PDA

View Full Version : Hair Level Scale???

MissManda
September 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hi all,

I was thinking about my old hair stylist (the one I went to before I moved out of that area) and all of the ways she styled my hair. I remember when I got my hair dyed a deep, auburn (I loved that color) color and she mentioned that I was a level 7 on the hair level scale. Now, I got curious, and I looked it up online, and a level 7 is dark blonde.

I know my hair isn't blonde by any extent. It's more of a light/medium brown. Yes, it has a reddish-gold tint to it when it is in the sunlight, but I think it would be more like a level 6 or (maybe at the darkest parts 5). I don't know how she came to this conclusion, since my hair didn't really match the level 7 on the chart. I don't really understand where she came up with that conclusion.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks in advance!

Thinthondiel
September 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I found a colour chart online where 7 seems quite dark, actually... here it is: http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/images/haircolorchartlarge.jpg

I also think that "blond" might be a somewhat relative term. I once went to a hairstylist and got my hair dyed with a dye called something "blond"... and it didn't seem blond at all to me. Not on my hair, and not in the colour "menu" (or whatever you want to call that thing) that she showed me. It was what I would call a medium brown.

Quixii
September 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Curious, I looked up "hair colour chart" on Google. The thing is, there seems to be a lot of variation on those middle numbers. Like on this (http://vitaehair.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/Vitaecolorchart.84200821.gif) one, 7 is kinda an ash blonde brown. But on this (http://www.hair-do.com.au/images/misc/colour-chart-human.jpg) one, it seems to be a strawberry blonde. (If I'm reading the numbers right.)
Not very helpful to us, I suppose.

MissManda
September 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hm. I've done a Google search, and I'm actually finding variations in the 1-10 hair level charts. I wonder if there are variations in the level charts that hair stylists use?

heatherdazy
September 17th, 2009, 07:33 PM
There are variations because it's a chart for haircolor, not hair color. Different brands vary greatly and warmer colors can appear lighter to the human eye than cooler colors.

Descriptions like 'dark blonde' are meaningless, as everyone sees and describes the same colors differently.

Unless you're looking to change your haircolor, pinpointing your level is not all that important.

MissManda
September 17th, 2009, 07:37 PM
There are variations because it's a chart for haircolor, not hair color. Different brands vary greatly and warmer colors can appear lighter to the human eye than cooler colors.

Descriptions like 'dark blonde' are meaningless, as everyone sees and describes the same colors differently.

Unless you're looking to change your haircolor, pinpointing your level is not all that important.

Thanks! Yeah, I suppose that does make sense. I'm not intending to change my hair color with chemicals ever again. If I'm going to color my hair, it will be with henna. Does anyone know if levels matter with henna?

heatherdazy
September 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Henna is a bit less precise than traditional coloring. I've only done a handful of clients with henna, but in my experience, there is no 'level' system, just mixing in some gold powder to lighten and using hot coffee instead of water to deepen.

Heidi_234
September 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Henna is a bit less precise than traditional coloring. I've only done a handful of clients with henna, but in my experience, there is no 'level' system, just mixing in some gold powder to lighten and using hot coffee instead of water to deepen.
To lighten? Sorry, henna does not lighten hair, although on very dark to black hair it adds shine that may look as if the hair brighter in color. Really pure henna does not come in different shades (if you see such 'henna' those are usually mixed or hennas with additives), and the powder is green in color.

Also, from experience of people in here, coffee does not have much of affect on hair color, and does not aid henna in anything. Using strongly brewed teas of chamomile or hibiscus for example is much better, even though just regular water is okay for mixing.

Real henna is translucent, so starting color does play a role, but nothing with color level or such. With repeated applications hennaed hair goes from orange tint, to orange, to deeper darker copper, to deeper redder color, to burgundy and even eggplant for some. It's a one way road, and there's no coming back after you done henna, so consider it gravely before you regret it (not everybody loves that bright orange shine!).

Just wanted to clarify.:flower:

heatherdazy
September 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear, Heidi. I never meant to suggest that henna would lighten anyone's natural color, rather, that you might lighten the color of the henna you put on your hair.

And I have to say that I absolutely have achieved a better grey coverage with coffee.

Heidi_234
September 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear, Heidi. I never meant to suggest that henna would lighten anyone's natural color, rather, that you might lighten the color of the henna you put on your hair.

And I have to say that I absolutely have achieved a better grey coverage with coffee.
You use henna now, or you have used henna in the past?
It's interesting about the coffee, you're the first one I've read that said it's good for something.