PDA

View Full Version : I'm terrified!

freckles
September 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Today I have a hairdresser appointment. I haven't had my hair cut in over two years - because I always hate going to the hairdresser! But my hair right now is looking very scraggly and has no shape, and I'm thinking I'm going to ask for the ends evened out, TINY TINY layers at the hemline, and some shaping round the front of my face. Send me tons of luck, and wishes that the hairdresser doesn't take too much length!

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up shorter than my "starting" length of 26", but hopefully the result will look pretty enough that I don't mind. :o

Aer
September 17th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Good luck, your braver than me! I think you;ll be fine and if it makes you feel good do it. Is there a way maybe to be on the safe side and bring someone with you so your hair cut can be supervised so you get the results you want? When i used to go to the salon to get my hair trimmed, I always brought my husband to "guard" my interests and desired results. Fortunately he is the one that trims my hair, but not everyone can do this. I don't want to worry you, I'm sure you'll feel really good after your visit, don't be terrified, but be very specific on what you want your hairdresser to do.

Toadstool
September 17th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Good Luck! I always find these days hairdressers listen to and do exactly what I ask for, so just make sure you're clear. I'm sure you'll look lovely! :-)

Addy
September 17th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Oh, good luck! I'd be nervous too! :o

Just make sure you tell her exactly what you want and hopefully, she won't take too much off!

ericthegreat
September 17th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Ohh freckles if only you could come to NYC, then I'd cut and style your hair and for a very good price might I add!

Make sure the speak clearly to your hairstylist and have him or her understand that you want to keep as much of your length as possible. In my personal experience as a hairstylist, a client and the hairstylist MUST BE on the same page, otherwise the client will always end up unhappy and not get what he or she actually wanted. So make sure you communicate to your hairstylist how much keeping your hair long means to you!

kirky
September 17th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I'd be super nervous too! I haven't been to a salon in years...................but I'm sure it will go fine.

All the best freckles!

Fencai
September 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Good Luck Dear!!
Do keep us posted as to how it went!

Maddy25
September 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Good Luck! Im sure it will look great <3 Take photos when your done!

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Don't zone out in the seat; I've seen so many hair stylist stories that include the words "I wasn't paying attention and chop-chop"

Shanarana
September 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'm sure things will go fine for you. Go in knowing that YOU are the "boss" of your own hair and don't be intimated by suggestions that the hairdresser may tell you. Stand firm and speak firm in what you want.

marikamt
September 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I just got a micro trim and liked my results... I followed the great advice from all the wonderful LHC'ers.. I told her I was actively growing out my hair and I still had 5 inches to go to my goal... I told her I was nervous and really, really, really did not want to much cut off as I only grow 3/4 in a month...... she actually erred on the side of caution..... she took less off than I anticipated, but I was okay with that!
good luck!

freckles
September 17th, 2009, 10:24 AM
It went pretty great guys!
My method of picking a hairdresser involved going around town, peering into all the windows, and picking the ones with a few 'long' (BSL) haired clients and staff, not the ones where everyone had fashionable bobs. Then going in, stammering that I needed the nicest hairdresser they had!
My hairdresser was lovely, she guesstimated I needed 2 inches off at the longest point for an even, split-free hemline, and I said that was fine. I measured when I got home and she cut off bang-on 2 inches, leaving me with 25" hair :) Not bad. I got very slight layering at the bottom which feels really nice, I discussed with her beforehand that I didn't want any deep layering at the back of my hair because of bunning and braiding :) I also asked for face framing-layers at the front, and she cut them quite conservatively, starting an inch or so below shoulder - I would actually probably go a bit MORE drastic next time, but I'll take an overcautious hairdresser over a snip-happy one any day! :)

So I'm back to trying to grow to BSL - but I'm much much happier now that my hair looks neater :) Before and after pictures are coming up soon, folks :)

maxzeen
September 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
good luck with the cut! im sure it will come out lovely :D

Fencai
September 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM
My method of picking a hairdresser involved going around town, peering into all the windows, and picking the ones with a few 'long' (BSL) haired clients and staff, not the ones where everyone had fashionable bobs. Then going in, stammering that I needed the nicest hairdresser they had!
My hairdresser was lovely, she guesstimated I needed 2 inches off at the longest point for an even, split-free hemline, and I said that was fine. I measured when I got home and she cut off bang-on 2 inches, leaving me with 25" hair :) Not bad. I got very slight layering at the bottom which feels really nice, I discussed with her beforehand that I didn't want any deep layering at the back of my hair because of bunning and braiding :) I also asked for face framing-layers at the front, and she cut them quite conservatively, starting an inch or so below shoulder - I would actually probably go a bit MORE drastic next time, but I'll take an overcautious hairdresser over a snip-happy one any day! :)

So I'm back to trying to grow to BSL - but I'm much much happier now that my hair looks neater :) Before and after pictures are coming up soon, folks :)

That's great! Im happy for you!.... now where are the new pics!? :eyebrows:

marikamt
September 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM

Congratulations!!!!!!! :toast: Here's to happy endings......

spidermom
September 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Glad it went well; camping out to wait for pictures (popcorn anyone?)

ZadenWillowfyre
September 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Good luck on it's way! Just be very clear on firm about what you want.

DarkChocolate
September 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Good luck!

Pay attention to what she is doing at all times. Make sure that you don't feel her scissor hand half way up your back before she cuts.

I wanna see before and after pictures if posible:)

freckles
September 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
sorry that these aren't great pictures, taken my the very talented kid sister on her camera phone :D I am wearing totally unflattering clothes and facial expressions and my glasses have gone wonky, but nevermind :p

before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50510http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50507
after:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50508http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50509

DarkChocolate
September 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Looks extremely nice:)

jivete
September 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Looks great!

I keep thinking I'm going to trim mine (it needs it!) but I just keep waiting until it gets a little longer.

LaurelSpring
September 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I just did this and it actually turned out fine. Dont be afraid to be very very obsessively neurotic and let him/her know exactly what is acceptable to you and what is not. Be very on top of the situation.

LaurelSpring
September 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
It looks awesome. She did a great job. Now that you've found her...you know where to go next time.

Maddy25
September 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
You look so pretty <3 Love it! Your a cutie pie!

heatherdazy
September 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
If you tell the hairstylist you're terrified, then wind up liking it, please call her or send her a little note letting her know.

I once had a client who sat in my chair and told me that she'd had horrific nightmares about getting her hair done for the past week. It was six months before she made her next appt, where she told me she'd loved what I'd done, but during that six months, I practically broke into a cold sweat every time I thought about her.

friskybiznus
September 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I just had the same thing go on with me. Decided I needed a trim and and was really nervous. It turned out great, though! Your hair looks great!

kirky
September 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hi again Freckles!

I think your trim looks great! It looks like you had a few layers cut in.

Elenna
September 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Really nice pictures of your hair trim. Glad it worked out for you.

Addy
September 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Your hair looks fabulous! The stylist did a great job! :)

clairenewcastle
September 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Do post some pics, we'd all love to see the results! Can understand your nervousness, over the years I've had so many bad experiences with trims - or what should have been trims but turned out otherwise - that I ended up asking my husband to do the dirty deed for me. Despite never having cut hair before he actually turned out to be quite good at it!
Hope all went well for you!

clairenewcastle
September 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Do post some pics, we'd all love to see the results! Can understand your nervousness, over the years I've had so many bad experiences with trims - or what should have been trims but turned out otherwise - that I ended up asking my husband to do the dirty deed for me. Despite never having cut hair before he actually turned out to be quite good at it!
Hope all went well for you!
Just seen your pic! It looks great!

cindy58
September 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Your trim looks super!

yellowchariot
September 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM
sorry that these aren't great pictures, taken my the very talented kid sister on her camera phone :D I am wearing totally unflattering clothes and facial expressions and my glasses have gone wonky, but nevermind :p

before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50510http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50507
after:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50508http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50509

^ IMO I think you got a great cut. Awesome! :thumbsup:

little_acorn
September 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Looks great :D

Fiferstone
September 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Oooh...very nice indeed. Hang on to that stylist, she's a keeper.

freckles
September 18th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Oooh...very nice indeed. Hang on to that stylist, she's a keeper.
I plan on it!
Don't know if I'd mentioned it before - but it's an Aveda salon, so all the products are cone-free, which is great for my hair, and she also washed with a clarifying shampoo to remove any residual cone build up (I'm new to no-cone). She actually ASKED me if she should use straighteners or not (of course, I said no) and then listened to my answer. :D

Oh, and when she went to make the first cut, she said "actually ... is it okay if I ask you to stand up? it's uhm ... quite long".

Which obviously made my day! :D

She's fersure a keeper :)