PDA

View Full Version : How to get height on the top of the head?

Leisa
April 18th, 2008, 09:37 AM
How does one get some height on the top of the head, when one's hair is all one length and long?

I've done the two braids and wrap them over the top of my head and that creates a nice feature on the top of the head.

Other than that, I don't know how to get height or interest on the top of my head, without backcombing ?

What do long hairs (all one length) do to prevent the flat head look? (which I like but I get tired of).

missy60
April 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Have you tried clipping the roots that really helps if you are a curly. Here is a good video I just watched it was made by a woman at NC.com http://curllove.blogspot.com/2008/03/styling-videos.html there are several other ways to clip any of them pretty much help me from getting flat head.

spidermom
April 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Sometimes I will gather the top part of my hair together to clip back, and just before I apply the clip, I push the hair back toward my face a bit, which causes it to lift and creates some height -- called a quiff, I believe, only not teased.

Leisa
April 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Missy - Thanks for the link. I could try that but I believe that girl has layers. When the hair is long I don't think it would work but I don't know?

Spidermom - That sounds great. I used to use a comb for that purpose. I would gather the hair and then use a comb pushed in behind the hair and going towards the front to make the bang area lift up a bit.

eclecticaurora
April 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I know I really like it when I put an infinity bun higher on my head, this way it's almost on top of my head and creates some height. Otherwise just maybe a plain cinnamon bun up on top of the head?

missy60
April 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Yes she does have layers she got a deva cut. I am growing out my layers and the longest is past my shoulders and it works great for my hair. The theory is to take the weight off the longer hair so they can curl better and it also give lift. Actually it would work better with longer hair without layers to keep you from getting the triangle effect.

I have done also what spidermom recommends when my hair is drying thats another way to not get the flat head look. If it doesnt look good after it drys you can always use the style spidermom recommended on dry hair thats also very pretty.

jessie58
April 18th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yes I do what Spidermom suggests when I want some volume on top.

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I also do what spidermom does. I will also do twists on either side of my part and pin pack before I bun. I really like this look and if you part far to the side it can add height right on top if thats what you want. I also get bored of the flat look. If my hair is freshly washed I seem to have more natural fullness even when pulled straight back, but after a day or so it gets too flat for me.

Celebrian
April 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Sometimes I will gather the top part of my hair together to clip back, and just before I apply the clip, I push the hair back toward my face a bit, which causes it to lift and creates some height -- called a quiff, I believe, only not teased.

What spidermom said - and a variation I use is to lift that top hair and twist it before inserting comb/clip and pushing forward. You can get outrageous lift that way if you're not careful - like a Spanish dancer!

Suldrun
April 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Oh by the way another reason I like doing this is to keep pressure off my fragile hairline.

spidermom
April 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Spidermom - That sounds great. I used to use a comb for that purpose. I would gather the hair and then use a comb pushed in behind the hair and going towards the front to make the bang area lift up a bit.

Oh wow; good idea. I could insert a hair stick to lift!