PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you with longer than BSL hair

Amarie
September 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I am just curious as to how you wear your hair at night? My hair was almost waist length when I was 16 and I remember keeping it braided a lot at night. So I am wondering what others do. Right now I leave mine loose at night mainly because I have developed a lot of split ends since my fiance's car accident. (I won't go into that) I just haven't been able to care for my hair like I use to. Anyway, any responses will be greatly appreciated! :cheese:

krn2891
September 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I braid my hair.

Quixii
September 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I've been either leaving it in a ponytail, plopping it, or putting it in a pillow case.

bigevilgrape
September 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Bun most of the time, braid some times.

Amarie
September 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so thought I'd ask here. What is the proper way to measure my hair?

Addy
September 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so thought I'd ask here. What is the proper way to measure my hair?

At your hairline in the middle of your forehead over the back of the head. ;)

jasper
September 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
measuring: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=9

and I braid to sleep

LittleOrca
September 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Satin sleeping cap. :)

Brat
September 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Free and loose. I can't feel restricted when I sleep, and I can't feel a bump or anything when I roll over that will wake me up. Mine's THIS CLOSE to waist!

paperwhite
September 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I sleep in a braid or lightly pinned bun most of the time. For me a braid is more comfortable but wearing a bun keeps my ends looking nicer.

Loreley
September 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I sleep with my hair in a loose bun. It's the most comfortable for me. I tried a braid but I always laid on it. :p

Gumball
September 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I braid my hair, secure it with a satin scrunchie, and sleep on satin pillowcases. :)

Cinnamon Hair
September 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Satin sleeping cap. :)
Seconded! (is that a word? ...I wear a sleep cap too.) Not sexy but it's quick and easy.

Ryanne
September 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
A braid or a ponytail with several scrunchies along the length.

eadwine
September 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM
A braid :)

Naamah
September 17th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I wear a braid.

Finoriel
September 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Another vote for braiding it :)

Flynn
September 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Braid.

(ten characters)

redcelticcurls
September 18th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I'm at BSL as opposed to past it, but...

I use a sleep hat, primarily for curl preservation so I can get 2nd and 3rd day hair with minimal frizz and curl pattern disruption.

I figure that they should also do well on the straighter hair types also. I like mine because the satin part is on the inside of the cap, which makes more sense.

http://i29.tinypic.com/6tmr04.jpg

Aditi
September 18th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Braid most of the time or a low loose ponytail:)

lynnala
September 18th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I braid and sleep on a silk pillowcase.

3azza
September 18th, 2009, 02:44 AM
i leave it loose and spread it over the pillow case to avoid sleeping on it.

Green Elf
September 18th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Braid.
For those who sleep with bun: how do you secure it? I want to give it a try :)

Lemur_Catta
September 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM
It depends. Mostly in a braid, but if I have an headache, if my hair is wet or if I have blowdried it straight I sleep with it loose. My hair is a little bit past BSL right now.

Arkady
September 18th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I usually braid it - mostly two braids, though occasionally just the one just for a change.

Elle214
September 18th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I oil my hair a little bit and braid it.

spidermom
September 18th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Top-of-head ponytail

Irishred
September 18th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I usually braid (simple english or rope) my hair to sleep. I will leave it loose on occasion but I fear my hair 1) getting trapped by DH or DS2 OR 2) choking DH or DS2 (which DH mentioned yesterday about getting my hair in his face while we were cuddling the night before, didn't say anything while snuggled though) ... my classic length braid gets trapped often enough but is much easier to pull out from under my sleeping boys.

Also, I prefer the braid to reduce tangles.

Elbereth
September 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
My hair is hip length. I usually French braid for night; if it's damp, then I might wear a soft cotton snood.

Carolyn
September 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
If it's been braided that day, I leave it that way. Once in a while I'll wash my hair before bed and sleep with it in a high, loose bun if I want waves in the morning. Otherwise I just sleep with it down and loose. I don't have a problem with tangles.

ericthegreat
September 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I almost always sleep with my hair down and loose. Even at my length, my hair doesn't really tangle too much when I have my hair down. Only once in a blue moon will I pull all my hair into a big, single braid or do two pigtail braids when I go to sleep, and I do that only so that I can get braid waves for the next day.

ChrissieM
September 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I sleep with mine loose....I really should start braiding it

SpinDance
September 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I do a low nape of the neck braid, either English or Dutch. I think I like the waves the Dutch gives better than the English.

However, my interest is piqued by redcelticcurls sleep cap. That may be just what I need!

kdaniels8811
September 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I bun mine with a short pair of hairsticks that are used for sleeping only as they disapear in my hair otherwise. An orchid bun holds fine and I get bun waves when I wake up. My sweetie rolls over on my hair if it is braided or down and I wake up from having my hair yanked. Ouch! I sleep on my side, so a mid high bun is fine but I can put it on top of my head, also.

Tess2319
September 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I've been braiding mine for sleep since it was long enough to get most of it off my face in two french braids - probably just past chin length. I can't stand anything touching my face when I sleep. Then when it was long enough I switched to a low single french braid. The french braiding smooths the transition so there's no lump under my head.

Now at just past BSL the braid has just gotten long enough to not go with me when I roll over. So in the past month or two I've started being awakened by my hair being pulled because I'm laying on the end of my braid.

I guess I'm going to need to figure out something new, but I don't think sleep caps or buns will work on my slippy hair.

BunnyBee
September 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Loose (but i put my hair on the pillow above my head so as not to lay on it. Or if there's no one around to see; a cinnabun or braided bun right on top of my head secured with 2 claw clips :D

Unzadi
September 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
One or two braids or a loose scrunchie bun.

forgetmenotak
September 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I wear it in a braid or in a ponytail on the top of my head. (I hope that makes sense!) Once in awhile I also sleep in a satin cap.

Das Siechtum
September 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I always braid into an sided english braid before I go to sleep. Its just more comfortable that way. :-)

Armelle
September 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I braid it. Otherwise I'd smother at night. My hair is nearly to my waist.

Ina
September 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I usually put it in a ponytail.

JamieLeigh
September 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I sleep with mine loose. I decided to try out a silk pillowcase, so I'll see how that goes as well. I've never really had problems with tangles since going CO, so loose works for me. :)

Feline
September 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Loose. I've tried braiding, but I don't do a very good job of it. The waves from it were nice, though...

nowxisxforever
September 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Loose (but i put my hair on the pillow above my head so as not to lay on it. Or if there's no one around to see; a cinnabun or braided bun right on top of my head secured with 2 claw clips :D

Here, too. Flip it right over the pillow, let it sit just behind it or fall over the side of the bed as it wills.

mira-chan
September 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I braid my hair for the night in a plain loose braid, no tie. I move too much for it to stay over the pillow.

Esperanza
September 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I make a scruncie bun and then put on a satin sleep cap. If I dampen the hair before bunning, I have nice bun waves in the morning.

Hiriel
September 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I usually sleep with it loose, braids and buns tend to annoy me if I can feel them at all when trying to sleep. I pull my hair back, as if doing a ponytail, twist it and sort of throw it back over the pillow so that it's out of my way. I don't get tangles very easily any more (WO, whooo!) :)

may1em
September 19th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Scrunchy bun on top of my head.

bigmama8
September 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I braid my hair for sleeping. If it's damp, I'll do a loose ponytail though.

PseudoScot
September 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I sleep with it loose nearly all the time, and I'm just about at classic.

I push it above my head, I use satin pillowcases [love them!]

If I go to bed with it wet I will usually put it loose double braids so it doesn't feel like I am sleeping with a cold, wet octopus! :D

jojo
September 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Mine is so close to waist now and I would seriously strangle myself if it was left loose, so a braid or loose bun for me.

sneakybea
September 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Messy bun on top of my head. It not only prevents tangles but also encourages volume and waves!

Angela_Rose
September 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Two ways- one, a simple English braid. Two, a loose-ish bun on the very top of my head with a couple of sticks through to anchor the thing.

Kerri
September 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Bee Butt Bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2671&pictureid=33689) at the nape or higher up. I sleep on my belly, so it doesn't bother me.

- Kerri.

Jadestorm
October 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
My 'night hairdo' are two flat braids - one on each side of my head, touching my ears.
I've been doing this for a long time and I'm very happy with this - no tangles at all in the mornings. People who don't like their hair to be wavey might have a problem because I always have braid waves because of this hair style at night.

Rhiannon7
October 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I braid to sleep. cannot stand my hair loose when i sleep anymore. i guess when you get used to a certain style to sleep you keep going with that style. before TLHC i slept with my hair loose sometimes to let it dry fully but since i started wearing a braid to sleep hair feels and looks better. and i don't look scary and scared when i wake up.

rhosyn_du
October 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I braid it and secure with a jersey cotton scrunchie, then flip the braid up over the top of my pillow when I lie down so I don't roll over on it. I used to wear a sleep bonnet, but it tended to plaster my fringe to my head, which isn't a good look for me.

And slight hijack, but redcelticcurls, where did you get your sleep bonnet? It's fabulous!

sherigayle
October 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I wear a nylon snood like these (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=26&catid=4&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D4). I roll my hair into a loose cinnabun and put the snood over it. It kind of unrolls a bit and just curls around inside the snood. I also bought my hair pins from them. Their prices are good.

MissManda
October 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
My hair is only a few inches above waist-length (I'm rather petite, so my hair looks longer on me). While I can get away with wearing my hair loose at night, I prefer not to. I usually braid it. On wash nights, I'll put it in 3 to 5 mini-braids. When I take them out in the morning, my hair resembles the mane of a lion. lol I haven't tried buns yet, though.

mimi1153
October 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I also vote for free and loose. I've tried braids and just pulled back with a scrunchie - - but my hair prefers to be well combed and put to bed. I "toss" it above my pillow before I lay my head down so it really doesn't get in the way. By the way, I'm TBL.

xgwyllgix
October 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I wear mine loose to sleep in. When it's loose, it flows when I roll over. If I braid it, it stays put and I end up with my head jacked back at an awkward angle. I can only sleep in buns when I'm sleeping on the couch, for some reason.

And slight hijack, but redcelticcurls, where did you get your sleep bonnet? It's fabulous!

I have to second this as Google is failing me. That sleep hat is awesome!

RavennaNight
October 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I wear mine loose, draped over my pillow. I've tried braids but they tend to pull while I am sleeping and that is annoying and defeats the purpose because the pulling wakes me up. Ow.

Brighe
October 6th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Hi there!

I braid my hair at night or wear it in a Scrunchy bun on top of my head.
Loose hair tends to stick everywere... :rolleyes:

Rosetta
October 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I wear my hair loose, draped over the pillow, just like RavennaNight.

I just cannot sleep well any other way (I have tried)! And braids etc. end up looking really weird and tangly in the morning...