PDA

View Full Version : Things you never thought of doing when you had long hair??

yellowchariot
September 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hey To All,

I was just wondering, if any of you used to have long hair (long enough to do just about any style you wanted), then for some reason you decided to cut it off, or just get a different style for a change. Now once you cut your hair to a much shorter length. . . at that moment, did you ever think back, and say to yourself "AH! I really wanted to try that [insert hairdo here] before I got a hair cut!" (kind of like the feeling you get when you slam your car door and you know your keys are locked up inside :p)

Or if your hair was much longer than what it used to be, than what it is now. . . did you ever see commercials, website pics, magazine ads. . . etc. showing a long hairstyle, that you never seen before, and you wished your hair was back to the length you once had, in order to try it?

Just wondering! Peace Out!

Heavenly Locks
September 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM
More often, (I'm not super long, but IME) I think back to "dang, I should have tried that when my hair was shorter" Because I wouldn't care so much about the damage or time it would take to grow out. Like a cut, or color or something. :)

yellowchariot
September 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
More often, (I'm not super long, but IME) I think back to "dang, I should have tried that when my hair was shorter" Because I wouldn't care so much about the damage or time it would take to grow out. Like a cut, or color or something. :)

Hey Heavenly Locks, I haven't quite thought of that perspective! Thanks for adding it though!

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Every time I have gotten my hair cut in the past (not a trim, a significant cut), I would miss the feel of my hair on my shoulders and back, especially in the shower. Even when I was enjoying short hair for other reasons, I'd want my long hair streaming down my back as soon as I stepped into the shower.

kwaniesiam
September 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM

This. I more wish I would have experimented with crazy colors and styles a bit more, but I definitely wouldn't trade it for long, healthy hair now.

yellowchariot
September 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
This. I more wish I would have experimented with crazy colors and styles a bit more, but I definitely wouldn't trade it for long, healthy hair now.

^ Where I've had short hair all of my life, I've had it cut in so many different ways. Even had it highlighted.

When my hair was about BSL, then I had cut short in layers, it suddenly hit me! I had wanted to try a few other styles before I cut it off. :D

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Oh - sorry - my reply was quite a bit off topic. I think I got everything out of my system before I grew long - cuts, styles, highlights, perms, henna. There's really nothing that I wanted but didn't try.

yellowchariot
September 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Alright people stay on topic or this could get ugly :patrol:
LOL J/K! All of your comments are just fine!

Thinthondiel
September 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Me too... I kinda wish I had tried going platinum blond back when my hair was pixie length. Just to see what that would have looked like. :p

ericthegreat
September 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I guess I'm super lucky because I've been growing my hair out straight, and I don't plan on going short EVER. I have never had my hair very long and then cut it off, because I already know that I could never part with it. Hence, I can't regret what I'll never do! :cheese:

ericthegreat
September 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Oh, and I don't miss my shorter hair lengths AT ALL. Since I have always strived for longer hair, its always been the exact opposite I kept wanting my hair to get longer and longer. I am now currently at butt length, so for the past year or so I've finally "felt" that my hair was long enough for me not to stress about it. I'm now just patiently letting myself get to terminal length, whenever and wherever terminal falls on my body.

sally_neuf
September 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Well, I used to have long hair (almost waist) back in highschool, and when I entered to the university, I just pixie-cut it! And the first thing I missed was just combing it along my pillow before going to sleep and then feeling it, just like a teddy bear but softer!

Damn I want my old long hair againg :(

terryn
September 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Lol, I guess I am another "reverse" of this questions, but it kind of reminds me of the way that I feel when I see long hair styles, or updos or anything like that and wonder what it would look like if I had long hair. I've had short hair all my life, but I am constantly looking up hair-dos and stuff, wishing I could magically make my hair long.

But I guess almost everyone here has the same feelings, lol.

yellowchariot
September 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Now that I think of it, I do wish that my ponytail was longer like it used to be. I've noticed that a BSL length tail IMO, is easier to manage than a shorter one :confused:!! I guess there is more hair to support the shape/structure.

funnybunny668
September 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
When I cut my hair short, I started to get rid of all my hair toys, thinking I wouldn't be needing them any more. Fortunately, DH said "you'd better keep them, you might want to grow it out again."
He knows me quite well! LOL

prittykitty
September 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, and what a big mistake I made! As a child I had very long hair, past my waist. This was in the 1970's. Towards the later 70's I was becoming a teenager and the Farrah Fawcett hair was in style so I had the front of my hair cut into that style and the back cut to the mid-length. If that wasn't enough! Then comes the early 80's and everyone was getting haircuts that were just below shoulder length, full feathered in layers. I just had to have that haircut so I got it. This hairstyle required a lot of use with a curling iron. Even after high school graduation, it was still the 80's and now the big hair was in style. This required the same haircut but this time a blow dryer was needed along with a curling iron and tons of hairspray to keep it in place. I use to use heated rollers in my hair for volume and a curling iron for style and a blow dryer to dry it and to blow dry wet hairspray on the sides to make my hair stay in that spot. This style was very damaging to my hair. Although I knew I had naturally curly hair I didn't know that it was more fragile than straight hair. When I was in my 20's my hair was a mess after a while. I had to quit with the heavy styling and go to a style that was not so hard on the hair so I quit with the big hair and went back to the simple feathered style and let my hair grow as much as it would. The problem was that it never grew back to the length it once was. It seemed to stay just past my shoulders. In the later 1990's, hair extensions were the thing. I got them and was very happy to have long hair again. I figured I would wear the extensions long enough until my real hair grew out and then quit wearing them. I was using the extensions that required this wax like glue. After several years of doing this I noticed that my hair was breaking off and looking bad. I finally decided to take the extensions out and wear my own hair. Now it is shoulder length and I am trying to grow it out and it has been very difficult. If ONLY I had just left it alone and wore it long like it was, maybe with just the front feathered and no more. I once had beautiful hair and I messed it up. I learned from this terrible mistake and yes, I miss my long hair I once had very much.

Gingevere
September 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I've never had truly short hair, so I often wonder what a pixie or "Alice" cut would look like on me. I don't plan on ever cutting my hair that short, but it's fun to think about it.

I love when my friends do all sorts of crazy things with their hair. My roommate used to wear her short hair in a faux-hawk style, but then grew it out. Now she has a pixie cut with long, side-swept bangs. Emo-esque, but very cool! :p

EDIT: Yay, 200 posts!

Kris Dove
September 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
My hair has been almost every way imaginable over the years... spiral permed, bobbed, faux hawk, pixie, highlights and lowlights, platinum blonde, red, blue, black, brown, purple...

Now I've got all that experimenting out of my system I'm back to my natural mousy blonde and trying to grow it back to the classic length it was at 14 before I had that perm that fried it! I'm wishing it would grow faster so I could try out some of the cool styles like Princess Leia style braided buns, that require more hair than what I currently have (grow little hairs, grow!!).

Mutinous
September 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I always wish I went blond at some point. I never did because my hair is so dark and it would take about three loads of bleach, and whilst I have certainly experimented with dye/bleach, I've never had the guts to do that!

yellowchariot
September 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
My hair has been almost every way imaginable over the years... spiral permed, bobbed, faux hawk, pixie, highlights and lowlights, platinum blonde, red, blue, black, brown, purple...

Now I've got all that experimenting out of my system I'm back to my natural mousy blonde and trying to grow it back to the classic length it was at 14 before I had that perm that fried it! I'm wishing it would grow faster so I could try out some of the cool styles like Princess Leia style braided buns, that require more hair than what I currently have (grow little hairs, grow!!).

^ That's awesome! You'll get there before you know it! ;) :thumbsup:

inertia
September 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I went from TB (unlayered, fairytail ends) to shoulder at the end of 2004. Part of the reason I cut it was because I was having so much trouble styling it. At the time, I couldn't find ANY style resources for really long hair. Every time I looked for ideas for what to do with my hair, all I found were styles and tutorials for BSL. I'd completely run through all the styles I'd ever seen on people with TB, and I was frustrated.

So I cut my hair to SL. That was a lot shorter than I liked. However, as it grew out again, I ended up learning a lot of new styling techniques because I could actually use the tutorials in magazines. By the time I reached WL I was much better at styling than I'd been. That was also the point at which I finally discovered some resources for style ideas for hair below BSL, and by then I was able to use them.

yellowchariot
September 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I went from TB (unlayered, fairytail ends) to shoulder at the end of 2004. Part of the reason I cut it was because I was having so much trouble styling it. At the time, I couldn't find ANY style resources for really long hair. Every time I looked for ideas for what to do with my hair, all I found were styles and tutorials for BSL. I'd completely run through all the styles I'd ever seen on people with TB, and I was frustrated.

So I cut my hair to SL. That was a lot shorter than I liked. However, as it grew out again, I ended up learning a lot of new styling techniques because I could actually use the tutorials in magazines. By the time I reached WL I was much better at styling than I'd been. That was also the point at which I finally discovered some resources for style ideas for hair below BSL, and by then I was able to use them.

inertia,

I'm sorry to hear that. Give it time, you'll be back to TB with just a little patience! On the positive side, during that time you were re-growing your hair, you've no doubt learned a lot more! Just as you were saying when you reached WL! :thumbsup:

Arashi
September 19th, 2009, 12:43 AM
When I went from hip to shoulder, the thing I missed was being able to do high pigtails that looked good. I could actually do the high pigtails, but with how short it was, it just didn't lay right. Pigtails were my "signature style" so it disappointed me a bit. Since then, whenever I have my hair down, I have done two mini-pigtails (like this http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv231/righth4nd/deathnote-Misa.jpg it's Misa from Death Note, lol) which I actually like better than full on pigtails, though.

Heidi_234
September 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Not cutting it? :p I mean, I probably did thought of not cutting, but I cut it.

I think I would have abused it just as much if it was still as long as it used to be, but TBL hair dyed jet-black with turquoise-blue-purple streaks probably would have looked twice as spectacular. :p

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 19th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I had classic length hair, then my ex and I broke up and I decided I needed a change.. new hair/new life so I chopped it into a bob.. I HATED it. I couldn't even do a ponytail... and every time I saw a cute updo I had to fight that twang of jealousy.

I liked that it wasn't heavy and that I didn't have to keep it pinned up all summer long but when it was gone I no longer felt like me so I started growing again.. I hit to about BSL and then found LHC and went to a hair dresser to try and 'repair' my hair... instead she killed it so I chopped back some more. I've sorta found a routine that works for me and I'm sticking to it this time!! No break-up hair cuts for me! lol

yellowchariot
September 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I had classic length hair, then my ex and I broke up and I decided I needed a change.. new hair/new life so I chopped it

^ I had a very similar experience! When one of my ex-g/f's and I split up, I had mine cut off to 1" from 7"! I wanted to get away from everything that reminded me of her, even my hair shudder:!

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Back in my goth phase (about 11 years ago, lol) I had nearly knee-length hair, which I would do elaborate braid-and/or-spike-updo styles with. Then when I got it cut to just below BSL, I went to try my hairstyles and I couldn't do them. :( I pretty much missed everything about having really really long hair immediately!!

longhairedfairy
September 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hey To All,

I was just wondering, if any of you used to have long hair (long enough to do just about any style you wanted), then for some reason you decided to cut it off, or just get a different style for a change. Now once you cut your hair to a much shorter length. . . at that moment, did you ever think back, and say to yourself "AH! I really wanted to try that [insert hairdo here] before I got a hair cut!" (kind of like the feeling you get when you slam your car door and you know your keys are locked up inside :p)

Or if your hair was much longer than what it used to be, than what it is now. . . did you ever see commercials, website pics, magazine ads. . . etc. showing a long hairstyle, that you never seen before, and you wished your hair was back to the length you once had, in order to try it?

Just wondering! Peace Out!
I almost spit out my coffee when you said it like that.:laugh:
I've never had short hair (unless you count when I was a baby and it hadn't grown out yet in the first place), so just about the only things I couldn't potentially do with my hair are styles that are longer than TB.

ETA: And my hair is probably the longest it has ever been now.:hollie:

yellowchariot
September 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
I almost spit out my coffee when you said it like that.:laugh:

^ That metaphor was stuck in my head, when I was looking for a way to describe the reaction! :D

apynip
September 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
i wanted to learn to harringbone braid my hair before i cut it but forgot in some odd teenage crisis that i dont even remember.... but yea. harringbone. regret every second now.

yellowchariot
September 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
i wanted to learn to harringbone braid my hair before i cut it but forgot in some odd teenage crisis that i dont even remember.... but yea. harringbone. regret every second now.

^ That's also something I want to try, but it looks difficult.