PDA

View Full Version : Need hair help!

Eniratak
September 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM
This hair help isn't for me, though I will probably benefit from it.
I have a friend who has a horrible time with her hair. She wears it up constantly because looking at the ends of her hair makes her feel horrible. She has very fine, thin, frizzy hair.

What can she do to help her hair?
Mind that she doesn't trim/cut her hair because of her religious beliefs.

Thanks for the help!

Flynn
September 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Well, first up, you have to realise frizzy isn't a hairtype. Frizzy is curls or waves in disguise. So! Step one: if you want to wear it down, don't brush it when it's dry. It turns it into fluff. More brughing equals more fluff. You can't brush it smooth. Less brushing also means less breakage, so less flyaway fluff.

Step two: condition! Lots of it. Try a cone-free conditioner, too; they work magic for some people. ^__^ Tie-in with the brushing: if you're careful, the best time to detangle for most people is when your hair is wet and full of conditioner. As it dries, and after it is dry, you should try not to touch it.

Step three: Leave-ins. A little bit of your normal conditioner as a leave-in can do the trick. A teensy bit of oil can help those waves/curls stay together and stay lovely. (A light gel, or a natural gel like aloe vera gel or flaxseed gel can also be helpful for curlies. I've had luch with an AVG/light oil mix on waves, too... but that might be for later, once she's worked out her real hairtype.)

Step four: get her to join here and read the Wurly and Curly (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) and Wavy and Wurly (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=31563) threads.

Step five: enjoy. XD

Eniratak
September 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I might sound a little stupid for asking this (I'm a newbie), what are cones? I've heard about them a lot, but I've never really understood what it was. XD.

Flynn
September 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I might sound a little stupid for asking this (I'm a newbie), what are cones? I've heard about them a lot, but I've never really understood what it was. XD.

That's okay! Not stupid at all. It's a funny abbreviation that people around here seem to like to use. "Cones" is short for silicones, more properly called siloxanes. They are long molecules made up of silicon, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and often also nitrogen... and sometimes some other elements. They coat hair with a sort of a thin film. For some people, they give the hair slip, shine and keep down frizz, just like the ads say. For other people, they can make the hair feel rough, sticky, and cause tangles and frizz, as well as possibly increasing dryness of the hair.

Any ingredient whose name has -cone in it, like amodimethicone, or -silox-, like cyclopentasiloxane is a member of this family of chemicals.

Eniratak
September 18th, 2009, 04:49 AM
That's okay! Not stupid at all. It's a funny abbreviation that people around here seem to like to use. "Cones" is short for silicones, more properly called siloxanes. They are long molecules made up of silicon, oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, and often also nitrogen... and sometimes some other elements. They coat hair with a sort of a thin film. For some people, they give the hair slip, shine and keep down frizz, just like the ads say. For other people, they can make the hair feel rough, sticky, and cause tangles and frizz, as well as possibly increasing dryness of the hair.

Any ingredient whose name has -cone in it, like amodimethicone, or -silox-, like cyclopentasiloxane is a member of this family of chemicals.

Thanks so much! XD. See. I told you this would probably benefit in my own haircare, although I'd like to think these 'cones' actually work with my hair.

JamieLeigh
September 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I think Flynn has given excellent advice - especially the "Get your friend to join up here" one. :D....and welcome to LHC yourself. :flower:

Aer
September 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Almond oil, left in before a shampoo. It can be very moisturizing, but light enough for thin hair. I use it sometimes combined with coconut oil when I have frizzes, since I have a weird wavy/curly/fine/sometimes straightish combo hair. Flynn's advice is excellent.

Eniratak
September 20th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Thank you all!

kymmy
October 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I need hair help.........I have the frizzies too, but other problems as well....
I am a freak about having any grey show, of course it's at the most visable spot, my part. I have used box color.....Nutriess.....trying to touch up my roots which resulted in a dark halo effect.....too much built-up and using too dark a color. So, I didn't know how to fix the problem, go darker or lighter......so the salon stripped my hair. Now my hair is dull and feels terrible, and as I touch up the roots it absorbs a different shade. Overall my hair is basically a light coppery golden red brown, but the roots absorb with too much of a blue red color. Any yes, the damn frizzies. I've heard about using the Demi Permant color.......would it cover my grey and give some life back to my dull lifeless hair? Please, any suggestions????????

pinkbunny
October 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I need hair help.........I have the frizzies too, but other problems as well....
I am a freak about having any grey show, of course it's at the most visable spot, my part. I have used box color.....Nutriess.....trying to touch up my roots which resulted in a dark halo effect.....too much built-up and using too dark a color. So, I didn't know how to fix the problem, go darker or lighter......so the salon stripped my hair. Now my hair is dull and feels terrible, and as I touch up the roots it absorbs a different shade. Overall my hair is basically a light coppery golden red brown, but the roots absorb with too much of a blue red color. Any yes, the damn frizzies. I've heard about using the Demi Permant color.......would it cover my grey and give some life back to my dull lifeless hair? Please, any suggestions????????

Your hair may not be able to handle all those chemicals, and it could be over-processed. I had to quit dye-ing my hair because it would weaken it. Have you ever tried henna? I've never used it, but I've heard good things...

Sister13
October 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I second the henna suggestion. It covers grey without structurally damaging your hair.