PDA

View Full Version : Damp bunning

Knittergirl
September 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
How do y'all damp bun your hair for drying? Whenever I put my wet hair in a bun, it takes at least a day to be even a little dry! :shrug:

AJoifulNoise
September 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I wait until my hair is no longer dripping (most times) before damp bunning. And no, it never dries that way. I take it down in the evening an hour or two before bed and let it dry then.

girloctopus
September 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I've been trying to let it hang loose to dry a little longer, otherwise I run into the same problem as you do! Usually, I leave it loose for about a half hour before damp bunning, and I've been trying to extend it to an hour or so.

Knittergirl
September 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ok, so if it doesn't dry, what is the use?:trainwreck:

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I bun it, take it down, bun it, take it down ............
Eventually I notice that it's dry.

DarthCynthia
September 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have to let it dry a little as well before I put it up (the ends dry faster for me -- it's that bit around the neck that takes forever and causes more trouble when I'm trying to put it up). I sleep with my hair draped over the side of the bed every night, so on wash days it finishes drying while I'm sleeping.

DarthCynthia
September 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, so if it doesn't dry, what is the use?

Moisturizing for my hair. I can tell when I don't damp bun after a wash. A lot of it will dry enough... except for that bit right around neck length. That finishes drying over night for me.

Suisan
September 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I've found that I can't damp bun as my hair breaks easily when it's wet. Best thing for me is to braid it loosely in the shower during my final rinse (Hair running over the water makes it easier to handle). When I come out I squeeze the braid with a smaller towel to prevent it dripping down my back. Then I leave it alone until it's mostly dry.

AJoifulNoise
September 17th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I can only really get my hair up when it is damp. So, that's the point for me. But, it's also a very moist environment which helps my hair absorb the coconut oil.

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM
The only point to bunning wet hair for me is so that it doesn't get my clothing soaking wet. I'll undo the bun when I've got a place to drape it, bun it when I get up to do something, take it back out, bun it, take it out - that's my life.

Heidi_234
September 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I do just like Spidermom - bun it, after a (long) while I unbun it, ruffle slightly by sticking fingers in the middle of the length and moving them in quick slight motions left and right, then I redo the bun, unbun it again after a while, ruffle, bun...

For me damp bunning helps shapes my waves/curls, usually loosening my curls and twirling them. It's like getting braid waves from braiding damp hair.

Anje
September 17th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Loose bun (usually overnight, or whatever) after it's been loose for a while to go from wet to damp. Take it down in the morning and let it dry the rest of the way loose.

Little_Bird
September 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Well, I usually let my hair airdry loose. When it's almost done, I have to do a braid to tame it down and take all the puffyness of my natural pattern, otherwaise there's no way I can detangle it properly. Now that it's longer I strarted bunning and I really like the feeling. It works great too :D

RocketDog
September 17th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I usually put it up damp, then take it down in the evening and do a loose braid to keep it out of the way and tangle-free. It dries the rest of the way in the braid.

Irishred
September 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I damp bun for only 3 reasons... 1) I put extra leave in conditioner in after a wash and want it to soak in as much as possible, 2) I am in a hurry to go somewhere after a wash and need to have it up rather than leaving it down to dry as usual, or 3) I got rained on with my hair up... :lol:

I do like to #1 ever 4-6 weeks, more than that is too much for me. Now, If I work outside the house, I would probably wash my hair more and therefore need to damp bun more often than I do. As it is, I am out of the house a lot but will chance leaving it down and take a stick with me if I need to put it up when wet.

Elvi
September 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Yes I may bun it when it is 90% dry, as an easy way to style the hair, too :) .

Different buns give different waves to my naturally almost straight hair. Slightly damp hair bends better. All wet hair in a bun dries slowly indeed. I just like the variation.

Elphie
September 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I damp bun because it's an easy morning solution to what to do with my wet hair before work AND because by the end of the day, it's dry and it gives me a great wave pattern. Great hair with no effort is very appealing.

Honey39
September 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I damp bun because it's what works for me at the moment the best. I condition wash quickly in the morning, put it in a turbie for half an hour. Then I comb through LOADS of leave-in conditioner, and then add a good load of coconut oil on top. Put it all up and it looks sleek and professional. Take it down at lunch time, and the top is smooth and groomed, and the damp ends twirl into loose ringlets. For some reason, because of the length and my hair type, I am getting wonderful results like this.

It's an incredibly good way for me to keep my hair moisturised and conditioned, to let it dry smooth and frizz free, and still get lovely bouncy curls/ringlets on the end. I'm a big fan! But if I left it up, it would never dry.

NiAosSi
September 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Ditto. I also bun and take down too.

The only point to bunning wet hair for me is so that it doesn't get my clothing soaking wet. I'll undo the bun when I've got a place to drape it, bun it when I get up to do something, take it back out, bun it, take it out - that's my life.