PDA

View Full Version : Ivory soap & ACV only? uh ....

BlueWaterRed
September 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I love to read DIY health/beauty recipes, but this hair S/C one I found this morning that sounds awful:
http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/04/quick-natural-head-to-toe-clean.html

It suggests the only reason for hair conditioner is to "cover up" damage done by stripping shampoos, so you should instead shampoo with Ivory soap and rinse only with ACV, no conditioner.

I love using ACV but I think my hair would not be happy without conditioner.

Has anyone tried Ivory soap as shampoo, or this particular combination?

ladylibra
September 18th, 2009, 05:48 AM
If you want clean "naked" hair as I call it, ACV is good for balancing the pH. I've never washed my hair with Ivory soap, but I've used shampoos (SLS and non-SLS) and baking soda to clean my hair. It does feel good to rinse with 1 part ACV 3 parts water, although I always did this after S&C as my final rinse.

Her routine is something I would've been able to get away with when my hair was shorter. But now that it's longer? ACV is great but it doesn't make my hair any easier to detangle. :laugh:

Knittergirl
September 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I rited it once, it was awful!!!! DO NOT TRY IT!!!!!!!!!!! My hair was so dry and crunchy!! And I only washe the scalp!:justy::justy::justy:

Irishred
September 18th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I would only do that if I had no other choices. In fact, I would skip the Ivory soap as I have broken out from it before, and just rinse with the vinegar if I couldn't use shampoo or conditioner. Vinegar and WO wash :)

I do remember as a kid washing with bar soap all over including my hair, but I had short hair, was a kid and didn't give a rats patootyn or know the difference anyway.

Morag
September 18th, 2009, 06:35 AM
My experience of using Ivory soap on my skin was that it was terribly, painfully drying. I can't imagine putting it on my hair.

spidermom
September 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Ivory soap is WAY too alkaline to use on the hair. People get some peculiar notions about what is "better" or "more natural". As for my hair, I only go without conditioner if 1) I'm out of it, or 2) I want to scare small children.

Carolyn
September 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I can only imagine that washing my hair with Ivory soap would be worse than when I used AO products or CV poo bars :scared: It might work if your hair was an inch long and you didn't care what it looked like. But just :nono: I'd do WO in an emergency if I didn't have any products with me.