) and then do a deep condition with a conditioner you KNOW your hair agrees with. This should make sure the cones are gone, and the moisture from deep conditioning should help balance the protein.

It might take a little while for your hair to go back completely to normal. Good luck!

Vrushali
September 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I second the 'clarifying' advice :D

apynip
September 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
i always use suave and recomend it. :)

Good luck.

Lamb
September 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Kirin has a great article on protein-induced damage in the "Articles" section. Maybe read that?
Any ordinary shampoo (preferably a cone-free one) will do for clarifying as long as it contains a sulphate (or more!). After that, just go back to whatever product and routine worked before. It will probably take some time for your hair to readjust, though, so be patient. :)

JamieLeigh
September 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I agree with the opinion to just use something cheap like Suave Clarifying shampoo and then just go back to what you were doing that worked well for you. Don't freak out, though, if it takes a bit for you to get back to where you were...just do what you know works for you and have a bit of patience. Good luck!! :flower:

HairColoredHair
September 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
My suggestion is a clarify and then something without protein but with good moisture (add honey to a protein-free conditioner maybe.) Moisture and Protein are a sort of balance, often one can help an overdose of the other....